Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Care to clue me in? I remember following the instructions from the manual, but not what it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Care to clue me in? I remember following the instructions from the manual, but not what it does.

Info: It is used with another puzzle in the late game
Hint: Do you have all or most of the pages of the manual? It likely hinted at another puzzle to solve and this is part of that.

It's actual purpose: It's part of the golden path

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I’m very bad at this game :smith: I’ve only rung 1/3 bells and keep dying in the sandy area. I went to the quarry and immediately died. I should just turn on the accommodation settings, huh. Unlike probably most ppl, I am interested in this game less for the Zelda parts and more for the puzzles anyway

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Hawkperson posted:

I’m very bad at this game :smith: I’ve only rung 1/3 bells

You should be trying to head West, to ring that other bell you can probably see. You may or may not have found a manual page detailing the new area. The Quarry is certainly a 'later' thing. There are plenty of puzzles already visible/solvable, but the game's sneaky and hasn't told you about them yet as they're hiding in plain sight.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Serephina posted:

You should be trying to head West, to ring that other bell you can probably see. You may or may not have found a manual page detailing the new area. The Quarry is certainly a 'later' thing. There are plenty of puzzles already visible/solvable, but the game's sneaky and hasn't told you about them yet as they're hiding in plain sight.

ty. I think I found the place I am supposed to head and now I am trapped in a watery cavern!

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Hawkperson posted:

ty. I think I found the place I am supposed to head and now I am trapped in a watery cavern!

The sequence in the game is pretty broad, but if you want some signposting you generally are going to follow the manual's table of contents for zones. Everything always comes back to the manual.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

The (3 macguffins spoiler) area beyond/below the quarry is loving terrifying

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Played it over the last 3 evenings, got the good ending and everything you can get without translating, loved it apart from that one fight gauntlet. I needed a Fez/Witness heir and it does the job, the Golden Path is the best thing ever and I like that it provides you with a more global super-puzzle, something Fez lacks for example. Also it sure feels to me like it's a homage to the Sun's map from the Fool's Errand.

Anyway, a holy cross question suddenly popped into my head right after I uninstalled the game: the attack spell used by the candle guys sure looks like they're tracing a holy cross input in the ground, has anyone tried using it?

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I clicked on this thread randomly. Never would have heard about this otherwise, but I'm downloading the game now, I really liked the aesthetics. Reminded me of a mountain bike game called Lonely Mountains Downhill. What made me pull the trigger on the purchase is the inclusion of godmode. I just got done with 180 hours of Elden Ring so I just want to chill out and do some puzzles.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Finished this last night — took a bit of a break because I got exhausted deciphering the manual, but then I decided since I’d figured out 90% of the phonemes I’d just look up a translation and TBH I’m glad I did since there wasn’t really anything major I hadn’t figured out anyway.

Anyway, what an absolutely beautiful gem of a game. Really, really nails that Zelda feeling of being a bit lost in a huge world, as well as that old-school games feeling of smashing yourself into a wall over and over until you beat it. I was never able to beat the Heir before I figured out the golden path, so I never got the ‘bad ending’ which sounds like I missed out on some lore?

Also wondering if NG+ is like a Zelda “second quest” or pretty much the same? Though I’ve already seen some new enemies and found a key that doesn’t work where it used to, so I guess it’s a little different…

I think all I have left to do is find the remaining golden treasures and figure out the rune tower, which I can’t even remember how to get to now.

This game has been an absolute childlike delight from start to finish 😄

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

TACD posted:

Finished this last night — took a bit of a break because I got exhausted deciphering the manual, but then I decided since I’d figured out 90% of the phonemes I’d just look up a translation and TBH I’m glad I did since there wasn’t really anything major I hadn’t figured out anyway.

Anyway, what an absolutely beautiful gem of a game. Really, really nails that Zelda feeling of being a bit lost in a huge world, as well as that old-school games feeling of smashing yourself into a wall over and over until you beat it. I was never able to beat the Heir before I figured out the golden path, so I never got the ‘bad ending’ which sounds like I missed out on some lore?

Also wondering if NG+ is like a Zelda “second quest” or pretty much the same? Though I’ve already seen some new enemies and found a key that doesn’t work where it used to, so I guess it’s a little different…

I think all I have left to do is find the remaining golden treasures and figure out the rune tower, which I can’t even remember how to get to now.

