Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

stratdax posted:

And something I found a bit funny, I didn't fully realize there was a night mode, as it doesn't happen naturally, you have to manually make it happen. Would have made a few things a little more obvious if there was a day/night cycle.

Yea I only figured this out totally by accident — I was wandering around for ages after losing to the Heir, becoming a ghost and getting the laurels, trying to figure out if I was still in the dead world? Or the future where darkness had taken over? Or??? And wondering if there was a way for me to ever get back to the ‘normal’ world, when I went to bed and got back just by chance.

I’m still not sure, can you make it nighttime at any point or only after fighting the Heir the first time? And could I have made it day again before restoring my body?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

TACD posted:

I’m still not sure, can you ---

Plot spoilers: I think 'night' happens when you die and the heir declines to respawn you, aka stuck in the spirit world. Which can't happen before the heir fight is unlocked, although I don't think there's any need to actually die to the heir. Whether it's possible to unseal the Heir, then die elsewhere and see if they'll fail to respawn you is cool test to try out. IIRC you can't go back to day before restoring your body, I think it's a hard requirement to sleep in the bed.

A good followup question is "Can you beat the game in every possible way without ever visiting the Cathedral?" And I'm pretty sure you can, even if unspoilered?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It’s also because (postgame spoilers) it’s not night. It’s an entirely different plane of existence. So a day/night cycle wouldn’t get you what you want because the time of day is irrelevant, and it also wouldn’t make sense unless some really loving weird planar poo poo was doing on (which would be cool actually).

I’m watching Vinesauce wrap up his playthrough and yyyeah I can see the obtuseness of the game’s heavily puzzle-based endgame causing players to just bounce off the entire back half. The game was an interesting experiment, but something about it just fails to grab a lot of players towards the end and people either decide not to bother figuring the puzzles out or just put it down and call it quits. That’s actually kind of a problem.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 15, 2022

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I finished it. The last puzzle is an all time great and the manual is brilliant, but yeah I have two big problems with the game. 1 being the finicky, shoehorned souls combat when regular Zelda combat would have been fine. And 2 is the fact the game switches from a neat take on Zelda to a difficult indie puzzler at the end. I enjoyed both but the switch feels so disjointed when I would have liked it to stick with one or the other.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Yeah. Feel like they were trying to say something kinda deep with the swap to puzzler - there’s some sort of commentary there with the “easy” ending being a commitment to repeating the same old same old endlessly and having to transcend genres to truly end the game but they don’t quite nail it imo.

Still, it is a fantastic loving game even if it has quite a bit of that reverse difficulty curve going. When I posted itt I was pretty close to just saying gently caress it and quitting, and probably would have if the accessibility options weren’t there. I was proud of getting through non-bosses without turning on no-fail, but there was at least one boss that I only tried twice before going “yeah this isn’t fun” and cheesing it

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Finished it, loved it. Found all the secret treasures. There were a couple spots I got stuck - the windchime puzzle has its hint on page 34 (the atoll page), along with a second "puzzle" - really just an out of the way chest, indicated by a singing bird on the page. Well of course I thought the solution to the music puzzle was the singing that the birds do, so I was using the slowmo device to slow down time and trying to chart the chirping of the birds, which was still way too fast. I really overthought that one. Also the broken golden obelisk, once I saw the base I immediately knew what I had to do, but I wasn't about to run all around the world AGAIN, this time hoping to stumble across the pieces I remember seeing, so I just looked it up. I consider that "solved", but opinions may vary.

I googled the translation for the puzzle involving 60 seconds of silence, but I was promptly spoiled on the solution. I thought that might happen but I wasn't going to translate the message by hand, so oh well. Kind of sucks because I think it would have been a neat riddle to figure out. I think it might have been the only real riddle? I think my favourite puzzle was the 4 skulls, even though it was simple, because it involved interacting with the world directly.
I think the most annoying puzzle was the cathedral. Running there, trying to find the hidden door, then finding out I had to switch to night so running back teleporter and then to the house, sleeping, running back to the cathedral, opening the door, and then having to switch to day and go BACK AGAIN was just too much.

