Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

seriously.

i haven't seen any paid software (software that either requires me to pay to use it or that has as its sole purpose to channel my money to the dumb shits that made me install it) that actually seems to work correctly in a long time. often trivial poo poo like registration flows are a frustrating, humiliating, broken experience.

paid apps don't work. i tried to use a food delivery thing and after it cleared my checkout data twice in the same way after asking for additional information, i just waded across the street to a place that can give me food by speaking to a real human. you know, those things where if they break (in public at least) you can at least call someone. i tried to use a ride sharing thing, but their password field in the signup flow got blocked by their own stupid ui elements. argh!

paid apps never improve. ever used spotify? that thing has a trillion bugs, some of which i barfed into their internal bug tracker almost a decade ago when and the only one that's been fixed since i left was fixed by removing the broken feature completely. they have like a thousand engineers now, what the hell is everyone doing?

meanwhile in the free software world - everything kind of works, ish. yes, i have to restart pipewire 3 trillion times before every time i want to use audio. yes, emacs hangs if some json file contains too many {{{{. yes, nobody understands any loving placement of ui elements and the like in open-source programs.

but at least they kind of do what someone intended. because at least someone actually cared enough to put their time into the thing unpaid. and if i don't like it, i can probably fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I use Apple, OP. it just works.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
wow software sucks, shocking

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
use better software, op

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

tazjin posted:

seriously.

i haven't seen any paid software (software that either requires me to pay to use it or that has as its sole purpose to channel my money to the dumb shits that made me install it) that actually seems to work correctly in a long time. often trivial poo poo like registration flows are a frustrating, humiliating, broken experience.

paid apps don't work. i tried to use a food delivery thing and after it cleared my checkout data twice in the same way after asking for additional information, i just waded across the street to a place that can give me food by speaking to a real human. you know, those things where if they break (in public at least) you can at least call someone. i tried to use a ride sharing thing, but their password field in the signup flow got blocked by their own stupid ui elements. argh!

paid apps never improve. ever used spotify? that thing has a trillion bugs, some of which i barfed into their internal bug tracker almost a decade ago when and the only one that's been fixed since i left was fixed by removing the broken feature completely. they have like a thousand engineers now, what the hell is everyone doing?

meanwhile in the free software world - everything kind of works, ish. yes, i have to restart pipewire 3 trillion times before every time i want to use audio. yes, emacs hangs if some json file contains too many {{{{. yes, nobody understands any loving placement of ui elements and the like in open-source programs.

but at least they kind of do what someone intended. because at least someone actually cared enough to put their time into the thing unpaid. and if i don't like it, i can probably fix it.

Didn't read, but $52.99 a month (less if you're a student) and you can subscribe to the Adobe Creative Cloud program and use industry-leading, polished software like Photoshop™ and After Effects™ like I do. Stop being a cheap piece of poo poo.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
idk if the creative cloud suite is really the best counter to OP's thesis that paid software sucks poo poo and is designed by assholes

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
It's some of the best stuff that I've ever used and every person that complains about adobe software being bad last used it on a ppc mac with a round mouse

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

someone should study the very specific way linux breaks your brain so you're unable to use any software not made by other linux users without having some sort of extreme meltdown

carry on then fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 19, 2022

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

carry on then posted:

someone should study the very specific way linux breaks your brain so you're unable to use any software not made by other linux users without having some sort of extreme meltdown

yospos, bithc

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

anyway, paging rotor

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

carry on then posted:

there's almost assuredly a pharmaceutical that works on fossbrain in 2022

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jonny 290 posted:

It's some of the best stuff that I've ever used and every person that complains about adobe software being bad last used it on a ppc mac with a round mouse

anythng you can do with creative cloud you can instead do with some combination of the gimp, inkscape, blender, audacity, etc

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i have done sound production for 27 years. audacity is dogshit (nobody uses audition anyways, real heads use their old copy of sound forge 7). its also 2022 and we don't use products called "the gimp". inkscape is moderately neat but photoshop is still a ferrari to inkscape's v6 honda accord. you're not wrong but by using this hodgepodge of angry-bald-man-written oss "alternatives" you're just doing far more self dick punching than 50 bucks a month is worth

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i forgot to mention darktable

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ah yeah i'm sure my manager will approve me using a thing named "dark table" to create a thing in my real job. absolutely zero bitcoin miners or code comments defending ephebophilia in that one

