Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Managed the first three bosses easy enough, didn't need more than two attempts for any of them, but this Boss Scavenger is slaughtering me.

Use the grapple/whip and stay close. I actually found him to to be the easiest of the bosses between the first and the last of the game; his melee is unimpressive and he can't scamper away easily. Really, the grapple own his bones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Can someone nudge me in the right direction? So far I've rung the bells and one of the dungeons for a red key. Places I've gone after:

LOCATION -- Quarry

Ran through here a few times now, got all the way to what I think is the bottom/end of the area where there's a giant locked door with a bunch of mining equipment facing it. Traced the power line to the corner of the room but can't really find a way around to power it? I've gotten the radiation mask card now so I don't get weakened from the pink gas anymore.

LOCATION -- Mountain:

Giant door in the mountain? I moused over some of the discussion earlier in hopes of getting a hint but I think I got spoiled? Do I have all the tools I need right now to open it? I.E: Does it need gear or manual pages to know how to proceed?

LOCATION -- Graveyard:

Walked to the end where two baddies with guns guard a boarded up gate and a boarded up mausoleum. There's a dead save shrine nearby. Tried bombing the boards but nothing. The power source for the save shrine is on higher ground and it feels like I'm missing gear to get there (maybe something like a roc feather that lets me jump?)

edit: Just found out how to get to the atoll! Time to see what's in here.

yergacheffe fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 21, 2022

KNR
May 3, 2009
Finished the good ending, ended up having to look up a single thing for the endgame puzzle and turns out it was probably bugged on gamepass. It's hard to be sure as no one seems to know what makes the Page 9 secret happen. I did spend some time on the save menu before looking it up, and more after. Nothing I did worked.

Never got far with learning the language, beyond realizing it's phonetic and learning a handful of syllables. Don't think I could have gotten much further before the manual page showing the split into what I think are consonants/vowels, but by that point I was already close to the end.

Retro Hippy posted:

The Zelda part of this game is really good.

The Fez part of this game is probably good if you like Fez. I don't have the patience so I'm probably stopping now that I've gotten the first ending.

I think it's definitely the puzzle aspect this game is more notable for. But if you don't like them, this is a fairly safe choice as, unlike Environmental Station Alpha or La-Mulana, the two parts don't really mix that much. Unless I'm missing something big beyond the good ending, the postgame features no new Zelda-ing. I guess the weapon interaction hinted at for a single chest could sort of count if you really stretch. I did also find a useless second sword among other things, so a lot of postgame would probably come into play in a speedrun.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

yergacheffe posted:

Can someone nudge me in the right direction? So far I've rung the bells and one of the dungeons for a red key. Places I've gone after:

LOCATION -- Quarry
there are two main paths into the quarry, it sounds like maybe you have only used one of them?

quote:

LOCATION -- Mountain
there is a set of manual pages that very obviously hints at the big puzzle related to the mountain door, if you don't have them then it is not time to worry too much about it

quote:

LOCATION -- Graveyard
There is a manual page about this area, and it gives a big hint about your question; if you don't have that page don't worry about it, if you have that page and can't find any meaningful hint you may have to just progress more elsewhere

e:

KNR posted:

Finished the good ending, ended up having to look up a single thing for the endgame puzzle and turns out it was probably bugged on gamepass. It's hard to be sure as no one seems to know what makes the Page 9 secret happen. I did spend some time on the save menu before looking it up, and more after. Nothing I did worked.
Are you on PC specifically? 'Cause I heard about this, but also maybe that it was fixed, not completely sure

Martman fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 21, 2022

KNR
May 3, 2009

Martman posted:

Are you on PC specifically? 'Cause I heard about this, but also maybe that it was fixed, not completely sure

Yeah, PC gamepass. Still not working, though as I said it's hard to be certain when I don't know the exact steps that should work. I tried multiple things people said worked for them with no success before just looking it up.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

KNR posted:

Yeah, PC gamepass. Still not working, though as I said it's hard to be certain when I don't know the exact steps that should work. I tried multiple things people said worked for them with no success before just looking it up.
I wonder if that has something weird to do with the stupid PC gamepass app and its handling of save files or something.

