Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Come join The Egyptian Job, a mostly standard mafia game with a bit of weirdness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Somberbrero posted:

I'm getting married today! Savahontas and I first met in VOTE1's Slenderman mini-Mafia in 2009. I wanted to honor that part of our relationship with a gift I received many moons ago from Little Mac. I feel in some ways indebted to the community for my present happiness, she doesn't play anymore but it is fun to read back through our cringey private messages here. Thank you, Mafia community.

Congrats!

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Since games appear to maybe be filling I'd like to remind everyone about The Egyptian Job, a mostly normal mafia game in need of 7-9 players.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
The Egyptian Job, a mostly normal mafia game only need 4 more people!

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

ONE MORE PERSON

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
The Ostuniad has ended in a scum victory .

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
The Curse of Brazil, an open setup mafia game that's something of an iteration on my Ostuniad setup, is open for signups.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Getting emotional is both inevitable and kinda part of the draw of mafia. It's a confrontation sim as much as it is a deceit sim. I don't think that there's any hard and fast rule for separating the emotions that are part of the game from the ones that aren't, and that it's ultimately on people to monitor themselves and not be afraid to disengage for a while or replace out if the latter is bleeding into the former.

People reading emotionality as alignment indicative is a problem in itself, because it encourages players to be emotional manipulatively. Worse is when shows of emotion, performative or real, are used to emotionally blackmail the thread away from pushing certain cases or votes by making the thread unpleasant when they are pursued. I think when that's happing mods should proactively ask players if they need to replace out.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

lih posted:

others also not knowing when to leave things be when that bad reaction happens which is where there is an additional problem. obviously we should encourage resilience

This is exactly the emotional blackmail that I'm talking about though. Having a meltdown should not be a method of getting people off your case. That create the perverse incentives to be emotionally manipulative. If someone is reaching that point they need to not be in the game.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Shellception posted:

Calling people having an emotional reaction to the game of having reactions, however motivated or not, "emotional blackmail" and "emotional manipulation" is harsh as hell and an example of the problem I've been arguing for.

Also, literally no one is arguing meltdowns should be a reason to get off a vote. Lih themselves hasn't.

There's a difference between having an emotional reaction and having a meltdown that instantly stops discussion about the game and makes people disengage or ask if we need to have an out of game discussion. It's difficult to discuss this while beating around the bush so as for emotional blackmail, I have to note that the incident that stated this discussion ended with "vote him or me or I replace out".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Like far be it from me to tell people that you shouldn't be emotional when you're engaged in a lengthy argument and are getting frustrated. I certainly do. That happens in every game and with almost every player at some time or another. It's immediately obvious that isn't the behavior we need to be discussing. Like I said before there isn't a hard and fast line to point to but somewhere on the spectrum of in-game emotionality it stops being about the game and breaks the magic circle. It's a problem when that happens no matter what and it's particularly a problem when it's then turned around to try to compel people to play the game in a way you'd prefer.