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

i have done sound production for 27 years. audacity is dogshit (nobody uses audition anyways, real heads use their old copy of sound forge 7). its also 2022 and we don't use products called "the gimp". inkscape is moderately neat but photoshop is still a ferrari to inkscape's v6 honda accord. you're not wrong but by using this hodgepodge of angry-bald-man-written oss "alternatives" you're just doing far more self dick punching than 50 bucks a month is worth

lol imagine simping for adobe

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

the only good software is amberpos

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

SmokaDustbowl posted:

lol imagine simping for adobe

I'm talking software one uses in their job. stay in your lane.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

I'm talking software one uses in their job. stay in your lane.

gonna brag about paying for netflix next

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
vscode is good Free Software

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i think calling audacity dogshit is a little unfair. it's super useful for doing small things that aren't necessarily something you need for Everyday Work, free, lightweight, etc.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

1password, alfred, and pixelmator pro work great op

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

vscode is good Free Software

yeah it’s great

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

didn't read but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn8gealMDsg

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

carry on then posted:

i think once you use Linux (tm) you enter some kind of pact with the devil where normal software that works for normal people will eternally stop working for you, but other Linux (tm) native software will forever „kind of“ work for you

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

you can use linux without making a big deal out of it op.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

fart simpson posted:

i forgot to mention darktable

you’re better off using your camera’s raw processor than darktable

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3893167

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

vim works if you see a text editor as being a lifestyle accessory

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

i am very specifically complaining about adobe creative cloud, which i assure you i have used in tyool 2022.

it's dogshit node garbage that sucks down ram like your mother at a gloryhole for the dual purposes of making sure you've paid for software and trying to sell you more software. everything is a webview and there are a number of bugs that can prevent it from ever signing in to your account to validate your licenses, just because

the actual creative suite apps vary wildly because they're adobe apps with rather mixed heritage but they do often work. except adobe xd.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

post hole digger posted:

you can use linux without making a big deal out of it op.

maybe some people can, but clearly not everyone

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

real heads use their old copy of sound forge 7
4.5, after that everything went downhill

quote:

inkscape is moderately neat but photoshop is still a ferrari to inkscape's v6 honda accord. you're not wrong but by using this hodgepodge of angry-bald-man-written oss "alternatives" you're just doing far more self dick punching than 50 bucks a month is worth
both gimp and inkscape had their work cut out for them; use the same ui and workflow as adobe but make it not suck.

by insisting selecting nodes, joining them and moving pathfinder somewhere else should work in a radically different way inkscape shoots itself in the foot

with photoshop you could honestly improve a boatload of stuff by starting with copying everything and then making parts not suck. you could make filters fullscreen instead of in a tiny 1998 window. you could remove scitex and pcx file extensions from the save as menu, or make it so that you can select only those you want to see. you could easily make the layers work in a nonstupid way.

adobe is absolutely garbo but all the alternatives are p much worse

ps2022 updated itself and suddenly i could not make new files anymore. why, you ask? because i use an onboard graphics card and nobody decided to test with that and first you gotta disable hardware acceleration. they are raking in the millions, being more of an advertising company these days than anything creative, their codebase is a creaking pile of legacy poo poo, they make idiotic breaking changes (save as, save as copy) and they don’t test their own software

for music production hell yeah, there are a few great oss plugins but by far nothing enough to replace the incumbents.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
adobe isn't good but "complex media manipulation" is one of those application domains that really benefits from having professionally-trained UX people around. adobe /has/ some of those even if they're not great at their jobs, whereas the OSS projects presumably have none because the only people that work on OSS professionally are working on (a marketing tool for) enterprise software or something that supports it. there is no enterprise software that is or depends on an image editor

adobe gets the UX part reasonably okay, and puts out some cool novel mostly-math poo poo, but dear god outside that they've got some serious warts.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

akadajet posted:

you’re better off using your camera’s raw processor than darktable

yeah idk, i use the free sony version of capture one

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
turns out the user's experience of using the software is is only weakly correlated to how much money it will make and how popular it will be

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

what if it's software you're supposed to pay for but you crack it, op?

lol and indeed lmao

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

carry on then posted:

i don't like having ads in my software op

imagine sitting down in front of the machine that you use for a large fraction of your day and the chief marketing officer of the company that produces the software you use unzips and takes a long smelly piss on your face.

and there's people saying things like "oh it's just a little piss gosh must you be so melodramatic" or "well you can ask him very nicely please sir i would like it if you do not piss on my face for the next hour sir please and thank you" and "they make little piss cups now with drainage tubes that you can attach to your forehead to collect the piss and route it elsewhere so that none of it gets onto your face"

if i had to live in a world like that i'd think i was living in crazy world. but i don't because i use a linux based desktop operating system