Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
wtf is a wifom

wifom deez nuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Maybe I should get back into Mafia, I tell myself for the 50th time. Then I remember that I only like running games and not playing in them. Also, the games I run are bad.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Sandwolf posted:

Run the bad game

I still want to put together a Mistborn game sometime.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Jump King posted:

2010 had 107 games with 1564 players
2011 had 145 games with 2170 players
2012 had 115 games with 1860 players
2013 had 145 games with 2183 players
2014 had 127 games with 1827 players
2015 had 164 games with 2484 players
2016 had 149 games with 2060 players
2017 had 77 games with 1197 players
2018 had 61 games with 1017 players
2019 had 44 games with 605 players

This information is super interesting and I was trying to think about what could have caused the sudden decline. Sure, the world is going to poo poo and everything continues to more terrible. Also, we're all getting older and many people just don't have the time for stuff like forums mafia anymore.

But I'd like to put forward another possible cause: Discord came out in 2015 - but really rose to popularity in late 2016/early 2017. I feel like, around that time, many of the areas of the forums tended to slow down in activity as many of these communities moved to Discords.

Thus, I blame Discord for the death of forums mafia.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I think one problem I have with mafia is that I want to like it more than I do. I'm a loving dogshit terrible mafia player. Like seriously, I'm really loving bad. I'm terrible at playing games. I'm not too good at running them either. So generally, I just admire mafia games from afar. :(

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Grandicap posted:

I've enjoyed playing in your games.

Thanks. I'd like to get back into running games occasionally. Over recent years, I've realized that I'm not nearly as creative as I wish I was. I feel like Mafia, playing at least, requires a high level of creativity in how you sculpt and frame arguments. It's why I tend to prefer to run games.

Also - goddamn that drama. I was part of the Riven game (spent 99% of my time extremely confused) and had no idea that poo poo was going on.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Well in that case, I should finish polishing up the design for a 15 person game: Mistborn: Chaos in Luthadel.

Is there anyone that would be willing to skip playing in order look over the design of this game?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Well thanks to some small tweaks from Voodoofly, my 15 person Mistborn themed game will be ready to run whenever people want a new game.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Whistleblowing should be encouraged.

There's a difference between spoiling game mechanics/character alignments and speaking up about uncomfortable content.

I don't think anyone here would be upset if a player posted in a specific game thread or in this thread saying "Hey, this concept doesn't feel right/appropriate."

I think almost everyone here is very reasonable too. If I included a description in a Mafia game that someone thought was insensitive, I would hope that someone would speak up and let me know. I don't think anyone here wants to make anyone else feel uncomfortable and unwelcome, and should that happen, it is a chance for the offending party to acknowledge, apologize, and grow as a person, making the community as a whole a better place. :D

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Mistborn: Chaos in Luthadel, a game of Mafia for 15 players is now open.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I use "smooch to death" - wait what are we talking about again?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Why do you care? Why does it matter if Ecco has run games in the last year? Ecco is incredibly prolific when it comes to both running and playing games. Just because they're not actively running a game at this moment doesn't mean they're not the best person for the job.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

My Second Re-Reg posted:

Again: A whole bunch of people in this thread that I've never even heard of before boosting up somebody who I've only almost never heard of before. It's pretty silly.

Maybe that's because you've been playing Mafia here for less than a year.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

I got the impression the primary role of an IK for mafia would be opening and closing threads as part of the way the game works, and maybe renaming or moving threads too. No?

I had the impression that there was a push for an IK as kind of "neutral party" in the case that there was drama or if people were made uncomfortable by something. In which case, I think a player with a long history in this community as well as a knowledge of habits and trends would be best - and if that's the case, Ecco seems like a natural fit.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

The Mafia :420:High:420: Council

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

DGK2000 posted:

If I make anyone uncomfortable or unwelcome please tell me as it really isn't my intent. I'd rather everyone be happy. Except ConorT

I agree with this. We're all here reading words on a screen and, unfortunately, that is often hard to convey tone. What can be meant as engaging in a dialog can often easily be misread as being an abrasive rear end in a top hat. I know that I myself have been guilty of it from both sides.

