Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

There are familiar faces from Buffy who pop up in Angel...besides Angel himself I mean. One character in particular grows so much on Angel that it's startling. A total 180 doesn't even begin to describe how much they change and improve in terms of being a compelling character.

I actually did a rewatch of Buffy and Angel quite a few years ago, and there are 'timelines' online showing what order you should alternate Buffy/Angel episodes to keep the continuity roughly similar. It was certainly pretty cool having someone temporarily disappear from one show and arrive in the other as a guest star for a few episodes, made the world seem more real and not something a lot of shows have been able to do.

And yeah, I still think of Wesley when I want an example of good character development. It's almost impossible to pinpoint when he went from comically ineffective toff to one of the most badass characters in the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

boquiabierta posted:

^^hi jabby! I’ve wondered what happened to you in the healthcare stories thread, nice to see you again!

Thanks :) I've taken a bit of a break from the healthcare chat outside of working hours, the pandemic has been a bit gruelling.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

roomtone posted:

Spike's basically never 'evil' on the show the way other villains are, at least not since mid S2 when they realised they weren't killing him off. It's more that he is just only interested in how he feels, and acts accordingly. How he feels can either be good or bad for other people. Him getting the soul just gives him the ability to look beyond himself for a second and realise okay maybe how I feel about this isn't the only or even relevant thing. You need to sort of ignore the usual vampire rules when thinking about Spike and just think about him as a person for a lot of it to work.

I thought they handled the 'what does a soul do?' thing pretty well with Spike.

Sure, prior to getting re-souled he can logically work out what is the good/evil course of action, and how his actions might affect other people, he just can't actually empathise with anyone. He's like a psychopath trying to live a normal life, he knows what the consequences of his actions might be but he doesn't feel any guilt over them. So of course his love for Buffy is twisted and manipulative, he desperately wants to be with her but he doesn't actually care about her feelings beyond how they influence her actions towards him. If he can manipulate her into ditching her friends and spending more time with him, that's a 100% positive result. How it makes her feel isn't even on his radar.

And ultimately of course (in my opinion), the reason he goes to get his soul back isn't because he feels guilty over anything he's done. It's because he realises that without that ability to feel her emotions he's going to drive her away for good.

EDIT: Although I admit I really like the contrast they explore in Angel between a vampire that was cursed with a soul and one who sought it out willingly.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Soulless Spike's morality is a debate that will probably never end and I commented on it just the other day on Reddit where somebody was trying to say he was always a psychopath.

In philosophy, there's a theory called psychological egoism. Basically anything a person does or thinks is ultimately selfish or at least self-interested. This leads to all sorts of silly poo poo because you're starting with a conclusion and bending over backwards to explain how everything fits into it. That's how I see people who want to insist Spike was pure evil end of story. This is not even a case of later retcons because even in S2 we have the narrative spelling it out to us via the Judge who hates the love he sees in Spike and Dru but there is not a shred of that in Angelus.

In S5, we have two perfect examples where you really have to mangle the facts back into the conclusion of "Spike is a purely evil, selfish being." First, there's how he tries to leave flowers in Joyce's memory completely anonymously. And two, there was how he refused to give up Dawn to Glory even though he was very much a dead man. In neither case can he get any actual benefit from these noble acts.

I'm not saying Spike was a great and swell guy. But if we have something like a Good and Evil Meter with 10 is Pure Goodand -10 is Pure Evil, S5 Spike is probably around a 0, maybe even 1 or 2. Angelus or Caleb would be like -10 and his old self probably would be at least a -6 or -7 or something. Sorry for the nerdy numbers, I'm just trying to get across my point as clearly as possible.

Spike as a vampire is just a bundle of questions and weirdness. Speaking o Angelus, we see him in life as Liam. We see Spike in life as William. Spike is fundamentally the same person as he was in life but Liam and Angelus have nothing in common with the one being an impulsive lout and the other a methodical and calculating monster.

I think the conflict is assuming "he's a psychopath" means "he's purely selfish and evil" when it really just means he doesn't feel empathy.

Sure, some real-life psychopaths become serial killers but plenty of them lead normal lives (and may actually have an advantage in some careers). Obviously it helps that psychopathy in humans is more of a spectrum, but just lacking empathy doesn't automatically mean you'll behave badly, especially if you put a lot of conscious thought into what the consequences of your behaviour will be. And especially especially if you're consciously trying to be a 'good' person, like Spike presumably is.

So refusing to give up Dawn makes sense even if you assume he doesn't feel anything for her, because he doesn't want the world to be destroyed. Both for selfish reasons and because preventing the world being destroyed is obviously what a good person would do. Him leaving flowers for Joyce is harder to explain, but even if he doesn't feel anything for her he still understands the concepts that a friend dying is sad and that leaving flowers is considered a nice gesture.

So yeah, it's complicated, but I still think the best explanation for his morality is that he intellectually knows the difference between good and evil, he remembers his life before being vamped and he can usually work out how his behaviour will make other people feel, but he lacks true empathy and he lacks the guilt that comes with hurting others. The reason he's hard to get a read on is because he's often actively trying to compensate for those traits. He just doesn't always do a great job, especially where choosing the 'good' option conflicts with something else he wants.

As for the question of "why is he trying to be good now when he wasn't before", I think you can either put it down to him enjoying spending time with the Scooby gang and wanting it to continue, some sort of deeper moral revelation from spending more time around humans and remembering more of his past, or just plain being bored with being the villain. But the biggest factor is probably falling in love with Buffy and wanting to imitate her/impress her, whereas his behaviour before was more driven by his relationship with Dru and Angelus.

jabby fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 16, 2022

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

The Notorious ZSB posted:

My forever crush on Dushku is entirely because of BtVS :swoon:

I guess also Bring it On, but I only recognized her there because of Buffy.

I actually really liked her in Tru Calling. Such a shame that got cancelled on a cliffhanger.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

The Ted episode is indeed pretty disturbing for seeing Buffy basically get an abusive step-father. The existence of perfectly human appearing androids has always been one of the weirder bits of the show though.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

sad question posted:

I am reminded of this great bit from Angel when he decides to go to the Wolfram & Hart "home world" and gets a talk about evil from Holland:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTiYR9PsmXc&t=158s

As wacky as Angel could get, I really love the plot device of Wolfram & Hart 'gifting' him control of the LA branch.

It really drew a dividing line between Angel and Buffy (exemplified when Andrew turns up and point-blank tells Angel nobody trusts him anymore), and it fit completely with the Senior Partner's characterisation of not really caring about the little things, or even the overall balance of good and evil, but just about keeping the game going.

It's also just an ingenious move on their part, the bureaucracy keeps him busy and obviously nothing corrupts like power.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

sad question posted:

I felt they did a poor job of integrating him into the cast. Few fun interactions with people aside from Buffy.

And when they gave him drama it was weird poo poo like getting addicted to crack whore vampires sucking him.

Yeah, Spike and Angel always had decent chemistry with the rest of the Scooby gang. Riley had... nothing. I just remember them all being pretty indifferent to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Marenghi posted:

I don't know if Riley would have been better as an actual normal college guy over normal college guy who's secretly special forces.

Probably.

"Slayer tries to date a normal guy" could have been an interesting contrast to "Slayer dates a vampire". But with Riley already being a bad-rear end demon-hunter it ended up being pretty close to "Slayer dates a male, slightly less effective Slayer" which is just dull.