Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think a lot of focus goes into the idea of automation removing jobs, but I think there is this other issue that we don't necessarily deal with which is that we have a pretty large glut of jobs that are not necessary or not necessary to exist on a model where the job must exist 24/7/365. The question of what do you about essential industries like truck drivers who might become redundant is a fair one, but there are also people who are holding white collar jobs and frankly doing busy work for a lot of their days. I think there needs to be a bigger question about the purpose of work and reimagining a virtuous society that no longer has to work all the time.

I find Hilary Clinton's UBI plan really, really interesting. Partially because I think if she had just run on it, she might have actually won, but also shows the potential issues that UBI runs into. The essential issue that Clinton ran into was fear that the UBI would have to be subsidized by cutting social programs elsewhere. I think it's a fair concern, and it makes me wonder how we should approach things.

I think UBI basically has to come with a whole reimagining of our society in general and is only going to be entirely successful once we do that. But we also live in a democratic society, so part of me also wonders if we need to just lead with "Free Money" to get people on the bus and hopefully bought in the other stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU