Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

thehandtruck posted:

There is zero chance of UBI ever taking off in the US. If it ever takes off, it will un take off without without even the meddling of the powers that be. No matter how successful a pilot study is, perhaps because a pilot study does so well. Work is so primal to how Americans view themselves that it can't be excised, ever. "What do I do with my time" fuels an American's Death Anxiety, and that is the sister motivation to work-as-a-lifestyle. There is no such thing as being existentially content in America, and that's what UBI fulfills on a psychological level (running unconsciously parallel to fulfilling physical needs).

America would need to dissolve as a country and empire and be known as something completely different, then any "American" who lived before the new thing would have to pass of old age, and then it would be a generation or two before it could be accepted. The addiction to work is encoded into every American's epigenome, and that knot takes some time to massage out.

Well I don’t want to work and I’m an American so…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

thehandtruck posted:

Of course, me neither. But we are outliers. That's why we're posting on these dead gay forums. But the collective consciousness of America has a single identity: pain and death. The way that this singular mind tries to push away pain and death is to consume. working and consuming go hand in hand bc they're two sides of the same coin. Often times the ultra rich still work out of boredom, its the only thing that keeps them sane-ish. That documentary by the heir of J and J shows a lot of this.

I dunno man, I bet if you go to the local dollar store, big box retail, gas station, or outlet grocery where most Americans work and ask them, hey, do you like to work? Does your job give you meaning in life? Do you want to do this job until you die? They would probably reply "hell no, this job sucks, but I'm only doing it because I have rent and bills to pay and kids to feed".