Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Tunic is a top-down isometric Zelda-esque adventure game with a dash of Dark Souls difficulty and a heap of La Mulana/Fez what is going on here.

Much like this terrible OP, the less you know going in the better, as a large part of the fun so far is discovering how things work and trying to interpret what the game informs you of. That said if someone wants to make a better OP then go nuts and I'll paste it in.

It's on PC and Xbox and is available on Xbox Gamepass for those of us with crab claw discount madness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Here is a mild early spoiler: Before you go to West Gardens you should have the shield. You can get there without it (somehow) but I wouldn't.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Someone on Reddit has made it there without even picking up the Stick somehow lol but I don't think that's an intended route

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
People were talking about the shortcuts and how on a replay you could save a bunch of time, but from my experience all the critical route shortcuts had a lever to open it so while you could go the back way, you'd probably run into a closed door.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I'm pretty well into solving the language of the game, but pretty time consuming to translate. If anyone wants a little bit of hint:
It IS a translation of English, but it is not something as simple as a direct letter to glyph transposition.

A little bit further spoiler (still pretty vague): Find out which glyphs correspond to "a" and "the", which will help a bit with the structure of the text. Figure out what the symbol in parenthesis in the upper left corner of page 11 might mean. Find out where else it's used.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

For anyone struggling with combat, there is one mechanic that as far as I know is not revealed in the manual and helped me out with some of the tougher fights: you can parry by double-tapping the block button. It's very much a Dark Souls parry though -- it takes a second to wind up, you don't want to start it right at the moment of impact, instead you usually want to hit it right when an enemy goes into their attack animation. This will stun enemies in melee and let you get some free hits in, but I've found it even more useful against ranged enemies because it deflects the shot back towards them and often does a lot of damage.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I've been aware of that move for ages by accidentally button mashing it, but I've yet to actually successfully pull it off like you described. After getting punched in the face a dozen times as I kept using it wrong, I just kinda accepted that there's no way I'll ever land it.

Also for for what seems to be a secret technique used to get a vanity trophy(?) in the East Forest, that involves the grapple, I immediately found a nearby place to use it again but there doesn't seem to be any reason to grapple there, as all 3 exits to the room lead to the wrong sides of invisible walls. The technique+grapple is so stupidly specific that there must be a reason to be in that room, but... shrug. The technique itself is OP as gently caress tho, assuming you used some sort of key macro or inhuman timing to be able to land it on demand.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Wait, what's the technique you're referring to? And the parry is tricky because if you do it and your timing is just a little bit off, you'll block the attack like normal -- what you're looking for is a flash and an enemy stun though. Also as I'm typing this I'm realizing that I've had an ability equipped for a while that modifies my shield in some way (the one that puts the gem in the middle of it) so maybe that's boosting my parrying effect or making the timing easier or something lol? No clue

edit: gave in and looked it up and it indeed does make the timing easier. No clue where I got it though

goferchan fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 19, 2022

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh so THAT'S what the gem does, thanks. The technique I'm talking about is using the magic wand with pew pew spam to fire freezing bolts for no additional mana cost. If you got the knack down for it you could probably cheese almost every fight.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Finished this. I'm hesitant to describe the later parts of the game because I think it's important people experience at least the initial late-game surprises blind.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I wish I'd taken a clip of the lighting effect when the door from the dark tomb to the path to west garden opened

Game's real dang pretty :3:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

ErrEff posted:

Finished this. I'm hesitant to describe the later parts of the game because I think it's important people experience at least the initial late-game surprises blind.
Same. I think it's a great gamepass game because I want to rave about it but I also don't want to spoil anything at all, so it's kinda hard to sell people on it if they're hesitant

Some of the later puzzles were my favorite video game puzzles in many years

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Early on (past ringing 2nd bell) and enjoying it so far but it's also weirdly hard? Life was dangerous until I got the shield but then that first boss took me a bunch of tries and I went north only to die in 1 hit from something and then pop back to my last checkpoint which was very far away. Shut the game off then since I wasn't interested in that run back. More punishing than Elden Ring imo.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Oh cool, spent over 20 hours in the last few days on this and it's easily one of the best games I've ever played. It is laser targeted at my interests but still.

The puzzle to open the mountain door is just superb.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

After ringing the Eastern bell I started wandering a bit and ended up getting utterly pummeled by critters ([spoiler]in the Quarry). I was thinking the combat was just too much for me, until I realized I had gotten waaay ahead of myself. The manual does a good job of pointing you where to go next, but the game does, probably due to its souls-like influences, allow you to go places that are maybe unwise early on (unless perhaps you are amazingly good at combat, which I am certainly not). Also if you stray off the hinted paths you can easily miss manual pages that help explain game concepts (I figured out how to upgrade my stats somewhat accidentally before actually finding the manual page for it).

