Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Im hoping this turns out to be more than doki doki literature club "i can fix her" edition.

E: the game is being a bit more obvious from the start about sayori's mental health needs though

Namtab fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

natsuki owns, op

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Seems less depression naps and more sleeping too much but yeah. Also implies in the text that she’s been experiencing depression for quite a while if her increasing lateness is because of this.

Also, hints of low self esteem too.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The Sayori CG is from the base game, so blame that on them.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

its fair to not want to see sayori hang herself, I'm sure there's enough people itt who can point out when something is from the base game.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I do agree with the comments that the dialogue is overwritten thus far though. The point of the original was that these four girls are recognisable visual novel cliches due to deep rooted issues that Monika exploits so they become more obvious and pronounced:
- Sayori is the friendly and energetic childhood friend stereotype, because she's deeply depressed and thinks her only worth is to make others happy.
- Natsuki is the tsundere archetype, because she's being abused by her dad
- yuri is the mysterious girl archetype, because she has obsessive tendancies and social anxiety
- Monika is the guide/tutorial/club leader archetype, because she's controlling and manipulative

This game doesn't have the conceit of Monika meddling, and obviously can't straight up copy the dialogue from the original, so instead its rewriting the original but making sayori and Yuri's issues more obvious (although natsuki seems fairly unchanged thus far). As per my previous post, my worry is that this becomes shallow "I can fix her" fanfic. Mental illness is hard, often doesn't get parity of esteem with physical health, and I hope this game defies my expectations in how things are resolved.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I’m extremely not mad that software engineers make twice as much as me

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The box is new content. It’s not subtle

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

There’s probably a danger in taking either yuri or natsukis side in this particular argument, or accusing one side of ableism. Remember as well that while Natsuki’s presented as a fairly stereotypical tsundere, she is the victim of nonspecified abuse from her father (likely physical, emotional and neglect).

What we’re seeing is imo less about ableism from one side to another, but rather a clash between two people with similar but contrasting valid needs around communication. Both have difficulty directly expressing themselves, yuri due to anxiety, natsuki due to trauma/masking. Natsuki is too used to having to watch out for sudden changes and triggers so she wants communication with her to be straightforward, for people to say what they mean and not present with surprises. This clashes with Yuri who also struggles to express what she wants to say directly, so she plays with language and hides her meaning behind complex language and metaphor.

On working with the disabled, particularly those with ASD or learning (intellectual) disabilities how we say things is as important as what we say. Neither yuri or natsuki are in the right or wrong, rather they need a better understanding of the other’s needs.

Then again, that’s just my reading.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

You can change your post if you want.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Namtab is already a pseudonym so you can use my posts in this and any other threads we may post together in in future for whatever

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

For discord you’re probably best off just taking screenshots

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Monika’s archetype suggests that she would be popular in general, which is backed by it being part of the text. By nature of this being a mod Monika is the most changed of the characters by necessity so it’s hard to be definitive about her deal, but my best guess is that she retains a need for control and to present herself in a certain way.

It’s a potential explanation of why she pushes her ideas onto the others and why she prefers running a club for something she enjoys rather than being a smaller part of a bigger club. It’s also a reason why she reacts so negatively to the event going wrong and then to natsukis criticism.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Falconier111 posted:

So, a thing occurred to me. Normally, I leave the commentary to the route conclusions, disability corners, and occasional supplementary posts; I like presenting a clean experience. It's been brought to my attention that at least a few readers disagree and actually LIKE in-update commentary. I genuinely don't know what the thread as a whole would prefer, though. So, apropos of nothing, :siren: poll time! :siren:

Please vote yes or no on extended in-update commentary!
  • Yes doesn't mean I'll fill every update with :eng101:s, but it does mean I'll say something any time I have the opportunity to bring up interesting points.
  • No doesn't mean I'll stop commenting completely, but it does mean I'll limit things to discussing mechanics and major points, like I did after Yuri and Natsuki's argument earlier.
Bold your votes so I can see them. :siren: Vote closes in ~48 hours! :siren:

The point of an LP is to comment on a game, so I'm voting yes

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

WW1 foreign policy was that europe as a whole was a clusterfuck of rising tensions and mutual alliances such that one incident. You had two major alliances in Europe - The triple alliance of Germany, Austria-Hungary and Italy created in 1879/82 and the entente cordiale of Britain, France and Russia of 1904/07 was kinda the major players, but as mentioned there was a bunch of mini-treaties going on as well, particularly relevant being the British treaty guaranteeing Belgiums safety from back in 1832.

The assassination of Franz Ferdinand by the Serbians was the trigger for it all, Austria-Hungary demanded that Serbia surrender the black hand leadership, Germany pledged support to AH and Russia declared support for Serbia. 1 month after the assassination, AH declared war on Serbia, which led to Germany declaring war on Russia and France (the war on France being that they knew France wouldn’t stand back). They went for France via Belgium to avoid a heavily fortified border, and the rest is the bloodiest conflict on European soil ever.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Moving on from war in Europe, I wanted to examine this statement a bit more

quote:

Dammit. As we’ve discussed, our protagonist has a nasty habit of seizing on symptoms to make fun of and praising personality traits that cover-up deeper issues. If you’re familiar with the term microaggressions, well, we get those too, often is not around competence (Protip: don’t swoop in to help a disabled person unless you think they’re actually struggling with something, and if you do, ask first and listen to the answer). But this kind of poking fun at how serious issues manifest can be extremely damaging, especially because it’s usually unintentional. What we’re seeing here isn’t all that egregious, but when it gets bad it can break people. I do hope the game eventually sets time aside to examine this behavior.

The problem we’ve got here is a dissonance between what our player character knows (nothing) and what we as the audience are intended to know through having played the original and seeing Sayori’s ultimate fate. As with most mental health disorders depression is a classic example of a hidden disability. While physical symptoms may manifest the symptoms are primarily psychological. The person with depression may try to mask symptoms which is what we’re seeing here. The most overt symptoms that she displays is changes in sleep pattern, a lack of care and attention to physical appearance (the presentation mostly tells instead of shows this) and possibly (given how many times it’s brought up) a change in appetite.

At this point in the narrative Hisao is starting to suspect that there’s somethings she’s hiding and that her selflessness is a bit unhealthy, and she’s starting to show a willingness to drop her guard and talk about it. They’re stuck in a pattern where Hisao is unknowingly making fun of her depression because he doesn’t know about it, and as a layperson doesn’t know what to look for either. He makes fun of traits that to him are her displaying behaviours that would be considered childish, and praises personality traits that are genuinely laudable (kindness, putting others first) in the lack of knowledge that she’s doing this to make up for what she perceives is an inadequacy in herself.

Narrative requires conflict, and this isn’t going to get better in the next few updates. His behaviour is potentially a display of micro aggressions born of ignorance, and the question is whether the inevitable learning/apology is written well.

Also now that you’re locked into a character’s route you’re best off prioritising them where possible, I don’t know if there’s multiple endings to each route but my interest is whether the best ending is well written.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I don’t really think that the original DDLC was set in Japan for any reason other than it being the genre convention.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Not sure why there needs to be an act 3 to this story. Unless the game's going to try and have them treat her depression im not sure what's left to do.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Theyre really pushing the yuri romance

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I do wonder how important picking yuri was earlier in the game

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I guess the important thing to note is that for a lot of people therapy and medication works for mental health issues, but unlike physical health we don’t have machines to diagnose. As such there is an element of educated guesswork based on what the patient says and how they say it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Also im voting Natsuki and socially prescribing* exercise.

*I am not a social prescriber