Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

roomtone posted:

The thing with Xander is I think they finally made him loveable in S4+5, and then hosed it up in S6. I can't remember if he properly recovered in S7 cos I never finish it. Just keep that guy happy in the support squad and being uncomplicatedly in love with Anya. That's a good spot for him.

Early S7 Xander is great. They kinda reimagine a new core trio of Buffy, Xander, and Dawn, and he’s kind of a dad/responsible figure in her life, it’s really a great use of him.

Then the writers forget about him after episode six until it’s time to poke his eye out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I had always heard that part of the change up with Cordelia's pregnancy was switching up the big bads of Angel s4 and Buffy s7. Buffy was supposed to fight Caleb and Jasmine and Angel The First.

But that was always early days of internet rumors so I'm not sure how true it is.

Caleb was never part of any plan, come on. He was clearly "well, we've figured out the First sucks as a villain because we can't punch it and Nathan Fillion is available and we don't have any other ideas" thing.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Fighting Trousers posted:

(I seriously don't even remember what Caleb's deal even was, other than the misogyny, and I don't care to go back and look)
Once in a while he had metaphor sex with the First and that powered him up. That's it.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSXK2c-LWgg&t=1634s

Here's an interview with Tim Minear and David Fury where they talk about how they only came up with the idea for Jasmine, including the world peace/eating people thing, after they learned about Charisma's pregnancy. That would have been months into writing and filming the season. Jasmine was never planned for Buffy, the idea of Jasmine didn't even exist when they were setting out the seasons.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

just call them buffybots itt

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

It's kind of silly how much Angel and company go on and on about the Shansu Prophecy, and how of angel does all these good deeds it gets to be a real boy again...when he already was in "I Will Remember You," and decided that he was not able to live as a human again because he couldn't be a liability to the ones he loves.

But even if he decides he does want to be human again...why are you bothering with a stupid prophecy? Just go find another one of those green demons with the red gemstone in their head.

That's not a plot hole, that's very much the point of both I Will Remember You and the Shanshu (or at least until Spike comes along to complicate the Shanshu). There's a coming apocalypse in which Angel is supposed to play a pivotal role. In I Will Remember You, we learn that if he's human, instead of him stopping it, Buffy dies. In To Shanshu in L.A., we learn that when he stops it, his reward is to become human.

If he tracks down another putty patroller and uses his blood to become human, the apocalypse isn't stopped, and Buffy dies. He knows this for as close as a fact as can be known, because messengers from TPTB told him. That's not an option he can take.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

banned from Starbucks posted:

He was an odd one. His shtick was what? computers? or vampires who use the internet or something? I remember he ordered fast food and ate the driver and being like "The modern Vampire!" or something goofy and its like yeah but you just used a telephone.

I think they came into S3 trying to do more "modern society/technology" stories, and less ancient ritual. It didn't really end up doing a lot of work thematically or coming together, but they seemed to try a bunch of different things: Anne and The Wish showing villains running assembly lines, Mr. Trick's entire yuppie deal, the weird spy gadget slayer hunters in Homecoming.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

G-Spot Run posted:

The First is ethereal and can't touch things, they thought he was evil because nobody had seen him touch anything.

.. as for the joke it was a different time.

It made no sense!! We, onscreen, didn't see him touch anything, but what, he stood around for several weeks ominously hovering and nobody noticed anything?? He never ate or used the bathroom or

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

GoutPatrol posted:

I think they describe eating human food as being possible but bland and off putting. There is a one off line of Spike liking weetabix or something because it thickens up the blood. Or in Angel season 5 the blood they drink tastes great because they added otter.

They added otter blood to pig's blood. It's not human food in that case.

But yeah Spike also liked the blooming onion.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I think it's the best season of the show! It feels like the show finally realising what themes it's been working with this whole time and actually crystallising and interrogating them.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

You know how dog owners will have a dog, and the dog goes up to a stranger and starts acting aggressive and the dog owner will be like "haha, don't worry, he's friendly", and then the dog will actually bite the stranger.

But yeah, the Buffy writers ran into the Gul Dukat problem where they made their evil monster character so cool that the audience started to like him and characters in the show start to treat him normally, and they had to make a hard swerve into "no wait this guy is actually evil and sucks".

There's something about how the show treats Xander, who is seemingly always the only person to remember that vampires are bad. But the show often seems to treat Xander as close-minded or bigoted for holding that opinion?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Okay but he's right about Angel and Spike.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

thebardyspoon posted:

That episode late in season 4 is the only skippable one, where Buffy and Riley are stuck boning in the ghost house. Even then it's been so long that maybe I'd watch it just to see if there's something good I've forgotten about it.

Edit: gently caress that list is loving wild, yeah don't even look at that shite. loving hell it gets worse, they recommend skipping New Man and Fear Itself.

That's the episode Giles sings Behind Blue Eyes in. Unskippable.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Medullah posted:

That's pretty common in Hollywood contacts. The biggest star of a movie gets the last opening credit in a bigger font with an introduction like "with/s"

It's fun when they go funky. This is a series regular on Gilmore Girls, but yeah sure every one of his appearances is special why not.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Episode 12: kill off Cordelia
Episode 15: kill off Fred
Episode 17: wait we've got one woman left

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 11, 2023

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I didn't forget Eve no, I just didn't count her.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I don't think "planned" and "Circle" are words that should appear in the same sentence. It's very clearly an idea they came up with while scrambling to write the series finale. They couldn't thematically have The Gang defeat W&H, so they just threw together "uhhhh what if every monster of the week from this season were part of a secret society, does that work".

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Pan Dulce posted:

As for the Angel episode, I'm still slightly cheesed that he doesn't take the chance the Gem of Amara gives him to just BE with Buffy. One of the things he said was he wanted her to be with someone who could take her into the light. Well, you had it. Technically, when he turns human in a later episode, he has it AGAIN. And he still gives up both for his brooding journey into angst for the sake of forgiveness that's just never going to come.

He also very literally has the voice of god tell him "if you remain human, Buffy will die prematurely" that second time, so he's not just indulging his brooding.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

- holy crap I know this was the 90s but the image/sound quality at times feels like a home movie, unless it's a Hulu thing

the first seasons were made on the cheap, and shot in 16mm. They used 35mm film for seasons 3 and on.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

roomtone posted:

i think the bad eps in S2 are considered to be like: bad eggs, go fish, and maybe a couple of the early stand alones like inca mummy girl or some assembly required.

i basically agree those episodes aren't winners in the same way some of the others are but i like some of the standalones like reptile boy or ted more than i like some arc episodes like what's my line pt1+2 which i think is kinda weak.

in s3 there's less of a bad episodes perception but there are a few and they are near the start of the season - dead man's party, beauty and the beasts and homecoming. although i actually like the homecoming episode as goofy fun, i think people just don't like buffy and cordelia fighting in that one cos it feels like a character regression which i guess it is for both.

helpless isn't considered a bad episode, but the betrayal of giles injecting buffy like that is a bit crazy cos i don't believe he would do that at all even if he does try to make up for it in the same episode.

when i was younger, i was all about the arc episodes in both shows but nowadays i appreciate stand alones a lot more.

I think people like Homecoming!

I'd add Killed By Death in S2.

S1's kind of a different beast, but I think The Pack and I Robot You Jane stand out.

Gingerbread kinda sucks too.

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Also I gotta say I love the episodes that put a spin on the regular character dynamics, like the one with the old people turning into juvenile delinquents. Also the alt timeline with the S1 villain becoming powerful.

I guess those would be considered standalones

Those are two of the most beloved eps in the series.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Pan Dulce posted:

Still doesn't explain why Faith never did it. <_<

When would she have done it? When she was in a coma, or when she was in prison?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Pan Dulce posted:

True. I always assumed, based on her mannerisms, the fact that she doesn't go to school anymore, and her looks, that Faith was older than Buffy. Do they ever say when she was born?

It's probably what you said though.

Not in the show, no.

She might be older than Buffy. It's possible that she turned 18 sometime after her first Watcher died and then when Wesley finally shows up there's no way they're going through with the test, but :shrug:.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Right, the Master is portrayed as canny and cautious and conservative, and that helps him survive, but as far as we know, across several hundreds of years, he never actually does anything except survive and create a small cult of a handful of people who hide in the sewers. The scenario in The Wish is a result of his gang opening the Hellmouth during The Harvest, but any idiot can open the Hellmouth.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Veryslightlymad posted:

It might also be my pick for most underrated episode. Hard to say if I think it's the most underrated episode or if I think that honor is for I Only Have Eyes For You.