Loving the game. It's enjoyable, full of puzzles, the combat is challenging for me, but the game keeps giving me tools to help.

I like the mechanic where you get bonus refills of items you use a lot (I leaned on bombs a bunch at one point and am +5 on them now...)

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Beat the final boss. Probably took 20-30 attempts, am still tilted about the camera controls there. Ended up using that cheese technique I talked about a few posts up, because gently caress that wildly gyrating camera.

Game is implying that I should go back and continue hunting for stuff, but that feels bad since most of the map is sealed off, is there any way to continue platforming and getting money, or do I just need to suck it up and go NG+? What items do I lose when starting NG+?

edit: Oh I still have no goddamn idea what half my inventory items and slot-in cards do. I love the mystery of uncovering stuff but having a super-rare item that you eat for no visible effect is no bueno.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 20, 2022

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Quinton posted:

After ringing the Eastern bell I started wandering a bit and ended up getting utterly pummeled by critters (in the Quarry)I was thinking the combat was just too much for me, until I realized I had gotten waaay ahead of myself. The manual does a good job of pointing you where to go next, but the game does, probably due to its souls-like influences, allow you to go places that are maybe unwise early on (unless perhaps you are amazingly good at combat, which I am certainly not). Also if you stray off the hinted paths you can easily miss manual pages that help explain game concepts (I figured out how to upgrade my stats somewhat accidentally before actually finding the manual page for it).

Yeah one cool thing though is that you can definitely be rewarded for doing things in an unusual order. Like the branch you went to is definitely the hardest of the three available, but if I were to replay the game I'd dip in there first and beeline for the gun, because it completely obliterates any combat encounter at that point in the game

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

Serephina posted:

Game is implying that I should go back and continue hunting for stuff, but that feels bad since most of the map is sealed off, is there any way to continue platforming and getting money, or do I just need to suck it up and go NG+? What items do I lose when starting NG+?

Here's a hint:
You look like you could use a nap after all that work.

Here's the answer outright:
You can sleep in the bed in the old house. When it's daytime you can explore everywhere like before, and when it's night the moonlight bridges are active and the ghosts are out.

Serephina posted:

edit: Oh I still have no goddamn idea what half my inventory items and slot-in cards do. I love the mystery of uncovering stuff but having a super-rare item that you eat for no visible effect is no bueno.

Food spoilers:
The pepper increases your attack for a bit, and the vine increases your stamina regen for a bit. The manual page that covers items mentions this in English.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

wow the boss of Eastern Vault :stwoon:

i love the art & sound design in this game so much

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
I am really enjoying this game! The puzzles, the difficulty and progression is incredibly well balanced, at least for my broken brain. It's a perfect blend of Zelda and Fez.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Queer Salutations posted:

Oh cool, spent over 20 hours in the last few days on this and it's easily one of the best games I've ever played. It is laser targeted at my interests but still.

It was a real eye opener when I realized what I had to do to solve it, except for that one part, where I got lucky I read a mild spoiler elsewhere, or I might have been stuck for a while.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Queer Salutations posted:

Yeah this is maybe my favorite video game puzzle I've ever encountered lol. It's magical.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

ymgve posted:

It was a real eye opener when I realized what I had to do to solve it, except for that one part, where I got lucky I read a mild spoiler elsewhere, or I might have been stuck for a while.

I was just about to put the game down for the day (for the like 3rd time yesterday...) when it hit me like a bolt of goddamn lightning and then I spent god knows how long working it out.

glad to hear everyone else seems to love that puzzle too because god drat.

who would have thought my heart would be pounding from putting in a like 50 direction long contra code lmfao

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

bells ringed

what do next

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

bells ringed

what do next

Go north to the sealed temple, its got the big gold doors.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Hwurmp posted:

bells ringed

what do next

Real Tunic starts here. There's a ladder off to the side in the big temple you unlocked by ringing the bells, head up there to unlock several new paths. You've got 3 different big areas you can tackle in any order -- based on enemy difficulty, the one to the east is probably the easiest to do first, but I had success bouncing between all 3 to acquire upgrades. Pay close attention to manual page 24 which if I recall correctly is in plain sight as you're exiting the temple, the mechanic it shows you is extremely important.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'd been back to the temple doors, but not close enough for the button prompt :saddowns: Thanks

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Beat the game, true ending. Major spoilers for multiple parts of the game follow, don't read unless similar: I'm kind of a completionist so I put off fighting the final boss until I'd done everything else I could think of. Turns out if you get the full manual you straight up don't get the fight, which is kinda lame. Ended up getting all the fairies and missing like 2 secret treasures. Never figured out a single word in the secret language besides associating symbols for the cardinal puzzle. I only needed to look up the solution to one fairy puzzle (the one with the water reflections) because even though I knew what to do for some reason my brain couldn't parse it correctly. Completing the mountain door puzzle was incredibly fun and the entire time I was nervous I had missed an input somewhere. Overall I think the game is very good, but it does sort of lose its luster in the back half, as it introduces this whole dark realm and regaining your stats but it's just for like maybe 4 or 5 enemies and the final boss... Plus the way dark phazon is everywhere makes it really obvious how to progress, besides the sneaky teleporter back to the first forest. Generally the early bits are by far the strongest, when you're just stumbling around blindly and desperate for manual pages but by the end the game does reveal its limited scope in a sort of disappointing way. Still very good though!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i really do not like when games don't return your consumables if you cark it :mad:

as if i didn't have a hard enough time overcoming giant robotic crab syndrome

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 20, 2022

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Ciaphas posted:

i really do not like when games don't return your consumables if you cark it :mad:

as if i didn't have a hard enough time overcoming giant robotic crab syndrome

If you use them enough eventually you get some free respawning stock. It's kinda weird that it works like that, honestly.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

that's good to know but i'm stuck now damnit

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think the respawning stock is for overuse of the three bomb types only, else I'd have about a kabillion free blue berries by now.

Kinda sad that the Zelda part of the game ended at about 10 hours with the bad ending, and now I'm on the Fez/La Mulana part of squinting at things trying to find secrets as simply playing the game no longer yields content. I did buy the game due to the demo and was hoping for more Zelda. Sigh.

There is also no universe in which I will decypher the script, did it once for Fez when it was a simple find-and-replace and having to agonizingly translate everything by hand was not a good reward. I'll keep tinkering around and see if I can find any more fairies, but I suspect I'll have to shelf the game until a wiki is up with a translation. Also thanks for the tip about using the thingie Queer Salutations, but that also bugs me since I'm 100% sure it was not interactable earlier in the game.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

that's good to know but i'm stuck now damnit

so, like, I had trouble with that boss at first but there's literally no reason not to just...walk away and try later. go check out that golden tile right before the save point if you haven't yet. go explore more, you might be missing out on some tools or stats that could make that a lot more doable.

Serephina posted:

There is also no universe in which I will decypher the script, did it once for Fez when it was a simple find-and-replace and having to agonizingly translate everything by hand was not a good reward. I'll keep tinkering around and see if I can find any more fairies, but I suspect I'll have to shelf the game until a wiki is up with a translation. Also thanks for the tip about using the thingie Queer Salutations, but that also bugs me since I'm 100% sure it was not interactable earlier in the game.

good news! you can get the good ending without translating a single character of the manual, and in fact there's only 1 puzzle that asks you to do so and it's the very last one!

these spoilers are for people who aren't at the point where Serephina is right now, Serephina should read this!:

you don't actually need to get all the spirits! the hidden treasures are only for, like, postgame ARG type stuff and while I LIKED them, don't feel like you're missing out on anything by not doing them. Your good end is behind 100% manual completion, and you only need to get 10 faeries for that (and page 48 DOES track your progress). Once you're only missing 1 page, there's nothing left to do but walk the golden path.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Game owns so far. What do the wall tiles like these signify? They're clearly all different, and look mappy to me, but unless that poo poo gets spelled out clearly at some point might as well spoiler it cause I'm not figuring it out.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Game owns so far. What do the wall tiles like these signify? They're clearly all different, and look mappy to me, but unless that poo poo gets spelled out clearly at some point might as well spoiler it cause I'm not figuring it out.

Don't think your screenshot posted but if it's the line patterns I think they are, they're properly introduced late in the game. When they are, what they do is spelled out pretty clearly.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

You don't show what you're talking about

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

ah gently caress this stuff

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Managed the first three bosses easy enough, didn't need more than two attempts for any of them, but this Boss Scavenger is slaughtering me. And by me, I mean my hands. I think every joint and tendon I have in those is on fire.

Looks like I've more or less run the map out of upgrade items, too. I think I might have to actually learn this guy's timings. :negative:

More generally: I'm kind of annoyed that they didn't fully commit to the gimmick. I don't think the game actually needs any of the English text it has.

Retro Hippy
Feb 8, 2022

The Zelda part of this game is really good.

The Fez part of this game is probably good if you like Fez. I don't have the patience so I'm probably stopping now that I've gotten the first ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

More generally: I'm kind of annoyed that they didn't fully commit to the gimmick. I don't think the game actually needs any of the English text it has.
I think I disagree! It's interesting watching streamers puzzle stuff out here, because when they overfocus on translating the text really early on it kinda overwhelms them and causes them to be trying to solve way too many things at once. The bits of English really helped focus me on things in a certain order.