Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

BrianWilly posted:

Still, the one great thing about this particular series is that it was eventually revealed, two years and twenty-five issues into its run, that it all takes place in the world without shrimp. No, seriously. :xd:

Ha, have they also shown the universe that is nothing BUT shrimp that Illyria mentioned in Angel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Didn't she also become, like, hyper-Christian a couple years after she was off the show and sort of denounced it, or something?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Pan Dulce posted:

Ripper is hotter nowadays,

Man, if there was a way we could get some sort of Ripper and Co. spin-off show set in the 70's London underground punk scene, but without having to give Joss any more money/credit, that would rule.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Weird sudden season changes and character assassination of Cordelia aside, I still like several parts of season 4. The Angelus arc (and the perfect twist of "Awakening") was good, and I love the final half dozen or so episodes of Season 4, once Jasmine actually shows up. The episode with Fred on the rib from the Jasmine-Ites was so creepy

Certainly not the first media I saw that dealt with the idea of "World Peace, but at what cost?" But I like the idea that Jasmine was one of The Powers That Be that wasn't content with subtle nudges of fate, or just having Champions do their work for them.

Edit: My girlfriend is also really weird with Buffy...she loves Seasons 1-4, and then hasn't gone much beyond that. She's started 5 but, as much as it pains me to say...she HATES Glory! I'm not even sure she ever got far enough for the Dawn reveal. And she's never seen Angel and despite my efforts, doesn't want to start it.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 6, 2023

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

It's kind of silly how much Angel and company go on and on about the Shansu Prophecy, and how of angel does all these good deeds it gets to be a real boy again...when he already was in "I Will Remember You," and decided that he was not able to live as a human again because he couldn't be a liability to the ones he loves.

But even if he decides he does want to be human again...why are you bothering with a stupid prophecy? Just go find another one of those green demons with the red gemstone in their head.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Man, most vampires are really stupid. Know what the first thing I'd do as a vamp? Buy (well...steal) the best stab-proof vest there is, and never take it off.

Or just, like, get two 6" square (or so) pieces of steel and literally bolt them to each other through my body to cover the front and back off my heart.

Sure, it would hurt at first, but vampires heal quick, it would just be like a piercing to them.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

And why did Jenny ask Angelus about entering the school like he needed an invitation to enter a public place he had been in many times before? To say nothing of how Spike led an invasion into the school earlier that very season.

(Really the only flaw in "Passion")

And prior to that, how did Angelus enter the home of her uncle to kill him?

Or was her Uncle in a hotel, thus allowing Angelus to enter (and how long do yo have to be in a hotel room before you're considered "living" there?)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Speaking of Angel... We know the first time Willow re-ensouled him, she also included the Perfect Happiness part of the curse because that's the only way he knew on account of just copying the original curse.

But... You'd think by the second time she did it five years later, having become one of the most powerful witches (human witches, at any rate) in the world, she maybe might could have omitted that last part and let the poor guy have real, true, perfect happiness again?

And then my second question regarding Angels soul... When it was removed by the shaman in season 4, HAD that shaman not been killed by Jasmine -as-Cordelia/The Beast, would HE have been able to put it back in such a way as to avoid that part of the curse?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

The curious thing about the "fake" prophecy that Sahjhan made...is that it wasn't fake. It DID come true, in a way.

The literal one that Wesley translates as "The Father will Kill the Son" sort of comes true, in the sneaky ways that prophecies do, at the end of Season 4 when Angel has to kill (or at least stab him pretty drat bad to make it look like he killed him) for the WHM deal to get finalized so Connor can get an alternate "good" life.

And the more "poetic" version of "The vampire will devour the son" that the Hamburger Loa tells Wesley happens a little more literally. Angel drank his own son's blood...he devoured him, after a fashion.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Everyone posted:

David Boreanaz does a good job as heroic characters (Angel; Seely Booth; Jason Hayes) but he goes next loving level as a villainous Angelus.

I know a lot of people didn't like the second time he was Angelus (not counting flashbacks" or that weird episode when he was drugged into THINKING he was happy, so he also THOUGHT he became Angelus?) in season 4 of Angel, but I liked the slightly goofier, more manic-energy version.

"Uh-oh, vampire with a gun!"

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Pan Dulce posted:

The rumors back then were that Illyria was going to find a way to be separated from Fred and I'd like to think Wesley and Fred could have had a happy ending.

I've heard that rumor before, but how does that reconcile with the line they have after Illyria first appears that Fred's soul was burnt up in the process? Or was that line/episode written afte they knew they were cancelled?

Still a fuckin' bitch of a thing to do to Fred's character.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

Illyria is a man in a woman's body.

Well...I'd say more "ancient, near god-like being who transcends sex and gender" in a woman's body.

But speaking of Illyria, it kind of annoyed me that after the episode with the time shenanigans where they mange to de-power her, her only powers from then on seemed to be...strong, tough/hard to kill, and can slightly change her appearance to be less-blue.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Pan Dulce posted:

I don't think they do. If you think about it too much, you poke holes in everything. Why not turn the Key into a dirty penny and slip it into currency? It's dumb, but it gave us Dawn, so excuse the nonsense.

Well, Glory did use at least one spell (the man-lizard one) to find the key, so if it was a penny, a rock at the bottom of the ocean, etc... I think she eventually would have found it. She must have had some kind of sixth sense about where it was already, or at least knew it would be at the Hellmouth, and managed to get Ben to move there. Or its a HELL of a coincidence that's where Ben/Glory just happened to be.

Making "it" into a sister with fake memories but (and this is key(:haw:)) REAL feelings, the monks were taking the calculated risk the Slayer would be a LOT more willing to protect her and, if need be, die for her.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Pan Dulce posted:

In fact, a lot of the monster design in most of the episodes is really detailed and I love the usage of practical effects and makeup to make something look out of this world. Optic Nerve Studios was really really good at their jobs.

Yeah, even morso in Angel, I think. Skip* and The Beast are just top-tier designs.

*Well...mostly. Doing an Angel rewatch and noticed at the end of S4 when they trap Skip in the circle, his top half design is solid...but his legs just look like the actor is wearing grey sweatpants, lol. I'm guessing for mobility reasons, since he moves a lot more in that scene that his other appearances (at least moves more in wide0angle shots we see his whole body.)

Probably looked find on the vast majority of TVs at the time (non-HD, sub-32"), but is pretty noticeable on my giant TV.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

banned from Starbucks posted:

Tara is like an OK side character. No way anyone gives enough of a poo poo for her to pull off being a season ending big bad. Plus what would even set her off?

Plot-twist:
Her family from season 4 was right, and she really does have some sort of evil demon inside of her. Spike was still able to hurt her because the demon was buried deep enough in her, or whatever, that the chip didn't register it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

When Angel was a puppet, we see he is still has his demon essence inside of him, as he even does a "vamp face" transformation as a puppet. He also seems pretty durable, as Werewolf-Nina torn him to pieces, but was just able to be stitched back up again. However, I can't recall to what degree his puppet-head does or does not leave his puppet-body. So...how invulnerable was he as a puppet? I imagine fire would still kill him, because...well...fire burns fabric pretty drat well.

But would he be immune to sunlight? My initial idea is "no" because he clearly still has the demon inside of him. But what about a stake in the heart? He doesn't HAVE a heart anymore, does he?

Edit: Holy poo poo, Nina the Werewolf is married to the Pie-Fucker?!

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 7, 2023

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think the original plan for Angel was to have Whistler be his guide, but then I think someone realized they'd have to pay character royalty rights to whoever wrote that first episode with him in it for the entirety of the Angel series, so they made up Doyle instead.

See also: Tom Paris from Star Trek: Voyager It's the same actor and BASICALLY the same backstory as the character he plays in a TNG episode where he and Wesley accidentally get someone killed at the academy, but they change his name to avoid the aforementioned royalties.

But also, Whistler was stupid. Why is he a weird, rat-pack wannabe?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

So they saved it for Tara.

Which resulted in people thinking Harmony would die the first episode in Season 5 she is added to the opening credits.

I mean...they only had like an hour to think that, but I remember posts on internet boards after the episode aired along the lines of,
"I saw Mercedes name in the credits and thought they were going to pull a Tara on us and have Harmony get staked!"

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Finished my Angel rewatch, and this time I really noticed how God-drat fast they sprint towards that end, basically two episodes and a couple smaller pieces sprinkled in earlier (like Angel giving the baby to the Fell.)

Guessing the sudden cancellation notice is what made them have to wrap it up all quick, because it's REALLY bizarre that everyone (both his friends and the Circle) all believe that in the span of a couple months he TOTALLY went evil and is DEFINTELY joining the Circle, and not trying to take them down. At the very least, he should have pretended he DID change back to Angelus, because other than trying to "gotcha" him by forcing him to sign away his Shanshu rights, they really didn't do much to test he was evil. I mean...I guess they had him kill Drogan, and he made it LOOK like he had Fred killed, but still odd they believed that. Especially since he didn't get anything out of it? The point of that season was (sort of) the old adage that was that "Power corrupts" but if he orchestrated Fred's death, to what end? What power did The Circle think he gained by doing that? The Circle didn't seem to be "evil for evil's sake", so simply killing your good friend JuST BECAUSE doesn't seem like the kind of thing they'd care about.

But man, if that had another season where Angel slowly started to be (at least appear) like he WAS getting more corrupt from running WR&M? It really would be a lot more believable. And would draw a nice corollary to season 2 when he felt he lost his purpose.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Oasx posted:

R.I.P. Glenn Quinn, he was my favorite part of Angel until season 5.

"Is that it? Am I done?"

:smith:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

To be fair, can we REALLY say with any certainty what an Irish accent from the 1700's would have sounded like? Maybe it WAS spot-on.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Is the last time, chronologically, we hear the accent
shortly after he gets his soul and joins back up with Darla, Spike, and Dru during the Boxer Rebellion? Or did he still have it in the brief scene we see of him arriving in America at Ellis Island in the ep. where Faith gives him a magic drug and travels through his memories?

I know he's lost it by the time in that same episode they have the scene in the 1920s when he saves a dog.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

"Where the Wild Things Are?" Well I'm sure this amazing homage to a classic Maurice Sendeck book is CRUCIAL for my understanding of the series.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I mean...I do appreciate the joke at the end when it's like,
"Oh, the SEX GHOSTS! That's why Buffy and Riley were just in there banging all day and night!"

And they both just give this knowing look,
"Yeah, sex ghosts...that's it. Heh...not just young and horny...totally the sex ghosts. Sure did suck, all that sex ghost sex."

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'm familiar with his behaviour, but as far as I remember -- based on the recording with Tim Minear in this thread, and from some fairly obvious foreshadowing towards the end of the season -- the character's possession and subsequent villain turn had been planned out since season three.

True, there was the stuff with Skip making her part demon so she can then get ascended into a higher realm as a prep for WHATEVER the initial plan for her with season 4 was, but I don't think the original plan would have been the whole Jasmine coming back as a possessed-Cordelia for the purposes of seducing and having sex with Connor, who is functionally her adopted son in order to give birth to herself. And then sideline her as "in a coma" the last 5/6 episodes of S4, and all of S5 save 1 episode where she has a token appearance as a half-assed apology so she can have the last time the character appears be the ACTUAL character, not an "evil" higher being, doing something good.

That being said, I've mentioned it before, but the messiness and that one REAL big ick factor of season 4 aside, I liked the IDEA of it.

A higher being who has sort of lost her message/purpose, and goes full-on "The ends justify the means" to achieve world peace, as it were.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Pan Dulce posted:

We kept going and watched the next Angel episode, S1 E14, I've Got You Under My Skin. Demonio child was acted very well. I loved when he started choking out his mom with his lil' hands, it reminded me of Stan in American Dad, AKA Baby Legs O'Houlihan and I just cracked up.

That's one of my favorite Season 1 episodes. I've mentioned it before, but I love the idea of a demon possessing a child and then immediately regretting it because the child is more evil than the demon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Laterite posted:

Well, one exception: Lorne. There's always Lorne. :unsmith:

Lorney Toons? :allears:

RIP Andy Hallet.