Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
It feels like there's a lot of effort over the last few pages to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

birdstrike posted:

we solved it by kicking out your first re-reg

But nobody got my original reg!!

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
lmao

A bunch of people who don't play Mafia anymore boosting up an IK who almost never plays Mafia anymore

Who the gently caress are all you people?? Ecco has... what, run one game in the last year? Most of you I've never even seen before?

An admin comes in and literally says "I never have any reports about the Mafia threads" - maybe that means we don't need to screw with the current setup by giving IK powers to someone who's disconnected from the actual goings on of Mafia in 2023?

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
Yes, I do happen to think that someone in a leadership position should actually be at least somewhat visible and active in the community they're charged with leading.

Maybe Ecco was a powerhouse mafia player/runner at one point, but that's no longer the case. And if we're going to go the needless route of getting an IK for Mafia, I'd rather it be someone who is actually active in Mafia in the year 2023.

Again: A whole bunch of people in this thread that I've never even heard of before boosting up somebody who I've only almost never heard of before. It's pretty silly.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

Mordiceius posted:

Maybe that's because you've been playing Mafia here for less than a year.

And somehow that makes me less qualified to voice an opinion on the subject than people who haven't been playing Mafia for the last year?

All these names I've never heard of before coming in and saying "Mafia is back, baybee!!"? Mafia was never gone. It never died. You just left.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

CapitalistPig posted:

As someone who has been active in mafia on these forums for at least 10 years now and is still active as of 2023.

This is a bunch of bologna.

How so? Sure, you're familiar, we've actually played before - but am I beholden to sucking up to the opinions of a whole bunch of people who aren't active in the Mafia community? So what if there are people posting here who used to be into Mafia - they aren't now, and really shouldn't be attempting to steer a community they left a long time ago.

chaoslord posted:

A good post

If there's an actual show of support from the active community to get an IK in place, then go with it. But right now it's mostly people who don't play Mafia anymore asking for an IK who almost never plays Mafia anymore.

It shows a genuine disconnect from the state of SA Mafia in tyool 2023. If everyone feels like we absolutely have to have an IK there's no reason it should be somebody who isn't as active as... frankly any number of other people who would make a great fit. wologar, Maerlyn, Shell, HCT, Cloaca, Obama, Sandwolf, Yami, gently caress it give the goddamn star to b-minus1 or something but make the choice relevant to the current community.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

Voodoofly posted:

Otherwise, though, I'd much rather have a big list of people in the mafia community (old, new, whatever) that people can be referred to, preferably a list that constantly changes. The bigger the better, as a community shouldn't be defined by one, or even a few, select people.

Shellception posted:

Launching this again, since we are all here, now. Independently of who gets IKed, or if anyone gets IKed, maybe it'd be good for a general list of "contact these people in case of a problem" to get out of all this. We can get a mix of older and newer people in there (which seems to be the main issue here, half the thread does not know the other half!) link it in thread and the Discords, and maybe tell the mods to keep an eye for comms from those people specifically, regarding Mafia issues.

That avoids power comcentrations, games with buttons, and lets everyone have someone they may trust somewhere. So maybe?

These both seem like excellent suggestions.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
For what it's worth, what little I have experienced of Ecco makes it seem like she's a lovely, very creative and talented person; the flavor she wrote for the one game of hers I've been able to partake of was great, and she handled what was an honestly poo poo situation (D2 game throw) with aplomb.

But (A) I agree with the others in saying I don't think we need an IK right now, and (B) if we did I'd rather it be someone who is actually active and visible in the current community.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

Jose Valasquez posted:

I know you've only been here for like 5 minutes, but you may not realize that people's involvement with Mafia games ebbs and flows and it doesn't mean they aren't part of the broader Mafia community. Maybe consider that the people who have been actively involved in the community for more than a decade have opinions worth listening to even if they aren't actively playing or modding games at this moment. New players are worth listening too as well! It's just a community that likes playing a party game on a dead forum every now and again, not skull and bones

I myself like to come in every now and then to dazzle the young bucks with my prowess as scum before once again slipping away to the comforts of shitposting on Discord until I emerge again like a cicada

The opinions of people who don't play mafia are certainly valid. But it should be noted (for people like mods and admins who don't poke their head around these parts very much) that there are a lot of people itt trying to decide How SA Mafia Should Be™ without actually playing it.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

chaoslord posted:

Think bif would also be great as like half of the folks M2RR brought up (is that the best/preferred way to shorten your username?), but also seems like we are at pretty good consensus that “list of outside posters” would be the best solution for now and fingers crossed we never have to revisit this convo

Yknow, I've never seen anyone shorten it to M2RR before but I like it, you're ok people chaoslord.

Also, yes, sure, toss Bif into my shortlist of decent candidates. But it really does seem like the majority opinion at this point is that an IK isn't really needed, and the "list of people who you can talk to that don't suck" feels like an excellent alternative.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

Mr. F! posted:

See I think there’s a tone issue here, we’re all (ostensibly) friends (or perspective new friends) trying to figure out what needs to happen to our community. There doesn’t need to be an us vs them. We’re all on the same team.

I am well noted for being a loudly opinionated cockbite, so for what it's worth I agree with this and mean zero ill posting will toward anybody.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
In case I need to clarify one more time:

Everyone is allowed an opinion. Everyone should feel comfortable sharing their opinion! Consensus is a good thing!

But my opinion is that (A) we have no need to elect an IK in the first place, (B) if we do then said IK should be someone who is currently active, and (C) who that IK is shouldn't be decided solely by people who don't currently play Mafia.

If you're an oldhead who stopped playing Mafia please, come back! We always need more players! But I don't feel the need to apologize for pointing out, in the face of mods/admins who (admittedly & understandably) aren't familiar with the community here at all, that a lot of the support for an IK is coming from people who stopped playing (who in turn are supporting someone who has also mostly stopped playing).

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

Diqnol posted:

Can you just explain to us the value of a current player poster over a non current but active poster? Is it that they know more about offending behavior? I would argue the latter is more valuable in a position of power because no dog in the fight allows a greater degree of impartiality.

If it's an active poster but non-active player I'd see no issue there either; like, you don't have to play or run games so long as you're still a part of the community. But I feel like if we were going to elect an IK (which, again, I sincerely don't see the need) it should be someone who's visibly and routinely active on The Game Room forums in at least some fashion.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

shwinnebego posted:

I’m not actually trying to ‘restrict’ anyones language but just noting that when I (a non-black person of color in the US) see people use the word ‘lunch’ in the lying game on the overwhelmingly white forum I think “hey look a (probably) white person is going out of their way to avoid saying ‘lynch’”

Having to have this thought feels a bit cringe and annoying and distracting when I’m trynna relax and be an evil scum

If that matters to you, you may consider using a different word

Again, not advocating for a ‘restriction,’ but hoping ya might be sympathetic to this

For whatever it's worth I agree with pretty much everything here.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

Jump King posted:

will you be my partner in ecco's temple game?

I have a firm "one game of Mafia at a time" rule and I'm already in the Rimworld game, but if I die before signups close I will consider it!

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
I am not very comfortable posting about myself, but in the spirit of bridging gaps:

I'm MSRR, or Re-Reg, or now also M2RR apparently. I thought forums mafia was the dumbest thing for years until I actually played a game, then it 'clicked'. You can blame Shell/Maer for inflicting me on all of you with their last newbie game in the VG forum. I am a dour jackass who hates fun. My favorite memory was earning my avatar.

Beyond that.... meet me in game. :c00lbert:

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
lmao your mom is badass

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

CapitalistPig posted:

Hurray! I appreciate all of the work people have put into this.

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
I second volunteering Cube as tribute