Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I watched Demi-chan when it came out; some episodes landed for me and some really didn't. But it was always at its best when Hikari was chewing on something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Feels like we're slowly getting from what the game feels like it needs to say, to what it actually wants to say. I hope so, anyway.

Also, Mom's portrait has this slightly trollish smirk to it, like she's hiding out in a nearby tree and totally knows she's interrupting something.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Falconier111 posted:

:eng101: To compress a complicated topic down to a paragraph, British foreign policy since they stopped pretending they still had a chance of taking over France has boiled down to keeping the smelly Europeans occupied in their continent, leaving their blessed isles alone. After they got Napoleon’s exile to finally stick, they gave modern Belgium and Luxembourg to the Netherlands, hoping to make local counterbalance against France and Prussia. The Dutch immediately hosed it up and drove it into open revolt. The British basically stepped in and work out a compromise with everyone involved; the rebelling territories were now their own brand-new kingdom named after the old Roman province in the area because nobody could think of anything better, then publicly promised to go to war with anyone that tried to mess with them. The Netherlands wasn’t happy, but they were told they got to keep Luxembourg and could otherwise get hosed. Belgium industrialized fast, solidified its nascent national identity, and developed a strong enough reputation for neutrality the European powers ended up giving them a huge chunk of Africa to commit crimes against humanity in when they couldn’t agree would get it. By the time the Germans tried to flank France as World War I kicked off by going through Belgium, the UK already favored France (their mutual hatred had devolved into an anime rivalry) over Germany (which might have been strong enough to violate the smelly Europeans clause), but Belgium sealed the deal and let them finally move in.

You asked for commentary and now you’re getting it.
:eng101:

For more on this topic, I recommend Dreadnought by Robert K. Massie, which offers vivid portraits of many of the outsize personalities involved in these decisions, and The Sleepwalkers by Christopher Clark, which makes a deep dive into how pre-WWI European foreign policy worked (it didn't, really.)

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Trying to remember all the pro pumpkin-carving strategies, but I haven't done it in something like two decades. I think one year I hollowed out the pumpkin from the bottom instead of the top, but I'm not sure why.

Falconier111 posted:

MONIKA: Well I was just surprised at how willing you were to break some major rules, Sayori! I always thought of you as the student who wouldn't go looking for trouble.

SAYORI: Well, once or twice won't hurt anyone~ Hah, don't let that innocent exterior fool you, Monika. Sayori can be ever so sly when she wants to be. She's got a hidden dark side, y'know?

SAYORI: Hey! Don't overdo it…

MONIKA: Ahaha, break it up, you two. Well, now that that's been settled, we can sort out some decorations for the room.

Seems to be a missing portrait and/or line break here.

Falconier111 posted:

MOM: Hi, Hisao! mom How have you been doing? mom Are you eating well?

Also here.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

edit: never mind, I'm misremembering something

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Exercise has been doing me good lately... or at least I think it has. Maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Falconier111 posted:

The powerful feeling of relief coursing through my body feels rewarding beyond belief. Just when I was thinking everything was so bleak, and we weren't getting anywhere… Anyway, so he suggested that I tell the others about my depression.

HISAO: Oh, so that's the thing you wanted my input on?

SAYORI: Yeah. But I don't know if I should tell them.

HISAO: Why not? Well, I'm kinda worried that it might change how the club feels? I don't want any special treatment or anything… And there's no telling how they might react. On the other hand, having to act cheery all the time around them is so exhausting.

Couple of missing Sayori portraits here