Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
https://twitter.com/normfinkelstein/status/1505510212584804352

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Norman Finkelstein Announces the completion of a new book?

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Dreylad posted:

Norman Finkelstein Announces the completion of a new book

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

Dreylad posted:

Please read the OP before posting.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Quotey posted:

Please read the OP before posting.

I did; it was unclear.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

FOREWORD TO NEW BOOK

MARCH 20, 2022

The subject of this book is the current political moment in which identity politics, cancel culture, and academic freedom loom so large. It originated in “A Letter on Justice and Open Debate” that Harper’s published in 2020. The letter, signed by prominent public intellectuals across the political spectrum, decried the excesses of cancel culture. In the ensuing controversy, my name cropped up, not, however, as a victim of cancel culture but, it was said, of corporate culture. My publisher at the time proposed that I join the debate with a short book. He anticipated, it seems, that I would decry the hypocrisy of the decriers of cancel culture, many of whom, it might fairly be supposed, reacted with indifference (if not glee) to my own cancellation. Hypocrisy was rife, for sure. But the indisputable fact remains that “woke” politics are intellectually vacuous and politically pernicious. I endeavor to demonstrate this in Part I by parsing the ur-texts of “woke” politics, and then by dispelling the dense mist that shrouds that ultimate “woke” product—the Obama cult. In Part II, I critically assess what’s become an article of faith in “woke” culture: that in the classroom a professor should teach only his own and not contending viewpoints on a controverted question; that he shouldn’t strive for “balance.” The last chapter of the book situates my own cancellation in broader perspective. It would be miraculous were my ego so invincible that I didn’t occasionally wonder whether my alleged incivility was valid grounds for denying me tenure and ultimately banishing me from academia. I therefore decided to probe, with the maximum judiciousness humanly possible, this question. If this book is laced with vitriol, that’s because so much of “woke” culture deserves contempt. If nonetheless a large amount of space is devoted to dissecting this nonsense, that’s because it’s not immediately obvious why it’s nonsense. Where, on the contrary, a historical or contemporary figure is deserving of reverence, it is duly accorded, and where an argument contains genuine content, it is treated with the measure of seriousness it warrants. Finally, a “trigger-warning” to readers: professional advance comment on this book has in the main been savage. A Henry Holt & Company senior vice-president said of the manuscript: “There’s altogether too much of everything in the book, too many digressions, too many quotes, too many illustrations, and most important too much score settling, often personal. So instead of an argument, there’s a tirade; instead of an analysis, there’s an attack.” In another bilious response, Tariq Ali of Verso said that the book is “incoherent” and “ineffective,” and then, in a seemingly desperate plea, implored me for my “own good” not to “throw a tantrum and be tempted by self-publishing.” It’s as if Franz Kafka and Max Brod in reverse: I want to publish my book; they want me to burn it for my “own good.” In any event, readers can decide for themselves whether the ensuing pages are devoid of argument, analysis, and coherence—or whether these rejection letters are just humdrum instances of cancel culture silencing too much truth when it touches too close to home.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
MAN FINKELSTEIN ANNOUNCES THE COMPLE
                         OF A NEW BOOK

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

ノーマン・フィンケルスタインが新しい本の完成を発表

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i think im gon na need a minute to proces this

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003
Didn't he become in part a "family court" guy about one of his friends?

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Announced, Norman Finkelstein's completed new book has been...

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Quotey posted:

FOREWORD TO NEW BOOK

MARCH 20, 2022

The subject of this book is the current political moment in which identity politics, cancel culture, and academic freedom loom so large. It originated in “A Letter on Justice and Open Debate” that Harper’s published in 2020. The letter, signed by prominent public intellectuals across the political spectrum, decried the excesses of cancel culture. In the ensuing controversy, my name cropped up, not, however, as a victim of cancel culture but, it was said, of corporate culture. My publisher at the time proposed that I join the debate with a short book. He anticipated, it seems, that I would decry the hypocrisy of the decriers of cancel culture, many of whom, it might fairly be supposed, reacted with indifference (if not glee) to my own cancellation. Hypocrisy was rife, for sure. But the indisputable fact remains that “woke” politics are intellectually vacuous and politically pernicious. I endeavor to demonstrate this in Part I by parsing the ur-texts of “woke” politics, and then by dispelling the dense mist that shrouds that ultimate “woke” product—the Obama cult. In Part II, I critically assess what’s become an article of faith in “woke” culture: that in the classroom a professor should teach only his own and not contending viewpoints on a controverted question; that he shouldn’t strive for “balance.” The last chapter of the book situates my own cancellation in broader perspective. It would be miraculous were my ego so invincible that I didn’t occasionally wonder whether my alleged incivility was valid grounds for denying me tenure and ultimately banishing me from academia. I therefore decided to probe, with the maximum judiciousness humanly possible, this question. If this book is laced with vitriol, that’s because so much of “woke” culture deserves contempt. If nonetheless a large amount of space is devoted to dissecting this nonsense, that’s because it’s not immediately obvious why it’s nonsense. Where, on the contrary, a historical or contemporary figure is deserving of reverence, it is duly accorded, and where an argument contains genuine content, it is treated with the measure of seriousness it warrants. Finally, a “trigger-warning” to readers: professional advance comment on this book has in the main been savage. A Henry Holt & Company senior vice-president said of the manuscript: “There’s altogether too much of everything in the book, too many digressions, too many quotes, too many illustrations, and most important too much score settling, often personal. So instead of an argument, there’s a tirade; instead of an analysis, there’s an attack.” In another bilious response, Tariq Ali of Verso said that the book is “incoherent” and “ineffective,” and then, in a seemingly desperate plea, implored me for my “own good” not to “throw a tantrum and be tempted by self-publishing.” It’s as if Franz Kafka and Max Brod in reverse: I want to publish my book; they want me to burn it for my “own good.” In any event, readers can decide for themselves whether the ensuing pages are devoid of argument, analysis, and coherence—or whether these rejection letters are just humdrum instances of cancel culture silencing too much truth when it touches too close to home.

