Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Sup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Shellception posted:

I was scum. I was about to be voted out. I went to sleep before deadline (yay, Eurozone!).

Turns out the other vote leader was an arsonist. Who got out before me. But they exploded before going out.

Killing three people.

Among them, my only surviving scummate.

I was still alive next day.

Mods dropped the news to me at 6 am with the gif version of this:

:negative:

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

My favorite moment was probably when I SK-claimed to amni in a masonry like n2 or something, got revealed day 3 or 4 and went on to win the game.

The amount of bullshit I had to talk and false setup spec to encourage was nuts.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

spacing in vienna posted:

That player is my real life husband and that was his first ever Mafia game. He played for all of maybe fifteen minutes.

That game is why I have the aliases "wife" and "widow" in votefinder.

For the record, he thought it was loving hilarious.

He is the perfect mafia player.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=4010838&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post525820485

Isekai Mafia 2. You know the drill.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Podima posted:

Hello, friends! As many of you likely know, Alli has graciously hosted and maintained Votefinder for the SA Mafia community since 2016 (six years!), but she is ready to move on and would like to find someone that she can transition ownership of the bot to.

She can provide the codebase, a database dump, and the configuration files that are currently in place on the server that Votefinder runs on today - but she will not be able to provide the server itself in perpetuity as it currently runs on a personal server.
Gory technical details: Votefinder currently runs on a Linux server using nginx and uwsgi, and has a mysql database as well. The codebase itself is Python/Django.

The new owner will need to provide a new server on which to host Votefinder, and (put simply) have enough knowledge to actually do that given all of the above - Alli doesn't have the bandwidth to teach someone new how to do this from scratch. If you're interested in taking this on, please post here, PM me, or ping me on the SA Mafia Discord (linked in the OP). We'll figure out logistics from there.

Lats but not least... Votefinder's been a fantastic tool for the community, both from a vote-counting perspective and also as a mind-boggling record of over 1,350 games of Mafia played on SA over the last 12 years. I really appreciate the time and effort Alli's put into keeping it running - thank you!

:same:

Alli, thank you for your effort.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Happy birthday to whoever this applies to

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Sandwolf posted:

:( this is really nice, thank you Opop <3

Happy birthday!

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Not going to bother echo chambering the stuff (it's true) but I agree that you should come play with us!

We always give newbies a warm welcome. Sometimes with words, sometimes with vigilante shots...

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Sandwolf sounds like a wonderful choice, yes.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

I volunteer as tribute if gets people to slap fighting in a thread that isn't even an active mafia game

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

chaoslord posted:

I took it as a joke about what happens in mafia games when you don’t set a deadline. In mafia games the stated question is always “who should be dunked?” and you have X days to do it, the deadline helps move things along somewhat. When the deadline for that is way too long or if one doesn’t get set things tend to go off the rails more often because a bunch of people want to seriously work toward an answer and others are thinking “we have a week to figure this out I can :justpost: for five days” and it can lead to butting of heads and such

Here the question was “who should be IK/do we need an IK?” And with no deadline set the thread turned on itself for a bit lol

Also mafia players don't work without a deadline, it's not "we have 5 days to figure this out" and more "We have 4 days to go afk and 1 day to select a target in a panic"

:negative:

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

These kinda posts aren't helping anybody.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Pinterest Mom posted:

Yeah that's why I pointed it out.

I'm talking about yours.

You know cloaca's already frustrated, no need to be pedantic to them. Not the first time I've seen people fuel the flames with that kind of behavior.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Hello, I am Yami Fenrir.

I don't remember the exact name but my first game was a spaceship game with a crazy orb death cult.

I remember it because it had Harold Krell in it and he lost the game despite having a role that wins automatically.

My favorite memory? Probably my first scum game with birdstrike and Monathin. Having my first scum game be a complete sweep kind of set the tone for me and is what made me prefer scum to town. IIRC I do have an above average winrate as scum even now, probably more so than town.

I like playing mafia because... hard to say, really. Social deduction games have always intrigued me because it goes beyond the mechanics and into, well, social stuff. I started out with Throne of Lies which I was a big fan of (RIP) and was reading a lot of forum games. It was Natural20's Dragon Ball Z series of mafia games that eventually convinced me to join an actual game.

I tend to run a lot of games that people consider a bit whacky (the so called "Yamigames") which are aimed to be fresh while still being (mostly) balanced. I generally prefer modding to playing unless the flavor intrigues me.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Opopanax posted:

Sane Cop is basically neutral, they check someone and get their alignment (except for godfather and Miller), but there also:
Insane cops which get opposite alignments
Paranoid cops whl always get scum results
And Naive cops who always get town results. I feel like I've only seen sane cops for years

That's because cop sanity has never been a good mechanic in the history of mafia.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 11, 2023

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

EccoRaven posted:

I once ran a game where the cop was explicitly told they were sane, and then every scum member had a godfather (returns-town) ability.

I ran another game once where the cop was insane but the backup cop was sane.

And another where the cop was a brutal cop (kills all SCUM results) and also paranoid (only gets SCUM results)

Good times.

I still remember that game where you put me, as a newbie, into a masonry. I was a miller, with the godfather and the cop.

So rude.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Congratz!

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

death cob for cutie posted:

FYI, it is very likely that the current template system that Votefinder uses is going to be severely overhauled in the future - in fact, "templates" may just become data associated with each game, where you set certain things like any customization to the posted votecount messages.

Is anybody upset about this idea? Does this ruin anybody's good time?

I don't care either way. If it helps having visibility in both light and dark mode I'm all for it, though.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Cloacamazing! posted:

That's our WindwardAway!

Yeah seems pretty normal to me.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Sandwolf posted:

Finally, I can go mad with power.

You already were in the first place!

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Holocure Mafia, a role madness game for 17 players, now taking sign-ups!

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

If you don't accidentally roleblock the doctor when they would have prevented the cop's death, are you really playing mafia?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Opopanax posted:

Happy birthday Sandwolf, you son of a bitch

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Go get em tiger!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Johnny Keats posted:

I think your fellow players vote after the game

They vote, which means it's pretty much a popularity contest.

iirc the guy that was so hilariously off base and defended a flipped scum so hard that he basically suicided in thread day 3 got more votes than I did, and the jury ended up adding me, one of two scum that went nearly undetected till Lylo, to the people that advanced.