Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
RIP Vettel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xAHhfhHR8A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

ethanol posted:

Why’s the new timing graphic unreadable
Because F1 actively hates its fans, even beyond the level of contempt most sports leagues have for their fans.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've just discovered Villeneuve has five kids from three wives. At least one of them should turn out WDC standard. Perhaps he could ask Verstappen Snr for the correct parenting method.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Why is that man but married? He's got some catching up to do with Jacques...

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I feel dirty for rooting for a Ferrari front row lockout.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

If the new aerodynamic rules really have made a big improvement, there's going to be so much more racing this year and Verstappen will end up crashing in to more people. This will be a good outcome.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

boxcarhobo posted:

he’s got big Tory energy
He spent too long in Claire's office, gazing lovingly at her witch Thatcher portrait.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/adamcooperF1/status/1505538390355292163
https://twitter.com/adamcooperF1/status/1505539492576473095

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

speng31b posted:

I'm confused on the first one. I assume the penalty at the end has to be harsh enough to justify that absolutely noone will voluntarily give a place back
In recent years they tried to avoid handing out penalties (there's a paradox that fans both hate penalties for 'interfering with the race' and hate drivers not following the rules) so where it was fairly likely that the would be a penalty, the race control politely suggested they ought to give back the place. This is just going back to before that, and drivers/teams will need to decide if the stewards will look unfavourably on what happened. Whatever the penalty is, it's going to be worse than giving back the place and trying again.

Expect Max to continue to drive like a arsehole and The-One-For-Left-His-Wife-And-New-Baby to whinge that the drinks company are being unfairly targetted.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Tears of Max.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Only three weeks until they go to a proper grand prix circuit.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

The McLaren wheel cover colours makes it look like they're running space saving spares...

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

that safety car looks very nice in red
It's a secret message that Ferrari International Assistance is back in town.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

"If it becomes undrivable, you know the situation"

Rear end a Ferrari?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Red Warrior posted:

How is there still such a huge gap in the field back to the unlapped cars?
With so few laps left, they just let them far enough ahead to resume racing rather than waiting for them to get to the back of the queue.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

ethanol posted:

Redbull zero points class

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Horner left his pregnant wife for a spice girl.
It was shortly after the baby was born, not before.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

italian quid posted:

Fuel injection wouldn't cause Perez's rear axle to lock like that.

My guess would be hydraulics, which could affect both power steering and lock the gearbox.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Shes Not Impressed posted:

20 minutes away and I won't be able to afford it.
Why would you want to go? It'll be another crap flat parking lot monstrosity.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Seb isn't sick at all. With his new found morality, he's simply refusing to race in countries with poor human rights and a lack of democracy, such as Bahrain or Saudi Arabia. Expect him to also skip Miami and Silverstone.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

harperdc posted:

but he was at the test in Bahrain? and you'd think he would want to be more public about this if it was a stance? I don't see that idea being on the mark, honestly..
He's only newly awoken to the injustices of the world. He's currently in dispute with the team and FOM over skipping races, hence the agreed covid cover story. You'll know I'm right when in the run-up to Silverstone he says "I aint going to Brexitland Bitches. Boris the Toff can suck my finger."

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Norris >> Sir Fraud

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Dante posted:

jesus christ why are those barriers just concrete instead of tires or something
I believe they're using these
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAFER_barrier

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Cimber posted:

Did they lift Mick out of the car in his seat or did he get out on his own power?
I think in that situation they almost certainly lifted him out even if he felt he could climb out.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Kloaked00 posted:

Blood money and bribes
F1 avoids bribery scandals by just making it so bribes aren't needed. While FIFA, IOC et al claim to award their respective events to the countries that best deserve it, F1 just runs on an openly 'highest bidder' system where the people deciding also get to play themselves the profit.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Dante posted:

They're showing some close-ups of it and it doesn't really look like that barrier, but just a straight block. It doesn't appear to be two walls with some crumpling stuff between it to absorb the impact. I hope it's some fancy tech though, because it looks murderous.

edit: Schumacher is OK physically, news from the Haas team.
Having now seen the replay, I agree.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Solkanar512 posted:

No injuries??? Holy poo poo.
The safety cell held up so the main issue is probably the g-forces trying to rearrange his internals.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Who's going to be the arsehole who pushes Mick out of the top ten?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Rinkles posted:

How different are the engines compared to last year?
https://twitter.com/adamcooperF1/status/1489659218802139138

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Lewis is going to win then in a couple of years time it'll come to light that Mercedes made Russell crash on purpose to bring out the safety car.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

acidx posted:

Looked like Latifi got on the throttle too soon and lost the rear end.
I think the problem was his reaction, where the excessive counter-steer drove himself straight in to the wall.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Supporting Ferrari is passable this year simply because they the only thing to stop RedBull. Just make sure to talk loudly and frequently that you're not a real Ferrari fan, just supporting the less of two evils.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I'm not a bandwagoner. I've been consistent not-tifosi since 1991. The days of Il Leone was the last time Ferrari were acceptable. Also their road cars are ugly. With the exception of the F40 , they forgot how to make sexy cars some time in the 70's.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

LOL

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Nothing of value was lost.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Halo14 posted:

“Don’t worry about max, not relevant (for our car)”
Something broke on the Verstappen Only Special Mode.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Aphex- posted:

So why is it a rule that cars have to change tyres at least once? If it's physically possible to go the whole race on one set why not let that happen?

I know why they do change, but why is it mandatory?
Before we had Pirelli we had Bridgestone, who considered it a matter of pride to makes tyres that lasted forever, with no variation in performance. This also happened to be an era of when F1 cars were bad for racing. The two compound rule was a way of forcing pitstops and different strategies.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Apr 12, 2022

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

njsykora posted:

It was actually 7 dry compounds at its peak, that hilarious period where even the softs were lasting too long so Pirelli introduced 4 different types of soft. Also an ultra hard that I don't think was ever used just so they could say they weren't just focusing on making softer tires.

They still have six dry compounds from which they select the three for use at a Grand Prix. However the colour coding is always red/yellow/grey at a given weekend.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

It's not as glorious as the 'racing' in BTCC, but have some UK TCR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNZZab8rVYs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I have a black one of those that I use at work. In fact, I'm using it right now. But I must have been to rough with it as the McLaren branding has written off...