Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZevGun
Sep 6, 2011

Tulip posted:

I'm excited for this. I had never heard of this but I'm here for the quality of the LPer.

Did play and enjoy DDLC. I went into that very blind, just told that it was "surprising," I usually hate horror but I felt enough sympathy for the characters that it landed for me more as tragedy.

I just played DDLC (knowing nothing except there was some kind of twist) because Falconer said they were going to LP this game soon.
I really did enjoy the characters, so I'm excited to see them get fleshed out and whatever else this game is going to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZevGun
Sep 6, 2011
Sayori, let's see what our childhood friend thinks of literature.

ZevGun
Sep 6, 2011
The picture of the cupcake is a new addition (and how it was done certainly feels like something out of KS). The original game didn't have drawings for any of the items talked about, so it's a nice little touch here.

I also like Play With Us as a spin on the original's Play With Me. The later was definitely Monika talking to the player, but this one feels like it'd be at home at some sort of poetry reading event.

ZevGun
Sep 6, 2011

Ghost Car posted:

The acting in dubs is often not great (although I'd say it's better on average than it used to be), but in this context I feel it's worth noting that they are actually pretty important for accessibility for people with vision impairments, dyslexia, and sometimes ADHD. At the height of my weeb phase in high school, I had a dyslexic friend who had to watch dubs because she couldn't read accurately enough at the speed required to follow subs, and I think that cured me of any tendency to be snotty about the existence of dubs or people who watch them. Of course, having subtitles is also an accessibility thing for people with hearing impairments, auditory processing problems, or... also sometimes ADHD (it's complicated!). In the end the key thing is to have options.

(This isn't meant as a criticism, to be clear, just a sidebar relevant to the theme of the thread.)

Dubs really are nice sometimes to just be able to sit back and watch some anime. When I watch subbed anime on my own I might pause and rewind if I didn't read everything or just wanted to make sure I parsed a line correctly on the first read. I don't think I'm a particularly terrible reader or anything, but sometimes the subtitles leave the screen a bit fast or there's multiple speakers translated at the same time (or even one speaker with written text in the scene translated). I know most of the time with concurrent dialogue that the most important line/speaker's translation generally stays on screen the longest, but the time was taken to translate the other lines so I want to read them as well. Plus if I actually knew Japanese I could hear everything going on all at once so skipping stuff makes me feel like I'm not taking in the scene as intended.
It also sucks I feel like I should keep my eyes focused near the bottom of the screen to make sure I don't miss anything which can lead to not catching all the visuals.

Not every anime is like that for me, but there are definitely some shows where a 24 minute watch (with opening/ending included) might take me 30 or 35 minutes to get through.

When I'm watching stuff with friends I don't get the luxury of pausing and there have definitely been times where I missed some stuff and had to infer what was going on through the rest of the lines/what's on the screen/general assumptions about the show.
The most extreme example of this is Tatami Galaxy. I don't know if this link to the episode 1 of the official sub will work everywhere but here's a small example of the main character narrating https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq7O6eR12oM&t=339s. The dude just goes a mile a minute while the art in the show has a slick style I want to fully appreciate. I'm pretty sure I missed or misread a handful of lines in every episode.

I know not every dub will be the highest quality, but I can certainly understand wanting to hear a show in your native language if it makes watching easier and more fluid.

ZevGun
Sep 6, 2011

Falconier111 posted:

HISAO: "Alright, alright. I'll talk to her about it sometime. But in the meantime… You wanna mc "I think it's about time we let your poem shine."

I think something also happened to this bit here

Also about spacing, if you want to try and preserve poems as presented you could use whitespace characters (though it'd be a copy paste job that's kind of a pain for how much Monika does different levels of indenting). "em space" is the widest and works as far as I can tell.

em space posted:

In vast, hollow emptiness
 large, but small.
  Grandiose and Overwhelming
 yet a dust mote.
Previewing this post shows SA turns them into their unicode string values such as &# 8195; (but no space between the &# and the numbers). So you could just use the unicode string for pasting and it should work. Though I am not sure how this kind of thing would be parsed with screen readers so maybe it might be best left unspaced.

ZevGun
Sep 6, 2011

Falconier111 posted:

SAYORI: I’ll trust your judgement~ I like this one a lot! “There’s no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.” It actually reminds me of a thought I had about poetry.

HISAO: Oh?

SAYORI: Yeah! To me, a poem is never actually finished, it just stops moving.

That’s kinda...profound. Something I’d expect from Yuri.

HISAO: So uh...what does it actually mean?

SAYORI: Ehehe, can’t you see? It means that just because the poet has stopped writing, it doesn’t mean the poem is over!

This bit here is a nod to the original right as it starts to go off the rails. Sayori's line about a poem just stops moving is taken from the last poem she writes (well, at least the last one of hers the player reads). Kind of a dark reference to make honestly.

At least the short discussion about it after makes it feel way less ominous.

ZevGun
Sep 6, 2011

Falconier111 posted:

Especially Sayori. For a condition that hits hundreds of millions of people around the world, people have a very limited view of depression; it gets treated like “I am frequently sad disorder”, something that can be cured by showing love and discussing how much there is to live for. Leaving aside the ableism and the second part, it’s worth noting that despite the name depression doesn’t actually always make you sad. I’ve always thought of it like a pain disorder as much as a mood disorder – as different as they are on a biological level, their effects overlap so much doctors can treat them similarly. Think about it like this: how does being in pain affect your behavior? Sometimes, it can make you irritable; it’s a constant distraction that worsens your mood, making you prone to arguing, lashing out, taking risks, and (in rare cases) even getting violent. Sometimes, especially when there’s no end in sight, it makes you feel despair; you end up worn down, loathing your experiences and wishing something would save you from them. And sometimes, it makes you tired; even if it doesn’t hit your mood, you are constantly spending energy to keep it in check, and that leaves you unwilling to do anything that sounds taxing and sleeping too much (depression naps are very much a thing. Irritability, sadness, and exhaustion (along with various unidentifiable pains and loss of appetite) are the most common symptoms out there, showing up in any combination in ways you wouldn’t recognize his depression unless you knew what to look for.

The way I act when I'm acting more depressed than usual (I've never had a formal diagnosis or anything so this could just be going through lulls of mood more than anything else) makes it almost feel like the part of my brain that determines priorities is broken. Here are some examples of issues I've run into and my response to them:
My sink is half full of dishes so I can't do much in the way of real cooking but I can just get takeout/fast food instead. Oh I haven't shaved in a while, that's okay I'm not going anywhere where I care about who sees me. This game I like playing doesn't feel fun to play right now so instead I'll just watch videos on YouTube (instead of doing anything else that might be fun, or even thinking about why I wasn't having fun). I have work I need to do but I can't bring myself to do it so I'm gonna go lay down for an hour (that depression nap link was an interesting read). I haven't been feeling well mentally so I'm going to check in with my friends and see how they're doing (I realize this one sounds stupid but I've done it so many times).

That last one in particular jumped out to me as the giant glowing sign for Sayori during my play through of the original game. Her Bottles poem showed that she cares more that the people around her are happy than how she's doing herself. I know the original game wasn't trying to be subtle or anything, but that poem was the big red flag that the rest of the signs come together for me.
Her unease of wanting to talk about the Fairy Tale poem (which is new for this game unless there's a big easter egg I missed in the original) and instead focusing on MC's poetry is a very clear deflection, but how she did it is similar line of thought. "Lets not talk about me, lets talk about you." Maybe this is too much of a stretch, but I can see the logic in her choosing to flip the question around rather than derailing the conversation with some other subject or shutting down the line of discussion altogether.

As an aside, one part I've never figured out about my mental funks (I'll just call it that to be safe) is what's the cause of when I "snap out of it" and start doing things I should be again again.
Do I feel better because I washed the dishes and shaved? Or was I able to make myself do those things because I started feeling better.

For the rest of the update, I am really sad Monika's route wasn't able to be finished. I've played 1 route of this mod so far and the details they set up for her made it seem like it was going to be an interesting one. I checked out a few of the extras included and I was digging the interactions between MC and Monika as well (though as mentioned they do feel a little rough drafty).

Also if anyone hasn't checked out Komi yet they really should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZevGun
Sep 6, 2011
I like the corners/end of story path breakdowns, but yes I prefer some commentary mid update. Even if it's something as little as "what Hisao is saying here is good/bad", or just "hey pay attention to these lines" to point out stuff and make me think about it before you write up any longer effort posts.