Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
With Angel I feel like people either like Season 1 and 2 then hate 3 and 4, or hate 1 and 2, then like 3 and 4. Season 5 seems more or less universally acknowledged as the best season; as good as or possibly better than Buffy's best. I'm a 1/2/5 guy myself. But yeah overall I'd say it was worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I also liked seeing how Buffy was something of a microcosm of the transition between the 90s and 00s; in the first season someone could be in danger because nobody was answering the phone at home, but by season 7 the gang had their own text message shorthand for "my date turned out to be a demon and is now trying to kill me". Also in season 4 they start going to trendy coffee shops.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

And Buffy and Faith end up cops lmao

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Kate is alive. She was fired from the cops and made amends with Angel when he had his epiphany, then she became a DA in Law & Order.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Yeah, Bruce Timm mentions watching Buffy and Angel on a JLU commentary track so that's entirely possible. There was also an awful episode of Doctor Who (I know the crack you're about to make, please don't) which the showrunner explicitly said was heavily influenced by The Zeppo. Every now and again, I still see internet posts reference the ep when a TV show does a similarly-structured episode--it seems to be a pretty low-key influential episode.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Restless was pretty bad with that. Like when Xander's in the van, at one point you can see the green screen effects crop. Also in near the end of the ep, we see the Cheese Man standing half onscreen waiting for his cue during Buffy's talk with the First Slayer.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

She had a prophetic dream about Dawn in season 3, when Faith tells her in their shared dream "little sister's coming"

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I was convinced it was manipulation too, and I think we were meant to think that, up until we see that he's genuinely distressed when Buffy puts her into a coma. He's also clearly referring to Faith when he talks sadly about loss in the graduation speech, plus Buffy taunts him about Faith ("human weakness never goes away") to lure him into the school. So I can believe he was giving it from about as genuine a place as possible.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

The Boom comic has plenty of ideas and changes I like, and I think (as far as I can tell) they've done away with the whole notion of "soul" the way Buffy used it for vamps. But unfortunately it's so confusingly written that I can't recommend it. It's not even that the plot is convoluted, it's that it fails to properly explain what's happening in a relatively straightforward plot. That twist with the shrimp though... now that was :discourse:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Metaphorically? Yes, definitely

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I liked when they were doing a fakeout for several episodes that Giles had died and been replaced by the First, by having him not touch any objects, only to reveal he was just lazy

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

But... You'd think by the second time she did it five years later, having become one of the most powerful witches (human witches, at any rate) in the world, she maybe might could have omitted that last part and let the poor guy have real, true, perfect happiness again?

Now that you mention it, I don't think she ever said she kept that in? It would be pretty funny if at some point in the future Angel was being sad about that and Willow was like "oh no I forgot to tell you"

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Rochallor posted:

Speaking of comics that are (probably) bad, has anybody read the Boom! comics Buffy reboot? Anytime I've seen the solicits, it looks... interesting, but that doesn't mean it's worth reading, and the art at least leaves a lot to be desired. There's some pretty crazy departures right off the bad, like I think Xander gets turned into a vampire, Robin Wood is a student the same age as the Scoobies, stuff like that.

At the very start, I liked it, because it made some interesting changes. Cordelia isn't a mean girl, but acts more like the kind of girl who would actually be popular in high school--nice to everyone, class president, excels academically (IIRC)... Willow was out from the start. And as far as I could tell, it also didn't have any concept of vampires being soulless and Angel being the only one with a soul; some vampires were just cool, I guess. It's been a while, so I can't remember the other changes, but some of the comics were really weird and couldn't possibly be in the same universe, like one where Angel and Cordelia were actors on a vampire crime show called Cordy? And another one where Willow goes through her Dark Willow arc, except she already did that in the other Boom comic, and in this one Xander was gay when he was straight in the main Boom comics?

Getting back to the main comic, I think it got kind of incomprehensible, and I think a large part of that was because the writers seemed to be in a huge rush to introduce all the characters from every season of both shows, and that was in addition to making new characters as well as making up new weird stories.

That said, there was an incredible twist about the comics later on that completely changed everything you knew about the Boom! comics Buffy world:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

It's very likely that Spike's killed more Nazis than Angel

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I think Angel s1-4 is way more divisive; in general it's always felt to me that people either like s1-2 and hate s3-4, or vice versa, but the same people would also tend to agree s5 is great.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

That's the ep with Buffy in it!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

thebardyspoon posted:

That episode late in season 4 is the only skippable one, where Buffy and Riley are stuck boning in the ghost house. Even then it's been so long that maybe I'd watch it just to see if there's something good I've forgotten about it.

The one where Buffy and Riley are stuck boning has the line where the conservative old lady says "I smell sin on all of you" and Xander says "let me tell you about sin, she who smelt it dealt it" and that made me and my brother laugh so hard back in the day, so don't skip it

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

The Body - Episode is largely spent talking about emotions. Doesn’t have much in the way of vampire slaying, and the one bit of action that happens is just a regular vampire at the end and poses no real challenge. Skip it.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Sid shoulda been a regular; he’d have been great infiltrating Smile Time with Angel

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Falling out? Wasn't it because they ended up on competing networks and they had to jump through hoops to coordinate and get cameos?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I laughed out loud when the old lady said she could smell sin on each and every one of them and then Xander told her that she who smelt it dealt it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Toaster Beef posted:

I think the huge potentially fatal flaw of a Buffy reboot would be that it'd try speaking more to the audience that loved the original show as it was airing — folks who haven't been teens for a long time. That's speculation, obviously, but I don't think it's hard to imagine a show that awkwardly fumbles its way through trying to tell Buffy's story in a way that appeals to a bunch of 40-year-olds.

Incidentally, the comics rebooted Buffy. Whedon isn't involved aside from being credited as the creator; not sure how much money he gets out of it. The reboot puts Buffy in modern day and makes some good changes; Willow being out from the beginning is probably a given, but also they made Cordelia nice and more of the kind of person who might actually be popular with everyone. Unfortunately it kinda went downhill fast as I felt the writer was scrambling to stuff as many Buffy characters in as early as they could. That said, later on it did have one great twist (which as you predicted is really for the fans of the OG) It turned out that the entire comic takes place in a world without shrimp