Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Noelle Weiss, Commissioner and Widower posted:

Thank you all for your kind words. It feels like Oriole and I had nowhere near enough time together, and yet here I am, stepping into her shoes and taking her council seat. I would like to think I brought her a measure of happiness and comfort in the time we shared, in the wake of her long previous marriage to Thomas, of blessed memory. I would hope that I leave the state of law and order on our capital suitably acceptable, and I pledge the selfsame diligence I applied to that task to my new duties. Forgive my brevity, I trust you understand given recent events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
Teaser: update title. "Side Effects May Include Sweating, Chills, Muscle Aches, and Homicidal Insanity".

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

nweismuller posted:

Teaser: update title. "Side Effects May Include Sweating, Chills, Muscle Aches, and Homicidal Insanity".

That goes hard :allears:

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Checking on something with Mariko's player before processing images. I'll try to get all that done sooner than last time.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
As a very minor bonus, the visual representation by which the AI Polly chooses to represent itself:

E: Well, I'm an idiot, I already shared this. Ah well, let my idiocy be recorded for posterity.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 25, 2023

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

nweismuller posted:

As a very minor bonus, the visual representation by which the AI Polly chooses to represent itself:

E: Well, I'm an idiot, I already shared this. Ah well, let my idiocy be recorded for posterity.

Will Polly's self -image evolve?

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Xlorp posted:

Will Polly's self -image evolve?

It's not planned to. Unlike us humans, she's not going to die of age, and she remains forever young at heart.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

nweismuller posted:

It's not planned to. Unlike us humans, she's not going to die of age, and she remains forever young at heart.

Kinda heartwarming tbh :3:

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

nweismuller posted:

Does she have any pathway to become heir and eventual forever ruler of the guild?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

inflatablefish posted:

Does she have any pathway to become heir and eventual forever ruler of the guild?

Polly isn't actually a noble in the game mechanics, she's just an empire modifier. The image was just whipped up for funsies.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Ah, that makes sense. I was wondering if it was like the Crusader Kings horse people thing.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

EclecticTastes posted:

Polly isn't actually a noble in the game mechanics, she's just an empire modifier. The image was just whipped up for funsies.

As the attentive might be able to tell by the three gold stripes behind her image, the image was created by starting a new game and customising the starting ruler to look as I wanted.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

inflatablefish posted:

Ah, that makes sense. I was wondering if it was like the Crusader Kings horse people thing.

To be fair, the succession rules are also such that I don't think there's a path for anyone who wasn't born into the family to inherit. Given that Polly doesn't have any house of origin beyond House Weiss, it's possible that if she were a noble, she could inherit if literally the entire current line of succession were dead, which implies a situation where Polly's rule would likely fall drastically short of "eternal".

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Computer update failed due to graphics card non-functionality. Stuck with my old computer for now, but this means I'll have a decent chance to process images tomorrow.

E: The way succession laws work, the only way a hypothetical noble-equivalent Polly could become the ruler of House Weiss would be for us to specifically designate her as heir, which would be a major crime against our current heir and massively harm reputation for so doing. And presumably a noble-equivalent Polly would have an 'AI' trait that would itself penalise her reputation, given the general attitude towards AI in the colonies, which isn't exactly the most trusting. That said, it *would* be possible. Assuming she were modelled as a noble, rather than a House modifier. (And presuming the AI trait doesn't hard-disqualify her from being designated as heir.)

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Aug 27, 2023

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
If Romeo's and Oriole's posters want to claim replacement characters, we have a bunch of existing characters in place, as well as these newly adult (and in one case newly married in) House members:

Alex Weiss (nee Alex Pruitt), Liberty Weiss's wife, a former member of a minor House from Taygeta. Forgiving and Individualistic, and a decidedly inexperienced project manager for Administration.

Anna Weiss, Thomas and Oriole's youngest daughter. Charming, Brave, Honorable, and Intelligent, a young prodigy in Military and very highly regarded by all who know her. Not yet to the abilities of Geraldine or Carmen, but nobody has any doubt she'll eventually become one of the finest military leaders of the colonies.

Jayne Weiss, Noelle and Bella's second son and Anna's husband. Brave and Tribal, he has been assigned to Security, where he has yet to develop his full skills.

E: I'll work on uploading the rest of the images soon. Image organisation is nearly complete.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 31, 2023

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nweismuller posted:

Alex Weiss (nee Alex Pruitt), Liberty Weiss's wife, a former member of a minor House from Taygeta. Forgiving and Individualistic, and a decidedly inexperienced project manager for Administration.

I'll grab Alex, so I can run her and Liberty as a husband-wife pair. Mostly because I just had a flash of inspiration for a few storylines for them.

Plus, Ilario is at risk of shedding his mortal coil soon.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Is there some way we can stem this epidemic of Honorable characters? I'd hate to go the whole LP without assassinating anyone.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

EclecticTastes posted:

Is there some way we can stem this epidemic of Honorable characters? I'd hate to go the whole LP without assassinating anyone.

But I like being full of Honorable characters!

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

nweismuller posted:

Anna Weiss, Thomas and Oriole's youngest daughter. Charming, Brave, Honorable, and Intelligent, a young prodigy in Military and very highly regarded by all who know her. Not yet to the abilities of Geraldine or Carmen, but nobody has any doubt she'll eventually become one of the finest military leaders of the colonies.

I'd like to act as Anna, if you please. Oriole passed so suddenly and this can be my continuity.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Xlorp posted:

I'd like to act as Anna, if you please. Oriole passed so suddenly and this can be my continuity.

All right, Xlorp gets Anna and Revil gets Alex.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

nweismuller posted:

But I like being full of Honorable characters!

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
All right, images are sorted and uploaded, I'll see about writing sometime soon. Once the update hits, we're going to need to discuss a major commitment, which will need to tie up one of our competent Administration people for quite some time. And Military will no doubt have new concerns to share once they go over the latest Military report...

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

:sickos: :orks101: :getin:

I'm not expecting a full on "well we tried begging and bribing, time for beatings :black101:" or anything, but I suspect the galaxy's about to get a mite uncomfortable for some folks.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Man, been gone for a bit and a lot has happened! My boy finally inherited from his sister! Shame about Thomas and Oriole though.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

dervinosdoom posted:

Man, been gone for a bit and a lot has happened! My boy finally inherited from his sister! Shame about Thomas and Oriole though.

Glad to have you back. Feel free to pick up an unclaimed character if you'd like.

E: If it matters, Romeo changed the inheritance order for Ross 128 so that his youngest daughter Lucy is next in line for the Colonial Directorship of the colony, making her Romeo's heir-apparent.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Sep 7, 2023

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Melissa Enders, House Weiss Diplomacy officer working in propaganda, in internal report posted:

It's worth reviewing our overall propaganda strategy here to make sure we have a coherent message that's convincing and supportable. Obviously we celebrate any positive achievements of the House and of the Guild; that goes without saying, but we really should have an overarching message that says what House Weiss is to the general commoner population. As I see it, there's three messages we could be conveying, and we really should choose which we focus on.

First- we could simply emphasise that House Weiss is great and glorious. Our Director-General has overseen the growth of the Guild to sizes unprecedented in modern history, the Weiss League is larger than any other league since House Khalil fell, we've enjoyed victory in battle, we've reached out the hand of friendship to a great many Houses, all the familiar messaging of a growing state and league. This is simple and we certainly have enough material to work with if we approach it from that direction.
Second- we could emphasise House Weiss's work to create prosperity on Vega and beyond. Here we focus on how they've ended famines, ensured greater travel, given opportunity even to the serf class by expanding opportunities for promotion as they've spun up production facilities, restoration of hospitals, growth of the freeman class, industrial and agricultural statistics compared against points far enough in the past we're not getting swamped by moment to moment output fluctuations. We, of course, don't ignore the 'greatness' messaging, but we clearly subordinate it to how House Weiss is making sure even the humblest get clothed, fed, and housed, and how pursuing opportunity has allowed some people to advance themselves even further.
Third- we focus on how House Weiss has done more than any other House to understand and recover the wonders of the past. The habitat station in Miaplacidus, the terraforming messaging, how we're getting even AI to serve the House and the Guild. Push a message about the wonders and secrets we could yet discover from our heritage from ancient days. Get young officers enthused about pursuing careers in Technology. Again, such a strategy doesn't mean ignoring the general 'greatness' messaging, but it does mean subordinating the 'greatness' messages to the overall focus on recovering the past.

Get me feedback and pass this up to the Diplomacy Director for review.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Diplomacy Director, Mariko Weiss posted:

As much as I applaud our leader's efforts, and see the value in our technology department's tireless efforts in returning us to our past grandeur, I think option 2 is the clear path forward.

Showing the appeal of growth for all offers the most benefits here. The contributions of House Weiss to the quality of life for serfs and freemen is of clear benefit to stability and happiness of the people. The contributions of House Weiss to economic growth and wealth improving the influence and power of nobles, is of course, of clear benefit to the highest class. This angle is the simplest and most straightforward to pursue, without hinging the propaganda on one person and without leaning on highminded technological goal that some may not share.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Keir Weiss posted:

I'd argue, from my perspective, that House Weiss's greatness and majesty isn't necessarily strictly dependent on our current Director-General. We are still ruling the largest state and the largest league and have the enthusiastic support of vast numbers of Houses. Play up our imperial pomp to emphasise the greatness of the House, and we have a firm foundation to work upon. We can frankly outshine any of our competitors. For that matter, even leaving aside overall propaganda tactics, hosting a feast to impress our neighboring rulers might not be the worst thing, soon. It could help build some bridges and would certainly be good for House prestige.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ilario Weiss posted:

I cannot deny the prosperity that House Weiss has brought to Vega and to all of our vassals. It's true that the Weiss League is by far the largest in modern history, and that where the Director-General rules, prosperity follows, and much of that can be attributed to the hard work of both our former and current Executive Directors. Nonetheless, that is just money. There will always be more or less of it. There will be good times and bad. But the secrets of the past that we have unlocked are something far different from anything else. A series of military defeats can dethrone us from those positions of being the largest and richest league, as can wise management and growth of other leagues. That cannot be said for all that we have done to restore the past glory of humanity. The ring habitat is proof of that, but the greatest proof will be when we terraform a planet. Not since the Collapse has humanity lived freely in a planet, outside of a habitation module, that goal is what is truly great about House Weiss.

Liberty Weiss private message to Ilario Weiss posted:

Dearest Uncle,

It's not that I disagree with you; the project to terraform a planet shows the true majesty of the house. However, I was speaking with Alex my wife, and I think you underestimate just how the League has changed the prosperity of all of its vassals. That is something that hits far closer to home than a grand vision. I know we're blessed to live in the capitol, surrounded by these riches, but this prosperity is truly new to many of our vassals. Many of them were struggling, even on the verge of colony collapse. How many of them have we saved? How many were we able to bring out from the danger zone? Respectfully, I think it's best if we support how prosperous the House has made the League.

Sincerely,
Liberty

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Anna Weiss posted:

That's a lot of words there, and I'm glad I'm not in the Diplomatic Corps to have to digest such thin gruel daily.

The sweat of our laborers and the genius of our scientists are the path to the hopes of all of our children. Our achievements, be they recovered wonders, astonishing discoveries, or fruitful alliances, are the only advertisement we should make to the rest of the galaxy to join us in our enterprise. Creating the sound foundation of a better future is all that matters.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Noelle Weiss posted:

We should be cautious when it comes to claiming universal prosperity, in places that look to Vega with envy. Regional tweaks for disparate audiences, not one size fits all.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Sorry for delays, dealing with a lot of stress from various sources, not least some very unpleasantly tight finances right now. Hopefully I'll manage to get the focus to write back soon.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Well, crap. it looks like Steam didn't cloud my saves for Star Dynasties, and my long-overdue computer upgrade has come through. I am so sorry about this. I'll look into seeing if I can recover the saves from my old hard drive, but no guarantees.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That is terrible. Good luck pulling the saves.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Assuming I won't be able to pull the saves, I'm thinking what I should do next. Maybe I should check if Steam clouded the saves for nuMoO...

E: And that would be a great big 'no'. Argh again.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 6, 2023

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Guh! Sorry. Gotta say I loved this and all your 4x ones and worldbuilding

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

We got a freakin' 'historical' docudrama about a family. And periods of conquest purchased as cheaply as possible for the joint empowerment of all.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Excerpt from recovered surveillance camera audio, council chamber corridor 37-B; Subect: Malachi Weiss posted:

...So I just press this button to delete unwanted confes- I mean, audio? No trace that a technician could possibly recover?

(inaudible)

It uses experimental pre-collapse what? What in blazes even is a tachyon? Never mind. Spare me your technobabble, Yeardley, time to deal with those pesky audio logs once and for-

(static; recording ends)

Here's hoping that you can recover the save from your old HDD, but if not, I suppose it's appropriate that we were defeated by the only thing capable of doing so: the total destruction of the universe.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Wow, that sucks :(

I hope you can recover, this is an incredible LP. And we were reasonably close to getting a potentially terraformable planet...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
May be a week or two until I can recover saves. In the meantime...

Interstellar Authority internal report, late 22nd century posted:

... resources being increasingly strained by covering separatist movements in extra-Solar colonies. Despite dependence upon Earth and upon League resources for colonial support, the rise of colonial movements opposed to the taxation and administration schemes by League nations is escalating. Although the star fleet maintained by the League remains the first disincentive to outright secession, nonetheless it is not sufficient to interdict acts of sabotage and terror, nor to avoid mass underruns in tax collections in noncompliant populations. It remains the responsibility of the Interstellar Authority to enforce League policy and control across the colonies, which necessitates effective investigation and neutralisation of anti-authority groups in order to maintain the peace thus far...

NovaCorp secured files, League military contracts, late 22nd century posted:

PROJECT FENRIS - not for dissemination

Vega Today, late 22nd century posted:

... yesterday's bombing of the NovaCorp Vega Research Hospital is now believed to have been the work of Free the Stars, a separatist organisation that claimed responsibility in a statement...

Public announcement, Vega, 2199 posted:

In the current state of emergency and by the authority of Colonel Gerald Goodman, the colony of Vega is, EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY, now in a state of martial law. Colonial Governor James Eaton has been ordered to stand down from his position and Interstellar Authority troops are moving to ensure order. All citizens are ordered to COMPLY IMMEDIATELY with all instructions by Interstellar Authority officers. Interstellar Authority officers have been granted authority to take all measures up to and including deadly force to ensure compliance. A rationing regime...

Public announcement, mid-23rd century posted:

In recognition of their wise rule over Vega and colonies surrounding, and in the name of Archon Aisha Khalil, let it hereby be known that the honor of the title of kingship shall be the property in perpetuity of the line of Frederick Goodman, passing to his lawful heirs, that the League of Colonies and the peace it has established might endure...

E: I thought a few snippets of historical context might be interesting, and curious if anybody has any thoughts about these snippets.

E: I accidentally offset dates by a century. Now fixed.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 14, 2023