Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Posted my reply to you in Couch Chat but hey, dedicated thread so I'll copy paste.

Buffy was the first show I was a mega fan of. Well, maybe South Park, but Buffy was one that I started exploring internet message boards and web pages for, bought the books and just genuinely loved it. I taped the first episode and since I loved it so much I kept taping them, and actually had the whole series on VHS. I didn't get rid of the collection until the series finally came out on DVD. I actually kind of wish I'd kept them as a memento

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rhyno posted:

"I'd like to test that theory" is such a badass line to walk back in on. I fuckin love Giles.

One of my favorite moments.

I liked when he killed Ben at the end of season 5. He really did the dirty work when he needed to.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Man Buffy was so good for 17 year old me. Hilarious, horror, action, plus so many beautiful women. Eliza and Sarah were my crushes for a very, very long time.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

This isn't really relevant but I'll never get over how dashing rogue Han Solo(Harrison Ford) is actually older then elderly evil wizard Palpatine(Ian McDiarmid).

A bit more relevant about the incongruity between actors and their characters - the idea Nicholas Brendon and Alyson Hannigan can't get dates does stretch the suspension of disbelief. Yes, confidence is important, and toxic high school environments can furthe distort things, but...come on.

My favorite age gap will always be Karate Kid 3 where Vietnam veteran and cackling rich guy villain Terry Silver was younger than Ralph Macchio

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

And yet Buffy was always viewed in my experience as a very "for girls" show.

Yeah I was embarrassed at first but then I found a few other friends that secretly loved it too

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

To be fair they never felt like they dressed the cast what felt like in teen fashion, but I don't think it would have helped.

Though to be fair, compared to "teenagers" on Riverdale they look like Junior High students

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I really never liked Cordelia in Buffy, but man she fit in Angel much better

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I really do love the anti climactic nature of that scene. "No weapon forged by man can kill me.... What's that".

I cackled like a maniac at that part. It's funny too because I wrote a short story just a short time before the episode aired where cultists were summoning an ancient Lovecraftian nightmare and am old ex army vet just wanted to get some sleep and those pesky kids were making a racket so he shot the monster with a bazooka heh

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

There was some vampire movie, TV show or book where the vampire took his heart out of his body and put it somewhere to protect it so he was practically invulnerable or similar. Was silly logic but it was something different. Wish I could remember what it was

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Everyone posted:

I think that's a thing that the Setites can do in the Vampire: the Masquerade RPG, but it's been a long time since I cared about World of Darkness stuff.

Hmm maybe that's it. I got into VTM for able 3 months when the show Kindred was in.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

Season 3 gets all the love, but for my money, Season 2 is god tier.

Yeah same. 2 was so goddam good. I liked 3 as well (I mean I like everything) but I really loved Spike and Drusilla and the Angelus stuff.

I still say "It's a rock. A big rock. Can't wait to tell all my friends, they don't have a rock this big"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Guys am I going to have to do a rewatch of Buffy

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Heh the werewolf note reminded me of the first episode where Oz gets bit. "Oh hey mom, Cousin Geordi isn't a werewolf is he?....Oh, okay thanks"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Spalec posted:

Wait, is there some kinda connection between Ben and Glory? You'd think the show would mention that? :confused:

troll post?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

K I must have not been paying attention heh

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

roomtone posted:

Also that SMG was supposed to appear in the episode where you only see Buffy from a distance.

That would have made that episode worse, it was funnier not having her in it

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Oasx posted:

I liked Fred, but I like Illyria even more.

"Would you like me to lie to you now?" is still one of the most heartbreaking lines I've heard in media.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I mean, if you're bothered about how old Wood was when he was hooking up with Buffy wait til you find out how old Angel was...

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

My only problem with the Buffy movie is that I used to have a MASSIVE crush on Kristy Swanson and she turned kind of crazy over the last 10 years so when I see her I get sad.

I also had it bad for Jenny McCarthy in the 90s so I have a type I guess

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

Onto Season 6, folks. Revisiting ground I haven't covered since I was like...13 watching all this on FX. If nothing else, there will probably be a lot of poo poo I don't remember. So that's something.

I'm already confused
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxWWAg7zTEk

"And Alyson Hannigan as Willow."

As opposed to every other season since the beginning? And she's listed las with no Head/Giles at all. Bizarre. Also Amber Benson/Tara never got a opening credit spot. Bullshit.

That's pretty common in Hollywood contacts. The biggest star of a movie gets the last opening credit in a bigger font with an introduction like "with/s"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

It's fun when they go funky. This is a series regular on Gilmore Girls, but yeah sure every one of his appearances is special why not.

Haha yeah, I love stuff like that. When Clone High introduced every episode as a very special episode I laughed every time

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Filox posted:

Well, Hellmouth. Maybe the trades have had a lot of people eaten.