Haters mad already drat, must be good

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
NORMAN FINKELSTEIN ANNOUNCES THE COMPLETION OF A NEW BOOK

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
What are these ur texts of wokery? Is critique of pure tolerance one?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Sounds like normo took a useful project and hosed it up by not listening to anyone the way greenwald did with whatever resulted in his break with the intercept

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Hey, one of my chicken nuggets is shaped exactly like NORMAN FINKELSTEIN ANNOUNCES THE COMPLETION OF A NEW BOOK

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

Gazpacho posted:

Sounds like normo took a useful project and hosed it up by not listening to anyone the way greenwald did with whatever resulted in his break with the intercept

(me, after reading a 1 paragraph foreword of the book in a something awful post): I've been able to diagnose exactly what's wrong with Professor Finkelstein's new book. And wouldn't you know it, it's exactly the same as what's wrong with some other random guy I don't like.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Finally, a “trigger-warning” to readers: professional advance comment on this book has in the main been savage.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

(me, after reading a 1 paragraph foreword of the book in a something awful post): I've been able to diagnose exactly what's wrong with Professor Finkelstein's new book. And wouldn't you know it, it's exactly the same as what's wrong with some other random guy I don't like.
Yeah

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

norman tinklestain

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

What is APJ Abdul Kalam’s reaction to norman finkelsteins announcement of the completion of a mew book?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Norman Wrinklebrains

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/normfinkelstein/status/1505526914114637827?s=20&t=80JuPZxnhN4DpfxFM4x8Dg

TABLE OF CONTENTS
Foreword

PART I IDENTITY POLITICS AND CANCEL CULTURE

1 Confessions of a Crusty, Crotchety, Cantankerous, Contrarian, Communist Casualty of Cancel Culture
2 Kimberlé Crenshaw Goes on a Safari
3 Ta-Nehisi Coates Demands Reparations, Sort of
4 Robin DiAngelo Kicks Karen’s Butt
5 Ibram X. Kendi’s Woke Guide to Who’s Hot and Who’s Not
6 Barack Obama’s “Neat Trick”
Conclusion to Part I

PART II ACADEMIC FREEDOM

Prefatory Note

7 Who’s Afraid of Holocaust Denial?
8 Do Pervs and Pinkos, Ravers and Rabble-Rousers Have a Right to Teach?
Conclusion to Part II

Acknowledgments

http://www.normanfinkelstein.com/table-of-contents/

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
YESSSSSS

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Editors: “Your book is bad. Try making it good instead”

A mad baby: “come read the book —they— never wanted to be published”

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

http://www.normanfinkelstein.com/advance-praise-from-famed-revolutionary-tariq-ali-of-verso-books/
Dear Norm:

Our three senior editors in London and NY, having read the book, are all in agreement that as written its incoherent and unpublishable. As a critique, it’s ineffective. Having read half of it, that is also my own view. It’s too ad hominem and too zany even for you. To be published it would have to be heavily edited or completely re-written. I don’t like writing this, but it is for your own good. We have been proud to publish you and have defended you strongly as has Colin both during his Verso days and later at OR Books. Please don’t throw a tantrum and get tempted by self-publishing. That would be very sad and ineffective. I would just re-think the project (whatever it is) and start afresh.

Many of your books are so methodical and precise—forensic in explaining an opponent’s thought and a devastating deconstruction– that we were all a bit taken aback by this one. It’s almost as if you’ve paralysed yourself. This does sometimes happen. Some successful authors once feted and acclaimed allow these vapours to lodge permanently in the brain and imagine that henceforth anything they write is automatically good. This is never the case. Please think again.

Tariq

Comrade Finkelstein’s reply:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZGwHtGBZJU

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

ELESH NORN ANNOUNCES THE COMPLEATION OF A NEW BOOK

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
A NEW BOOK ANNOUNCES THE COMPLETION OF NORMAN FINKELSTEIN

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

lol’ing imagining Tariq carefully editing his rejection letter knowing beyond certainty that it would provoke a tantrum and that it would be shared publicly in said tantrum

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Wtf he's been working on this the whole time?? My kid is still on my rear end about when the new Bovine Bari is coming out

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

QUEER FRASIER posted:

lol’ing imagining Tariq carefully editing his rejection letter knowing beyond certainty that it would provoke a tantrum and that it would be shared publicly in said tantrum

Norm's right to be messy, IMHO (it's good internet drama).

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

norm rules and i support his holy crusade against alan dershowitz

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

oh and he makes zionists/israeli apartheid supporters cry

that rules too

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDT78iA1iyo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

yellowcar posted:

norm rules and i support his holy crusade against alan dershowitz

It's great (not great I mean) that Dershowitz actually "cancelled" him and now he punctures the kayfabe of all the Bari grifters