Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Max posted:

My account on these forums is somehow 20 years old.

I'm feeling nostalgic, and just wanted to pop in and say that in those two decade, this is probably the community I've stuck around the most. I know I haven't posted much in the last few years, but I just wanted you all to know I still read and think about this community every once in a while. Hope everyone is well.

I just came back to the community on a whim. Nice to hear from you, Max, hope you're well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Happy Bday Sandwolf!

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I agree with both the conclusions reached about a certain past member, and also, genuinely, do want to see the revival of Mafia.

I'm really choosy about games at this point. Part of this is time and age, as I'm sure everyone is feeling - part of it is that I was really, honestly, a really bad person when I was overinvested in Mafia - friction in the game exacerbated mental health issues out of game and made me a person I deeply regret being.

If I find the time in the next couple months I might run a medium-sized game that might be a good way to dip your toes into the game without getting too deep into the really complex setups.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Well, okay, I do have this week off work, so let's see if I can't put together something. The setup is already done so I just need to put together the flavor and make a few small tweaks.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

The extraordinarily tl;dr version is there was a lot of problems with the Riven game, which longtime SA Mafia user Peramene hosted, which only recently came to light for a number of people. Pera has since been permabanned from the site, as a result of the various problems that came to light that were considered unacceptable at the time, and are certainly unacceptable now.

I can't necessarily speak for everyone who was hurt, nor am I going to, but people within the community have done the legwork to make sure these claims are very much legitimate. A lot of people are going back through a lot of this and reckoning with the consequences of giving Pera so much room to work with, even when, by all rights, they shouldn't have.

If people who were closer to the events want to actually dredge up their thoughts, that's up to their own comfort.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

EccoRaven posted:

If you all promise not to gamethrow on day 2 again I will host another mafia game sometime this season.

:negative:

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I will post signups for a game tomorrow. This is a threat.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

gently caress it, the hyperfixation set in, we're rolling.

The Last Nights of Camelot, a newbie/returning-player friendly setup for 16 players.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Leperflesh posted:

My impression has been that the Mafia community is great and trouble-free and part of that is that I have literally never seen a report on a Mafia game, not even once.

I always thought there was some degree of RP though, maybe I need to like, lurk a Mafia game or two to get a better feel for what it is. Basically a party game where someone or someone's is secretly the werewolf, maybe someone's got a silver bullet, you have to avoid killing the innocents or the werewolves win, kinda thing right? But then you have to try and guess who is lying based on what they post, and they have to post things, and.... there's gotta be a detail or two I don't get or it'd just be a random guessing game. Anyway yeah I see y'all are recruiting for some new games perhaps I'll just watch one and see how it goes.

There is a fair amount of lying and obfuscating who you are but as far as games being run on the forums (which almost all games are these days), roleplaying is not a factor and in some cases heavily discouraged as gimmickposting/roleplaying can be seen as obfuscating your role. What little 'roleplaying' there is is mostly just playing along with any assigned game flavor in special circumstances.

Sandwolf posted:

it's amongus play by post

Basically it's this.

Definitely encourage you to watch my currently recruiting game if you're interested in how these are run.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

My only real comment on this whole fracas is it just emphasizes how much the point of contact with buttons should come from outside the community. Happy that Sandwolf is useful as the liason for people to think they're cool and level-headed (because they are), but there's enough clashing personalities/philosophies that "what is crossing the line" should be an outside decision when it's brought up at all, lol

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Pinterest Mom posted:

I really wish people took what Voodoo and Sandwolf are saying seriously and wouldn't react defensively.

also this

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Just to say it here and not also in the discord, as someone who has had professional community management hands-on experience I do not mind being a contact point. I'm not really into being an IK since I've done stuff like that as paid work, but if people would like me to be a relatively joyless but level head to bounce concerns off of to make sure they aren't crazy, my PMs are generally always open.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

chaoslord posted:

Since basketball is now dead to me, posting reminders that two games are currently recruiting:

-Mord needs 5 more for their more regular mafia game

-Ecco is looking for 3 older players and 6 newer players to bring back fan favorite Temple game format

condolences to your march madness bracket slord

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

wins32767 posted:

Ninja: gently caress, miscounted the snipe.

get his rear end ##vote wins

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Okay now that I've finished opening Last Nights of Camelot, I can actually do this. Ecco why did you do this when I couldn't respond right away. ECCOOOOO

Anyway, I'm Sven aka Monathin aka Mona. He/They. My first game was, according to votefinder, Clash on Monster Island, but I will usually cite my first real game as Shine V. I wasn't very good!

My favorite Mafia memory is hard to pinpoint, a lot of them are very early on. I think the one that sticks with me the most is Dragon Ball Z Mafia 2, where I was Tien and had a dayvig, and blew up a town confirmed mason with my first use of it, and then beat the buzzer on someone attempting to vig me with it on my second use. That was a fun time. Alternatively it was Clash of Crocodiles where I nearly won as 3rd party and were it not for merk's blinding hatred of 3Ps I might have even fully gotten away with it.

I like playing (and occasionally running) mafia because as a social deduction game, it both plays with some boundaries while allowing some rigid guardrails for others and has allowed me to grow as a person despite being a hyper-invested aggro little poo poo in a lot of games in that middle stretch. I also like futzing with new roles and finding ways to make setups balanced that are fun and engaging!

If you read that and thought "wow that sounds like some QA Tester Nerd poo poo", congratulations! Your fun fact about me is in fact I am a QA Tester for an indie game studio. I get paid a respectable salary despite being a college dropout. I've also travelled a lot in an RV, been a box worker, know a lot about various Japanese Nerd Hobbies, and there's probably other stuff I'm forgetting that might be interesting about me.

Anyway, Mafia good.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

CapitalistPig posted:

I ran this! 8 dollars did the flavor.

I really enjoyed working with 8 bux

Honestly I'm going to have to go back and reread it, because for a variety of factors I don't remember like barely anything before late 2015 so that game has 200% been memory holed

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Mordiceius posted:

My favorite personal memory was when playing DBZ Mafia 2, I was convinced that the person who was Goku was actually Cell. I drew a picture to convince people -

This picture is heightened if you know the REAL twist of DBZ Mafia 2

Also I remember being so loving pissed arguing with you about Cell, lmao

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Hello everyone, Last Nights of Camelot needs a replacement for Night 1! If you're interested in subbing in please either send me a forums PM or DM me on Discord.

e: Replacement found!

Monathin fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 30, 2023

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

EccoRaven posted:

I once ran a game where the cop was explicitly told they were sane, and then every scum member had a godfather (returns-town) ability.

I ran another game once where the cop was insane but the backup cop was sane.

And another where the cop was a brutal cop (kills all SCUM results) and also paranoid (only gets SCUM results)

Good times.

You also ran a cult cop in a game with no cult!

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I know the Cop That Also Kills Who They Investigate role as Brutal Cop, usually it's "if you investigate someone and they are town you will kill them", as a drawback instead of being basically a Vig that confirms alignment at night.

I don't think I've ever seen it on SA. I've seen Insane Cop a very small number of times, and Paranoid (All NOT TOWN results) and Naive (all TOWN results) only in dethy-adjacent setups.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Monathin posted:

gently caress it, the hyperfixation set in, we're rolling.

The Last Nights of Camelot, a newbie/returning-player friendly setup for 16 players.

The Last Nights of Camelot has ended with a Town Victory.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Opopanax posted:

Vengeful roles, where they get to vig someone if they die, are pretty funny

Vengeful owns. EpicMafia has what would be considered a "Vengeful Vanilla" (aka their only role is that they kill someone on being executed) called Hunter. One of my favorite roles for obvious reasons.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

HTTPS access to Votefinder has been restored, which also fixes a few related issues like images not working. Votefinder is now once more accessible at https://votefinder.org/.

There are still a few lingering issues such as the "gameday + 1" issue. We're working on smoothing those out.

Huge props to you, Eps+/death cob, and everyone else who have been working to get Votefinder back off the ground. :toot:

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Opopanax posted:

(I don't know what that is in Fahrenheit and I'm not going to find out)

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Hey nerds, come watch me and Cube fight to the death over a briefcase (and some other nerds you might know).

https://twitch.tv/tha_swizzler

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Johnny Keats posted:

Isn't that Tuesday and Thursday? I'm so confused about when this is streamed

It's usually Tuesday and Thursday but tonight's a special Saturday Night Christmas Special!

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Shellception posted:

I may have posted that because I am curious if we can beat the 2023 signups record [think it's The Passage's 26?] so late in the year. But only partially!

Also, I mean, free vigs.

The Passage had 36, I'm pretty sure, so this might be tough but everyone should join this game.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Yami Fenrir posted:

If you don't accidentally roleblock the doctor when they would have prevented the cop's death, are you really playing mafia?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Hey nerds! Who wants to watch some double-fake wrestling! The Something Awful Wrestling PPV - the GOON-1 CLIMAX, is going live in the next 8-ish minutes! https://twitch.tv/tha_swizzler

Mafia superstars CubicalSucrose, Snooze Cruise, and myself are all on the card for the PPV! It'll probably have custom arenas built by our good pal STONE COLD 64! Come cheer us on or talk poo poo about us! EIther way is fun! Laugh as WWE 2k23 proves itself a barely functional videogame!

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

ilmucche posted:

I was there too

:colbert:

Play more mafia games then, nerd!!

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

death cob for cutie posted:

idk if I wanna see how the SAW crew interprets a death cob

Snooze Cruise posted:

do it coward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

If you know how to scumpost, you already know how to play a heel

"but Monathin, what if I'm bad at scumposting" even better!