Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Ooh, this can go on! HOpe you didn't lose too much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.

Orion Industries Vega branch security briefing, 2200 posted:

... should not directly confront Interstellar Authority peacekeepers in the colony at large. That said, the Regional Director wants our properties in the colony not to be expropriated by the new emergency government, and is trying to establish contact with other Regional Directors elsewhere in the absence of the home office at Earth, so if the IA bullyboys overstep themselves on our grounds be assured that you will be backed up. Things are getting worse but Orion's still keeping us fed while everything goes to Hell, so as far as I'm concerned we are staying loyal to Orion. We're still working on assembling rifles and body armor for most Security personnel, but training on the heavier equipment will continue for all of you. For now we're having existing heavy units handling frontlines operations with standard security officers as backup. If we see a reinstatement of elected government and an end to martial law while keeping order in the colony, I'll be happy to see things return to as normal as they can be with Earth just gone, but for now, we are on an emergency footing just as much as the IA.

Vega Interstellar Authority security briefing, 2201 posted:

... haven't been able to prevent Free the Stars from seizing control of portions of the colony, and rooting them out entirely will cost us, so the current word from Colonel Goodman is that we're treating Free the Stars turf as no-go areas. Our old friend Jennifer Fardell looks to have shaken out as their current leader, and she's been extorting tribute from the colonists in Free the Stars controlled zones to feed and supply her little band of malcontents. Even if we could shut down life support cleanly only to their zones, that would cause a panic rush into places we hold, and we've got a worrying indication that she's managed to come to an understanding with the old Governor's loyalists. We've all been on short rations and we've lost a lot of our own colonists to that last flu outbreak given the issues with malnourishment, but the Colonel has the program to try and set up new hydroponics anywhere we can fit them and retraining some of the colonists on that. Hopefully that means we get the food supply stable before we're all dead...

Queen Rachel Goodman of the Goodman Kingdom, late 23rd century, public speech posted:

It was the promise of House Khalil that they would ensure peace and safety for us all in the League of Colonies founded after we survived the terrible years of the Collapse, but House Khalil has now failed in that duty. The Goodman Kingdom will stand alone, and by our strength we will protect our borders and punish any who would try us! We once again live in an era of war, but I promise you, the Goodman Kingdom will not fall, and we will prevail! Those who test the will of House Goodman do so at their peril!

Records from the 24th century are extremely sparse, the savagery and constant warfare of the Dark Age having led to lacksadaisical, at best, establishment of new records and the loss of many existing records in colonies devastated by wars and raids, although enough remains to be certain that the Goodman Kingdom endured in one form or another to the 25th century as the modern era began to take shape. The exact extent of the Goodman Kingdom over the course of the 24th century is uncertain, but by the early 25th century- in 2417- we have documentary evidence that the Goodman Kingdom held control over Vega, Beta Eridani, Kapteyn's Star, and Miaplacidus at this point, informally considered the beginning of the 'modern' Goodman Kingdom. Kajam only joined the Goodman Kingdom in 2497 during the reign of King Emmanuel Goodman, following the unconditional surrender of the pocket state that held the colony when a fleet assembled by the four colonies of the Kingdom arrived after a sneak attack by Emmanuel Goodman.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 15, 2023

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
House Nichols (the birth House of Oriole Weiss), according to House legend, is descended from a military officer who took control of a portion of Vega colony during the collapse. House Kelley (the birth House of Romeo Weiss), according to its House legend, originated at Kapteyn's Star, but was displaced from its original properties as House Khalil's League of Colonies was in the process of collapsing and took refuge in Vega colony, where it remained relatively impoverished in assets compared to other minor Houses of the colony, but still controlled some local hydroponics. The advancement of House Kelley to baronial stature thus represents a great reversal in its fortunes. With House Weiss descended from the Orion Industries executive staff at Vega and House Goodman descended from the Interstellar Authority colonel who took control of the colony during the Collapse, this covers the primary Houses of Vega that contributed members to House Weiss in these last generations.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Sorry, it's taken a little bit to get a chance to extract my saves, and we're going to have to wait a bit longer! As I am travelling to visit with Polly's poster over a hunk of this month. That said, please feel free to ask me for more filler material or discuss what we have, to soothe my guilt at having taken so terribly long, hah.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

I want to know how cultural festivals evolved in the post-Collapse timeline. What are the important social rituals and milestones now?

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Well, as previously noted, the Festival and Feast of the Lord Christ are important annual observances; on Vega, the Director-General's Birthday has been extended as an official celebration from the old traditionr of the King's Birthday. Celebration of births, marriages, and majorities, on a more personal level, are big deals. At age six, 'formal education', such as it is, starts for nobles and officers- and that's when serfs are expected to start apprenticing in skills they'll need for their later work. Age six is also when people first swear oaths to their lord- and, for nobles, to their House. These oaths are reaffirmed on majority, and new House oaths are sworn by nobles who marry out into a new House. There's also public festivals held, to some extent, alongside the hosting of the major feasts modelled as feasts in the game, although the bulk of the celebration there is still noble-facing.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Given that General Revil got himself banned, Ilario and Liberty are now free for claiming. A pity to lose one of our active players, but so it goes. In other news, hoping to get saves pulled sometime after Thanksgiving; I have returned from a very nice visit with Vee. Any questions by anybody while I work on getting all my ducks in a row?

