Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Step One: Get in a bracket challenge (I got you fam, see below)
Step Two: Enjoy arbitrarily screaming at your screen for Texas S&M to beat the Bojangles State Shivs

It's that time of year when us casual sports fans not only realize that college basketball exists, but also can be really really fun with some skin in the game. Also it's the swan song for Duke's legendary Coach K. so a lot of people are rooting against his team there because he is not well-liked, y'all.

I'm running my FREE bracket challenge for the 7th non-consecutive year, and buying a pizza dinner from a non-chain restaurant for the winner.

Last year's thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3962143&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Last year's prize:

This year's bracket challenge: https://fantasy.espn.com/tournament...itesource=email

Group: Absurd Madness
Password: toucan

This is the thread for discussing your various bracket Cinderellas and Busters. This is a thread for celebrating breakout players and making fun of teams that made questionable moral decisions when hiring coaches but still got upset and eliminated early.

This is a thread for using the NCAA tourneys (talking about the women's tourney is encouraged) to take your mind off of the real world. I love you.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
As always, second post is reserved for me talking ice cold smack about random teams like Northern Alaska Agricultural & Mechanical

Let's start with the South Region, 8th seed. This year it's a traditionally Catholic school known as...

Satan Hell

Seton Hall is a defense-oriented team that will net you $20,000 if you bet $100 on them right now. Wikipedia tells me it has an "endowment" of $265 million, which means they are very well-endowed. They have an a cappella group called the Seton Notes, which I thought was a pretty plain name until I realized it is a palindrome.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 13, 2022

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

This is what I posted last year:

Big Beef City posted:

I'm going to win big!

And I will continue to stand by that statement.

MoonshineWilly
Feb 7, 2007

Damn you, harlot! Science and I know what we're doing!
Hell yeah, I love March Madness and making a huge rear end out of myself as I pretend to understand college basketball. Looking forward to making predictions based on stupid qualifiers like having someone on the team named Jimmer or having an old nun bless the team before every game.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
West region, 13th seed...

Vermont Catamounts

As I alluded in the OP, the joy of March Madness comes not just from rooting for the team you arbitrarily picked to win. There is great satisfaction in watching a really unlikeable team eventually get the boot. For me, one of those teams is clearly the Vermont Men's basketball team.

First of all, when the Catamounts won the Big East division title, the school's social media posts congratulating itself were flooded with angry rants about how they have covered up and delayed sexual assault investigations.

https://www.wcax.com/2022/02/18/stu...20IX%20process.

While that alone is more than enough to make them a 2022 March Madness heel, there's more. Last Saturday they beat the UMBC Retrievers in the America East conference championship, securing their bid in the tourney and sending UMBC home. Had UMBC won, this guy would've gone to the Big Dance:

Darnell Rogers. He's FIVE FOOT TWO (1.6 METERS)!! I love me some Muggsys, and this guy is literally the shortest college basketball player of all time. I'm booing for you, Vermont. Boo!

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Drunk Nerds posted:

Last year's prize:

March Sadness

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

kntfkr posted:

March Sadness

Give 'em a break: They're in Canada. We're lucky it didn't have gravy on it.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i actually watched the championship stuff last week and i don't know why

trending into a renewed interest in watching basketball in general, having Giannis in town is rubbing off on me

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I hate sports but love to pick Illinois to go all the way every year in some random March Madness pool so this year it is yours! WOooOOOOoO

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
South Region, 14th seed...

Longwood Lancers

Longwood wins my 2022 award for "NCAA Tournament College Most Likely to Be Fictional."

First of all, I went through every NCAA tournament in history and there's no sign of any Longwood.

Second of all, Wikipedia lists their city as "Farmville" which we all know is a fictional town.

Third, they claim their coach is an oil magnate named Griff. Come on, now, that's clearly a character stolen from an 1980s soap opera.

Nice try, Longwood: The whole world will know you don't exist when Tennessee takes the court and you don't show.

Also their team name would be a good nickname for someone who has the job of piercing genitals

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 15, 2022

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Idk the first thing about any sport ever but I got my money on Brett Farve of the Dallas Cowboys. Hook em Horns let's go!

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
My bracket's gonna be busted by the first round lmao

Monkey on a dartboard theory is real folks

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Drunk Nerds posted:

Nice try, Longwood: The whole world will know you don't exist when Tennessee takes the court and you don't show.

