Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Falconier111 posted:

dear god, i uploaded the wrong update :negative:

i forgot we hadn't seen all the poems so i read that entire update without thinking anything was off

I guess that doesn't speak too kindly to the game in retrospect, but it was fun in a different way :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I think even in that situation it's obvious Natsuki's projecting a lot, but it did seem like Monica was kind of overly pushing for something the members weren't really ready for. Monica's big compromise was "we can do something else..if someone else has an idea" but no one had any idea so by default she won out anyway despite their anxieties. iirc she didn't offer any secondary ideas herself.

Though at the same time I wouldn't frame it the way Natsuki does; in-universe we really don't have THAT much to go off of, we've not even been in the club for a week, and the only other thing I remember Monica pushing was speaking the poems to each other. But that was mostly the conceit of doing it with the festival in mind, and having a group activity isnt a bad idea for a club regardless. Most of her behavior is just putting on a strong, energetic face and font of knowledge as the leader; obviously it has issues but in itself kinda hard to immediately leap to "is almost maliciously leaving aside the others for herself" without more context.

Honestly in a real version of that situation I probably would be more noncomittal, which wouldn't help anything :v: or be more like yuri and just wanting to fold in on myself, iguess.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Ghost Car posted:

Yeahhh, I feel like getting a bunch of teenagers struggling with mental health issues to put on a big public poetry performance and share their personal and emotionally vulnerable work with an audience (other teenagers) that tends to consider poetry stupid and mock-worthy was never going to end well. Though I wouldn't fault Monika here, necessarily; Natsuki may have some evidence for her accusations that we don't, but the festival thing read more over-enthusiastic and over-optimistic than self-aggrandizing to me.

I have to admit that getting through the earlier updates was kind of a slog for me, but I feel like the writing is starting to hit its stride - hopefully that keeps up. This is about the point where it completely diverges from the original, right?

The original never got to the festival at all, even in the other loops. Things went "off the rails" and just found new rails to go off of. Everything after arriving at school after the hang out with Sayori is effectively all new.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I like Natsuki the most too, here & in the original game. There's just a certain rhythm to her writing that works for me, she's definitely a character where it'd be easy to just be so.....obnoxious to read...that it misses. I really liked her yelling match with Monica, for example. Excited to see what the mod does with her on her route.

Though part of that might be because in the original game she also felt like the one you spend the least time with. Sayori is the firm focus of the first act because she's part of the big fake out, Yuri takes center stage after that as her issues are taken to extremes and obviously Monica was....Monica. Meanwhile Natsuki was stuck in the middle and the closest thing to a "normal" character and I felt bad for her when she was aware enough that something was wrong but couldn't do anything about it. It complimented her pretty well.

Also, the mod making the MC more of a character is interesting too. There's definitely points where he just steps in it which can be pretty oof agh rhg and its hard to give a vibe on how much of that is him as a character or the writing in general; sometimes he just seems a little too geared towards one way for the sake of the scene than in others if that makes sense? Hard to describe
But I do like a lot of his dialog and I was immediately interested in how they've been laying out what's going on in his life. Im prety sure everything outside of the Sayori hangouts is original to this game, at least, and his relationship with his family caught my eye. They could have kept him mostly a cipher and I'd never blink about it, but I'm curious where his story goes too.

Curious where the "outer" story, the presumably shared experiences like the festival, goes too just because of Sayori. Like, obviously none of these routes are gonna "cure" the girls and the outer story will probably lead them to a place better than at the start to make sure everyone has a happier end if you dont go their route, but I feel like locking out Sayori's everything in the same way we accidentally did Yuri has a totally different feel just because the MC already knows her and has actively noticed things about her and also she's the one that got him into the club etc etc etc

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Definitely yes

It'll also help break up the chunks of a scene if they start going long

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

If nothing else I really liked the little hang out scene with Yuri at lunch. It was cute. Even if it somehow locked us out of the Golden Sayori Route I think it was a pleasant time with friends.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I can see the "this is a bit tonanlly dissonant" theory, it really does give a bit of whiplash going from the fairly serious sayori sequence directly to Spooky Goofs

quote:

I swear I heard a rumor that a couple of years ago, a student committed suicide in this very school. Did she hang herself? I shiver as I simultaneously try to block out the memory and remember more of it. No, that wasn't it. She just disappeared one day. No trace of her. Almost like her very being was just...deleted. Gone, like that.
Also very cute game I see what you did there.

If you're on the Yuri or route I wonder if it references her instead.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I've never heard of a door lock like that. Unless it's like an office or hotel with automatic locks, all locks I deal with are manual to lock/open.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

For what it's worth I've absolutely seen LPs edited after they go live. I've read a few LPs missing updates, and in one instance I even brought it up and a few weeks later the update was put back in; i think it also wound up fixing a few wayward broken links. I think combined with asking nicely, if the thing that needed to be edited in was major enough, it would probably be okayed to edit it back in.

I can still see the hesitancy you'd have with doing it with all those personal posts and just letting it lie, but something to keep in mind if something similar happens in the future.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

The link to the monica song is the wrong link.

That was a nice aftermath to the last update, I think. Though the mom conversation, while sweet, felt a little silly in how detailed she was even if she did date a depressed guy at one point...but I suppose infodumping about stuff like this is always going to be a little awkward.

Also I know I shouldn't be thinking too hard about it but where are Sayori's parents anyway. Hisao's were neatly written out but it kind of sounds like Sayori also lives alone at this point.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I've not seen this specific scenario, but I've definitely seen teens have similar dramatic reactions to each other over lower stakes drama. Hell even as an adult there's definitely times where I just gotta walk away or I'm going to say something very stupid because I'm getting heated over absolutely nothing.

It's probably being amped up because it's a video game and we need more direct conflict (especially in a visual novel), but it didn't read as "unrealistic" necessarily.

Hisao's writing can get kind of clunky at times but generally his reactions haven't seemed too out of place to me.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

We sure have gotten a lot of Yuri scenes in Act 2. Bit surprised, since we locked her out so hard in Act 1. Wonder if that's tied to the route we're on or if it was just because we hung out with Yuri at lunch towards the start; maybe if we'd passed on her we would have found Natsuki or something.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

In this I think the intent is Sayori had enough of a read on Hisao to know he'd be down for it.

In contrast I think that if, say, Hisao had done this for Yuri it'd probably be more of a no-go. And probably would've gotten pushback from the other members of the club and offering to do something more private.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Namtab posted:

Not sure why there needs to be an act 3 to this story. Unless the game's going to try and have them treat her depression im not sure what's left to do.

I think there's probably some merit to showing how they're dealing with stuff after going out for a while, as opposed to just starting out. Promises have been made, can they continue the follow through or deal with another low point, stuff like that.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Getting the feeling I know what a big act 3 drama point will be at this point :v:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Natsuki because we haven't seen a lot of her

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

where are your parents, sayori

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I don't think the parents thing would bug me as much if they didn't go out of their way to have Hisao's parents as divorced/inthe process of divorcing and thus the house is empty as a plot point (+he calls his mom a fair bit)

I'm not really docking the game for it or anything, the character beats come first so its more just a sily detail you're not meant to think about, but it's enough of a thing where I can't help but think about it :negative:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Yeah this kind of update is what I was expecting out of act 3: the ups & down of the relationship with depression and putting money where your mouth is about it.

Glad the Yuri jealousy thing, if it has to be a thing, is still being acknowledged by both Sayori and finally Hisao, after his goofy display last time.

I think your text dump was missing more spots than normal here

quote:

SAYORI: I don't know why I'm like this, Hisao. Why is it that something as stupid as a little nightmare makes me feel this bad? I was hoping that finally, there was a light at the end of the tunnel. But that was just naive of me, wasn't it? ... It's okay, you don't have to say anything, Hisao. I know you might feel like you have to say some magical words to make me feel better, but all you have to do is listen. ... What really hurt me was that voice telling me that you'd be much better off with Yuri as your girlfriend. I'm trying really hard to believe that I'm a good girlfriend, and that I'm worth your time, but… Those doubts are always there, in the back of my mind. I know you'd never break my trust, but I just wish I could convince my stupid brain to see it the same way… And it's so unfair, because I can see how hard you're trying. Please believe me when I say I really appreciate you, Hisao. But I'm just so scared that it might all be for nothing. What do you mean? Well...what if I never get better? What if I'm always going to be like this? My pieces are all broken. You're trying so hard to put them back together, but what if you can't? What if you can't put them back together because some of them are gone?
I think the bolded here is meant to be Hisao and break up the chunk?

quote:

HISAO: Depression isn't just a 'stupid thing', though? It's a- I know it's much more than that, Hisao. I just can't help how angry it makes me. I just want to be normal, like everyone else…
Think this part is Sayori cutting in

quote:

SAYORI: Hmm? Oh...well, back in November, after our fight, I uh... Well, I was a bit lost. I didn't know who to turn to, so I asked Mom for advice.
After my "where are you parents" posts I had to reread this one to make sure it was HIsao's line getting merged :v:

quote:

HISAO: Hey guys. Natsuki gives me a curt nod while Sayori gives me a wan smile. The door opens once more and Yuri walks in. Sayori's already weak smile wavers even further. She doesn't dislike her by any means, but it's clear that the jealousy is still an issue. I sigh inwardly. I have no clue on how to solve that issue, given I don't think Sayori is willing to disclose her depression with Yuri.
I think this just needs a line break between his dialog and the narration

quote:

NATSUKI: Yeah, that's not like you at all. Even Monika glances over at Sayori's direction. S

Oh, I'm fine. Just kinda tired, that's all~ Don't worry about me.

Sayroi missing her portrait here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I can't help but chuckle at the sex scene still playing out in full just, on a black screen.