Those are really my only complaints, everything else was really slick. I don't know how I feel about the switch from Souls to Puzzles. Pros and cons. While there isn't a lot of integration between the gameplay and the puzzles, on one hand it means that if somebody doesn't want to engage with the puzzles they don't have to. Like I think if I do another playthrough I'll completely skip the puzzles and just enjoy the Souls-ing. On the other hand, it seems like some people miss the fact that there's puzzles in the game at all. And between the fairies and the secret trophies there was waaaay too much backtracking. I do think they could have integrated the puzzles a little better, maybe having some minor holy cross puzzles, the hints for which are in the manual, actually blocking progress in some way to prime people for the puzzling. And, this is definitely on me for not perusing the manual hard enough, but since I didn't even know about the secret trophies until I got all 20 fairies, I would have appreciated it being a little clearer that these secret trophies exist to avoid the excessive backtracking I was doing. I mean all the markings in the manual are there, but you only really *see* them when you know you're looking for something, ya know?

Anyway, that's my two cents. I thoroughly enjoyed the game.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That's pretty amazing that you completed all the useful-collectables before finding even one of the vanity trophies. I had like 2-3 of them before I even figured out the existence of useful-collectables, they where just kinda like "thar be treasure here, yarr!" and I banged my head on it until the useless trophy popped out.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The first secret collectible I got was the windmill. I was expecting a fairy!

Negative_Earth
Apr 18, 2002

BeiiN AlL ii CaN B
I'm playing the game on gamespass, and I initially bounced off it hard. Art style was great, but combat was too much of a slog beyond the first boss. Skimmed the thread, saw that there were Accessibility options, turned them on, and actually started to enjoy the game as a puzzler.

The description of "like playing your older brother's copy of Legend of Zelda in Japanese" is good. Confusion about just about everything- who you are, where to go, what to do, etc. But that didn't matter so long as you applied undocumented guidelines/behaviors of the videogames: kill anything, get the keys, go to new areas, repeat. The manual pages appearing to gently guide you along to the 'next area' as well as provide some really nice art made it okay, so long as you kept being able to get to places.

Now I'm stuck again, at the end of the game, and I'm grinding around looking for more pages. Hopefully I find enough to finish out the manual before I say "good enough" and close it forever.

Sticking Points:
-I'm currently in ghost form and hunting for the final gold stat boost from the Hero's Shrine, and it looks like it's available in the quarry (which is unreachable). Is it there, or somewhere else? Manual page hunting is getting old.
-I've got three more pages to get, at least one is in the west island area with heretofor unreachable fast travel point- only I can't quite figure out the jumping puzzle required to get to the platform.
-golden path, or whatever the key sequence is, acts like a final key to get into places. Which sucks because I can't remember if there were more than just the three doors/places. Door at the top of the mountain and the super busted one in the east forest are the only two I can think of offhand
-please god tell me that the manual eventually gets translated out of trunic or whatever
-as far as endings, i've gotten a bad "game over" one that presents me with 'go get more pages' or 'new game+', i'm hoping there's at least one slightly better ending

-edit oh jeez there's fairies and poo poo to collect? i vaguely recall there being a tiny buzzing colored fly on one of the margins of one of the manual pages, no way i would have discerned that without the thread.

Negative_Earth fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 16, 2022

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Remember that there are often two or three ways to get into each area.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Negative_Earth posted:

-edit oh jeez there's fairies and poo poo to collect? i vaguely recall there being a tiny buzzing colored fly on one of the margins of one of the manual pages, no way i would have discerned that without the thread.

