Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

EL BROMANCE posted:

I do love Mrs. Maisel, but I'm not sure how I feel about Lenny Bruce being a returning character. Using him right at the beginning kinda made sense as a reference point, but now we're having him become interwoven plot points and it feels a bit off to use a real person in fiction. I know Carol Kaye wasn't particularly enthused by the Carole Keen character that was based on her, and ASP really probably should've at least approached her first. Doing it to someone dead and not even changing the name, it feels a little bit disrespectful.

The season ending has pushed me into yet another rewatch of Gilmore Girls though, so there's that. Anyone who likes Maisel and never bothered with GG really should give that show a shot. At it's best it's just so so great, and if you vibe with ASPs writing from Maisel then it's just that in abundance. Side characters are far, far better too imo.

I've liked Mrs. Maisel by and large, so I'll try to give GG a shot even though it's not my typical type of show. The heightened reality of the show works for me, and I feel like it's been present in shows (especially sitcoms) more than people remember, though it's obviously more prominent than usual here. Shaloub and Pollack do plenty of heavy lifting for me as supporting characters since I like them both a lot in anything I see them in. The actress that plays Midge's mom also got the coolest scene I can recall her having this season too.

I also like that they haven't tried to make Midge a paragon that's held down by sexism but is a pure hero fighting that good fight (my go-to example of that dynamic is the Sharon Carter ABC show). That sort of thing can definitely work, but it's more interesting when the women involved in that sort of narrative are more rounded and realistic. I like that Midge has blindspots due to her privileged upbringing, and that she goes too far in comedy in ways that screw her over, and that she's done things that make it easy to hate her or judge her. I also like that she keeps going out there and trying to succeed in comedy and that she's usually funny when she performs.

Despite my praise for the show, I can agree that the writing can be hit or miss at times in terms the actual plot decisions/actions by the characters, but I can at least justify that by the fact that people don't always act the way you think they would or respond how you think they would to new situations. The dialogue and overall vibe of the show work for me, which helps me forgive other writing/plotting issues, though I can certainly see why some people wouldn't like it or would even hate it.

For what it's worth, Lenny Bruce's daughter is by all accounts very happy to see her father on the show and thinks they're doing a great job of presenting him on it. I know Bruce's actor snagged at least one Emmy and I'd call him an early frontrunner for another Emmy based on his performance in the S4 finale, which features him imitating a famous stand-up appearance by Bruce and following it up with a big dramatic monologue, and I feel like imitations and monologues like that are catnip to the Emmy people. So I'm sure that actor's quite happy with the whole situation, and I expect this show to act as a nice breakout gig that'll lead to something really cool for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU