Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Welcome to the 2022 FIA Formula One World Championship
Sorry if it's not as exciting as Netflix made it seem with editing

There's currently 22 races on the calendar, but there might be 23 if they find a replacement for the cancelled Russian GP.
The first one is this coming Sunday (20th March) at 1500 UTC, with the first practice session tomorrow (Friday 18th) at 1200 UTC. If you cannot convert from UTC to your own time zone the official F1 website at https://www.formula1.com can if you scroll down far enough.

How to watch: depends on where you live and what you want to pay. Use a search engine, I promise it's not hard.

FULL RACE CALENDAR HERE
SESSION TIMES

TLDR https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_Formula_One_World_Championship

The official YouTube channel is pretty OK these days as well

What happened last season?

A very close and contentious World Drivers' Championship was decided in the last laps of the final race when the race director Michael Masi incorrectly applied the rules, thus handing Red Bull driver Max Verstappen the WDC. This is a mistake for which Masi has been fired. Mercedes were World Constructors' Champions.

TLDR https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_Formula_One_World_Championship

What's new for 2022?

A lot. Completely new cars, now primarily generating grip from ground effects rather than the over body aero that has driven designs since the mid 1980s. The hope is to allow closer racing without the cars being compromised by 'dirty air' turbulence that has characterised the last couple of decades. Everyone was predicting a borderline "spec" series with the newly restrictive technical regulations and an increased number of standardised parts, but we've ended up with 10 very different cars.

Everything's new and the old order is out, anything can happen this year. (But also it will probably be the same top 3 teams).

What's the same for 2022?

The engines remain cutting edge 1.6l V6 Turbo Hybrids, putting out something in the region of 1000bhp, and running each 300km race on less than 100kg of fuel. Way too many tracks, many of them sportswashing terrible regimes. Soap opera drama. Christian Horner is a prick.

Teams & Drivers

Mercedes

Mercedes-AMG Petronas Formula One Team

Since the hybrid era started in 2014 Mercedes have won every drivers' and constructors' championship apart from last year's drivers' title, which was lost in extremely dubious circumstances. Their new car is one of the most radical designs, which looks quick but potentially unweildy.

7 time World Champion and last year's runner up Sir Lewis Carl Davidson Larbalestier Hamilton, MBE is joined by new teammate and fellow British driver George Russell who earned promotion from Williams with some excellent drives in inferior machinery as well as a notable performance substituting for Hamilton when he was unable to race due to covid-19.

Red Bull

Oracle Red Bull Racing

Red Bull were the last non-Mercedes team to win a championship, and they will hope capturing the 2022 drivers' title is the start of a new run of success, after years of being perpetual runners up. The new car was ominously quick and reliable in testing. Their engine now says Red Bull on it, but it's still a Honda.

They retain their 2021 lineup of the reigning world champion*, the amphibious Max Emilian Verstappen (surely not his actual name, Wikipedia) and Sergio "Checo" Pérez who didn't do quite enough to help Red Bull to the constructors' title, but did his job as a tailgunner when it counted.

Ferrari

Scuderia Ferrari

The oldest team in F1 have finally ditched tobacco money, a mere 16 years after it was banned. with a curvy new car, they have been assessed to be the early title favourites based on testing performance and general smugness levels.

Their 2021 lineup of twin Charloses has been kept, and why not, when they both performed admirably to secure the team third place last season? Tensions could flare if both Charles Leclerc and Carlos Sainz are in contention for the title, with no clear team leader and extremely Italian management.

McLaren-Mercedes

McLaren F1 Team

The first team on this list with a customer engine, McLaren looked confident in testing, with a very stable car. Unfortunately it was too quick to slow down without the brakes failing, a problem which may or may not have been solved in time for the season opener. This might disappoint new sponsor Google.

Professional twitch streamer Lando Norris and professional Australian with an Italian surname Daniel Ricciardo are carried over from 2021, a season in which McLaren acheived podiums and their first win since 2012.

Alpine-Renault

BWT Alpine F1 Team

The only team with Renault power (because they are actually Renault). Taking the pink sponsor away from Aston Martin should make them stand out a bit more if they remain in a competitive midfield.

Elder statesman Fernando Alonso seems happy enough at the team who took him to back to back world titles in 2005 and 2006 and will get the best out of the machinery he's given. It says here team mate Esteban Ocon won a race in 2021, but that doesn't seem very plausible.

AlphaTauri-Red Bull

Scuderia AlphaTauri

Red Bull's somehow legal b-team also don't have Honda engines. At this point I realise that it was a mistake to point out which teams have kept the same drivers as last season, because it's most of them. Their car is likely to be somewhere towards the front of the midfield.

Pierre Gasly bounced back from being demoted from the senior team with a win in 2020 and was often the 'best of the rest' in 2021. Yuki Tsunoda had a rough rookie season, but found unusual compassion from Red Bull management who helped him to realise that he should probably excercise if he wants to be a professional athlete.