This game has been an absolute childlike delight from start to finish 😄

Translation only affects a single golden trophy.

Did anyone ever figure out if the trophy room "portal" does anything? I had meant to go there and do golden path backwards, but i didn't feel like actually entering it again

e; Looked it up, someone did solve whatever was in that room and its apparently a video file that hints at a sequel or DLC or something.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Apr 10, 2022

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
NG+ adds enemies and puts some enemies earlier in the game to add to the challenge, but you do keep all your stats and can keep upgrading, so it balances out I guess.

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
absolute spoiler solution for the big final puzzle. also I can't doodle or understand cardinal directions.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

(Final puzzle spoilers) The back cover being the end of the Golden Path / the last piece most players will find and it simply telling you that it's the end is a pretty great troll.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Not really? It was a pretty big tell that shouted out loud what/where you should be looking for. I was a blind idiot and was looking for foxes gesticulating, but that's just me.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Serephina posted:

Not really? It was a pretty big tell that shouted out loud what/where you should be looking for. I was a blind idiot and was looking for foxes gesticulating, but that's just me.

What finally made me realize was the page with the holy cross in the top right of the margin that had the golden path around it, along with the page on the golden path itself -- which i at the time thought was just those 4 entries or whatever were on that page and then was like "nah guess its not that simple". Once I saw that margin though I went back to page 1 and started going through looking for it everywhere.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Serephina posted:

It wasn't deciphering the page itself but more that I spent ages hunting down fairies for that last page. There's no additional inputs on it so if I'd tried the solution without finding it, it still would have been accepted as valid.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Party Boat posted:

It wasn't deciphering the page itself but more that I spent ages hunting down fairies for that last page. There's no additional inputs on it so if I'd tried the solution without finding it, it still would have been accepted as valid.

But without the complete manual, the last page of which is behind that door, you still can't get the good ending.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Nephzinho posted:

But without the complete manual, the last page of which is behind that door, you still can't get the good ending.

Yeah, that makes it a great troll. It doesn't give you any new info for the path, but you still need it.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, that makes it a great troll. It doesn't give you any new info for the path, but you still need it.

It's a signpost. If you get every page of the manual but the cover, and you still don't know what the golden path is, and you got the back cover after doing 10+ fairies-- then idk what is going to make it click for you.

e; My first guess was also that the golden path was going to be much shorter, just the entry in the manual that was a single square of the actual thing, but that you'd have to enter it during the boss fight.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 11, 2022

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
I agree, I don't see how it was ever intended as a troll. My own experience with it, amusingly, was just assuming I'd find page 55 behind the door since it was literally at the end of the golden path, and so I imagined it was exactly what it was, a straight line to the end

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Wait, what? I'm pretty sure the page behind the door is the first page, which doesn't have any line parts

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, I didn't say 55's the actual page behind it, just the one I expected to be.

That being said now I think of it that page actually is a super important clue in that it actually looks like the start of a holy cross pattern, what with the circle, hinting that the golden path works both ways.

Chev fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 11, 2022

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Cojawfee posted:

disagree. it told me, finally, what the path IS - i saw the circle surrounded by gold, saw the 55 dead-center on the grid a few pages back, and immediately went "oh gently caress that's the end of a Holy Cross path, and that means..."

literally didn't have a goddamn clue where to look before that. brains're funny :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 12, 2022

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

Nephzinho posted:

I'm way too easily amused.

posted outside the quarry. unfortunately this sign can't stop the scavengers because they can't read Trunic either.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
this is possibly my new favorite game of all time, it's so good :3:

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

After completion, I didn't do a new game+, but started a new game from scratch.

My mind was blown when I realized I had a second "manual" from the physical notes I had taken from my first playthrough.

It's crazy how different a new playthrough feels after finishing. Take a break, forget some stuff and come back sometime. Highly recommended.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Okay I'm towards the end of the game, finding all the fairies. I've been scratching my head about the puzzle with the blue tiles around a pool (where a map piece was). Clearly it's something to do with the tiles, but how should be I looking at these? Like from what angle? I'm sure it's obvious but I'm feeling like a dummy.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Minor hint: the only angle that matters is which side of the fountain the blue tiles are on

Bigger hint: count the number of tiles in each shape

The solution: press the dpad starting with the direction of the single blue tile, then the shape with two etc

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

stratdax posted:

Okay I'm towards the end of the game, finding all the fairies. I've been scratching my head about the puzzle with the blue tiles around a pool (where a map piece was). Clearly it's something to do with the tiles, but how should be I looking at these? Like from what angle? I'm sure it's obvious but I'm feeling like a dummy.