Imagining Xander getting an award from his boss for becoming the longest tenured employee with the company at 5 months.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DavidCameronsPig posted:

The big one that always makes me do a spit take when American TV uses it is 'wanker'. Partly because it just sounds funny in an American accent, but also while it's not close to 'gently caress' on the pantheon of swears, it's definitely not a daytime TV word you just throw around the way US shows occasionally writes British characters to use it.

Bint tends to be more of a London/South East thing than a country wide word. Apparently it's an Arabic word originally that just meant 'girl', but it got adopted by sailors who used it to mean a 'bit on the side', and then it made the wider vocabulary from there. Now it's just a bit of a derogatory word to use for women, not a major insult but not that pleasant.

It makes perfect sense that Spike uses it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

side_burned posted:

Best vampire ever.

This is still one of my favorite comic coverse ever.

Sentinel Red posted:

He really is, despite or maybe because he's such a piece of poo poo.

Yeah one of the many things I hate about the show adaptation is how they really didn't make him into the giant piece of poo poo he was revealed to be in the comic.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

If anyone wants to "own" either series, Angel and Buffy complete series HDX are on Vudu for $35 each right now ($35 per series, not season)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/BDisgusting/status/1701949723119075438?s=20

Medullah fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 13, 2023

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Alhazred posted:

And that they made Jesse into a dork. In the comics he hates being a preacher and is forced against his will by his family to do it. In the show he voluntarily quits being a bank robber and becomes a preacher.

Let's not forget Tulip, who in the comic grew up with guns but hates using them because her dad shot himself by accident in front of her

Instead, TV Tulip is a crazed assassin who uses a rocket launcher in the first episode.

I know Preacher wasn't high literature but it came out at the right time for me to latch onto it and become a super fan. The show had moments of hilarity and Starr was cast well, but ultimately I was just furious with how it turned out. I think a big chunk of that is because before it started Seth Rogen was telling anyone who listened how "important it is to create an adaptation that is as close to the source material as possible while making necessary changes for the times and the medium".

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Spikes girlfriend actress does a great job being psycho

That's Juliet Landau, daughter of horror movie legend Martin Landau!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I like all of her scenes

S2 updates: RIP technopagan lady ... when Giles hurts we all hurt :(

Also: oh poo poo Spike is off the wheel chair!

Season 2 is home of my favorite line from the series

"It's a rock. A big rock. Can't wait to tell all my friends, they don't have a rock this big"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Oasx posted:

Eliza Dushku is a pretty bad actor.

Young Medullah could not have cared less about her acting ability, he watched her for very different reasons.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, same. The Puppet Show might be one of the best stand alone hours of genre TV ever made. Top ten easily.

Just the "...what?" when she and the puppet both think they're the monster is classic Buffy, just timed perfectly.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Alhazred posted:

Fear Itself is worth it for the ending alone. Actual size.

It's honestly top 5 endings of the show.

Medullah fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Oct 22, 2023

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

Because Buffy is a show about horror movie concepts as filtered through a high school/college girl who absolutely refuses to cooperate with how that genre is supposed to work.

So the Initiative being under the college is because, like every concept on the show, it could've been its own horror movie. What if there was a military installation that kept demons as prisoners? And holy poo poo it's right under our school!

The Initiative, starring Jennifer Love Hewett, Seth Green, Johnny Lee Miller, and Ethan Suplee.

Picturing pre-weight loss Ethan as Adam. "It's a SAIL BOAT you fool!" punches through kids chest

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Head got his start in musicals and was the original Dr Frank N Furter in the west end version of Rocky Horror.

Let's not forget Repo, the Genetic Opera

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Pan Dulce posted:

I love Doyle, but if it's between him or Wesley, I'm going with my side ex-Watcher man!

This is your first time through? It'll be interesting to see if your feelings change as Wesley evolves through the series. I didn't know anyone liked Wesley at all in Buffy/s1 of Angel but I personally think he's the main character of Angel as the series goes on

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I'm watching Leave the World Behind on Netflix and right as I clicked on this thread it centered right on a shot of Buffy season 2 DVD box set. Clearly I'm psychic

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Anyone else say to themselves "Dog spit is cleaner than humans" anytime they hear someone say "What do we know?" or is that just me

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Pan Dulce posted:

Did we already establish exactly how Drusilla was turned? Because if it hadn't been shown, this nun acting supremely annoyed at Angel entering the church would have been a huge tell: nuns talk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0VK-FdpuZY

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I just like that lightning girl was called Raiden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

I forgot until this watch through that she has a sexy lady for a butler and a batcave.

Were that hoping for a spinoff with her? Just seemed like potential backdoor pilot setup