I love everyone in this community and if my posts ever come across as unnecessarily aggressive, I hope people will point that out to me so that I can adjust.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

i feel like we've been fighting about this, forums-wide, non-stop, for like five years :v

It's an ongoing problem. And we see it in Games a lot too. It feels like SA, speaking in incredibly broad strokes, is broken in two groups - one group wants stricter moderation on threads, more probations on shitposting, and more banning of trolls, as they see shitposting and trolling as distracting and disrupting to threads. The other side wants less moderation, and more free trolling, as they see their trolling as harmless fun or even necessary to keep threads more lighthearted.

These tend to mix like oil and water.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

death cob for cutie posted:

if this all started because Leperflesh asked us if we need an IK because of some shithead running weird games I'm going to pout

I think I see the problem here.

##vote Leperfish

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Paranoid Dude posted:

I don't think that the idea is that a silly internet game is useful to help work through very complicated trauma, but that he is saying that there is value in low-commitment manipulation to see how to identify and counteract those behaviors in real life. It's the same thing as "roleplaying games helped me learn to talk to people," basically.

Yeah. I feel like there is a level of "ethical manipulation" to Mafia, if that makes sense. Your goal is to get others to believe what you believe or work to accomplish that goal. That is manipulation. Whether using facts or falsehoods, your goal is manipulate others toward a goal.

Manipulating and influencing are the same thing, depending on the direction you're looking from.

Mafia is a great place to learn how you handle that both in giving and receiving. Mafia is low stakes. None of our lives are going to be made significantly better or worse from a Mafia game. But there are skills you can pick up from engaging in social influencing situations that can be applied to real-life social engagements.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 24, 2023

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

No one currently here hates each other. No one currently here wishes ill of anyone else.

I agree that we're seeing a bit of talking past each other. I think there are a couple different things being discussed at once but streams are getting cross and messages misinterpreted.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I'm Mord.

My first Mafia game was Chaos in Concord in 2010. I remember nothing from that game.

I am for consistency in that I am consistently bad. But really though, I actually am terrible at Mafia so I don't really do anything as a player anymore. A lot of is tends to stem from laziness. I just cannot be bothered to spend the time to put in the research and make the effort to construct a reasonable argument. This is a personal failing of mine and a reason that I don't generally find playing Mafia to be fun. Personally, I prefer running Mafia games because building a Mafia game feels a little like building a puzzle box - only to have someone come and immediately smash it. :3

My favorite personal memory was when playing DBZ Mafia 2, I was convinced that the person who was Goku was actually Cell. I drew a picture to convince people -

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Mistborn: Chaos in Luthadel only needs 2 more players.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

What's the new site for Votefinder?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Mistborn: Chaos in Luthadel has ended in a ===Skaa Rebel (Scum team) clean sweep victory===

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Cops are boring and bad.

Every variation on a cop makes a boring and bad role even worse.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Fahrenheit is the only accurate way of measuring how warm it is

75 degrees Fahrenheit = 75% hot.

20 degrees Fahrenheit = 20% hot

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

A day one execution gives the town information. Avoiding an execution on day 1 gives the town no information.

One of those is superior to the other.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Maugrim posted:

Elaborating on this, what do we mean by information - it means you can examine other players' interactions with and voting patterns on the flipped player with firm knowledge of their alignment. That's useful enough to be worthwhile despite the high chance of flipping a townie.

Absolutely.

There is an incredibly disproportional chance that you'll flip a townie on D1. That still gives very important information and gives any town people with night actions something more concrete to work from.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

birdstrike posted:

55 COPS
55 DOCS
55 BUS DRIVERS
55 ROLEBLOCKS
55 NINJAS
100 MASONS

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

merk posted:

Thats a great sketch.

It's probably one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

CubicalSucrose posted:

Town of Salem II is free for the next week on the Epic Game Store.

I put an embarrassing amount of hours into Town of Salem. What's new in ToS2?

Or is just the first game but made to not run like poo poo?