IOHEFY is so well constructed, it's incredible how they hid a huge emotional catharsis for the Angelus arc inside a normal-rear end monster of the week episode. You don't see it coming at all because of the gender switch trick, but when it happens it absolutely hits like a brick. I'm just so impressed whenever I think about how the episode is built.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I've thought about it but I'm not watching along with Angel. Of course I picked up on some crossover with Angel's Thanksgiving visit* then in the next episode Buffy mentioned visiting him

*Xander blabbing at the end was funny and why we like to have him around

I think it'd be well worth watching the other half of those crossovers. "I Will Remember You" for the end of the Thanksgiving two-parter (SMG visits Angel), and "Five by Five" and "Sanctuary" for the end of the Faith arc.

Not watching Angel is fine, but those three eps are great and finish Buffy stories.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Angel didn't really have a consistent showrunner, either, so it'd be hard to explain "no crossovers" by that.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

He's an Actual Singer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Uq2vaP2cLU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

G-Spot Run posted:

Assuming we're talking about Andrew? I never got that either, I always thought it should have been Jonathan that remained, seeing as he's been in the series since the first episode and actually developed as a character over that time. I heard at the time there were meta production reasons, ie who was friends with the writers.

Kennedy

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Tara/Buffy, Tara/Dawn, Tara/Anya, great, yeah. Tara might as well be wallpaper when she's with Willow.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Yeah the show was shot and blocked for 4:3. The widescreen version shouldn't exist.

I very distinctly remember people in 2002-2003 swearing up and down that Andrew's sexuality was ambiguous it was very odd.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58TXdFxHu58

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

True, there was the stuff with Skip making her part demon so she can then get ascended into a higher realm as a prep for WHATEVER the initial plan for her with season 4 was, but I don't think the original plan would have been the whole Jasmine coming back as a possessed-Cordelia for the purposes of seducing and having sex with Connor, who is functionally her adopted son in order to give birth to herself. And then sideline her as "in a coma" the last 5/6 episodes of S4, and all of S5 save 1 episode where she has a token appearance as a half-assed apology so she can have the last time the character appears be the ACTUAL character, not an "evil" higher being, doing something good.

That being said, I've mentioned it before, but the messiness and that one REAL big ick factor of season 4 aside, I liked the IDEA of it.

A higher being who has sort of lost her message/purpose, and goes full-on "The ends justify the means" to achieve world peace, as it were.

I think the giving birth to herself and getting replaced by Jasmine bit was reworked, but Charisma's pregnancy came relatively late! Baby was born in late March, that put conception date around early July of the previous year. By the time Apocalypse, Now-ish aired, she was only about four months pregnant. Given production lead times of a few months, pregnancy timing, and the fact that Cordy/Connor was foreshadowed before Apocalypse, Now-ish, I think it's really likely that the gross relationship was the original plan. It just doesn't seem possible for Charisma to discover and announce that she's pregnant in time for them to write that in the show.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

And to answer what I think the poster was asking, that was in Buffy S2.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Doctor Teeth posted:

I don't know much about like aspect ratios and HD and SD (aside from the obvious eye test), so with that in mind:

is it actually possible for BtVS to be presented in HD or will it inevitably look like that one fresco of Jesus in that spanish church that was "restored"?

It was shot on film, so in principle it should be possible to do a TNG-style restoration. You might want to redo the effects, and the costumes would look shoddy and the stunt doubles would be even more obvious, but it's possible.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Doctor Teeth posted:

Can they not crop the widescreen version or is it one of those things where there probably won't be enough people buying a blu ray to make it worth the time, effort and money?

The TNG Blu-ray remaster was in 4:3 just like the original, yeah.

But yeah there was probably no better candidate, market-wise, for an HD remaster than TNG, and it clearly didn't do well enough for Paramount to move on to DS9 and Voyager. No shot Buffy can commercially justify itself.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Constantly using SMG as the face of the First instead of paying different actors,

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Doctor Teeth posted:

No kidding. I saw another one in the season 4 finale when Tara, Willow, Xander and Anya are in the ice cream truck in Xander's dream. Tara is talking but her mouth isn't moving.
That's not a widescreen blocking goof, it's just part of the episode.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Behind Blue Eyes is absolutely not a Coldplay song

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Just like Smooth Criminal is an Alien Ant Farm song, sure.