Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

harperdc posted:

Yuki isn't a bad driver, but he's been promoted very quickly to F1. I said it last year, if this was the 1990s, Yuki would be the kind of driver made to test cars five days a week around Europe all season, or go to IndyCar for the year to get racing experience. He just needs more experience, and it's difficult to justify that while also taking an F1 seat. But it's more for F1 teams to stop loving promoting 20 year olds into F2 and then F1.
on the other hand there's literally a 20 year old who was the runner-up in british f4 in 2017, won the french eurocup in 2019, won f3 in 2020, won f2 in 2021 and doesn't have a f1 seat in 2022. Meanwhile Kevin Magnussen just signed a multi-year deal. There's a lot of talented 20-year olds, but pay drivers and washed-up champs are hogging a bunch of seats. And also KM for some inexplicable reason. If anything more young talent should be promoted and given a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Red Warrior posted:

I wanted the order shaken up this year just not like this...

McLaren sigh

*monkey paw curls one finger*

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

lmao the time difference between riccardo and norris

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Red Warrior posted:

Oh no possible hydraulic issue for big Kev

how would you possibly be careful with your servo steering while you're driving a race car heh

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

boxcarhobo posted:

the merc power platform seems to be based on the 1970 200D

is this a GP2 engine?

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

jesus christ why are those barriers just concrete instead of tires or something

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

People don't really like having tire barriers next to the track in fast sections because bad things can happen if you clip them.

They're showing some close-ups of it and it doesn't really look like that barrier, but just a straight block. It doesn't appear to be two walls with some crumpling stuff between it to absorb the impact. I hope it's some fancy tech though, because it looks murderous.

edit: Schumacher is OK physically, news from the Haas team.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Theophany posted:

pro tip: when it's a really serious accident, Sky F1 don't fill the time hand wringing over Lewis' poo poo rear end quali lap, they get Martin Brundle on to talk about the many times he nearly died.

On viaplay someone is interviewing Mika who immediately brought up Michael Schumacher's condition which was kinda hilariously insensitive

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Commentator on the viaplay channel confirmed that the blocks at the impact site are just individual 4 ton concrete block that are bolted to each other (and not the ground). Seems wild, I mean I guess it's good that they can move slightly to dissipate impact, but it's literally a heavy concrete wall.

edit: Confirmed that Schumacher has no physical injuries.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Pablo Bluth posted:

Who's going to be the arsehole who pushes Mick out of the top ten?

I mean that car isn't going to get repaired in time even if Mick somehow got cleared.

Also lmao both McLarens out

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Russel is literally the only mercedes engine in Q3 :psyduck:

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

This season has four really competitive cars/drivers at the top and a really tight mid-field. Seems to be pretty promising in terms of racing entertainment.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Jesus christ Ocon almost had exactly the same accident as Schumacher

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

F1's terrible race direction has apparently been shuffled down to F2, poor Hauger and whatever the gently caress happened there. The race director instructed Prema to enter the pit lane under the Safety car, then decided the pit lane was closed and penalized him ten seconds. He went from first to last place.

Dante fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 26, 2022

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Considering Russel is the only mercedes engine starting in the first ten places I wonder what the chances are that every single mercedes supplied team has crippling aero issues, and that there's no correlation with the power unit being the common denominator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Ricciardo needs to get replaced by Gasly at McLaren, and then actually talented australian driver Piastri can drive for alpha tauri like god intended