Aston Martin-Mercedes

Aston Martin Aramco Cognizant Formula One Team

Lawrence Stroll bought a team for his son to drive in. Fortunately he's not currently involved in any war-related financial sanctions, so he still has a team. Their trackside boss is actually called Mike Krack.

With his face turn completed after years of villainy and fraud at Red Bull and Ferrari, environmentalist, feminist, LGBT ally and pacifist Sebastian Vettel must come to terms with being sponsored by Saudi Aramco. Lance Stroll knows he isn't the best, but he tries harder than most failsons would, which I guess is commendable?

Vettel caught covid so Poochie is racing instead of him in the first race.

Williams-Mercedes

Williams Racing

New Williams-free Willams managed not to finish dead last in 2021 and not just because there were two teams who were shitter. With a fresh start and venture capitalists to appease, they'll be hoping to make further progress in 2022.

Mediocre but harmless pay driver Nicolas Latifi is joined by Thai (Anglo-Thai if you're Sky coverage) driver Alex Albon, newly free from the miserable clutches of the Red Bull system, back after a year away from F1.

Alfa Romeo-Ferrari

Alfa Romeo F1 Team ORLEN (powered by Sauber)

Their car looks pretty, but probably isn't going to cause any shocks. But finally a team with an all-new lineup for 2022!

Out goes has-been Finn Kimi Raikkonen, in comes has-been Finn Valtteri Bottas. And a first for F1, Guanyu Zhou (or Zhou Guanyu if you're trying to show off) is China's first F1 driver and the season's only rookie.

Haas-Ferrari

Uralkali Haas F1 Team

Haas wrote off the entire 2021 season in order to put maximum effort into their 2022 effort, but then lost their main sponsor and lovely pay driver to some mild crippling international sanctions for being best friends with one 'Vladimir Putin'. Some journos think they might actually have a quick car, but even if it is they won't be able to keep up in the development race.

Mick Schumacher continues to be the son of Michael Schumacher, and didn't embarrass himself in a terrible car and against a dogshit team mate last year. Kevin "K-Mag" Magnussen has been drafted back from definitely not being bitter about being dropped out of F1 to replace a delusional sex pest who literally cannot pay his way into F1 anymore.

:frogsiren:Your opinions on air fryers, cast iron cookware and possibly F1 will be judged:frogsiren:

A discord channel exists here if you want to talk to other people with brain problems. That link will expire at some point.

Fantasy F1 also exists
2022 fantasy leagues:
https://fantasy.formula1.com/
Discord league: b0d856b112
Forum league: ee47d5262a

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

DevCore posted:

In b4 page 2

Edit: Tsaedje, can you add a link to the Fantasy league in the OP

I can if you provide a link

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Aston Martin's drivers for Bahrain have 3 podiums between them

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Formula 2 and Formula 3 are supporting F1 at 13 races this season, including Bahrain, so I figure we can talk about them in here as well if the season is interesting enough.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Aphex- posted:

Mike Krack

Mike Krack

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

ArmZ posted:

in this new f1 youtube there's a cool shot of the alpha tauri where you can really see the flow viz lines. as a non-engineer type it's fun to learn about these things even at a basic level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhuO6-hzXZk&t=649s

FASH
MEE
FUN

Yikes AlphaTauri

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Cimber posted:

Can we talk about the horny nun movie in this thread?

Also, I want the first to be able to say

shut up crofty!

I doubt anyone will be able to stop horny nun movie chat, should it arise

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIdqGvVfGE4

Well Gasly's car is good for something

Not as good as Buemi's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMZJ3ZaEcIQ

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

MustardFacial posted:

When do they do the Show-and-tell? Is it televised at all?

https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/decision-document/2022%20Bahrain%20Grand%20Prix%20-%20Automobile%20Display%20Procedure.pdf

1330 to 1430 local time tomorrow
1030 to 1130 UTC before FP1 at 1200UTC

Tsaedje fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 18, 2022

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Yuki is also shorter than me, for which he should be commended

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Cimber posted:

Semi serious question. Since he is on the shorter and lighter side of things, does that affect the weight and balance of the car and possibly turning ability?

Do they add weight to the car to account for this?

it used to be very beneficial to be a smaller driver for weight distribution, because a) your centre of mass is lower and b) you could put more ballast where you needed it to make minimum weight. A few seasons back they changed the rules because it was kinda unfair on taller drivers, so now the car and driver+seat have their own separate minimum weights and the ballast placement is much stricter.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

learnincurve posted:

coverage starts in 20 min

Yeah but it would be insane to tune in half an hour early to sky coverage for a practice session

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Theophany posted:

Not if you're bored as gently caress at work :lewis:

Lol just lol if you didn't book off the first day of the FIA Formula 1 season

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Mokotow posted:

Jesus the whole side-pod just came off the Alpine, the gently caress is it made off, croissants?

