Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Spike calls Giles a git during the musical, IIRC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Pan Dulce posted:

Isn't Beer Bad the episode Whedon regrets writing the most? It's "Just Say No," pandering trash, but it's funny.

IIRC, he recognizes it as one folks generally don't like but thinks it has its moments.

Also, that episode was written specifically for the Office of National Drug Control Policy, which was offering money to shows that pushed anti-drug messaging. As I recall, they didn't end up getting the money because the show was seen as too ridiculous or something.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

LividLiquid posted:

It was an idea grandiose enough that I can see why some consider it disappointing because, much like The First, they really didn't have the budget to do it, but dammit, they were gonna' try.

I liked both, but you can definitely see the strings, so to speak.

I forget the name of the YouTube Buffy reviewer (Passion of the Nerd? I think?) who said it or if they were just quoting someone else, but the phrase "Camp is where ambition meets budget" has taken a permanent spot in my brain.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
we should probably forget Repo, the Genetic Opera

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I feel like the window wherein a proper HD remaster was potentially on the table has passed, especially with Whedon being (deservedly) dead and buried. It's hard to see any kind of momentum gathering around it at this point.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

banned from Starbucks posted:

Let's face it. Even if they did reboot it that reboot would be total dogshit anyway.

I ran a Daria/pop culture podcast for a few years, and two things really stuck out to me and completely changed how I look at the idea of a Buffy (or Daria) reboot:

a) Today's teenagers still find and relate to these shows. Not in droves, obviously, but more than you'd think. We heard from them a bunch. This is because ...

b) Being a teenager still sucks poo poo in a lot of the same ways as it always has, for just about everyone, ever.

I think the huge potentially fatal flaw of a Buffy reboot would be that it'd try speaking more to the audience that loved the original show as it was airing — folks who haven't been teens for a long time. That's speculation, obviously, but I don't think it's hard to imagine a show that awkwardly fumbles its way through trying to tell Buffy's story in a way that appeals to a bunch of 40-year-olds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Veryslightlymad posted:

I dunno how many times I have watched this show, but Dawn (and Michelle's performance thereof) gets better in my estimation every single time.

Same. I would encourage folks who haven't watched in a while and remember hating her to go back and try again now that you have a few more years behind you. It's not a guarantee, but you might be surprised how much you like Dawn this time around. See also: Quinn Morgendorffer (I promise this is the last time I bring up Daria in the Buffy thread).