Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
I don't know what these folks are talking about, I'm great at Mafia, make really good decisions, and continue to say how awesome I am in my confessional. (Or maybe I'm lying?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Jen X posted:

I think the big thing that happens somewhat regularly (or did when I was regularly playing here, mostly 2-5 years back) is that people will press others too hard and it will prompt an emotional rejoinder, especially when the person pressing is doing so in a way that seems unfair or rude

this is usually sorted out by someone leaving the game or conversation cooling off and people taking a break, which is an explicit option under every ruleset and never needs to be justified, but sometimes the person pressing the other is the one being a dick (rather than he person attacked needing to opt out of an emotionally affecting situation) and things can get tricky

this is a tone issue for the most part and I like to think people being warned for being too rude is a thing that happens, but it's worth mentioning because many game runners may be hesitant to interject when things are borderline

Saw some self-awareness in the ongoing Chess Mafia game that made me feel really good.

Tired Moritz posted:

i just realized i might seem a bit rude so please attach this to every post I make in this thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKnkQdsITUE

More things like that, if folks get heated.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

STONE COLD 64 posted:

I have suggested sandwolf as the IK for mafia threads/games here would there be any issue with that?

Recommend making a separate post in TGR with this explicitly as a post title or something. Feels like a good way to improve process transparency? Since it's just IK maybe do it at the same time since low-stakes, but would be useful to use some of the generally good suggestions that have been thrown out in recent SAD threads.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

EccoRaven posted:

I think I would be an excellent Something Awful Mafia Idiot King.

1) I have no power over any other SA Mafia community

https://www.samafia.net/wiki/Main_Page

About
The SA Mafia Wiki is maintained by Ecco and

Got it in 1. But also seems like a better separation of interests vs. Sand.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Are you interested in playing a game designed by someone who hasn't moderated a mafia game before?

Have you ever asked yourself "Is a flavor-heavy mafia game based on a Christopher Walken movie a good idea?"

Curious why I asked to IK the thread for my mafia game?

Is "11 players, that's probably a max of like 11 eliminations, it can't take that long!" a compelling selling point?

Are you someone who only reads this thread and not the new game announcement thread or the big "main" Discord?

People are saying:
"You madman" - Maugrim
"Everyone go sign up for cube's game its gonna be awesome" - ANarc
"The OP scared me away" - HCT

If any of that resonates, please sign up to play or observe The Stepford Wives [2004] Mafia, a CubicalSucrose Concoction.

Game has started, observers are expected to have at least as good an experience as the players!

CubicalSucrose fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 11, 2023

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

The Stepford Wives [2004] Mafia - A CubicalSucrose Concoction has ended with a Hyper Crab Tank victory!

Thanks and apologies to all players and observers.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Grandicap posted:

Celery can last 2 weeks if you put it in some water, or if you only have a few stalks, wrapping it in a wet paper towel. So maybe the fool is you?

Put some food coloring in the water and cool stuff happens! I think! Might be misremembering.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Previous On... a mafia game where everyone is playing a role they had in an earlier game has room for up to 3 more players and a bunch of spectators. You have until some players choose their roles and I get things randomized (about a day or so?) to express interest. Game should start no later than Tuesday at 10 PM Central US time (maybe sooner).

As I was going back trying to find old games, one source was this thread that doesn't actually seem search-able, which is kinda annoying. My main source was to Google "<game name> somethingawful mafia" and that worked more often than not.

CubicalSucrose fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 6, 2023

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Opopanax posted:

Is there a thread or is this all a discord thing

Maf edit: Thread, whoops.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

CCKeane posted:

I got my secret Santa gift! Thank you Anarc, I am excited for the escape room game, very interested in the book (never heard of it before! Cain's Jawbone!)

In particular however, I truly appreciate the baby teeth from a stranger and the tears and blood of my enemies. It's what I wanted most of all.

Oh! I was wondering why ANarc asked for my tears and blood but was too shy to ask.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Now that King's Quest 4 is over. Strategy discussion:

Suppose you're a town roleblocker in a generic (non-experimental) role-heavy closed-setup game. No D1 day actions or gimmicks, no useful D1 reads at all.

Is it better to use your roleblock N1 or withhold your roleblock N1, and why?

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

In Medias Res or: Everybody Hates D1 - A CubicalSucrose Concoction, a role madness game designed for 11 players (& as many observers as Discord can handle) is now open for sign-ups.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Propaganda Machine posted:

How does cookfia work? Is it labor intensive?

Yes or no. Cooking gets you abilities. But you don't have to actually cook anything if you don't want to. I think I cooked like 3 or 4 things last time.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Just skimming through the last one is probably the best way to go

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4037299

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

death cob for cutie posted:

idk if I wanna see how the SAW crew interprets a death cob

Probably very comparable to LAP.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

How long have we had this thread title? A new challenger approaches:

Grandicap posted:

I love my flamethrower.

Mafia Discussion: I love my flamethrower.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

I mentioned this in the super secret mafia Discord channel that not everyone reads after a couple people (perhaps jokingly) said my name.

I am both available and willing to participate as an SA Champs representative. I expect to flame out early or go the distance. If figuratively anyone else wants to do it, I am in full support of them going.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Hal Incandenza posted:

I would love to see Cube bring the championship home to us

Has Hal gone before? Why not send Hal?

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Sandwolf posted:

Only the few, the proud, the boldly broken brained want to go.

Yami, Grandi, me, merk… the lines connect themselves…

I see a lot of He/Him pronouns there.

Any interest from Clo, Rhymes, Zoya, ANarc? I think Shell and PMuzz have already expressed active disinterest.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Town of Salem II is free for the next week on the Epic Game Store.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

I put an embarrassing amount of hours into Town of Salem. What's new in ToS2?

Or is just the first game but made to not run like poo poo?

I don't know. I never played the first one. I played a handful of rounds of the second one months ago on Steam. It seemed neat.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Counterargument, not one that I necessarily agree with:

Starting with:
- Over the past year or so of (quite a few) games with (quite number) of total and unique players, roughly how many times has this been an issue?

I think it's something like fewer than 10 times (very open to correction). Which is maybe like, one in every 7 to 10 games or so, and around less than once per month. On the low end, once per 7 games, at smallel-medium games of like 14 players each, that's like 1 "blowup" issue per 100 player-games.

It's unclear to me if a 1% blowup rate is "that bad" or what the medium-long-term consequences are of having such a rate. Given the "resurgence" of games in the past year or so, it actually doesn't seem like there are material issues with how things generally are today.

I think the issues, if any, would be "people stop playing" or maybe "stop playing as often." People take breaks all the time and rotate in and out of playing/modding, so although overall playing rate changes could be measured through VF history parsing, it's hard to actually isolate "stopped playing SPECIFICALLY BECAUSE OF 'bad community vibes' or whatever better label makes sense" (at least without doing specific outreach to all players about why they're playing less).

Suppose we actually are able to "do better." What would that actually mean? I suppose it would mean a reduction in the blowup rate. If today's rate is "too high" (which it might be), what would be an acceptable rate? How low do we reasonably think we could get it? Do we think enacting (some of the suggestions people have cited already) would get us closer to there?

---

Personally, I think I'll try and be more proactive while modding if I or others see things heating up a bit, taking a cue from what I'd seen Shwinn do in the space game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Trip Report / Appreciation Post

I was recently "on holiday" near the Twin* Cities and had the supreme pleasure of playing a bunch of escape rooms and meeting some Mafia friends (PhantomMuzzles, EGalz18, MockingQuantum, and associated dogs).

*cities not actually very twinlike.

I'm an escape room veteran and I convinced (some other person who hasn't ever done one) to try out one of Trapped Puzzle Rooms' rooms. It was fun. We did the Wizard's Tower which is incredibly thematic and had one of the more enjoyable & novel-in-style puzzles I've experienced in quite a while. This was a "normal place" and we went as "regular people" and got the typical experience, which was fine.

However! Many know of the "Escape Room Mortuary" which is "the real deal."

The Lodge of Lazarus Crowe is (in its current state), a really fascinating experience. In like a year from now, it will probably be the best place I know to do live action puzzles (today I guess it's probably that one place in Vegas at uhh...Caesar's I think). I did the three currently-available rooms, a playtest of a less-structured experience, and a few of their worldbuilding challenges.

Apothecary was a bit of a personal embarrassment, needing a clue for my first puzzle and taking way too much time on another, but the room's puzzles were good and the atmosphere was perfect for daytime. This one seemed to try to go a bit outside-the-typical puzzle types in a few ways. I think it was fairly successful and they were reasonably well-calibrated, personal performance aside.

Library was my best room and was a fun mix of puzzle types alongside good theming and a nice floorplan/layout. It was a very, very good example of a "classic/prototypical escape room."

The Office (after I was able to get in) imbued a lot of lore/worldbuilding and had some meta-elements that absolutely made the most of the huge footprint they've got with the space in ways that I think would be very difficult for other companies to replicate well at all. There was even surprise guest voice acting (shout-out to language-speaker [redacted for now?])! With some hints and (necessary) help, I had a blast with this challenge.

The Briefcase* playtest is (probably) going to lead to some adjustments and a better experience when it releases, which seems like a good thing and I was happy to be of service.

*(I don't know if there's a real name for this.)

Then I got "the tour" which involved seeing the majority of an in-progress build, the "infamous sink," and learning about the ambitious and detailed plans to dial the whole thing up to 11*.

(*or however many rooms/experiences they wind up with).

The worldbuilding challenges ("Initiation") were wild and I (to my detriment) underestimated them (and/or had hit an actual mental focus limit?). They really illustrated how much care and detail went into how "basically everything is a part of some puzzle" (and there are a LOT of "everything"s).

Not sure if I said this out loud at all, but "That's so fuckin' clever" might be the phrase that applies most, to just about everything, the whole time.

-----

Pitch/Content Retrospective aside, it's difficult for me to properly express the incredibly high amount of appreciation I have for EGalz & PHuzz (...+the other staff +MQ). They were actually working, but took a huge chunk of time out of their day to basically provide a VIP treatment to let me play with their toys. I will once again apologize for the scheduling/availability/reading comprehension issues I had regarding the post-Lodge stuff, but they were able to be much more flexible than they had any need to be.

From the various online forums game-ish interactions, my impression had generally been "these people seem pretty neat/kind/cool" and the reality (at least for like half a day) turned out to greatly exceed those expectations.

Go visit them!