For me it created the "bugged" extra file when I messed around in save settings, selected "copy" on my file, then canceled out of it, but I get the impression there are supposed to be many paths of fiddling around that should create it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Here's a good question: outside of possibly post-game puzzles which I haven't gotten to yet, is there any reason to go back to the stick? I tried it briefly and it and while it certainly swings faster, it felt like it wasn't being effected by attack upgrades, straight back to multiple-hits-in-order-to-stagger-a-slime type of thing.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I'm watching Jonathan Blow (creator of Braid and The Witness) work through some of the lategame puzzles in this and it's kind of fascinating. He's willing to "trust" certain things he's perceived as indications from the developer to the point that he can make some great leaps of logic, but also seems very stuck in certain assumptions at times. I mean obviously this kind of stuff will happen to everyone and puzzle solving while streaming is kind of wild, but I just find it really interesting seeing puzzle creators try each others' stuff.

KNR
May 3, 2009
While in the end the language exists in a weird space where it seems so prominent but wasn't needed for even the good ending or the 8 out of 12 golden objects I got (and I think I know everything needed for a 9th, but I'm extremely bad at audio puzzles), I actually remembered one point where my limited language knowledge was still useful. There's a red herring HOLY CROSS in the magic items section, but parsing it to "NOTE: holy cross ??? a ? item!" is a huge hint.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Queer Salutations posted:

Here's the answer outright:
You can sleep in the bed in the old house. When it's daytime you can explore everywhere like before, and when it's night the moonlight bridges are active and the ghosts are out.

I guess my save is hosed because I've beaten the Heir and still can't sleep in the bed. Guess I have to give up and NG+ it and pray it doesn't poo poo itself again.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Ardryn posted:

I guess my save is hosed because I've beaten the Heir and still can't sleep in the bed. Guess I have to give up and NG+ it and pray it doesn't poo poo itself again.

Did you get all the artifacts from the Grave of the Hero? I’ve seen someone claim that’s required.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

ymgve posted:

Did you get all the artifacts from the Grave of the Hero? I’ve seen someone claim that’s required.

I couldn't figure out where the potions were so I gave up, I looked at the door on the mountain and realized what it wanted and just looked up the solution because gently caress cutting and pasting that many pages. At least I got the true ending, that was nice even if the shift from Zelda to Oops-All-Puzzle wasn't entirely my cup of tea.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Binged the game this weekend and got the good ending. The final puzzle is one of the most elaborate and yet "fairest" video game puzzles I've seen in a very long time; I had the biggest loving grin on my face once I started realizing how cleverly the hints for it were hidden. The combat is just serviceable but when the exploration and puzzling is this good, I don't really mind.

There's only one thing I wish the manual had been more clear about for the endgame, which is that you only need to find half of the fairies to get page 55, not all of them. Other than that, everything you need to know is in the game and I didn't have to look anything up. Fantastic puzzle.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Well this was a pleasant surprise. I never knew "being an 8-year-old watching your friend's brother play Zelda, but also it's in Japanese and none of you know what the gently caress is going on" was an itch that needed scratching, but here we are.

That said, if it's possible to answer without spoilers, do I need to be figuring out the language as I go along? I can tell it's a cipher of some kind, but I've been assuming it's meant to be a bonus rather than something I should be transcribing and puzzling out.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Gato posted:

Well this was a pleasant surprise. I never knew "being an 8-year-old watching your friend's brother play Zelda, but also it's in Japanese and none of you know what the gently caress is going on" was an itch that needed scratching, but here we are.

That said, if it's possible to answer without spoilers, do I need to be figuring out the language as I go along? I can tell it's a cipher of some kind, but I've been assuming it's meant to be a bonus rather than something I should be transcribing and puzzling out.

It's only necessary for one puzzle, so unless you want to 100% the game you should be fine. You can get the good ending regardless.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Binged the game this weekend and got the good ending.

:same:

Even spent like 5 hours yesterday figuring out how to translate the language. I'm a huge sucker for linguistic puzzles like that. Once I got that manual page with 18/24 symbols I instantly knew it was phoneme based. From there everything slots into place so nicely. Which actually makes me wonder, has anyone played this game in a non-English language? Is the manual still in English or did the madmen really do this for every single supported language? I might fire it up in Spanish and check. e: looking at the steam page there's like 20 supported languages so I'm guessing the answer is no, that would be a monumental task.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I rang the two bells, then went to the Quarry and thought the game had suddenly turned into 100% bullshit.

Then I discovered that I had made pretty much the worst possible choice. Now I'm having a blast again!

E: I can't remember the last time a game managed to capture that feeling of wonder and adventure this well. Maybe Fez. Today while wandering around trying the hold A to kneel power on various things, I discovered that the yellow squares I hadn't previously found any way to interact with turned into teleports. Cool! I found my way to the Ruined Atoll, spent more time wandering around, discovered that kneeling by the big metal slabs also makes them sink into the ground and power things up. Neat! Nothing in the game outright said that, but in retrospect the manual had good clues that would've pointed me in the right direction if I wasn't dumb as hell.

But man what a great and fun adventure :allears:

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 21, 2022

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I rang the two bells, then went to the Quarry and thought the game had suddenly turned into 100% bullshit.

The Quarry really does not need to have snipers and max-health draining radiation and probably the toughest basic enemies of any of the three areas?

Any one of those would have been enough, lol.

Serephina posted:

Use the grapple/whip and stay close. I actually found him to to be the easiest of the bosses between the first and the last of the game; his melee is unimpressive and he can't scamper away easily. Really, the grapple own his bones.

Oh wild. This is the one boss I have not tried the grapple on. First because I wanted to try the gun, then because I thought the hourglass might help, and then mostly because I'd given up and was trying to see if any of the consumables I had been accumulating were worth a drat.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

The Quarry really does not need to have snipers and max-health draining radiation and probably the toughest basic enemies of any of the three areas?

Any one of those would have been enough, lol.

Oh wild. This is the one boss I have not tried the grapple on. First because I wanted to try the gun, then because I thought the hourglass might help, and then mostly because I'd given up and was trying to see if any of the consumables I had been accumulating were worth a drat.

if you visit the Quarry without first getting the grappling hook, you're going to have a Bad Time.

that said, once you're able to grapple hook the snipers, you can make some proper progress.

I still had like 1 hp at the end tho lmao

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Ojetor posted:

:same:

Even spent like 5 hours yesterday figuring out how to translate the language. I'm a huge sucker for linguistic puzzles like that. Once I got that manual page with 18/24 symbols I instantly knew it was phoneme based. From there everything slots into place so nicely. Which actually makes me wonder, has anyone played this game in a non-English language? Is the manual still in English or did the madmen really do this for every single supported language? I might fire it up in Spanish and check. e: looking at the steam page there's like 20 supported languages so I'm guessing the answer is no, that would be a monumental task.
No, the Trunic only works for English sadly. It would indeed be an insane undertaking to make it work for more, especially for a very tiny dev team. This is another reason why it's kind of a necessary compromise to have bits of already-translated text.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

egg tats posted:

if you visit the Quarry without first getting the grappling hook, you're going to have a Bad Time.

This is exactly what I did.

Can confirm: BAD TIME.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

This is exactly what I did.

Can confirm: BAD TIME.

thankfully I turned back quick when I first tried it.

getting a 100% setup to dunk the first sniper into the nowhere like as soon as I got back felt good as poo poo though

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

egg tats posted:

thankfully I turned back quick when I first tried it.

getting a 100% setup to dunk the first sniper into the nowhere like as soon as I got back felt good as poo poo though

I felt absolutely no remorse when I found out the grapple passes through walls even with enemies attached. The enemies also pass through walls, all the way down.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

usually when I try that they just stay stuck in the wall, shooting at me where I can't hit them

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Oh yeah, I don't think this counts as a spoiler since the game outright tells you about target lock about 10 seconds in, but here's something helpful for those of us with old person hands: you can also click the right stick to toggle target lock on/off instead of having to hold the left trigger all the time. The manual doesn't mention this anywhere as far as I can tell :psyduck:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Oh yeah, I don't think this counts as a spoiler since the game outright tells you about target lock about 10 seconds in, but here's something helpful for those of us with old person hands: you can also click the right stick to toggle target lock on/off instead of having to hold the left trigger all the time. The manual doesn't mention this anywhere as far as I can tell :psyduck:

why didn't i think to try this when i've been playing elden ring just recently :psypop:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Also you can use the right stick to swap lock targets around. Very useful for both grapple platforming and finding that one lowhp guy you lost track of.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Then I discovered that I had made pretty much the worst possible choice. Now I'm having a blast again!

Lucky! I went there after ringing the *first* bell and was thinking "okay combat is just impossible now"...

I should have followed the manual's hints more closely.

I'm now into the post-gathering-three-mcguffins part of the game and I have (because I am old and my dodge reflexes suck) turned on "no fail" mode twice (for the boss under the quarry and the arena under the cathedral). Otherwise the difficulty has been reasonable for me and the game is just wonderful in general.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i just got to the end of the dungeon after getting the 3 plot macguffins and oh my god do i seriously have to get through this boss without my stats, what the gently caress game even Fromsoft doesn't do this to me

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Nope! You might wanna go elsewhere meanwhile.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

there doesn't seem to be an elsewhere, i'm dead-ended everywhere i look on any of the areas available to me

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

I thought you had to beat that fight to get the item that allows you to teleport-dash in order to regain your stats.

I decided I was too crappy a gamer to win it, after a few dismal failures, and turned on "no failure" mode for it, which was lame, but then things got reasonable again after.

This reddit thread (and replies) maps out a strategy for the fight which seems plausible (or at least made more sense than my flailing about):
https://www.reddit.com/r/TunicGame/comments/tjool9/easy_cathedral_arena_clear/

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Ciaphas posted:

there doesn't seem to be an elsewhere, i'm dead-ended everywhere i look on any of the areas available to me

I didn't think it was THAT bad, I got it on my third try, mostly by abusing the fact that I have no HP anyways to swap my potions into MP potions and utilizing the power of GUN and a ton of bombs to get through.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea Ciaphas I think you're supposed to be at the Cathedral now, if you haven't finished that just go on head over. If you have, you should have a new movement tool and have been explicitly told what's next on the to-do list.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

that's where i'm at and the arena is going to give me a god damned stroke, hence the original post

maybe tomorrow i'll have the good sense to tell my stubborn rear end to gently caress off and turn on No-Fail

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh sorry I thought you where talking about the plot-heavy twist of a boss fight, which is very obviously "you lose now".

Which of the components of the current fight are hard? It all looked scary at first but most of them could be cheesed:
The fairies just need the wand and holding lock-on and you mow them down as they spawn/approach
The skeletons you just let spawn in while kiting then use the gun to one-shot them all
The sword boys you can just chuck explosives at if you're not fast enough at clearing as they spawn in
The froggies likewise can be pounced on as they spawn in. In in both this and mayybe the above they actually lose interest and return to their spawns if kited for long enough, so you can grapple them to 1:1.
The square mages look scary, but as long as you just whack once or twice then run they can never touch you
Which leaves the Garden twins, which don't have as much hp and are less nimble then before and I'd suggest being very aggro to kill the first before the second spawns in. Probably the only fight that seemed to need skill.

Hope that helps?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Yeah that section really tests your knowledge of what consumables are effective etc which is frustrating if you relied on just basic combat previously. There are a couple major weaknesses that weren't mentioned: one hit from a firebomb is enough to kill the mages, just spam a few when they start spawning in and you'll whittle their numbers down a lot. Regular firecracker bombs tear up the big robots, it's pretty easy to kill the first one that way before the second spawns in. The reward on the other side of that fight is awesome and feels great to get, so push through it! Good luck.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh yea bombs for the mages duh.

Really, the big takeaway from half the combat in this game is "use your goddamn consumables, no really"

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
Really enjoying this so far, only a little way in but trying to solve as much as I can on my own. Can somebody, in as non spoilery a way as possible, tell me what to be aware of with the PC gamepass bug I'm hearing about? Don't want to be stuck for ages on something and later learn it's a glitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

HampHamp posted:

Really enjoying this so far, only a little way in but trying to solve as much as I can on my own. Can somebody, in as non spoilery a way as possible, tell me what to be aware of with the PC gamepass bug I'm hearing about? Don't want to be stuck for ages on something and later learn it's a glitch.

when you're traversing the golden path, one of the hints doesn't appear on gamepass.

once you start solving other parts of the golden path, you can ask someone to give you the answer for that bit.