Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
Since I failed to convince Sand to post this here: It's Mafia Championship Time!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Gi9t5baFa-DTjtB_d0ntrVzsrZU4SVm3OiSg4iWT21E/edit

quote:

I’m very excited to invite your community to participate in Season 11 of the Mafia Championship.

The Mafia Championship is an annual forum-based tournament series that pits representatives from various online Mafia (aka Werewolf) communities against one another as they compete to determine the Internet’s greatest forum Mafia players. Each participating community democratically elects one person to represent them and be their “Champion”.

The tournament first started back in 2013. Since then, 380+ different communities and 50+ different nationalities have been represented.

It’s a super fun event that has created many new friendships and close bonds between communities. I hope that you would be interested in taking part :)

quote:

If your community agrees to participate, the deadline for selecting your representative is April 20th, but the sooner the better.

Do you like Mafia? Do you really, really, like Mafia? As in, do you want to read 100+ posts per player per game day like Mafia? The Champs are here, and one more year, we've been invited and can elect to send a Something Awful representative (and usually one reserve player too) to play in a qualifier game, a semifinal game, and if you do really well, the Finals. Plus, usually at least one training game is held prior to the actual tournament games.

The game schledule itself is here:

quote:

There will be 8 Qualifier Games, and your representative plays in just one of these. They will have start dates ranging from the end of April to mid-June. So in other words, as long as your representative can play sometime during that period, they should be good and I’ll make sure they get scheduled into a game that suits their schedule well. I.e. if your rep is busy until June, that isn’t a problem.

The Semifinal Games will be played in July/August, and the Finale Game sometime in August/September (whenever we can work out something that suits everyone).

Last year representative was Grandicap, and the previous year we were represented by Yami Fenrir; both of them made it to semifinals. Previous years candidates have included Sandwolf and Merk, and probably a lot of other people I don't know about (sorry!). I'm sure they'll answer any questions you may have better than me, but in any case, fire away!

Mostly what you need to know is that the games can get... intense; most (though not all) people in Champs do post a lot, so following threads can be a difficult task. On the bright side, the SA Mafia community has gained some members invited straight from the champs, and most everyone agrees that they are a good opportunity to meet other players and styles. Just, you know, you will need to be generally available to play in the indicated schledule (though dates are flexible). If for some reason you will not, be sure to clear it with the administration and the reserve player, so we don't lose the spot.

We have until April 20th to give an answer. Also, the player themselves needs to agree to go - no nominating or sending people without asking them first, that's rude. So if anyone is interested in representing Something Awful Mafia, either post here or contact Sandwolf (who is the contact with Mafia Universe). Ideally we'll want to get two people, a main player and a reserve player. If there are more volunteers than spots, I guess we can run a poll or something?

Shellception fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Grandicap posted:

1 month away!

:neckbeard:

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I was the scum mvp of my game and they gave mvp to some quirky person who really didn’t have an impact. I’m not still upset about it as you can tell.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

merk posted:

I was the scum mvp of my game and they gave mvp to some quirky person who really didn’t have an impact. I’m not still upset about it as you can tell.

What is mafia if not an excuse to hold a petty grudge for far too long?

Speaking of, gently caress you Maerlyn.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Send gulagdoll

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

STING 64 posted:

Send gulagdoll

No.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
I mentioned this in the super secret mafia Discord channel that not everyone reads after a couple people (perhaps jokingly) said my name.

I am both available and willing to participate as an SA Champs representative. I expect to flame out early or go the distance. If figuratively anyone else wants to do it, I am in full support of them going.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

CubicalSucrose posted:

I mentioned this in the super secret mafia Discord channel that not everyone reads after a couple people (perhaps jokingly) said my name.

I am both available and willing to participate as an SA Champs representative. I expect to flame out early or go the distance. If figuratively anyone else wants to do it, I am in full support of them going.

Not a joke. You'll do great.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
I second volunteering Cube as tribute

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'll go but only if I can bring this avatar (I don't want to go)

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

My Second Re-Reg posted:

I second volunteering Cube as tribute

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

CubicalSucrose posted:

Show them the power of spreadsheets!

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Go get em tiger!

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Grandicap posted:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

CubicalSucrose posted:

i was quite sincere in suggesting you.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I would love to see Cube bring the championship home to us

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

go cube. powerslam those losers from the other forums through tables

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Grandicap posted:

Go for it, Cube!

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Hal Incandenza posted:

I would love to see Cube bring the championship home to us

Has Hal gone before? Why not send Hal?

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Hal.would have to want to go.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
Hal can't go, it's an amateur Mafia event and you're considered a professional when you hit your 500th game, so he's disqualified.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

CubicalSucrose posted:

Only the few, the proud, the boldly broken brained want to go.

Yami, Grandi, me, merk… the lines connect themselves…

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Sandwolf posted:

I see a lot of He/Him pronouns there.

Any interest from Clo, Rhymes, Zoya, ANarc? I think Shell and PMuzz have already expressed active disinterest.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Haha, no.

I'd fully support luscious seal eyelashes going though

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

I'm practically retired from SA Mafia for stress-related reasons, I don't really have the energy to tackle a high postcount Champs game. Plus, EU perks, I followed along Yami's and actually woke up to 20 pages once, lol.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

CubicalSucrose posted:

So they can see him post ‘about to get on a plane’ too?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
“hal’s on a plane” and the snakes are town

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

how does the championship work, do you get points for winning the game or for being a good player

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

ilmucche posted:

how does the championship work, do you get points for winning the game or for being a good player

I think your fellow players vote after the game

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

ilmucche posted:

this is why i'll never go to champs!

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Johnny Keats posted:

I think your fellow players vote after the game

They vote, which means it's pretty much a popularity contest.

iirc the guy that was so hilariously off base and defended a flipped scum so hard that he basically suicided in thread day 3 got more votes than I did, and the jury ended up adding me, one of two scum that went nearly undetected till Lylo, to the people that advanced.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

CubicalSucrose posted:

I see a lot of He/Him pronouns there.

Any interest from Clo, Rhymes, Zoya, ANarc? I think Shell and PMuzz have already expressed active disinterest.

I support you and your spreadsheets! Unless you want to see if we can be a hydra for ultimate posting power.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Go, Cube, go!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I believe in Cube :patriot:

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

So is everyone happy with us sending Cube to Champions?

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Interdimensional Ultimate Deathmatch Mafia 2 is now taking signups.

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...

Sandwolf posted:

Is it the same person/group that mods or hosts the game every time?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Token Female posted:

Is it the same person/group that mods or hosts the game every time?

It’s always hosted by the same forum + group of people, I believe they have several folks actually moderating the games, they also have some kinda neat functions on their website like a built-in votefinder bot and easily nesting quotes.

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...

Sandwolf posted:

It’s always hosted by the same forum + group of people, I believe they have several folks actually moderating the games, they also have some kinda neat functions on their website like a built-in votefinder bot and easily nesting quotes.

Thanks, I thought that was the case. I've lurked those games a few times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Here we go, for real this time. Come and join Cookfia 9- Spicy NonAchos. Sign ups will be open for a week and will start with as many players join in that timeframe.

Grandicap fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 12, 2024