Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Awesome car, I'm excited to see where you go with it.

If you want to do an overdrive transmission, the 727 Torqueflite 3-speed automatic was eventually developed into versions with overdrive and lockup torque converters.

I always wanted to get a C-body Mopar, and swap out the 3-speed for something like a 46RH (later version of the Torqueflite) out of a rwd Ram pickup. The 46RH has hydraulic control of the overdrive engagement and torque converter lockup, and you can get kits to swap a newer transmission into an older vehicle and retain the overdrive and lockup functions (for example, https://transmissioncenter.net/shop/patc-727-to-518-46rh-conversion-kit-click-here-for-727-to-46rh-swap-wiring-diagram/)

I don't know much about early Hemi's, though, so I don't know how hard it'd be to get a later Torqueflite to bolt up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I had about the same opinion, mid 50's to early 70's, not really a fan of anything later. A few years ago I went to go look at a okay 1970 300 coupe, it had a little rust but looked decent and had a lot of options. Thought hard about it but didn't bite, still kicking myself a little for that. My current obsession is a 1965 300, that's the first year of the "standardized" C-body and you can get suspension and steering parts from them from Firmfeel, which is fairly local to me. (Fun fact: in the music video for "Love Shack" by the B-52's, the Chrysler convertible they're driving is a 1965 300)

Like you said, any swap you do is going to involve some surgery. Even what I mentioned with a newer-model Torqueflite, if I put one of those into a car with a 440 (which is what I'd want in a car that size), I'd need to cut off the bellhousing and install a bolt-on one for the B/RB bellhousing pattern, the newer Torqueflite only had the small block pattern.

If you're not afraid of the electronics, yeah that opens up many more late-model options. If you figure it out, it will be interesting to read about. I know some of the newer fuel injection retrofit kits (maybe Megasquirt stuff too) can control some elements of the electronic transmissions, but I don't know how much.

Edit: Also, you might be aware already but there are addon-on overdrives for a variety of transmissions from companies like Gearvendors. Supposedly a reasonably simple install, although you need to shorten the driveshaft.