Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

echinopsis posted:

i just make a trip twice per day

saves on making lists

same except once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

same except once

:smugmrgw:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
not everyone can just walk to the coop for some eggs

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

all desktop software with trials that cost a one-time purchase between $15-$150, aka, 'shareware', is usually pretty great. open source projects usually can't afford designers, and even if they can because they're a full company or foundation, usually doesn't have the design culture and priorities you need for great UI. the exceptions are rare and spectacular, like blender. the fact that linux lacks a shareware scene is in my mind the primary reason it never gained traction as a desktop os.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

fart simpson posted:

how much does that cost every month though?

nothing beyond the CRAPPLE tax

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

chaosbreather posted:

all desktop software with trials that cost a one-time purchase between $15-$150, aka, 'shareware', is usually pretty great. open source projects usually can't afford designers, and even if they can because they're a full company or foundation, usually doesn't have the design culture and priorities you need for great UI. the exceptions are rare and spectacular, like blender. the fact that linux lacks a shareware scene is in my mind the primary reason it never gained traction as a desktop os.

love it when clowns recommend 7zip and it’s ok until you actually need a tool like winrar that just works

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

what happens when you buy WinRAR?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
a sense of warmth

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

7zip works fine on my personal computer but on my work laptop when i try to open an archive it just opens the 7zip file manager into the my documents folder, and then i have to navigate through that file browser to the archive. idk how to fix it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
upgrade to winrar

if you install demo winrar you can still use all worthwhile functionality from the right click explorer menu without having to deal with the quite reasonable “buy winrar” button

the two functions that are worthwhile consist of

unpack contents in this very folder
or
unpack content into a specific folder

what else do you want ???

you never need to make an archive any more, who’s actually packing poo poo these days?

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Mar 22, 2022

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the only thing no one seems to have solved is to normalise unpacking a zip so if it’s loose files they go into a folder but if it’s a folder first it just dumps it as it is

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

chaosbreather posted:

i bought "you need a budget" for this reason and thankfully it continues to work ityool 2022. they upgraded to a subscription model and if it was cheap maybe i'd consider it but lol at spending like 15/mo on budget software with features i don't even want (no i'm not saving my bank password on your loving website ynab. lol. lmao.)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

why don’t you just give the app a read only api key to your banking service?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
what 7zip works great for me. i’ve never opened the actual program though i pretty much explicitly used it from the right click context menu

really tho since zips have been natively supported by windows mac and gently caress even ios now i don’t even bother with it anymore

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mediaphage posted:

what 7zip works great for me. i’ve never opened the actual program though i pretty much explicitly used it from the right click context menu

really tho since zips have been natively supported by windows mac and gently caress even ios now i don’t even bother with it anymore

i only use the app part when im downloading a zip or w/e and i want to just open it from firefox directly

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

fart simpson posted:

why don’t you just give the app a read only api key to your banking service?

lol api keys

banking in canada is basically a cartel. on top of not giving a poo poo about enabling third party services, if my bank determined i shared my username + pw and i got hacked and robbed in a completely unrelated way they will happily tell me to go gently caress myself

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

7zip is good

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Cold on a Cob posted:

banking in canada is basically a cartel.

the 2nd chapter of “imperialism: the highest stage of capitalism” starts out talking about this, but 100 years ago and in germany

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Captain Foo posted:

7zip is good

all it needs is shift-drag so you unzip and delete the zip when done

winrar does this

also pay mr roshal

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

fart simpson posted:

7zip works fine on my personal computer but on my work laptop when i try to open an archive it just opens the 7zip file manager into the my documents folder, and then i have to navigate through that file browser to the archive. idk how to fix it

Windows 7zip has two executables. One opens archives, and one launches the file-manager. Probably the wrong one is set as the default file handler for zips. I've set that wrong a bunch of times over the years by mistake.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Poopernickel posted:

Windows 7zip has two executables. One opens archives, and one launches the file-manager. Probably the wrong one is set as the default file handler for zips. I've set that wrong a bunch of times over the years by mistake.

oh my god

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Poopernickel posted:

i thought this might be the problem. i remember checking the file associations but couldn’t find the right executable i guess? idk I’ll check again tomorrow thanks

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

another free software success story, turns out fart simpson is just a bit bad at computers

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
7zip has choked on some disk image files which winrar took in its stride

i can’t have a program that works most of the time, and it’s not like by using 7zip you’re helping out some poor child or whatever. just use the tool that works

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
imagine downloading a disk image file and you try to open it and copy out the contents but your program
can’t copy them out successfully, so you think the archive is broken so you give up on the endeavour

this happened enough times that I wondered maybe winrar could open them? and it did, and it worked flawlessly

by using 7zip I had played myself

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

are you talking about an iso file? why wouldn't you just mount them with the os?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
look i’m more of a problems than an answers kind of guy

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
yeah isos have been natively supported in windows since what, 7?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think we can all agree that what is important here is that 7zip is an inferior choice for trying to open an .iso file

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

how often are you opening iso files?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

echinopsis posted:

I think we can all agree that what is important here is that 7zip is an inferior choice for trying to open an .iso file

i agree

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

happy we've gone into the "no one actually needs that functionality you idiot" phase of the defense of free software, have we figured out whether we're going into "works for me" with a time-wasting advice ("just build it from git!") next, or do we go straight to "i installed it on my grandmas computer and she loves it"?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

jokes on you my grandparents are dead.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Captain Foo posted:

anyway, paging rotor

its not that i find open sores projects to be bad software, it's that i find open sores development to be largely immoral.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

beggars cant be choosers, you wanna choose, do unpaid labor

i thought this was the gist of every free project. how has this changed besides maybe the docs being better?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
my 2 cents on the subject is that programmers and such are far more likely to think that free software is good because most of the free stuff is targeted at us, but generally i dont see a clear divide elsewhere.

One thing i will mention is that large open source projects like Krita and LinuxCNC and whatever are generally copies of successful software. Weirdly, open source software doesn't seem to be super innovative wrt that sort of thing.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i like the gimp

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Write your own software op

but also yes software sucks, especially if it's 'IN THE CLOUD'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i like the gimp

by perverts for perverts