Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bolingbroke
Jan 4, 2015

roomtone posted:

it's really just specifically the attempted rape that i don't think they should have put in there. it's too ugly, in a season which already has plenty ugly, even though it is something he would plausibly do. they could've done something else, that's all.
I saw someone once suggest Spike should have tried to vamp her rather than rape her, which would have been so much better. Have it happen after Warren shoots her. Spike could genuinely believe he was doing the 'right' thing: saving her life (sorta) while also fulfilling her "death wish" that he's been fixated on since the beginning, while it also being more overtly selfishly motivated in making it more easy for them to be together if she's a vampire. It would also be an interesting reversal/callback of Buffy forcing Angel to drink her when he was shot by Faith's vampire poison arrow. And there's still a sexual subtext to it of course, but it's far less traumatic.

That could have been a really good, pathetic scene for Spike: trying to force a basically dead Buffy to drink from him. Then Xander (yeah he's the worst but he's the one present in the shooting scene) tells him to gently caress off, that he doesn't know what "right" is, that Buffy would hate to be turned, that they need to call an ambulance, etc. And you have Spike realise how badly he hosed up and by wasting time not calling 911 he could've got Buffy properly killed. So off he goes to atone, get his soul, etc. It hits the same story beats but in a far less upsetting way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolingbroke
Jan 4, 2015
I used to watch the pre-watershed airing of Buffy in the UK (6.45pm Thursdays, BBC 2), which they would censor for the timeslot. They usually censored sexual references and violence (Warren's flaying was heavily cut down). The only profanity I remember getting cut was the use of 'bitch'.

One of the worst pieces of censorship was in Dead Things, where they cut various bits from the final Katrina/Warren scene. You lose her accusing them of rape as well as the actual murder, both of which they just cut around, so the scene is incoherent.

Bolingbroke
Jan 4, 2015
Connor talking like a slick MTV teen when he was raised semi-feral by an 18th century Englishman has always been my nitpick.

Dawn rules.