Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Car
Sep 14, 2009

Falconier111 posted:

Now, normally I’m a strong sub/dub egalitarian who says both have their place, but I freely acknowledge most dubs aren’t worth the time.

The acting in dubs is often not great (although I'd say it's better on average than it used to be), but in this context I feel it's worth noting that they are actually pretty important for accessibility for people with vision impairments, dyslexia, and sometimes ADHD. At the height of my weeb phase in high school, I had a dyslexic friend who had to watch dubs because she couldn't read accurately enough at the speed required to follow subs, and I think that cured me of any tendency to be snotty about the existence of dubs or people who watch them. Of course, having subtitles is also an accessibility thing for people who are hard of hearing or have auditory processing problems or... also sometimes ADHD (it's complicated!). In the end the key thing is to have options.

(This isn't meant as a criticism, to be clear, just a sidebar relevant to the theme of the thread.)

Ghost Car fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Car
Sep 14, 2009

Tulip posted:

I watched Flee last night with some friends and that's a movie that uses like half a dozen languages (mostly Dari and Danish, but a close 3rd for Russian not to mention a considerable amount of English and Spanish). We watched it subbed because that was the preference of everybody involved, but the movie included a method that to me feels insane but to my knowledge is fairly common in Eastern Europe of overdubbing - the scene plays out in Language A while a person dubs in a translation of Language B overlapping with the original audio. Documentaries sometimes do a limited form of it but for me it just sounds like audio hell (to be clear, it was diegetic - the characters were watching Mexican shows with Russian dubbing that were formed like that).

Wow, I knew that countries varied on defaulting to subtitles vs. dubbing, but I wasn't aware of overdubbing! That honestly sounds like a nightmare for my particular combination of auditory processing and sensory issues, but for most people it probably comes down mostly to what you're used to, or so I've gleaned from seeing discussions between people from countries with different norms.

... But this is probably a bit of a derail, oops.

Ghost Car
Sep 14, 2009
You're still welcome to include my posts - thanks for asking!

Ghost Car
Sep 14, 2009
Yeahhh, I feel like getting a bunch of teenagers struggling with mental health issues to put on a big public poetry performance and share their personal and emotionally vulnerable work with an audience (other teenagers) that tends to consider poetry stupid and mock-worthy was never going to end well. Though I wouldn't fault Monika here, necessarily; Natsuki may have some evidence for her accusations that we don't, but the festival thing read more over-enthusiastic and over-optimistic than self-aggrandizing to me.

I have to admit that getting through the earlier updates was kind of a slog for me, but I feel like the writing is starting to hit its stride - hopefully that keeps up. This is about the point where it completely diverges from the original, right?

Ghost Car
Sep 14, 2009

rannum posted:

The original never got to the festival at all, even in the other loops. Things went "off the rails" and just found new rails to go off of. Everything after arriving at school after the hang out with Sayori is effectively all new.

Sorry, that was unclear wording on my part - I meant "at this point it has diverged" as opposed to "it's about to diverge." Basically, I think the writing picked up once the mod struck out into its own territory instead of having to follow the tracks of the original.

Ghost Car
Sep 14, 2009

ZevGun posted:

The way I act when I'm acting more depressed than usual (I've never had a formal diagnosis or anything so this could just be going through lulls of mood more than anything else) makes it almost feel like the part of my brain that determines priorities is broken.

It feels that way because it is, more or less (for many people with depression, at least). Prioritizing, decision-making, and initiating tasks/activities are aspects of executive functioning, which is essentially the set of cognitive processes that lets you plan to do a thing and then do it, while inhibiting impulses to do things you shouldn't do. Executive functioning can be impaired by physical damage to the frontal lobes of the brain, but also by not having enough of the neurotransmitters that facilitate it, which (as far as we know) include serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine/noradrenaline. And serotonin imbalances are of course majorly implicated in depression, so while someone is having a depressive episode, that part of their brain is, if not broken, at least out of gas. (Executive dysfunction is also behind many symptoms of ADHD, which involves imbalances in at least two of those neurotransmitters and possibly all three, but that's less relevant to the game.)

And then of course other aspects of depression also feed into it - like, your brain on a basic level is having trouble with the motivation to do things, but it's that much harder if you feel like there's no point anyway because everything will be terrible no matter what, or it's harder to make choices if your feelings towards every possible option can be best described as overwhelming apathy. (And prioritizing your friends' needs and happiness over your own, like Sayori does, is mostly not actually a priorities issue but a low self-esteem/"depression brain says you don't deserve nice things" issue.)

Ghost Car
Sep 14, 2009
The beginning of the updated was pretty :smith:, but I gotta say, that conversation between Hisao and his mother is one of the most emotionally mature things I've ever seen out of a dating sim protagonist. Good job, dude.

Also, I haven't been getting the impression that this game is putting that much effort into its Japanese setting (which is fine! I don't think original DDLC did either), so I'm surprised to see that the depiction of Halloween is pretty on-point so far - no celebrations for adults or trick-or-treating, but yes to stores having decorations and selling Halloween merchandise, celebrations (often school-based) for kids and teens, and pumpkin-carving. (The pumpkin-carving was for some reason the thing that really surprised me on my first Halloween in Japan.)

Ghost Car
Sep 14, 2009
Are the costumes references to characters from other games or anime? The designs seem so, I dunno, specific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Car
Sep 14, 2009
Not to minimize the experiences of people who have had bad psychiatrists, because that is absolutely worse, but even if your psychiatrist is good, the medication roulette can still be awful if you're one of those unlucky people who don't do well with most of the common treatments for depression. Particularly if you straight-up can't do SSRIs as a class, because IME they really want to run you through at least three of those, maybe more, before they start trying anything else. Which is frustrating, but also does kind of make sense, because once you're out of the SSRI/SNRI pool, you rapidly get into the things with really intimidating side effect profiles. In any case, medication roulette is really stressful, and depression makes it very easy to go "well, I guess nothing is going to work" or feel like it's somehow a personal failing that you haven't found something that works yet (because you shouldn't need medication at all, actually; because that one drug was kinda working and you should have been willing to tolerate the hideous side effects; or just totally irrationally because depression brain is like that).

Anyway, I hope Sayori's second attempt goes better!