Take a look at page 47/48.
And for hints towards more optional puzzles, page 54. All those little doodles and penned in markings throughout the manual are there for reasons and Page 54 gives you some guidance. Totally optional though, only do if you're feeling like it. I quite enjoyed some of them.
And to another thing you mentioned, the manual doesn't get translated, but you only need the translation for one optional puzzle. So if you don't feel like translating it just ask in this thread when you get to the puzzle and we'll give you a hint.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The final final puzzle with the trophies is completely optional, is frustrating to do, and I'm not sure how anyone was able to figure out they did it correctly. Once you do all the steps of the puzzle, you end up with a runic phrase that you translate into a URL and that URL just has a video. More info: the URL is https://doyoufeartheeyesofthefarshore.co/ and apparently you can do spectral analysis of the audio in the video to get more info, I got bored at this point.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Negative_Earth posted:

Sticking Points:
-I'm currently in ghost form and hunting for the final gold stat boost from the Hero's Shrine, and it looks like it's available in the quarry (which is unreachable). Is it there, or somewhere else? Manual page hunting is getting old.
There's a second way into that area
vague hint: most of the Quarry is covered in the goo, you can only really access the area you need to get to
exact hint:there's a path by the door in the mountains you can take because of camera angle shenanigans

this should be the thing you focus on first, because this might open up the key to why you can't do your next point

quote:

-I've got three more pages to get, at least one is in the west island area with heretofor unreachable fast travel point- only I can't quite figure out the jumping puzzle required to get to the platform.
what specific pages are you missing? page 1 obviously but the other 2

quote:

-golden path, or whatever the key sequence is, acts like a final key to get into places. Which sucks because I can't remember if there were more than just the three doors/places. Door at the top of the mountain and the super busted one in the east forest are the only two I can think of offhand
the golden path refers ONLY to the door in the mountains. it's the final puzzle for 100%, and there's only 1 page locked behind it.

quote:

-please god tell me that the manual eventually gets translated out of trunic or whatever
it doesn't! but once you get the good ending there's a really nice translated version that was posted on reddit a bit ago.

there are no puzzles required to complete the game locked behind translating the manual in any way.

quote:

p
-as far as endings, i've gotten a bad "game over" one that presents me with 'go get more pages' or 'new game+', i'm hoping there's at least one slightly better ending
yes, by now you've had both endings clearly signposted.

on the subject of fairies

there's 20 fairies hidden around the world, and one of the manual pages has a checklist that tells you where they are, AND a holy cross spell to help you find them

you only need 10 for the ending

Negative_Earth
Apr 18, 2002

BeiiN AlL ii CaN B
Thanks for the assists, all. This is not a game to play when you're up late and have no brainpower.

I was able to get to the last open-world page after the hint about the camera angle shenanigans at the top of the world led me to one of my other problem spots. This game does a good job of chaining one thing to another.

Regarding the manual, I googled the pages numbers I was missing- they're the ones hidden behind the door at top of the world and after the fairies.

At least I've got a reason to keep playing. I'll still recommend it by asking "what if Zelda had Souls combat in between Witness puzzles".

Negative_Earth fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 30, 2022

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cojawfee posted:

you can do spectral analysis

It extends to other parts of the game and actually goes a lot farther than that, the game's actually got a whole musical code thing going where some sequence of notes are letters. For example the Ziggurat track contains the phrase "a way to die no more".

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Soo.... i-frames. There appear to be.... exceptions to i-frames. What are those exceptions?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

HolHorsejob posted:

Soo.... i-frames. There appear to be.... exceptions to i-frames. What are those exceptions?

The only place in the game I had what I would consider to be weird interactions with iframes was the scavenger boss.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Nephzinho posted:

The only place in the game I had what I would consider to be weird interactions with iframes was the scavenger boss.

lol yeah that's where I was faceplanting when I posted this. I did eventually manage to KO the scavenger boss, and from there the siege engine and librarian went down pretty quick

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
Just got the good ending. I absolutely loved this game.

I'm not sure why people complain so much about the combat. I didn't find it too floaty or anything, but maybe if I had come to this straight off playing Hades I would've felt different.

I died a lot on some of the bosses, but it overall felt fair. While 'get gud' was an option, there was usually some kind of trick to each fight that could help a lot. On a lot of the big bosses it was more beneficial to keep running and waiting for the right moment rather than dodging too much and running out of stamina.