You should always root for Tennessee to lose if for no other reason than their fans melt down in the funniest ways possible

For example, when their football coach bailed for another school:
:nws: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYAsxnRaTAg

no_tears
Dec 20, 2020

Bing Bong
Haven't made a bracket in a while, this should be fun!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
gently caress tom br*dy

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Chinatown posted:

gently caress tom br*dy

Let's all put Michigan losing in the first round to show solidarity

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
:siren:Only 25 hours left to submit a bracket!:siren:

It's better to submit one now. Just imagine: It's this weekend. You are watching cable news coverage of the world, feeling horrible. You flip the channels during a commercial, see a basketball game, and realize it could've taken your mind off the world for a few minutes if you had only joined a bracket contest. Don't be that you. Be the best you.

South Region, 10th Seed...

Loyola Ramblers

Loyola Chicago is a plucky team that has made some decent progress in the NCAA Tournament, including a 2018 final four run as the 11th seed. But what gets most people interested is their team chaplain/occasional scout, the 102-year-old Sister Jean.

The centenarian nun makes the trips to the tournament and sits courtside with her Ramblers squad.

Another fun angle is that Loyola faces a quite-beatable 7th seeded Ohio State Squad. A lot of people love to root against OSU. My dad went there, and so I can't root against them, but I'm mainly into following their football team so go ahead and pick 'em to lose, don't worry about my emotions.

It seems that Loyola also beat the University of Northern Iowa in their conference tournament. That's my mom's alma mater. What the heck, Sister Jean, I'm starting to take this personally.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I'm in!

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I'm in as well, though my other brackets are all in the CBS thing, so I may not check too much beyond this thread! Thanks for doing this, OP.

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist
What the hell, I am in. I know jack poo poo about college basketball, but it will give me incentive to watch now.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

drunkb posted:

What the hell, I am in. I know jack poo poo about college basketball, but it will give me incentive to watch now.

Exactly, my drunk brethren. Nobody knows anything about this sport, but a bracket brings the rush of gambling with none of the risk.

A Strange Aeon posted:

I'm in as well, though my other brackets are all in the CBS thing, so I may not check too much beyond this thread! Thanks for doing this, OP.

Usually my think-tank keeps tabs on possible outcomes and tells me when there is a short enough list of contestants still remaining. Then I post it here, so you can just check here for updates.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
My mom sent me her bracket to enter. She picked 4th seeded UCLA over her 7th seeded USC in the finals. She didnt enter a tiebreaker final score, so I just put in 999-998 because, if she is in first after the finals, there is no way anyone else is going to be tied with her.

Still >2 more hours left to enter! Moooooooorning sports!

Also, please note the prize is pizza from a place near the winner, so all you non-North Americans can still :getin: and win

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Cannot wait for my bracket to be busted this morning

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Yeah, I feel like after the first weekend I lose all enthusiasm because I'm busted to heck and back already usually.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

A Strange Aeon posted:

Yeah, I feel like after the first weekend I lose all enthusiasm because I'm busted to heck and back already usually.

Just don't look!

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

It is the basketball day.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Chief McHeath posted:

It is the basketball day.

Half an hour left, good luck everyone!

I didn't have to put in my usual chalk second entry: One of my nine year old sons picked a chalk bracket. Only he didn't say "just go all chalk," he made me sit there while he deliberated each game, then invariably picked the better seed. 60 times.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 17, 2022

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

You can just send me the pizza

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I made a bracket yesterday and was fiddling with it today but then was too late to save before the deadline!

no_tears
Dec 20, 2020

Bing Bong
My fiancée chose her bracket based purely on school name and her thoughts on the location of the school, and she’s doing better than me.. :)

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Kentucky lost to a team called Saint Peter's Peacocks

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
San Francisco is about to play. Their center's parents are in a Ukranian city getting shelled rn

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist

Drunk Nerds posted:

Holy poo poo. You weren’t kidding lol!!!

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Drunk Nerds posted:

Lmao my bracket is already toast

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Round one in the books! Go Bucky :smug: How'd everyone make out?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Ooof I dropped from tied at 18 to tied at 31 :(

I don't think I'm gonna win this year

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
19th but my possible points is pretty low because I had Iowa in the final four.

Need UCLA to carry me now

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I'm tied for 19th with a bunch of you and I'll never have pizza :(

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Who the hell was already in first place before picking North Carolina to upset Baylor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no_tears
Dec 20, 2020

Bing Bong
That Baylor game had me screaming! Stuck in a cluster for 12th place currently.