This is the puzzle that took me the longest to solve because there just hadn't been something like it before, though there are a few others like it in the game.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

stratdax posted:

If it makes you feel better, I looked at that puzzle multiple times for a quite some time before getting it.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Peewi posted:

If it makes you feel better, I looked at that puzzle multiple times for a quite some time before getting it.

I think it would be easier if you found the candle version of it first?

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
The candle version is indeed the one where I first got it.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Party Boat posted:

Minor hint: the only angle that matters is which side of the fountain the blue tiles are on

Bigger hint: count the number of tiles in each shape

The solution: press the dpad starting with the direction of the single blue tile, then the shape with two etc

I though of that but dismissed it because, even by pressing LT to get a more overhead views, it looked like the top and the left had the same number of tiles. So I guess there's tile hidden behind the wall of the fountain? Maybe I miscounted .

Anyway, thanks all

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

stratdax posted:

I though of that but dismissed it because, even by pressing LT to get a more overhead views, it looked like the top and the left had the same number of tiles. So I guess there's tile hidden behind the wall of the fountain? Maybe I miscounted .

Anyway, thanks all

A hint about your thought train: Look at the number of tiles per shape/group, not necessarily per side.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

I don't wanna post itt because I'm still going through tunic for the first time. But, poo poo man, this game is cool!

KrunkMcGrunk fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 14, 2022

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Nephzinho posted:

A hint about your thought train: Look at the number of tiles per shape/group, not necessarily per side.

Yeah it was just goofy because a single tile in the top right was hidden. There were a couple other similar fairy puzzles with flowers which, if I had found first, would have primed me for what I was looking for and making the jump. But the biggest bitch of a puzzle was the rotating water reflection. How was I supposed to figure which start orientation was correct? Because when it's displayed on the wall at the start, that's not the correct orientation. You have to wait until it's orientated so the start point is under water? You kidding me? And then weird poo poo happens with those double long lines. Total brute force on that one, definitely not enjoyable.

Since I got all twenty fairies I got the grand prize. I didn't know what it was. Did some poking around and figured out it's a super duper secret, and it looks like there's 11 more of them. Stoked for the puzzles, but not looking forward to the running around and backtracking.

Honestly, I'm not sure I fully enjoy the structure of the game. Maybe a second playthrough will make the game shine a little more because only learning about the existence of a puzzle well after I've already been through the area makes doubling (or in this case, tripling) back through areas to do them makes it a bit of a slog. But I don't know if that would actually be possible because I can't remember exactly when I got the page that shows which pages I should be looking at for hints for the super secrets. Plus, not gonna lie, the Holy Cross gimmick is wearing a bit thin. Having no feedback if I got it wrong or just missed an input can lead to frustration. Like I dunno, something like little golden lines briefly appearing above your head when you press a dpad button. I'm pretty sure my dpad sucks so it's not registering all my inputs, having me second guess myself.

And something I found a bit funny, I didn't fully realize there was a night mode, as it doesn't happen naturally, you have to manually make it happen. Would have made a few things a little more obvious if there was a day/night cycle.

Those complaints aside, I think the game is great. The aesthetics, the manual, the scalability of how deep you want to get into the puzzles, the items, the music, all top tier. And considering it's a single person developer it's absolutely astonishing. And I can't thank them enough for godmode because for me the game would have been a non-starter without it.

And all that being said I don't know if there's a more satisfying interaction in games than the one between the fox and the little trees. GodDAMN it's perfect.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 15, 2022

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If you are playing on PC, you can just use the arrow keys for the holy cross stuff, which should be more accurate than a dpad.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I looked up confirmation for a couple of puzzle solutions and the water reflection rotation one was one of those. Much like the combat, I got my fill of the puzzles (the Golden Path was really satisfying to figure out and map, even if inputting the solution was a pain) but got assistance rather than get frustrated bashing my head against the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah some of them are just too tedious. When I was doing puzzles, I had a guide up. If it wasn't too annoying, I would work it out myself. If it looked real bad I just looked at the guide solution. No need to waste your time figuring something out when you've recognized the gimmick and the rest is just the tedious part.