Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

so this first page is almost done and there is literally no mention of "without rent controls UBI will just funnel even more money into the hands of the wealthy" except for the indirect reference to Manna or whatever the book is with the dystopia

I'm really sorry that I don't have exact figures, but I would imagine everyone who has lived in america (and isn't a trustfund kid/otherwise lucky enough to never think about money) knows that everyone in this country (except for rubes) will try to extract as much rent as possible for as little effort as possible, such as oh I don't know the literal current housing market which, as a reminder, was pricegouging people still reeling from an international pandemic

or how we are literally seeing this sort of unnecessary price-gouging right now with regard to gas prices in the US despite oil being cheap and people struggling, because hey, the people who have the oil want more money and will get it even when it doesn't benefit them but degrades a nation's ability to function

so if you just gave everyone more money from UBI, yeah that may work for the few days it takes before everyone else who has less reliance on money price gouges on rent/food because now they know hey, these people, I can charge them more and take that UBI! (assuming we're talking about UBI because the theoretical goal of the convo is "how to improve the lives of many people currently struggling due to capitalism's creation of widespread poverty in the citizens of its nations" unless it's more just "we like UBI and could not give a gently caress about what happens to the people but goddamn I personally would like to not have to work as hard")

talking about UBI in a vacuum is very fruitless/disingenuous for this reason, because at the end of the day if your society isn't structured around keeping people fed, housed, healthy, and educated enough to realize they need to fight for these things because otherwise capitalists/greedy shitlords will literally enslave people to fight anyone trying to make things better, then UBI is just "giving money to rich people but with more steps" if you aren't going to necessarily enforce rent control and price control on things like food and medicine

so my post is essentially asking, I love UBI, but UBI requires a lot of infrastructure to work, which I also want, so: why are we talking about UBI without the necessary price controls and enforcement of the very necessities you are purportedly trying to get into the hands of people who would benefit from UBI?

what political party/parties, at least within the US, do you think have the capacity and will to enact and enforce the necessary price controls to not make UBI immediately become a funnel of money to the rich through increased rents?

what are some mechanisms you think would help enact UBI with the necessary pricing controls to actually give people a materially better life, e.g. using that UBI income to remain housed instead of homeless, fed instead of starving, healthy instead of sick?

tl;dr: is the goal of this discussion to identify potential ways to give people more money, or ways to give them a materially better life? because those are two different things and UBI in a vacuum only does the former, not the latter.

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU