Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

For what it's worth, I played through gamepass and did not encounter that issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Peewi posted:

For what it's worth, I played through gamepass and did not encounter that issue.

Oh that's good, I've heard some people suggest it's been patched.

But yeah, it's a hint for one part of a bigger puzzle, if you need help you can ask in here and someone will be able to help.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Yeah it worked for me too, playing on PC game pass here, but I've seen posts from people on the current patch saying it didn't work for them. I have a theory it depends on whether you install the game using the windows store app wrapper method or if you install it to a normal directory as an executable.

That said it's pretty late game. Just so you know it when you see it, vague hint is that it's a puzzle about the number 9

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
Thanks for the replies, will keep an eye out for it!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The Great Library was pretty drat cool, and I loved that after the boss fight there's no big fanfare or anything. Just you alone in the quiet on top of the spire, then climbing down with the wind quietly whistling in your ears.

This is a game where beating bosses doesn't feel like a triumph. It feels almost melancholy, like in Shadow of the Colossus. I have to stop them, but as I'm doing so, it feels like the world is losing something.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

ok this arena can take a goddamn loving hike, i'd rather cheat than try even once more

unless the combat gets harder than this later, in which case i'm fuckin done

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

ok this arena can take a goddamn loving hike, i'd rather cheat than try even once more

unless the combat gets harder than this later, in which case i'm fuckin done

No, that's the point it peaks. If you don't have consumables to abuse, or the money to buy some at the save point then just use one of the accessibility settings to get past it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
So after feeling burnt out after getting the bad ending, I slept on it and came back the next day and immediately got 16/20 fairies in a flurry of inspiration. Got an extra page of the book, took a good hard look at it and decided that I have no goddamn idea, I'll just go sleep on it again.

Here's hoping!

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

goferchan posted:

Yeah it worked for me too, playing on PC game pass here, but I've seen posts from people on the current patch saying it didn't work for them. I have a theory it depends on whether you install the game using the windows store app wrapper method or if you install it to a normal directory as an executable.

That said it's pretty late game. Just so you know it when you see it, vague hint is that it's a puzzle about the number 9

I had the problem on PC game pass and I used a normal directory install. I worked around it by launching the game in the Xbox Cloud Gaming, which shares your PC save data.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Queer Salutations posted:

No, that's the point it peaks. If you don't have consumables to abuse, or the money to buy some at the save point then just use one of the accessibility settings to get past it.

yeah it came down to either grind $ or turn on no-fail, and i feel i made the right choice

but after that, i was hooked and spent seven ish hours straight completing the game & getting the good ending

i didn't quite get it but that was really sweet :unsmith:

that said a couple pieces of the golden path gave me a real headache, aside from the initial headache of figuring out what the hell i was looking for - 9 before i realized it was bugged for gamepass (lol) and looked it up; and I had to look up 22 and I still can't distinctly see it in the manual. is it supposed to be some stereoscopy thing, or am i just unobservant as hell :pwn:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I started this game a few days ago and I've been playing a bit at a time. I've had a great time exploring until I can't find anywhere else to go, and then quitting. Then I load it back up, bump into a wall and it was a path and a whole new area opens up. I beat the boss of the first area, seemed ok. Then I got to the boss of the second area, and it was tough but I got it. Then I went to the forest area and encountered the boss there and thought "what the gently caress is this?" Then I ran away and closed the game. I don't know if I have the skills to finish this game but I am enjoying discovering everything.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Then I went to the forest area and encountered the boss there and thought "what the gently caress is this?" Then I ran away and closed the game. I don't know if I have the skills to finish this game but I am enjoying discovering everything.

The game gives you a save point and (usually) a fast travel point outside of each boss battle, to make it possible try repeatedly and/or to go explore more elsewhere, gain more stat upgrades, items, and player skill, and come back later. Worst case, there is "no fail" option in accessibility mode which means you take no damage. I ended up using that for two boss battles in the game that I found were just beyond my skill, but generally the rest of the content was all doable and enjoyable. I suggest not giving up on the game entirely, but rather exploring elsewhere first, and then if a fight remains too tough, use the accessibility options to move past it and enjoy the rest of the game.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

that said a couple pieces of the golden path gave me a real headache, aside from the initial headache of figuring out what the hell i was looking for - 9 before i realized it was bugged for gamepass (lol) and looked it up; and I had to look up 22 and I still can't distinctly see it in the manual. is it supposed to be some stereoscopy thing, or am i just unobservant as hell :pwn:

The one's on the right column have a gold stereoscopic effect and if you trace along it that's the path for 22. I agree that it's probably my least favourite of them, it didn't feel like I solved it, just that I was guessing.

I'm sad some people can't get the feeling of realization for page 9 because of that bug. Hopefully they can figure out the saves on game pass soon.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Quinton posted:

The game gives you a save point and (usually) a fast travel point outside of each boss battle, to make it possible try repeatedly and/or to go explore more elsewhere, gain more stat upgrades, items, and player skill, and come back later.

Yeah for what it's worth, at that stage of the game with the three different paths, none of the bosses give you anything when you beat them (aside from the key they're guarding, naturally) and they each have a continently located teleporter next to them. There's no reason to bang your head against any one of them, just head to the next branch, work your way through gathering upgrades, reach that boss and repeat. You'll definitely find them more manageable with all the stats and items you'll get from fully exploring all 3 areas.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the other two aren't bad at all but the scavenger boss still kicks my rear end lol

lightsaber thing going through the shield is some horseshit

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Mar 23, 2022

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

This Siege Engine fight can gently caress off and eat my rear end.

It's the first boss fight in the game that's been straight up unfun, and it's because the controls don't feel like they're up to the job.

I know what I should be doing. Stay behind the boss. Attack the weak point on his rear end. Great idea, except I can barely run as fast as the boss turns, and that's BEFORE the fox gets stuck on every piece of debris on the battlefield, which the boss ignores, of course. And the controls don't work reliably. Oh now we're suddenly not running anymore and ate a death laser because of it? COOL. Oh now I'm behind the boss and touching the weak spot, but my attacks don't hit it because targeting on the Y axis eats rear end? GREAT.

It's been so great until now, but this fight feels just loving BAD.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

you can hit its face too. really anything but the legs is good. and if you're having trouble catching up the fire wand actually does damage for once to boot and it'll helpfully provide little minions to pop for extra ammo when you run out

sometimes you just get unlucky and a boss pulls their one bullshit move over and over and over on you but that one's by far the easiest to just get stuck right up in their business and whack them until they fall over, and most of its attacks have trouble landing or damage it more than you at point-blank range

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 23, 2022

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

This Siege Engine fight can gently caress off and eat my rear end.

It's the first boss fight in the game that's been straight up unfun, and it's because the controls don't feel like they're up to the job.

I know what I should be doing. Stay behind the boss. Attack the weak point on his rear end. Great idea, except I can barely run as fast as the boss turns, and that's BEFORE the fox gets stuck on every piece of debris on the battlefield, which the boss ignores, of course. And the controls don't work reliably. Oh now we're suddenly not running anymore and ate a death laser because of it? COOL. Oh now I'm behind the boss and touching the weak spot, but my attacks don't hit it because targeting on the Y axis eats rear end? GREAT.

It's been so great until now, but this fight feels just loving BAD.

I think that there's a way to make your tactic work, but honestly I couldn't get back there for anything but attacks of opportunity. a few of it's attacks give you a way in - the machine gun is a big one! - but for the most part I just smacked his face a bunch when I could.

when you fight the siege engine you should have the orb to help you get in close AND the wand to help you melt the fairies it spawns if you DON'T then just bounce out until you at least have that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's one thing I don't like about this game, the movement and placement of the character seems weird sometimes. When I was fighting the Guardian thing, the second boss and it does the wind up and strike the ground thing it felt like it was punishing me for not perfectly engaging with the game mechanics even if it shouldn't be. When that attack lands and I'm off to the side and it should not have hit me, it seemed like the game was moving me back to a point where it would hit, and that felt cheap. I didn't use the dash because I saw it wouldn't hit me, but it moved me and I got hit anyway. I think a good portion of my deaths for that fight were due to me losing a bunch of health due to that happening.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the game really, really wants you to dash your way through boss battles but it's such a pain in the rear end

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The Garden Warrior was in the demo as a 'lol get rekt game over' boss and I think it still shows, I feel its probably the most demanding bossfight in that there's not a lot of ways to approach it, you just have to be good.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Serephina posted:

The Garden Warrior was in the demo as a 'lol get rekt game over' boss and I think it still shows, I feel its probably the most demanding bossfight in that there's not a lot of ways to approach it, you just have to be good.

I'd agree with this - at that point in the game you don't have many options. Scavenger was also tough for me but I had more than enough items to come up with creative ways to take him down.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

holy poo poo

(after collecting and returning the three color cubes) those metal doors have had their keys printed right on them this whole loving time

e: the holy cross god dammit

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 24, 2022

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

Serephina posted:

Stay back til he attacks, roll in and get a few hits then back off. Use the Ice Dagger and any bombs you have. You can pretty easily stay out of his reach within that arena. If you're having issues then yeah, I'd recommend just using the accessibility options for bosses. The publishers agree that it's totally fine.

https://twitter.com/FinjiCo/status/1505966976711245825

e: Something that may not be immediately clear, you can keep dodging when the stamina bar is exhausted, there's just no i-frames. You still scoot out of the way quicker.

Queer Salutations fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 24, 2022

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Hwurmp posted:

holy poo poo

(after collecting and returning the three color cubes) those metal doors have had their keys printed right on them this whole loving time

Yeah lol there's sort of a red herring in the magic items page of the manual where it says HOLY CROSS in english but if you translate the whole line it's like "The HOLY CROSS is not a magic item."

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
so the ONE problem I have with the manual is that this isn't in english by default:

If you aren't having fun with the combat please simply turn on the assist mode (and start dodging and shielding more!)

Garden knight: ya'll are using the ice dagger right? that's like, a LOT of it's health for free. IIRC I had 3 casts during that fight?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I had to look up a guide to figure out where to go just now because I saw something on the map that definitely looked like it would lead me to a new area but I couldn't get my fox guy to go anywhere in that spot. I looked up a guide and it specifically said to go to this spot obscured by the world, and I couldn't figure it out. Then I just randomly rolled and that apparently got me past whatever I was stuck on in the obscured part and was able to get through. I don't know if anyone else had trouble with this but it was the ladder on the bridge that takes you to the southern part of the map where the frog domain is

egg tats posted:

Garden knight: ya'll are using the ice dagger right? that's like, a LOT of it's health for free. IIRC I had 3 casts during that fight?

I just rolled around, dodged attacks, and then ran in to get a few hits in when I had a window. It wasn't so bad when I got myself to just be patient and not be so greedy.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Hwurmp posted:

holy poo poo

i know right lol

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Cojawfee posted:

I had to look up a guide to figure out where to go just now because I saw something on the map that definitely looked like it would lead me to a new area but I couldn't get my fox guy to go anywhere in that spot. I looked up a guide and it specifically said to go to this spot obscured by the world, and I couldn't figure it out. Then I just randomly rolled and that apparently got me past whatever I was stuck on in the obscured part and was able to get through. I don't know if anyone else had trouble with this but it was the ladder on the bridge that takes you to the southern part of the map where the frog domain is

That internet guide was probably telling you to go there too early. I went there after discovering fast travel to give an idea of how far into the plot I was. Your entry way is just something funny I found on the way back out, which I think is it's intended mode of discovery, either that or being really observant and seeing the ladder in the manual pages loool. A lot of the "how is anyone ever supposed to discover these hidden shortcut?!" things are... just that. You don't discover them until the game hits you over the head with it. That's the point.

