Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

jesus christ i just want to buy a usb-c PCI-E card for two more ports and it's just dozens of questionable chinese companies that i swear are stealing boilerplate from eachother and probably use the same factory.

why does this suck so much

also why the gently caress can't i get more than two C ports or a front panel with just a bunch of ports.

SRQ fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
imo there’s a fake reviews problem but they’re still pretty spottable because the quality isn’t there yet. (i don’t think they’re using a ton of ml to generate these yet anyway)

between this and only buying things sold by amazon, i have a pretty good experience. it’s not 100% because sometimes amazon does shared bins for a product so you can get fakes but for something like the return policy is fine so like whatever just try one

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

SRQ posted:

jesus christ i just want to buy a usb-c PCI-E card for two more ports and it's just dozens of questionable chinese companies that i swear are stealing boilerplate from eachother and probably use the same factory.

why does this suck so much

also why the gently caress can't i get more than two C ports or a front panel with just a bunch of ports.

here in china there are services for setting up a storefront on amazon.com without having to do warehousing yourself. you'll be selecting what to sell from the exact same lists of crap that everyone else is using and they even have boilerplate descriptions you can copy/paste or slightly edit and suggested pricing

hth

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
having so many options to choose from is how you know you're living in a free country and if you don't like it then you can move to the soviet union

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

very carefully, op

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
get good

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
buy somewhere else

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

look up 'threshing machine' op

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Improbable Lobster posted:

buy somewhere else

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

there is little reason to buy anything on amazon anymore. everyone else offers free shipping, quick shipping, or brick and mortar pickup without the storefront making flea markets feel orginized

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

there is little reason to buy anything on amazon anymore. everyone else offers free shipping, quick shipping, or brick and mortar pickup without the storefront making flea markets feel orginized

it's super convenient, op

unfortunately lazy wins out

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

you dont, good luck

i have an orico usb pcie card and it works fine. hth.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

if you really like living on the edge there’s always wish

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

amazon is terrible and there's no getting around it these days. it's fine for some things but if you venture out of that space then RIP

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

just buy the CCIRBPS one with 5k 5 star reviews and a two day old seller account like everyone else

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

fart simpson posted:

here in china there are services for setting up a storefront on amazon.com without having to do warehousing yourself. you'll be selecting what to sell from the exact same lists of crap that everyone else is using and they even have boilerplate descriptions you can copy/paste or slightly edit and suggested pricing

hth

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/11/27/style/what-is-inside-this-internet-rabbit-hole.html

is it basically this kinda thing? i think about this article a lot and i'm pretty sure i've posted it a couple times before

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

i dont buy based on what computers tell me to get, i buy based on what people tell me to get. which is to say i bug everyone for recommendations until they get fed up and just tell me what to do

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

use Amazon Thresh, op

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i had to google to see if this was an actual aws thing or not

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

use Amazon Elastic Thresher, op

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
to recycle a joke from a friend, what idiot decided to call it Amazon Fresh and not Amazon Elastic Waistband

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
weird how amazon always sends me stuff with leaky batteries and has to refund me for everything i buy

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

You should seriously never use amazon.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i got some gift cards i gotta burn through but besides that i never buy stuff on amazon anymore

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

just buy one directly from an oem, op

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/usb-31-g2-pcie-card-2-type-c-ports-1dp-in-kit/apd/403-bbuh/pc-accessories

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

buy somewhere else

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Is startech still good? Maybe you could buy from them.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I've come full circle. I window shop at Amazon and buy it from either the manufacturer, CDW, or even Newegg (as long as Newegg is fulfilling [Yes I know about Gamer's Nexus things]).

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
ill buy Anker or Monoprice and pretty much nothing else.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

thebigcow posted:

Is startech still good? Maybe you could buy from them.

startech is almost always great quality but it's always markedly more expensive, if that matters

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
you get what you pay for

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

you get what you pay for

sometimes you do sometimes you dont

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

you get what you pay for

no. the correct phrasing is "you dont get what you dont pay for"

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

monoprice is still very good and useful, anker i've had more stuff break than the premium would suggest

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
I worked at a post production house a long time ago that did media transfer (digital to analog, etc), and every cable they used came from monoprice.

That was as good enough of an endorsement for me.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

if you work at a computer touching company or know someone who does, ask them who their parts supplier is - usually that supplier also has a webstore where plebs like you can order stuff from

or buy oem

return policies are cool but you want to get on with your life, not minmax 10 bucks off the price that you then lose forever by having to spend time doing the return jig

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

for computer parts i go to my local brick and mortar store or use newegg and sort by sold by new egg and shipped by new egg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

post hole digger posted:

for computer parts i go to my local brick and mortar store or use newegg and sort by sold by new egg and shipped by new egg.

are you a time traveler from the mid 2000s cause newegg sucks now and frys/compusa/everything thats not best buy are fuckin dead

i bought some weird bug zapper wand from monoprice on a whim and it was chintzy aliexpress crap that died after like 4 uses. was fun frying fruit flies while it lasted though, and the ethernet cables were still good, so vov

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 24, 2022