Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

hi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

TammyHEH posted:

Dumb bad game 4 losers who stink

So you're saying I should play more

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Mr. Humalong posted:

if you're reading this in 2025 quote me and list how many people on this page still play mafia

How many still play Mafia in 2022?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Sandwolf posted:

If you use a sample size of like 3 months I’d say, honestly, 30-35 people

on this page, geez read the thread

##vote Sandwolf skimming the thread to look like he's providing content

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

death cob for cutie posted:

can we send mr. steak to the championships even though he's banned

lol jemery

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Hasn't hal done like 1000 games? If we send him he probably won't even notice the extra time commitment

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

The Good Place is probably my finest performance.

I was on a scum team with 4 other people who all died on days 1-4, I managed to slip through all the way down to 3 by dodging several close calls and won by talking CapnAndy into executing binus instead of me by convincing him that my scum buddies had been aggressively bussing binus

I can make up some pretty convincing cases when my back is against the wall

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Hal Insandenza posted:

One of my favorites too! I replaced in for Amnistar as a bounty hunter and killed two of my targets on the first two nights and tricked Tom Tucker into claiming his flavor and then immediately shot him to abscond with a win.

This really was fantastic

Hal Insandenza posted:

Oh if we are flavor claiming too I am Matt the weird sex-things accountant

Tom Tucker posted:

I don't see why flavor claims are important but I am Shawn.

Hal Insandenza posted:

##shoot Tom Tucker

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

ObamaAkbar. posted:

We don’t deserve you

I know, but you quoted shell instead of me for some reason :confused:

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

If nobody else can get it working I probably can, I get paid to touch computers all day

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Toalpaz posted:

Happy birthday Mr steak

happy birthday Jemery!

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Jump King posted:

I wonder how the last few years would look on this

2020 had a bit of a resurgence for some reason

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

death cob for cutie posted:

I thought B&R got started around the time Lowtax was revealed to be even shittier than previously known

Nah, there was a push to move to B&R around then when SA's future was uncertain, but it was around for a while before that as a weird politics-brained-user sanctuary

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

EccoRaven posted:

If you all promise not to gamethrow on day 2 again I will host another mafia game sometime this season.

no deal

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Hi folks. I have never really paid any attention to the Mafia community on TG, and when I became a moderator I knew Podima basically covered all of TGR and just left it all to him.

That was a mistake.

I'd like to help this community in any way I can. One thing that I think we might like to talk about is explicit safety rules in Mafia games, whether they're run in TGR or just recruited here and run offsite. I understand that the format requires players to not discuss the game outside of the strict structures of the game itself, to avoid leaking secrets that give away the central idea of Mafia. However, maybe it would be good to state clearly for everyone involved that inappropriate interactions can and should be exposed, either to the gamerunner or if that is not satisfactory, to mods? Any mod or any admin, anyone a player is comfortable with.

If that's not a good idea or seems unnecessary, OK, help me understand and let's figure something else out.

If you'd rather not clutter up this thread with this discussion, we can also talk in the general TG feedback thread that is running now.

There should probably be general rules and guidelines for all of TG that also apply to Mafia games, but the weird abuse stuff was only Mafia related in that some of the people involved were also part of or formerly part of the Mafia community. Mafia is a lot closer to a board game than crazy sex dungeon role playing and probably doesn't need specific rules that don't apply everywhere else too.

Having explicit rules and ways to escalate would be good though!

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Opopanax posted:

We're generally pretty good about self policing, and if anything too much moderation can be an issue in games (not as much now but I remember when people used to get probed for empty quotes and such). It's nice to have someone we can contact if need be but we're insular enough that we have a handle on things

I mostly agree although phrasing it this way after the other stuff isn't the best!

There's not a ton of drama in Mafia games that would need a forums mod to step in but making it explicit that if you feel uncomfortable with something you can escalate to forums mods would be good.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

My impression has been that the Mafia community is great and trouble-free and part of that is that I have literally never seen a report on a Mafia game, not even once.

I always thought there was some degree of RP though, maybe I need to like, lurk a Mafia game or two to get a better feel for what it is. Basically a party game where someone or someone's is secretly the werewolf, maybe someone's got a silver bullet, you have to avoid killing the innocents or the werewolves win, kinda thing right? But then you have to try and guess who is lying based on what they post, and they have to post things, and.... there's gotta be a detail or two I don't get or it'd just be a random guessing game. Anyway yeah I see y'all are recruiting for some new games perhaps I'll just watch one and see how it goes.

There can be some incredibly minor roleplaying in thread based on the flavor of your role, but it's almost exclusively optional and since you aren't talking to people outside of the thread it's all in public.

There can be discord channels for people who are allowed to communicate outside of the thread (like the Mafia team), but they are also open to observers who aren't a part of the game. Afaik there is no communication in Mafia that isn't public to anyone outside of the game who wants to watch (someone who plays more often can correct me if I'm wrong)

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Pussy Quipped posted:

Taste PMed me to play mafia again so I will try my best

To lose.

You can report this kind of abuse to a mod

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Sandwolf doesn't like how I play Mafia so we should excommunicate him rather than give him more power

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I do think there is something to be said for having the IK be a part of the community but not a regular in games. Not because I think they would abuse their power, but because it can be intimidating to get aggressive with an "official"

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Jose Valasquez posted:

I do think there is something to be said for having the IK be a part of the community but not a regular in games. Not because I think they would abuse their power, but because it can be intimidating to get aggressive with an "official"

Ok fine I'll do it

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Sandwolf posted:

people can change, Jose. I don't do the thing you don't like anymore because folks like you, Keane, and Cena showed me why it was harmful and rude

Don't believe you

##shoot Sandwolf

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

CubicalSucrose posted:

https://www.samafia.net/wiki/Main_Page

About
The SA Mafia Wiki is maintained by Ecco and

Got it in 1. But also seems like a better separation of interests vs. Sand.

I miss TLB :smith:

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Shellception posted:

I am not sure we need an IK, like, the game literally does not generate reports, lol.

I'm glad this is the case now because boy oh boy it didn't used to be lol

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

kcw started the first game of forums Mafia, but he has also done a lot of good work with unions. A complex figure for sure

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I've moved to using execute, but I've got some bad news about the history of executions in the US

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

At the end of the day it's a game that centers around the extrajudicial killing of mostly innocents based on wild accusations, but it's also just a dumb party game, not an endorsement of behavior. You can play Monopoly without endorsing the problems caused by capitalism, or enjoy a Batman movie while recognizing vigilante justice is bad.

We can avoid specific terminology that is very obviously problematic like "lynch", but don't think we have to dig all that deep beyond that

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

I got the impression the primary role of an IK for mafia would be opening and closing threads as part of the way the game works,
this part isn't really needed since OPs can close and open their own threads

quote:

and maybe renaming or moving threads too. No?
tbh this is probably the only thread that would need moving (up one level to TG) or renaming (for funny thread titles)

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Make me an IK so I can give this guy some sixers

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Mr. F! posted:

I think everyone should take a deep breath and then keep that breath inside and shut up

Go ahead, keep screaming "shut the gently caress up" at me, it only makes my opinions worse

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

chaoslord posted:

You keep saying things like this is needless, and maybe you're right! But also, this recent explosion of activity was caused by an event that a lot of people didnt want to talk about because there was someone important in the community that shouldn't have been. Having an IK is probably unnecessary but multiple people seem to think it's a good idea given, well, all of this, so why fight it so much? I have seen I think two probations in-game, so it's almost a certainty the buttons will never be clicked.

Start from the premise multiple members of the community want an IK (and even if we didn't, the mods and admins seem to think it's worth exploring because of everything that's happened) and that it's basically harmless so we're going to do it. Who would you nominate? We have already ruled out Sandwolf, probably the most obvious choice, because, given everything else, it is probably a bad idea to have someone in that position here on the forums that is also in that position where they have direct control of one of the two mafia discords.

I think having someone who Cares About Mafia without necessarily being Super Active is fine. Ecco is active in one of the discords and is around the mafia community enough to understand the culture of the place without being in two games already and going "I am too busy in the games I am playing to go press the button the once in five year it is necessary to do so." The whole point is to have someone that is good to go to if an issue arises so having someone who knows the community but isn't always in games makes sense.

I'm fine if it's not Ecco. But if not Ecco, who? Like I say, I think most people would nominate Sandwolf, but again, this was all caused by concentration of power so we should probably avoid that.

Regardless of whatever re-reg's problem is, "Mafia had an IK that really didn't do anything but ended up abusing their position of power" is not a good argument for why we need another IK from the Mafia community. There's really not much for an IK to do, just list a few people in the OP of every game who are good resources to talk to if someone feels uncomfortable with anything at all and recommend escalation to SA mods if there's a problem that isn't adequately resolved by that. No need for someone to have buttons for any of that

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

chaoslord posted:

Yes please I’m going to have to turn off Avs at work again otherwise

Actually I’ll do it tonight if no one else will. Quote this post with your best suggestion for Mr F’s new avatar

Same av but uncensored

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

chaoslord posted:

But mods and admins seem to think it’s a good idea
It seems like they were mostly thinking we needed an IK to do things that we don't really need an IK for

quote:

and maybe I am misremembering but I thought there were multiple people itt who said they thought it was good, so I think probably better to defer to them IMO
I didn't get to where I am in Mafia by rereading threads, but I'm curious what people think we need someone with buttons for.

My Second Re-Reg posted:

How so? Sure, you're familiar, we've actually played before - but am I beholden to sucking up to the opinions of a whole bunch of people who aren't active in the Mafia community? So what if there are people posting here who used to be into Mafia - they aren't now, and really shouldn't be attempting to steer a community they left a long time ago.

If there's an actual show of support from the active community to get an IK in place, then go with it. But right now it's mostly people who don't play Mafia anymore asking for an IK who almost never plays Mafia anymore.

It shows a genuine disconnect from the state of SA Mafia in tyool 2023. If everyone feels like we absolutely have to have an IK there's no reason it should be somebody who isn't as active as... frankly any number of other people who would make a great fit. wologar, Maerlyn, Shell, HCT, Cloaca, Obama, Sandwolf, Yami, gently caress it give the goddamn star to b-minus1 or something but make the choice relevant to the current community.
I know you've only been here for like 5 minutes, but you may not realize that people's involvement with Mafia games ebbs and flows and it doesn't mean they aren't part of the broader Mafia community. Maybe consider that the people who have been actively involved in the community for more than a decade have opinions worth listening to even if they aren't actively playing or modding games at this moment. New players are worth listening too as well! It's just a community that likes playing a party game on a dead forum every now and again, not skull and bones

I myself like to come in every now and then to dazzle the young bucks with my prowess as scum before once again slipping away to the comforts of shitposting on Discord until I emerge again like a cicada

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Sandwolf posted:

It’s also kinda messed up when we’ve been having community wide conversations about people being comfortable in this community, only to have the members of the community come in and attack someone because they basically don’t recognize them?

I agree, and think that rereg should apologize to us for doing that!

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Sandwolf posted:

Can you earnestly tell me what I am supposed to do when people from this community come to tell me they are uncomfortable by something occurring here? Like I was just suggested as a point of contact for that, I came here publicly to talk about it, and it’s met with you folks hitting out at me for doing so.

Talk to the people in PMs and try to address it rather than a vague scolding. Nobody is legitimately trying to make anyone uncomfortable, they're just posting on Something Awful

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Mafia doesn't have good guys and bad guys, it's just different teams. The town does hosed up poo poo the whole time.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

chaoslord posted:

I think a public “hey the way this is going is making some people uncomfortable” is fine personally and then specific can go to PM if need be.
This particular issue seems to be resolved and I don't want to revive it, but as a meta discussion of how to handle conflicts I think the issue with this is that there were a whole lot of people posting in a lot of ways and it still isn't clear what was making people uncomfortable. When it's unclear what the actual issue is everyone will just go

That's why I think it would be more effective to contact individuals about specific things they are doing that are making people uncomfortable. A general "hey everyone chill a bit" along with that is fine.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I also touch computers for a living and can help with funding or maintaining votefinder in perpetuity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Opopanax posted:

True to form I'm not going to read 200 posts so I trust you guys worked it all out

We came to the conclusion that you are being peacefully put to sleep and will travel into the great unknown for your next adventure because we think you're scum