It did look flaky

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Bigger lol at Enzo Trulli and Ayrton Simmons

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Change the thread tag back to 'cars' until we have actual evidence of racing imho

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Mike Krack is 50 today

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Solkanar512 posted:

Huh, so the Haas gamble might have actually paid off? Crazy.

The season is 22 races at least, they will never keep up

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

he looks a bit like richard bacon, also kind of a funny name

He's more into coke than krack

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKr4dhxIwZ0

10 years

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Bottas never once looked better than Hamilton in practice sessions, only for Hamilton to find a chunk of time in quali, of course

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Someone's getting a bonus from Toto for working out a fix in the nick of time

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

serious gaylord posted:

All of this is extremely funny.

Also the Abu Dhabi report is imminent.

unashamedly burying it just before quali

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Dan's barely had any running and had covid last week, I'm going to give him a pass on this one in a car with issues, especially when you consider how tight the cutoffs for quali were.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Max is in a position where he might win so it's still probably bad.

He has to try to overtake a quicker car without taking himself out though

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Never thought I'd be happy with a Ferrari 1-2, but here we are. The Monaco-Italy anthem combo has to be the jauntiest combination going.

Mercedes are going to be satisfied that they're not as far off the pace in race trim and they're back in contention when they can sort out their known issues. Putting 27 points on Red Bull and a smaller deficit than expected to Ferrari could be big later on in the season.

McLaren seem to have got the worst track and conditions for their issues I think, and their tyre choices only made it worse. Heads are going to roll if they're no closer to fixing the issues after Saudi and Australia.

Everyone seemed to get caught out by the new tyres and the track temperature being higher than expected, and I think Pirelli's decision to go with the hardest possible set of compounds is a mistake they may not make again.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Thanks Ants posted:

At least in Dan's case, he mentioned in the interview after the race that they got to use all three compounds and do a full race distance, so I think they knew early on they weren't fighting for points and treated the whole event as a test. I'm not sure they can do a huge amount before Saudi or even Australia but hopefully they at least know what the problems are.

Yeah that's why I said after Saudi and Australia, there's a minute chance if they've managed to diagnose exactly what the issue is, that they could rush out parts for those races, but there's no guarantee their first attempts will work. Same for Mercedes. The long season is the best thing in their favour right now.

Gasly will obviously be down a PU already, hard to know if Red Bull's issues triggered safety cutoffs and protected their engines. Looks like there's going to be a lot of engine penalties in the final stretch at this rate, especially if the E10 fuel is to blame for Red Bull and is one of the things holding back the Mercedes powered teams.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Diet Crack posted:

I don't see this. They lucked out with the safety car and whatnot this race, else it would've been a pretty poo poo outing for them. The hard tyre choice granted was weird, but I don't think that Merc has the pace to keep up with the RB/Scud in a straight line. The engine changes to the eco fuel may have hosed them. The car was also still porpoising like crazy with full fuel load.

They've lucked into better damage limitation than expected until they can fix some of the other issues is what I was saying.

They weren't as much off the pace in race trim as they are on low fuel single lap runs, but still over half a second off the pace. But if they can get a handle on porpoising, that could be worth more than half a second from what some of the other teams have said, which brings them back into being competitive.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

ArmZ posted:

this is just like when the usa missed qualifying

It's actually much more embarrassing

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
The oddest thing for me is putting it on a Saturday, does that mean they're planning to qualify earlier on the same day, or are they going to have basically 1 practice session before friday quali on a brand new track? Either choice is bizarro

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Diorama posted:

I guess it's to avoid losing half the global audience figures to people being at work

It'll be low for Europe anyway with a 3/4am start

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
The way they have it in Melbourne there, yes it's 4 zones but really it's two pairs of zones, which probably add up to less track length than China or Austin or Abu Dhabi's two zones. I will not be spending any time verifying this assertion.

To be honest as long as DRS isn't a guaranteed pass every single time I don't really mind. It definitely can go that way, and that's a risk at new or revamped tracks, but you can always reduce it for future events if it goes that badly wrong.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
And then he crashed behind the safety car during an itv ad break, the only time a mid race ad break was good

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
They were always valueless and useless

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Stroll says his crash with Latifi was 'awkward', but was it 'cringe'?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Albon was already getting a 3 place drop anyway

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

busalover posted:

What happened with Alonso? When I was watching he was at 6th or 7th place, made an early pit stop and then ~fart~.

e: woah motogp snipe

He hosed his tyres, huge graining on the front tyre. Everyone is getting their heads around how these new wheels/tyres work and Alpine got it very wrong

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Double posted

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
With Max there was also his reaction to being called out for using an ableist slur when he was annoyed that another driver didn't do what he wanted. I can't remember if he even bothered with a half arsed 'I'm sorry if anyone was offended'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Charles Leclerc posted:

yes but I made my pasta suace with ketchup!!!! It requires the finest pasta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Wnnf6MZL-w&t=60s