The people complaining about backtracking after you become a ghost is similarly bizarre to me. In a game like this, I'm spending half my time rubbing up on insurmountable obstacles, I was more than happy to give everything a last pass after I got the garland looking for those final chests.

ymgve posted:

an addition to the last point: It ALSO watches for keyboard arrows input, even if you're using a controller, and thank the gods for that, because the 360 dpad sucks assssss
I wish I would have thought of that sooner because lengthy sequences on my Wired 360 controller were giving me RSI near the end. input the Golden Path right more or less the first time, though

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Finished last night. Fantastic game, definitely a strong GOTY 2022 candidate for me.

I got the Golden Path on my first try, but I definitely would have looked up the solution if I hadn't. There's just too much there to re-check every little bit. I was really worried when I started working on it, because so many pages seemed to have multiple or ambiguous paths, but when I found page 55 and started tracing backwards it clicked pretty quickly that you can enter and exit a page multiple times and it was smooth sailing from there. I'm glad I didn't start playing until after the Game Pass bug was fixed, because it would have been tragic to get stuck there.

The only outside hints I needed were that you can sleep in the bed to go back to daytime for a couple trophies, and the translation of and solution to the riddle on Page 1, which feels obvious enough in retrospect that I wish I hadn't given up so quickly.

My most embarrassing failure was how long it took me to realize there were bombable walls, and that they were indicated by the little cluster of 3 flowers. For a long time, that chest on the ledge directly SE of the central checkpoint was my white whale. I saw the hidden passage indicated on the map but spent probably 20 minutes humping walls and mashing the A button to try to click a hidden switch before giving up and just knocking an enemy down to the ledge and ice hookshotting it. Then I went into the hidden passage from the back and thought "wait, what if I..." and facepalmed.

My favorite reference was the golden Celeste Kevin Block trophy, which I thought was just a cute homage until I watched that speed run reaction video and realized "wait, same Kevin!".

The one thing I wish had a more satisfying answer to is how the framing device with the manual and the old timey TV fits into the narrative. Who is playing the game? Who scribbled in the manual? How are the pages leaping out of the game and taking physical form? Why does the ruin seeker standing in water affect the manual outside the game? I was actually expecting the bad end twist to be that it's a cursed game cartridge and "you, the player" (i.e. whoever is holding the manual and looking at the TV in at that meta-level) are the one that get sucked in and trapped in the Oubliette for the next cycle, especially since some of the chalkboard scribbles in the Library kind of look like an NES cartridge.

Edit: I don't know how many people watch Taskmaster, but whenever I got stuck all I could think of was Alex Horne standing behind me smugly repeating "All the information is on the task."

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Thoom posted:

The only outside hints I needed were... ...and the translation of and solution to the riddle on Page 1, which feels obvious enough in retrospect that I wish I hadn't given up so quickly.

My biggest regret here as well. I'm still annoyed I didn't figure it out.

Thoom posted:

Edit: I don't know how many people watch Taskmaster, but whenever I got stuck all I could think of was Alex Horne standing behind me smugly repeating "All the information is on the task."

lmao

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Thoom posted:

My most embarrassing failure was how long it took me to realize there were bombable walls, and that they were indicated by the little cluster of 3 flowers. For a long time, that chest on the ledge directly SE of the central checkpoint was my white whale. I saw the hidden passage indicated on the map but spent probably 20 minutes humping walls and mashing the A button to try to click a hidden switch before giving up and just knocking an enemy down to the ledge and ice hookshotting it. Then I went into the hidden passage from the back and thought "wait, what if I..." and facepalmed.
Yeah, I did exactly this. I found several other secrets just from dashing about in every possible direction, going through the tunnels, trying to use the orb, every drat thing to get at that chest. I think because so many other parts in the game I would have expected to be a bombable wall turned out to just be a pushable wall instead.

Also, I never knew about the flowers indicating a bomb wall until your post, goddamn it lol

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Just spent a whole day playing this, game rules, even though a few fights are kinda annoying. Scavenger boss and the cathedral gauntlet are a bit much.

I'm-guessing-endgame question: So do I have a choice between fighting Heir and following the Golden Path, or will I have to do both anyway? I've already de-ghosted myself and am now doing all the Witness-rear end puzzles.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
You've got a choice, although initially one was locked by doing the other. That's been patched out though.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

TACD posted:

Also, I never knew about the flowers indicating a bomb wall until your post, goddamn it lol

Ohhh my goooood, that is NOT in the loving manual. I spent ages looking at the wall next to two statues by the town ruins

I think I have the path to the ending figured out, just need a hint on one puzzle: Got all the souls except one, the seeking spell leads me to the pond in town ruins, but there's no pattern there or anything really. There's three ghosts standing around, and a Golden Path door that I've opened already. I've also already been to the cave directly underneath, with the Fez tower.

Also, is there any point to the super-secret-secrets? Like the windmill puzzle, windchime notes puzzle, I think also tapestry in the old house was one. Items seem like jokes or easter eggs. I also got a second sword somewhere, guessing that's a shortcut for speedrunning? Also noticed the manual has spells to summon bombs, but one time only?

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.
The super secret secrets you mention are more of things you have already gotten, of which there are 20 in total but only 10 are necessary for the ending you’re after.

The hint for the puzzle you’re looking for is that it requires counting and is very similar to another puzzle you may have already done.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Irregardless posted:

The hint for the puzzle you’re looking for is that it requires counting and is very similar to another puzzle you may have already done.

Thanks, I noticed that but didn't click for some reason how to count it. Got to the end, turns out I didn't really have to do a lot of those extra puzzles :v: Good game.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Started playing this game a few days ago. I am in the quarry at the monastery. In front of the monastery is a thing you save your progress at/pray to/upgrade your poo poo at and it is surrounded by water I can't cross. Should I be able to cross the water at this point? I feel like I don't know a ton of game mechanics and there are lot of things / manual pages out of reach in the overworld so maybe I missed something and I should be able to pray at this thing at this point.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

You will get that later, after (slight hint) the world state changes.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I heard Death's Door being compared to TUNIC a lot, so I gave it a whirl during the Summer Sale.

It's Zelda-ish, with the focus being combat and post-game being a collect-a-thon with ingame hints, really hard to find fault with anything it did other than maybe the maps feeling a bit big. But when comparing it to TUNIC in hindsight, it really shows how tightly polished everything was, TUNIC really aimed for the stars and almost got there with DD taking a more safe approach.

I know many people don't like the shift to a puzzle game, but I think that's mostly due to how good the Zelda part was. After thinking about it a lot, I still think I'd recomendad TUNIC to random people.

(Oh, and anyone who describes either game as Souls-like needs to be beaten around the head. Seriously.)

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Serephina posted:

(Oh, and anyone who describes either game as Souls-like needs to be beaten around the head. Seriously.)

B-but it has blocking and rolling, what else could it be?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Tunic launched on PS and Switch a little while ago so it may be worth giving this thread another little punch because, uh, man, this game got me good.

My favourite thing in the whole game is that I learned, after cracking the language and translating bits of the manual by hand, that there was an accessory that grants "parry time up". This was, to my knowledge, the only place anywhere in the game that acknowledges that you can parry. I tried experimenting with combat early on doing things like perfectly timed guards or attacking at the same time as an enemy hits but nothing. I concluded that there is no parry mechanic in the game. I still do not know how to parry.

All around a lovely new addition to the very small club currently populated by Fez, The Witness, and Outer Wilds. And I guess from what I've heard La Mulana, but I've not played that one.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
This game owns, its great on steam deck but I’m gonna buy it on ps5 as well probably

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Fedule posted:

Tunic launched on PS and Switch a little while ago so it may be worth giving this thread another little punch because, uh, man, this game got me good.

My favourite thing in the whole game is that I learned, after cracking the language and translating bits of the manual by hand, that there was an accessory that grants "parry time up". This was, to my knowledge, the only place anywhere in the game that acknowledges that you can parry. I tried experimenting with combat early on doing things like perfectly timed guards or attacking at the same time as an enemy hits but nothing. I concluded that there is no parry mechanic in the game. I still do not know how to parry.

All around a lovely new addition to the very small club currently populated by Fez, The Witness, and Outer Wilds. And I guess from what I've heard La Mulana, but I've not played that one.

Spoilers re: lategame mechanics: Tap the block button instead of holding block. Try double-tapping to really convince yourself to parry. I never used it myself as I found it far too hard to time as I'm bad at these things. There's also a bunch of other hidden combat mechanics such as freezing shots from the magic wand, it's great how things are hidden in plain sight.

edit: I've only played the first iteration of La Mulana, but it's quite the masochistic endeavour. It's not really winnable by yourself without like 200+ hours of humping walls for hidden doors.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Oct 10, 2022

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Extremely late to the game, but (I think) I've mostly finished it over the last couple of evenings.

Dumbass "have I missed anything obvious?" questions below - please be as vague as you can

Current status: Let that lady out of Ghost Jail, she killed me, I got my stats back and learned to teleport, found all the fairies (drat that lower forest one), figured out you can flip the worldstate with the bed in town (yes, I worked it out in that order)
I'm only missing one pair of manual pages - the first one. I assume I shouldn't have those yet. I have 7/12 gold trophy things.

-The big obvious thing is the mountain door. Clearly the gold square page is the secret to solving it, and it's another maze. I assume the numbers correspond to page numbers, but I don't know what to do with that info. Do I have everything I need to solve this already?
- Whenever I sleep, I loose the blue key. Is this a glitch? It's still in the church, but it's also back at the scavenger boss, and I can pick it up again.
- The game doesn't want me to actually translate it's language, right? I'm sure it's possible (looks like a substitution, plus some special characters for particular words?), but I'd really rather not have to
- Can I just go kill Miss Moonlight Greatsword without being locked into a bad ending?
- My stat spread is really uneven, I hardly seem to have found any stamina upgrades. Is this normal, or have I missed a bunch?
- There must be a purpose to going to the graveyard at daytime (other than the chest under the ghost bridge in the cathedral). They wouldn't make a unique enemy type for nothing, right?

Things I haven't worked out: arena you teleport to from the trophy room, cave where the big skeleton doesn't try to sell you things, whatever the manual is saying about 60 seconds and water, pink switch(?) and elevator(?) in the ziggurat, any practical uses for the gun and the hourglass, last page octopus with numbers (assume this is a boss I haven't got to yet).

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I don't have any answers to your questions but as long as someone is bumping the thread I will add that you can now buy this plushy of the little fox https://www.fangamer.com/products/tunic-fox-plush

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

You are correct in all your assumptions about the mountain door and the manual. You have everything you need in front of you.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It's been a while since I've played, but I'll try to help the best I can without obvious spoilers:

-You have everything you need for the door. Yer gonna be really angry at yourself when you finally see it.
-No idea what you mean about that key, it's been too long sorry.
-You do NOT need to translate the language, except for maybe your own gratification.
-Yea go ahead and take that battle, it's a good fight and doesn't lock you out of anything.
-You've almost certainly missed a few. I remember them being rather equally spread.
-There's not a lot there, you can explore off to the right a bit for some minor loot.

Not sure about the rest (sorry it's been ages), but that particular weapon is ultra anti-crowd, explicitly useful in the dungeon immediately after you can first get it, and for the hoarde of dudes during some of the gauntlet fights at the bottom of the cathedral. Other than that it's up to you to herd enemies into big enough packs to make it worthwhile.

edit: eh gently caress it, I just spoiler'd all of it.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Feb 26, 2023

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I just finished this game after discovering it late as well. It’s wonderful, basically a perfect experience, though it gets kind of tedious to return to places I’ve already been after the first fight. Everyone I try to sell the game on responds like I’m crazy for liking something that sounds so tedious, and maybe I am just the perfect audience for this kind of game, but I didn’t even find the language tedious to figure out, though I didn’t translate any of the lore pages after realizing it’s all quasi-gibberish in the mode of a bad translation out of Japanese. I have nothing to add really, but the experience of needing to figure everything out from scratch was incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Serephina posted:

Yer gonna be really angry at yourself when you finally see it.

Yeah, a little. It's not super obvious on the two most natural pages to start looking, I noticed it on another page first which convinced me too look harder