Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
There is zero chance of UBI ever taking off in the US. If it ever takes off, it will un take off without without even the meddling of the powers that be. No matter how successful a pilot study is, perhaps because a pilot study does so well. Work is so primal to how Americans view themselves that it can't be excised, ever. "What do I do with my time" fuels an American's Death Anxiety, and that is the sister motivation to work-as-a-lifestyle. There is no such thing as being existentially content in America, and that's what UBI fulfills on a psychological level (running unconsciously parallel to fulfilling physical needs).

America would need to dissolve as a country and empire and be known as something completely different, then any "American" who lived before the new thing would have to pass of old age, and then it would be a generation or two before it could be accepted. The addiction to work is encoded into every American's epigenome, and that knot takes some time to massage out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

Well I don’t want to work and I’m an American so…

Of course, me neither. But we are outliers. That's why we're posting on these dead gay forums. But the collective consciousness of America has a single identity: pain and death. The way that this singular mind tries to push away pain and death is to consume. working and consuming go hand in hand bc they're two sides of the same coin. Often times the ultra rich still work out of boredom, its the only thing that keeps them sane-ish. That documentary by the heir of J and J shows a lot of this.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

Harold Fjord posted:

The ultra rich being broken as gently caress doesn't actually trickle down into the psyche of all the wage slaves

it doesnt need to trickle down. Its everywhere. Ask the average person in the post below yours what they think of UBI. Hell ask them who they voted for. Picture all the chuds on govt assistance, ask them their thoughts on govt handouts. Im surprised theres pushback on this idea lol, americans hate each other

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

It always turns into "How do we pay for it?" and then slandering the recipients as welfare queens/kings.

Ya exactly and it happens from the bottom up too, not just from the top down. Many people in the lower two classes seethed hatred at Bernie when he ran. There's thousands of accounts where people who receive any kind of welfare hate other people who get it. Same ideology that was spoken about in the "Not My Abortion" piece from a while back.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Americans are feral animals incapable of good things is always my favorite take.

I dont know if ur being facetious but that is 100% my take.

And just because there are pockets of goodness and good people doesnt mean that as a collective we are diseased.

edit: Anyway, sorry if these posts are too negative. I think UBI can and will work in other countries. And when the American Empire falls in a hundred years UBI will very likely be implemented and work well then.

thehandtruck fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 17, 2022

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's American exceptionalism except in reverse, Americans are so horrible and vile that they can't have good things.

Correct. Americans hate themselves and each other. They torpedo opportunities to be happier because it may make their neighbor happy. That is UBI. Countless opportunities happen on large and small scales and are destroyed without the help of the Koch brothers or Hillary Clinton (but that is a huge factor too of course). It's a collective unconscious drive and it can't be healed at this point.

Im actually trying to find a study for you guys. I met a researcher who studied spite by using capsaicin. Apparently she went to different countries for participants. After codification, guess which country had the least hesitancy to upping the capsaicin amount for the other participants in their group?

thehandtruck fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

Mellow Seas posted:

"Americans hate themselves and each other" is a great point, and a major obstacle. You can also use it to argue for UBIs, if you're clever.

"Your boss might fire you tomorrow, you shouldn't trust him. Wouldn't you want to be taken care of?"
"Some people just work for a paycheck and don't care about their work. Wouldn't you like to stop working with those kinds of people?"
"Women need a UBI so that they and their children are not stuck in abusive marriages."

I'm not very clever but here are approximate amalgamations of responses to those questions I've received when I was an annoying crusader of Correct Politics and tried to convince Americans good things are good:

"Your boss might fire you tomorrow, you shouldn't trust him. Wouldn't you want to be taken care of?"
"I don't need anyone taking care of me. I work hard, I'm not a freeloader like those people."

"Some people just work for a paycheck and don't care about their work. Wouldn't you like to stop working with those kinds of people?"
"what?"

"Women need a UBI so that they and their children are not stuck in abusive marriages.""
"They should have thought about that when they got into the marriage. And what are they doing to anger their man? Marriage is hard, it takes work, some women forget that. I don't believe in freeloading." *is on food stamps and has a crippling gambling and oxy addiction*

So like all politics I dont think very much comes down to education or information or clever word play. Actions in this country are based off emotions not knowledge. Simply put, Americans would rather keep being in pain than risk alleviating the pain of their neighbor.

It's a great OP though, thank you. And again I do think UBI can and will work in other countries. I'm excited to see it implemented and it does seem to be gaining steam.