Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Walsh and Witt on my bench yesterday (also missed Walsh’s cycle) and Austin Hays today. I’m having fun. This is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Fast Luck posted:

Rolling with some young speedy guys, Michael Harris at CF and Ezequiel Duran in the middle infield. Both hitting well for the time being, both were top 100 prospects coming into the year

Also picked up Estuary Ruiz as a hold... SD Padres are competitive so they've gotta bring him up if he keeps up what he's doing for much longer. 481 obp 12 homers and a ridiculous 41 steals over 55 milb games so far this year.

Ruiz is getting noticed more and more, especially now that some of the other top prospects are already in the bigs. The numbers he's putting up in Triple A are ridiculous! I now have him stashed too.

From CBS Sports:

I've been reluctant to call Ruiz a stash of any sort seeing as he was hardly a prospect coming into the year, with Baseball America excluding him from the Padres' top 30. The numbers are becoming impossible to ignore, though. Project them over 150 games, and they come out to 32 home runs and 118 stolen bases. You read that correctly. They've only gotten better since he moved up to Triple-A, where he's batting .388 (19 for 49) with four homers and 11 steals in 12 games.

The 23-year-old got some prospect love in his younger days as a toolsy talent with a wide range of possible outcomes, but that ship had seemingly already sailed. He's become much more disciplined this year, though, no longer chasing the sort of pitches designed to yield weak contact, and with that, those tools are playing up in a massive way. With Trent Grisham looking like a lost cause at the major-league level and the Padres trying to chase down the Dodgers, a swap could happen sooner than later.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/b...-of-promotions/

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

:rip: Bryce Harper

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
loving Berrios with the Sunday ERA and WHIP destroying outing.

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

coronaball posted:

loving Berrios with the Sunday ERA and WHIP destroying outing.

Yeah he's benched for me. He doubled my ERA all by himself.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Having Harper, O'Neill, Seiya, Ty France and Mitch Haniger all injured kinda sucks for my team!!!

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

CocoaNuts posted:

Ruiz is getting noticed more and more, especially now that some of the other top prospects are already in the bigs. The numbers he's putting up in Triple A are ridiculous! I now have him stashed too.

From CBS Sports:

I've been reluctant to call Ruiz a stash of any sort seeing as he was hardly a prospect coming into the year, with Baseball America excluding him from the Padres' top 30. The numbers are becoming impossible to ignore, though. Project them over 150 games, and they come out to 32 home runs and 118 stolen bases. You read that correctly. They've only gotten better since he moved up to Triple-A, where he's batting .388 (19 for 49) with four homers and 11 steals in 12 games.

The 23-year-old got some prospect love in his younger days as a toolsy talent with a wide range of possible outcomes, but that ship had seemingly already sailed. He's become much more disciplined this year, though, no longer chasing the sort of pitches designed to yield weak contact, and with that, those tools are playing up in a massive way. With Trent Grisham looking like a lost cause at the major-league level and the Padres trying to chase down the Dodgers, a swap could happen sooner than later.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/b...-of-promotions/
I still think he's a smart hold but now think that solely for the prospect of winning steals during the fantasy playoffs. He's sort of come back down to earth but mostly just i think him not being on the 40man and some of the Padres players finally starting to hit the ball is going to extend the clock on this one.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/Royals/status/1541481289676689411

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Fast Luck posted:

I still think he's a smart hold but now think that solely for the prospect of winning steals during the fantasy playoffs. He's sort of come back down to earth but mostly just i think him not being on the 40man and some of the Padres players finally starting to hit the ball is going to extend the clock on this one.

He could replace Trent Grisham, who's hitting .191. with an OPS of .615.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

CocoaNuts posted:

He could replace Trent Grisham, who's hitting .191. with an OPS of .615.

After what happened to Royce Lewis there is no way the Padres are going to throw him in the outfield.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Me gauging whether to start or bench a pitcher on Monday in H2H, usually: let 'er rip!

Me gauging whether to start of bench a pitcher yesterday: Why would I start freaking Chad Kuhl against the Dodgers?

Chad Kuhl: CGSO, three hits, zero walks, five Ks.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

jabro posted:

After what happened to Royce Lewis there is no way the Padres are going to throw him in the outfield.
He's played exclusively in the outfield this year and last year though, so yeah outfield is probably the primary option for him. As for Grisham though, he's been pretty solid the last month or so, good enough to hold down his position as a plus defensive CF. Another one of the reasons why it could be awhile before we see Esteury.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Fast Luck posted:

He's played exclusively in the outfield this year and last year though, so yeah outfield is probably the primary option for him. As for Grisham though, he's been pretty solid the last month or so, good enough to hold down his position as a plus defensive CF. Another one of the reasons why it could be awhile before we see Esteury.

Oh I didn’t know they were using him there in the minors. Then yeah, what the hell are the Padres doing?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Fast Luck posted:

Trents the unluckiest guy in baseball. Every time he gets contact it goes straight to a fielder no matter what. If his babip wasn't insanely low he would have never been pulled around by the Padres. Plus he's actually taking walks now so Esteury is probably staying put.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
I streamed Graham Ashcraft to the last time tonight!

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Am I crazy for wanting to offer Corey Seager for Jon Berti? I need steals, could stand to give up some power, and already have three other shortstops.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
See if Jarren Duran is available if you need steals. I just picked him up and he hit a HR in his first AB :neckbeard:

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Corey Seager just got dropped in my league and sure his average is poo poo right now but I feel like I'd be an absolute baffoon not to put in a claim and hope for a second half rebound.

I also felt the same way about Jonathan India earlier in the year when he was OPSing in the .500s and all he did was OPS in the .500s for me for a couple of weeks before I released him, we'll see.

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Chief McHeath posted:

Corey Seager just got dropped in my league and sure his average is poo poo right now but I feel like I'd be an absolute baffoon not to put in a claim and hope for a second half rebound.

I also felt the same way about Jonathan India earlier in the year when he was OPSing in the .500s and all he did was OPS in the .500s for me for a couple of weeks before I released him, we'll see.

There are like seven guys I think can have second half rebounds and that is the lie I'm telling myself after drafting them. :qq:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Lmao whoever you're playing with doesn't pay attention to their own team cause Seager has been raking with an OPS of like .870 over the last 3 weeks.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Idk why I started Lance Lynn.
Idk why I drafted Lance Lynn

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Esteury Ruiz watch update: on the taxi squad, probably coming up soon with Profar injured.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

He has not been hitting much of late but he has been stealing a base every single game.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Severino my son,,,, against cincy??? :negative:

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Question for those of you who pay closer attention to fantasy baseball than me. I am currently in a dynasty league. My team is toast this year. What would you say to me trading Verlander and Laureano for Chris Sale and Bellinger? It was vetoed by four of the twelve in the league....presumably to keep a competing team from improving this year. But I feel like long term....this is more than a fair trade....seeing as how Verlander may only pitch another year.

Thoughts?

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
I wouldn't veto it, but if your team is toast this year, you shouldn't be trading for Chris Sale. Laureano for Bellinger is pretty much a wash this year, but you could definitely argue the case for Bellinger to have an impactful bounceback next year considering he was the MVP a few years ago. He looks pretty bad, though. Maybe a Dodger fan has more insight on what the gently caress's going on with him. Verlander is far and away the best player in the trade and you should consider yourself lucky if its vetoed because you should get a better return.

EDIT: drat, I didn't even hear that Sale broke his finger yesterday. That makes it even worse.

DeepDickPizza fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jul 19, 2022

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Question for those of you who pay closer attention to fantasy baseball than me. I am currently in a dynasty league. My team is toast this year. What would you say to me trading Verlander and Laureano for Chris Sale and Bellinger? It was vetoed by four of the twelve in the league....presumably to keep a competing team from improving this year. But I feel like long term....this is more than a fair trade....seeing as how Verlander may only pitch another year.

Thoughts?

They shouldn't be vetoing since you're not colluding....but that also doesn't seem to be a very good trade for you IMO. Seems like you should be able to get more from a contender for a guy having a Cy Young season like Verlander. Sale hasn't been a star since 2018, and owning Bellinger is maddening.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ya you should be happy that was vetoed.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Why is no fantasy sport safe from unjust vetoes? Sure that was a ding dong trade but those should be encouraged and glorified.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

DeepDickPizza posted:

I wouldn't veto it, but if your team is toast this year, you shouldn't be trading for Chris Sale. Laureano for Bellinger is pretty much a wash this year, but you could definitely argue the case for Bellinger to have an impactful bounceback next year considering he was the MVP a few years ago. He looks pretty bad, though. Maybe a Dodger fan has more insight on what the gently caress's going on with him. Verlander is far and away the best player in the trade and you should consider yourself lucky if its vetoed because you should get a better return.

EDIT: drat, I didn't even hear that Sale broke his finger yesterday. That makes it even worse.

coronaball posted:

They shouldn't be vetoing since you're not colluding....but that also doesn't seem to be a very good trade for you IMO. Seems like you should be able to get more from a contender for a guy having a Cy Young season like Verlander. Sale hasn't been a star since 2018, and owning Bellinger is maddening.

I guess I'm just not sure what his value is...since he only has his $25 million player option next year. So reasonable to think that he might play next year. But he'll be 40 years old....and it's tough to know whether he'll keep up this pace. I'm simply looking at this from the standpoint of Sale....is still in his early 30's. A broken finger from a ball being hit at him isn't the type of career hampering injury that could ruin his potential. When he is healthy and playing....he's a top 50 type pitcher with even more upside than that. Bellinger has been mostly lost at the plate the past couple of years....but hasn't he been dealing with injuries the past few years too? At 27 years old....I don't think it's crazy to think that he can return to previous form if he puts in the work.

All in all....it's a high upside gamble. But I can certainly see how people look at Verlander's current value and say that it's a bad deal. It's just that....he really provides me no value if I hold him until he comes back to earth next year or outright retires. Not sure if it matters much....but we do a categories league.

Now that this veto thing has hit the air....I've gotten a couple more offers for Verlander from other members. Lance Lynn, Alek Thomas, and Nolan Gorman. So basically two young waiver wire pickups and a 35 year old who's gotten rocked in every start this year. Pass. The other is a little more intriguing. Taylor Ward and Shane Baz. Ward is having a solid year statistically....but based upon previous years....it could simply be an outlier. Baz is a good prospect....but he's only made nine MLB starts in two years. Complete unknown.

Personally....still like the vetoed trade the best at this point.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Oof. Yeah, not a great group of offers. I dunno. Maybe other people feel better about Sale, but he’s starting to head into those declining years, pitches in a rough division and has had a couple of injury plagued seasons. Either way, he should be the throw in on an offer.

Bellinger is the bigger problem. Projections don’t really like him to have a bounce back this year and going forward he’s just too big of a question mark for my liking. Like Sale, I’d be fine with him as a throw in, but if you’re trading one of the five (?) best pitchers in the league I’d want at least one reliable piece in return. Even if Verlander only has another year or two left, he has league-winning potential. At the very least, I’d aim for a youngish mid-tier bat that has shown consistent numbers. Or if you want to bet on an unknown, get a young guy with upside instead of a guy with three years of crap after an MVP season.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

DeepDickPizza posted:

Oof. Yeah, not a great group of offers. I dunno. Maybe other people feel better about Sale, but he’s starting to head into those declining years, pitches in a rough division and has had a couple of injury plagued seasons. Either way, he should be the throw in on an offer.

Bellinger is the bigger problem. Projections don’t really like him to have a bounce back this year and going forward he’s just too big of a question mark for my liking. Like Sale, I’d be fine with him as a throw in, but if you’re trading one of the five (?) best pitchers in the league I’d want at least one reliable piece in return. Even if Verlander only has another year or two left, he has league-winning potential. At the very least, I’d aim for a youngish mid-tier bat that has shown consistent numbers. Or if you want to bet on an unknown, get a young guy with upside instead of a guy with three years of crap after an MVP season.

I keep hearing that he can float a team or win the league....and I am not sure where people are getting this. In a categories league where you'll probably have an average total of around 12-15 starts per week....even one of the best pitchers in the league isn't going to single-handedly sway the pitching categories....which only make up half of the points. And the fact of the matter is that my team isn't even going to make the playoffs.....MAYBE next year......but note that I had Verlander on my team all of this year too.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I don't care what the reasoning is behind the trade the point is you never colluded, you have your preferences, and the veto is dumb. I'd raise a stink but thats wholly dependent on how much moneys at stake

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I've never seen a vetoed trade that wasn't anything but sour grapes. Veto delenda est

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I keep hearing that he can float a team or win the league....and I am not sure where people are getting this. In a categories league where you'll probably have an average total of around 12-15 starts per week....even one of the best pitchers in the league isn't going to single-handedly sway the pitching categories....which only make up half of the points. And the fact of the matter is that my team isn't even going to make the playoffs.....MAYBE next year......but note that I had Verlander on my team all of this year too.

12-15 starts a week seems way high. An average starter is going about once every week and a half, so you're flipping a coin on if you're getting a two-start week from a stud. But most settings give you about 5-7 starters to optimally work with, not including streamers. Probably 8-12 starts. If you're adding Verlander to a playoff staff and cutting the streamers/fringe starters to retool and make way for an elite bullpen arm or two, you can really boost your odds a lot with one ace.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

DeepDickPizza posted:

12-15 starts a week seems way high. An average starter is going about once every week and a half, so you're flipping a coin on if you're getting a two-start week from a stud. But most settings give you about 5-7 starters to optimally work with, not including streamers. Probably 8-12 starts. If you're adding Verlander to a playoff staff and cutting the streamers/fringe starters to retool and make way for an elite bullpen arm or two, you can really boost your odds a lot with one ace.

Six SP spots with another 3-4 on the bench at any given time....being swapped in on starting days. So that's nine to ten without factoring in guys who make two starts in a given week. Point is that Verlander is not floating a matchup alone. At least....not in my league.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Fair enough. All my leagues have always had less SP slots than that. It still seems like you’re getting shortchanged, but if you aren’t competing this year, I can definitely understand wanting to unload Verlander for whatever you can get. Good luck.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

I started Sean Manaea on the road vs. The Dodgers on Vin Scully night.

Unfathomable stupidity.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Yahoo's comment on Tyler Glasnow:

quote:

Tyler Glasnow (elbow) threw a bullpen session on Saturday.

Advice: This was the first bullpen session for the 28-year-old right-hander. Pitching coach Kyle Snyder said Glasnow is "Fully healthy...has been throwing up to 98-pp MPH." However, he also said there is zero chance he will get in a game this season."

The tweet they have linked to:

quote:

Snyder on Glasnow, who throws bullpen session today in Detroit as part of Tommy John rehab: “Fully healthy … has been throwing up to 98-99 mph … it’s “pretty remarkable” to see where he is roughly a year after surgery … chances of pitching this year: “Not 0”

:dumb:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Jeremy Pena's been underwhelming lately. Should I drop for Gleyber or Thairo Estrada, or anyone got any sleeper shortstop recs for the last couple months of the season?