So yea, don't read the guides as the game's puzzles aren't hard enough to warrant spoilering yourself about stuff.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Serephina posted:

That internet guide was probably telling you to go there too early. I went there after discovering fast travel to give an idea of how far into the plot I was. Your entry way is just something funny I found on the way back out, which I think is it's intended mode of discovery, either that or being really observant and seeing the ladder in the manual pages loool. A lot of the "how is anyone ever supposed to discover these hidden shortcut?!" things are... just that. You don't discover them until the game hits you over the head with it. That's the point.

So yea, don't read the guides as the game's puzzles aren't hard enough to warrant spoilering yourself about stuff.

Is that not the normal way to get in? I originally had been down there because I saw the ladder on the instruction manual and figured that was how I was supposed to get there. I poked around there for a bit but couldn't find any ladder and assumed that wasn't it. Then I looked at the guide and it said to go there, so I tried again and just happened to roll and it let me get to the ladder. By fast travel do you mean the yellow squares? How did you get into the southern area that way? If I haven't been to a yellow square yet, they are dark and unusable in the fast travel spirit zone.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think they're dark and unusable for a different reason, probably a mechanic that's demonstrated later on. I certainly used them to get to that area initially.

Also I still have no goddamn idea about the door in the mountain, this most recent page ain't getting the juices running at all. I really don't want to have to spoil myself for it!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Serephina posted:

I think they're dark and unusable for a different reason, probably a mechanic that's demonstrated later on. I certainly used them to get to that area initially.

Also I still have no goddamn idea about the door in the mountain, this most recent page ain't getting the juices running at all. I really don't want to have to spoil myself for it!

Like you don't know how to start the puzzle or you don't know how to finish it?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Cojawfee posted:

Is that not the normal way to get in? I originally had been down there because I saw the ladder on the instruction manual and figured that was how I was supposed to get there. I poked around there for a bit but couldn't find any ladder and assumed that wasn't it. Then I looked at the guide and it said to go there, so I tried again and just happened to roll and it let me get to the ladder. By fast travel do you mean the yellow squares? How did you get into the southern area that way? If I haven't been to a yellow square yet, they are dark and unusable in the fast travel spirit zone.

I got there the same way as Serephina, the panel for the southern atoll was already lit up when I entered, along with the Big Sword room teleporter. .

Serephina:

Very vague hint: there's a ghost that gives a hint of what you should be aiming for

very slightly less vague read the loving manual

less vague again but still leaving a lot of the solution to you look at the manual. Really look at each page

starting to give it away but just barely and I'm assuming you have the left and right pages of the manual that show the mountain door (so it looks like one wide page) think about where you've seen those numbers

bit more again, but don't worry there's still plenty to figure out: look at the highest number value and think about what else goes that high

somewhat significant hint about the mechanics I forgot the page number but it's one of the last ones, in the Notes section. Look at the top right of the page. Does something seem different?

Beyond that I think it would be explaining the solution. All that said... I looked at a spoiler for the actual, final solution - I had figured out what to do but after trying to solve it realized I was making an error somewhere and it could be hard to figure out what's wrong.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Serephina posted:

If you have all of the manual pages from the table of contents to (only spoiling the highest page number) 55 then you've gotten all the hints you're going to get. If not, you should do some more exploring.

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Mar 24, 2022

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I have only just started playing this and I'm loving it so much. I really hate the tendency of Zeldalike games to overexplain themselves (Fi in Skyward Sword is one of the worst examples I can think of) so it's incredibly refreshing when there's clearly something going on but the game just plain doesn't give a poo poo if I figure it out or not.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

where in Heck is the fourth gold skull

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

where in Heck is the fourth gold skull

There's one on the tombstone above the hole, one behind the tombstone in the water nearby (press L2/LT to see it better), one on the ground nearby, and one on the cliff above that needs to be pushed down.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'd missed that second one, thanks

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

how get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider