Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I'm excited for this. I had never heard of this but I'm here for the quality of the LPer.

Did play and enjoy DDLC. I went into that very blind, just told that it was "surprising," I usually hate horror but I felt enough sympathy for the characters that it landed for me more as tragedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

SimplyUnknown1 posted:

Oh, I feel that. I mean, I can appreciate a compliment in and of itself. But when someone looks at my writing and says 'it's good', a part of me wants to shake them and ask 'Why?' Why do you think it's good? What do you like, what do you dislike? I can't improve if I don't get criticism!

Anyways, looking forward to this LP and seeing all the changes from the original Doki Doki Literature Club! I mean, at least this won't turn into another horror game!

I've been doing some editing stuff in my day job and for my second job and the thing is that writers are, on average, faberge eggs. Hell literally just got out of a meeting with one that the point of the meeting was to deliver a criticism but me and my coeditor wrapped it in like 90% compliments.

That said yeah I do get that there are compliments that I do not take well.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

extremely funny that Yuri focuses her critique on the structure of our poem, despite the fact that we have no control or even ability to see the structure of our poem

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Namtab posted:

As per my previous post, my worry is that this becomes shallow "I can fix her" fanfic. Mental illness is hard, often doesn't get parity of esteem with physical health, and I hope this game defies my expectations in how things are resolved.

I'm optimistic. Admittedly Falconier is somewhat blind on this one but so far the art they've recommended has been "better than expected," including random fanfics. Worst case scenario the reviews of related media e.g. Interviews with Monster Girls, is enough to keep me feelin good about my time here.

Yuri's felt pretty obnoxiously preening and twee but that is also a kind of teenager so it's just making me cringe more than anything else.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Namtab posted:

The box is new content. It’s not subtle

Monika is the influencer of the group its true

Ghost Car posted:

The acting in dubs is often not great (although I'd say it's better on average than it used to be), but in this context I feel it's worth noting that they are actually pretty important for accessibility for people with vision impairments, dyslexia, and sometimes ADHD. At the height of my weeb phase in high school, I had a dyslexic friend who had to watch dubs because she couldn't read accurately enough at the speed required to follow subs, and I think that cured me of any tendency to be snotty about the existence of dubs or people who watch them. Of course, having subtitles is also an accessibility thing for people with hearing impairments, auditory processing problems, or... also sometimes ADHD (it's complicated!). In the end the key thing is to have options.

(This isn't meant as a criticism, to be clear, just a sidebar relevant to the theme of the thread.)

I watched Flee last night with some friends and that's a movie that uses like half a dozen languages (mostly Dari and Danish, but a close 3rd for Russian not to mention a considerable amount of English and Spanish). We watched it subbed because that was the preference of everybody involved, but the movie included a method that to me feels insane but to my knowledge is fairly common in Eastern Europe of overdubbing - the scene plays out in Language A while a person dubs in a translation of Language B overlapping with the original audio. Documentaries sometimes do a limited form of it but for me it just sounds like audio hell (to be clear, it was diegetic - the characters were watching Mexican shows with Russian dubbing that were formed like that).

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Namtab posted:

There’s probably a danger in taking either yuri or natsukis side in this particular argument, or accusing one side of ableism. Remember as well that while Natsuki’s presented as a fairly stereotypical tsundere, she is the victim of nonspecified abuse from her father (likely physical, emotional and neglect).

What we’re seeing is imo less about ableism from one side to another, but rather a clash between two people with similar but contrasting valid needs around communication. Both have difficulty directly expressing themselves, yuri due to anxiety, natsuki due to trauma/masking. Natsuki is too used to having to watch out for sudden changes and triggers so she wants communication with her to be straightforward, for people to say what they mean and not present with surprises. This clashes with Yuri who also struggles to express what she wants to say directly, so she plays with language and hides her meaning behind complex language and metaphor.

On working with the disabled, particularly those with ASD or learning (intellectual) disabilities how we say things is as important as what we say. Neither yuri or natsuki are in the right or wrong, rather they need a better understanding of the other’s needs.

Then again, that’s just my reading.

it's a good reading imo

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

So before into praise something that's bugging me - Monika's popularity. Is she...actually popular? The characters say that and Natsuki even says that the literature club is just Monika trying to use the other people as pawns to make herself more popular, but...leading a tiny potemkin club instead of trying to take over a popular club doesn't really make sense for that. For either part. I can buy that she's more popular than the other 4 who seem to have no friends at all outside the club but that's still not much!

Explopyro posted:

The primary reaction this seems to be eliciting from me now is "Oh god, teenagers". Which, I think, is probably a compliment to the writing, they're managing to do a decent job depicting the kind of awkward overdramatic social dynamics that seemed all-important at that age.

Yeah I liked it. This was mortifying and painful to read but without invoking anything that would be an unlikely thing to happen with teenagers. I think "the culture festival was a total disaster" is both an unusual choice and a good one for driving drama! It also kind of highlights some of the cracks in the characters' mental health - Yuri being objectified in an uncomfortable way, Natsuki having anger issues, Monika's insecurity.

I did have a kind of awful feeling of like "don't they have to do more rounds of it? culture festivals are like all-day affairs aren't they?" and man that would have sucked

Yuri being objectified in that way...that shows a kind of insight that I wasn't really expecting from this. That's a very awful thing for a teenage girl to experience, and it's one that a lot of teenage girls experience. I'm now a little primed for Yuri's route to go some places that I don't see most media ever go.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

StandardVC10 posted:

Feels like we're slowly getting from what the game feels like it needs to say, to what it actually wants to say. I hope so, anyway.

I mean that's what I'm seeing. DDLC implies a lot about these characters and how their personalities fit together, and we're starting to see at this point pretty clearly how Sayori fits together. Where I'm expecting this to go is to dig into the practical and emotional depth of that. Speaking of, man Hisao is loving stepping in it here and making it harder for Sayori to be open.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Dirk the Average posted:

As far as Sayori goes, just having her friend invite her out to spend time together, and to care enough to remember and reference a bunch of shared history together, almost certainly made her feel substantially better. It's not a cure, but just being there for someone with depression and showing them that their presence is welcomed is a huge help.

That's all fine. The issue that I'm taking, and I suspect Falconier is as well, is the content of the words he is choosing. The repeated references to how appreciated Sayori's cheerfulness is reinforces the social mask she uses to keep others at bay and reinforces what I read as a pretty clear distorted belief that people want her around as useful tool rather than as a complete person. That she is only desired and tolerated because she is cheerful, and that being sincere about feeling depressed would reduce her value in the eyes of those she's turning to for support.

I personally have quite a few compliments that I no longer accept as straight compliments on similar grounds.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Dirk the Average posted:

Certainly, but my point is that he doesn't know about her depression. He does pick up on the fact that something is wrong, and also that she doesn't want to talk about it.

He tries to help (clumsily and incorrectly) by talking about one of the ways he appreciates her by complimenting her cheerfulness and how she minds how other people feel. It's a thing that he notices she puts effort into and he is trying to credit her for that. He's also trying to probe a bit further into what is bothering her. He only recently reconnected with her, and he doesn't have enough information to know if what is bothering her is a one-off issue or a pattern that's a bigger problem.

I guess my point is that if she didn't have depression and if her behavior weren't a mask that she was wearing, then it wouldn't be a problem. It just so happens that he steps on a lot of social landmines in that conversation.

Falconier111 posted:

It’s less an issue of bad writing (it isn’t) and more that it’s unpleasant to read as he makes some very realistic and very familiar mistakes, I think. Very Greek tragedy on a smaller scale, and while it doesn’t decrease the quality of the work, that can be painful to watch.

Yeah this is where I'm at. I think it's actually pretty good writing! I've been in Sayori's spot several times where people say they like something about me that feels false and it makes it both more depressing and more difficult to talk about. It's a very common, very human mistake that Hisao's making and I am rending my garments over it. Hisao is trying to show specific compliments, usually a good idea, but he's misreading that Sayori is fishing for compliments instead of feeling insecure and he should be assuring her that support is not contingent on performance.

I actually am really liking a lot of the newly written scenes so far, they do a good job of conveying the pain and awkwardness of these very common daily tragedies without becoming mawkish or even melodramatic. It's not groundbreaking or anything but it is deft.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Natsuki is several common Japanese names, as is Yuri (and has unisex versions as well but the oldest Yuri I could find was a 17th century female calligrapher). Sayori is an uncommon name and I only found one actual person with that as her given name (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sayori_Ishizuka). Monika is a viable name - and I was able to find a Japanese person with that name from the 17th Century (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/205_Martyrs_of_Japan)

An obvious tell of course that the game isn't really taking Japan seriously as a setting is that everyone is just going by first name basis from the get-go. The mod adding a culture festival is leaning a bit more into Japanese specific tells than the original but it's still pretty overtly American.

Namtab posted:

Moving on from war in Europe, I wanted to examine this statement a bit more

The problem we’ve got here is a dissonance between what our player character knows (nothing) and what we as the audience are intended to know through having played the original and seeing Sayori’s ultimate fate. As with most mental health disorders depression is a classic example of a hidden disability. While physical symptoms may manifest the symptoms are primarily psychological. The person with depression may try to mask symptoms which is what we’re seeing here. The most overt symptoms that she displays is changes in sleep pattern, a lack of care and attention to physical appearance (the presentation mostly tells instead of shows this) and possibly (given how many times it’s brought up) a change in appetite.

At this point in the narrative Hisao is starting to suspect that there’s somethings she’s hiding and that her selflessness is a bit unhealthy, and she’s starting to show a willingness to drop her guard and talk about it. They’re stuck in a pattern where Hisao is unknowingly making fun of her depression because he doesn’t know about it, and as a layperson doesn’t know what to look for either. He makes fun of traits that to him are her displaying behaviours that would be considered childish, and praises personality traits that are genuinely laudable (kindness, putting others first) in the lack of knowledge that she’s doing this to make up for what she perceives is an inadequacy in herself.

Narrative requires conflict, and this isn’t going to get better in the next few updates. His behaviour is potentially a display of micro aggressions born of ignorance, and the question is whether the inevitable learning/apology is written well.

Yeah I really like it. Hisao is definitely not being malicious but he is definitely hurting his friend, and I think it's very valuable to see how possible, easy even, it is to hurt people close to us. I do not think the goal in writing or in life is to never have any suffering. The question I suppose is how does the game frame and understand that suffering.

We can see in the most recent update that Sayori frames anything going wrong as a result of her being "stupid." Even when its extremely minor! She is inscribing a degrading narrative unto herself without any prompting. For most of us with depression, we learn to just not say those things often around other people, as the usual things that people respond with make it clear that there is sin in getting caught being too honest with others. Presumably that is not where the story goes on the happiest route, but hopefully it is confronted because I can't imagine that Hisao is comfortable with his best friend and romantic interest berating herself pointlessly.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I like that Yuri really sells that she's taking it super seriously, it's cute and funny.

Also pretty good coordination and dishonesty from the whole group, I'd not have been able to deceive my friends like that I last about 30s before cracking.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Having grown up in a family where nearly the total majority of people have depression across the last 3 generations, Hisao comes across as an incredible dumbass here. Just totally unfamiliar with the very cliche "bubbly person is masking." I try not to judge people for being clueless or bumbling but c'mon man.

The proper response is largely the proper response to almost any painful secret a person tells you,"oh wow, that's really rough, thank you for letting me know, I feel honored that you trust me with this, how would you like me to help?"

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Falconier111 posted:

I just got in contact with another LPer, a streamer called hyper_elastagirl. She's going to be starting a stream of Katawa Shoujo from a physically disabled woman's point of view at her channel at about 7 Central today, a little over two hours from now. I'm going to be swinging by and invite anyone interested to do so too.

Sounds rad as hell, thank you!

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Running has helped me a lot with my mental health and amusingly it was Falconier's last thread that was partially responsible for the push.

There are two pretty obvious reasons that it's helped me: 1, it makes the physical sensations associated with anxiety feel way more controllable and normal, 2, if you're exercising hard its very very hard to keep yourself in self-destructive thought spirals.

For myself it was also just kind of necessary to create a project that had progress that was nigh impossible for me to deny. "Feel better" is a project that I can logic myself out of accepting, "run 5k in under 30 minutes" is not.

Anyway that's all to say that I recommend Jock Life but one more person saying "its good" is not really so much to convince any particular person so much as just another element of Depression Chat.

quote:

She's nervously picking at her sleeves, almost pulling them up over her hands.

Hisao come on my man please just let other people finish their thoughts I'm begging you.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I've actually been kind of surprised at how immature hisao is for a 15 year old. I was formally diagnosed with depression at age 10, and nobody reacted like Hisao did after I was like...12. I've gotten some like, "what do you have to be depressed about you're a white guy" but other than that it's been almost universally "that sucks dude" at worst since elementary school, let alone for high schoolers.

Credit where credit's due he's listening to his mom instead of going "what do you understand about love!?"

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

TBH not a bad art asset of two people kissing, I've seen worse from professional products.

Hisao really talks like a romantic sometimes which makes me cringe a little because I'm p sure I've said and thought poo poo like that and oh no.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Natsuki

Exercise

Tulip fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 7, 2022

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The worst I've gotten, which was from a pyschiatrist who actually was fairly helpful because he managed to figure out the medication that was best for my depression (nortriptyline, of all the drat drugs), was extended musings about how men are all suffering depression because they're becoming too feminine and not embracing their hard masculine side enough. Pretty weird!

The idea of having somebody go to therapy with you, outside of the context of couples or family therapy, is very surprising to me. I've done outpatient therapy intermittently since I was 10, and I've never even thought about having a friend or partner or parent come with me except for like, transportation.

Bifauxnen posted:

What the Christ

Ursula K. Le Guin posted:

We live in capitalism. Its power seems inescapable. So did the divine right of kings.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

rannum posted:

where are your parents, sayori

this update even more so than earlier felt like, well, adults, and i'd already been thinking about how often this genre convention* only barely engages with the pretext that the characters are basically kids. I'm personally not bothered super much by this - if you look at discourse around Tokimeki Memorial for example, it's not about being a realistic vision of HS, it's about the adult fantasies of what HS could have been like. Realism is just...not a serious consideration, and tbh I'm most of the time down with that, a lot of "realism" critique is just cinemasins style anti-engagement and it's neither fun nor enlightening.

Anyway I guess it's just kind of interesting since I felt like Hisao in particular was being quite childish earlier, acting like a toddler about somebody else's feelings, but here the two are able to share a bed without losing their minds in anxiety and hormones. I don't know that I consider it a problem. And as much as there are reasons to not do individual therapy with your partner, well, Sayori seems to have actively wanted that so seems kosher to me.

And just totally out of nowhere does anybody else feel like Sayori's white-blue pastel shirt with pastel pink coat reminds them of the trans flag?

*i read a lot of trashy slice of life romance manga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I find it kind of interesting that Sayori talks about depression as a separate, dissociated element of her self. I've tended to view my depression as pretty fully integrated into my self, and talking about my depression "doing" something "to" me is about as intuitive as talking about my sense of vision as an outside force. It's just a way to describe a part of my core personality.