Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Page 2, LFG.

So, a similar idea to UBI is "baby bonds" - a bond given to a child upon its birth, which is then invested, and accessible upon their 18th (or whateverth) birthday.

For example, if you opened a $50,000 account for each child in the US when it is born (chosen for arbitrary reasons that will become clear by the end of this sentence), and it grew at six percent, you would have $200,000 when you turn 20, and a 6% return on that would be... $12,000 a year!

As it happens, it already costs mid-five figures to deliver a child, according to hospitals and insurers.

Problems:
-It assumes the continued exponential growth of investments, which is looking like a pretty bad bet already. (The majority of the developed world has had a flat GDP since 2007 or so, and the US and China are manipulating their numbers.)

-It can be squandered, especially by a young, undeveloped mind, leaving you a person who is destitute and also gets to be shamed by society for blowing their free money.

-It doesn't do anything for people who are already adults.

Benefits:
- Young adults can choose to use their bonds more aggressively, and reinvest it, which could smooth out income inequality, or save it, which could make personal finances less precarious.

-It is likely ahead of UBI right now in terms of political plausibility.

The UK has baby bonds, and they are popular, but they are nowhere near large enough to replicate a UBI (£250.)

Some links:
Baby Bonds: A Universal Path to Ensure the Next Generation Has the Capital to Thrive (Duke University)

Baby Bonds in Bloomberg, 1 day ago

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

CommieGIR posted:

It always turns into "How do we pay for it?" and then slandering the recipients as welfare queens/kings.

Strangely, nobody was slandered (or libeled) for taking covid relief money.

It's almost like there are contexts that can open the door to the concept.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Freakazoid_ posted:

Strangely, nobody was slandered (or libeled) for taking covid relief money.

It's almost like there are contexts that can open the door to the concept.

Yeah, if anything the 'welfare queen' narrative is pushed ever more desperately because they know once the floodgates are opened, then it'll be crippled possibly beyond repair.

Of course racism is a problem, even with white people on welfare who know firsthand how meager it is, it can be almost impossible to convince some (who by the way SWEAR they're not racist) that black people don't somehow get more even if you show them the receipts.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

Mellow Seas posted:

"Americans hate themselves and each other" is a great point, and a major obstacle. You can also use it to argue for UBIs, if you're clever.

"Your boss might fire you tomorrow, you shouldn't trust him. Wouldn't you want to be taken care of?"
"Some people just work for a paycheck and don't care about their work. Wouldn't you like to stop working with those kinds of people?"
"Women need a UBI so that they and their children are not stuck in abusive marriages."

I'm not very clever but here are approximate amalgamations of responses to those questions I've received when I was an annoying crusader of Correct Politics and tried to convince Americans good things are good:

"Your boss might fire you tomorrow, you shouldn't trust him. Wouldn't you want to be taken care of?"
"I don't need anyone taking care of me. I work hard, I'm not a freeloader like those people."

"Some people just work for a paycheck and don't care about their work. Wouldn't you like to stop working with those kinds of people?"
"what?"

"Women need a UBI so that they and their children are not stuck in abusive marriages.""
"They should have thought about that when they got into the marriage. And what are they doing to anger their man? Marriage is hard, it takes work, some women forget that. I don't believe in freeloading." *is on food stamps and has a crippling gambling and oxy addiction*

So like all politics I dont think very much comes down to education or information or clever word play. Actions in this country are based off emotions not knowledge. Simply put, Americans would rather keep being in pain than risk alleviating the pain of their neighbor.

It's a great OP though, thank you. And again I do think UBI can and will work in other countries. I'm excited to see it implemented and it does seem to be gaining steam.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

thehandtruck posted:

"what?"
I lol'd.

But yeah those silly arguments aren't enough to break through a 1000 year cultural tradition of "if you don't work for the Lord of the manor, and you're not the Lord, uh, I don't even know how to finish that sentence, go start working for the Lord please. :black101:"

thehandtruck posted:

It's a great OP though, thank you. And again I do think UBI can and will work in other countries. I'm excited to see it implemented and it does seem to be gaining steam.
Thanks!

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, Americans have been very specifically trained from every level of education, society and culture to be frothingly, psychotically hostile to the very idea of safety nets, common goods, or really any kind of help for the vulnerable because that might leave them open to filthy commie ideas, and the people who do believe and try to spread ideas that maybe we should help each other are silenced, beaten, and murdered.