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

What kinds of curses do Archons have to describe vassals who simply cannot stop making trouble with their neighbors? Spend megabux to put a new coat of paint on all the installations in a system, then some dangnabbit varmint goes and raids it down to uninhabitable.

That's when I wish I had some quick and easy vaporizer ray gun.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Xlorp posted:

What kinds of curses do Archons have to describe vassals who simply cannot stop making trouble with their neighbors? Spend megabux to put a new coat of paint on all the installations in a system, then some dangnabbit varmint goes and raids it down to uninhabitable.

That's when I wish I had some quick and easy vaporizer ray gun.

Honestly, if we've truly devolved back into medieval Catholicism, where the hell is the Space Pope to denounce wars between Christian nations? If I had any real gripe for the developer, it would be that there needs to be some way for a liege to directly punish vassals for attacking each other.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

The One True Space Pope can be found in the Avignon system

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

EclecticTastes posted:

Honestly, if we've truly devolved back into medieval Catholicism, where the hell is the Space Pope to denounce wars between Christian nations? If I had any real gripe for the developer, it would be that there needs to be some way for a liege to directly punish vassals for attacking each other.

Oh, I'd love a way to clamp down on internal raiding, which is a massive headache.

On the subject of 'Space Catholicism', though- given that the game doesn't simulate religious figures as independent agents with their own independent power base, I chose to depict religious authority as decentralised and centered in pastors subordinate to local nobility. Insofar as religion has political power in Star Dynasties, it's not because there's a powerful church getting directly involved in politics, it's because there's a common understanding of religious morality that helps inform the honor system and what is understood as crimes. 'Churchmen' are members of the officer class directly subordinate to the House employing them, or freemen ministering to the commons as their own vocation and with strictly local influence.

This makes the relation between religious and secular authority actually closer to (but not really the same as) medieval Islam than to medieval Catholicism.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Still stuck on recovering my saves, but here's wishing you all a happy Festival of the Lord Christ, and a wish that colony life support stays functional wherever you are.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

My true love gave to me ... Five Gold Ringworlds!

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
So, I haven't been able to raise my friend to recover my saves yet, and I'd like to poll my readers if I should keep trying, or think about launching a new LP.

Vee2003
Jul 12, 2018

"In retrospect, flying into the black hole may have been a tactical error."
I vote continue.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Please continue! It would be such a shame to lose this LP and all the amazing characters you and the readers created.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Terraform or bust!

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
I'm cool with waiting for the saves to be brought back, we're way too rich to give up now!

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
If it can actually reasonably be done, take your time. But if it can't, no reason to obsess over it.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Theantero posted:

If it can actually reasonably be done, take your time. But if it can't, no reason to obsess over it.

Essentially this.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Sorry for delays, but I think I can recover my data this evening. Fingers crossed. In celebration, I give you...

Noble Education Topics

Before reaching their majority at age 16, noble children are expected to study a wide range of skills, generally considered within the five traditional departments of a noble government, and overseen in general by the Technology department of their House. Technology itself directly oversees literacy, computer operation, basic sciences, and first aid, as well as general astrography both within the local system and as it applies to the wider spread of the jump lanes. Administration generally covers mathematics, basic logistics and accounting, the fundamentals of base operations, and an introduction to repair engineering as practised in the colonies. Military covers fleet and peacekeeper tactics, piloting, and instruction with longarms. Diplomacy covers an introduction to Houses important to the House of the child and their heraldry, comportment, rhetoric, propaganda, and the basics of law and honor codes. Finally, Security covers combat training with hand, pistol, and knife, situational awareness, and the fundamentals of information hygiene to avoid spilling privileged information. A child being prepared for a specific department might study a bit more deeply, but, in general, nobles who have newly reached their majority generally do not have deep training even in the department they join, but a broad base of training expected to prepare them for operating successfully as a noble, and are expected to undergo extensive on the job training and learning through hands-on experience.

House Weiss in particular has a generally rigorous Administration program, teaching members of House Weiss to think in terms of cost-effectiveness, marginal productivity, and opportunity cost, which has helped create the internal House culture that has been very good at operating profitably and efficiently compared to most other Houses. By the time a young noble has reached adulthood, most Houses will have the young noble habitually carrying a sidearm pistol, wearing the House badge (a small viridium badge in the shape of the House crest), carrying their own pocket terminal linked to the central colony computer systems, and carrying a purse with their own personal sum of viridium marks needed for personal expenses with independent craftsfolk and traders. House Weiss is no exception in this regard.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Mar 4, 2024

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Saves transferred, but Star Dynasties appears to be choking on loading them. Working on diagnosing the problem. I'll keep you posted.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Really enjoyed this, looking forwards to you continuing it if things permit! If not, thanks for running a great LP (as all of them are) with amazing worldbuilding

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

nweismuller posted:

Saves transferred, but Star Dynasties appears to be choking on loading them. Working on diagnosing the problem. I'll keep you posted.

Restoring the greatness of our forebearers is the only task worthy of our efforts

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Glen helped me track down the problem; I had an experimental beta involving AI chat active on my old machine and never bothered to revert to the standard version, and that broke save compatibility. I have just updated my install on this machine to use the experimental beta, and can review the game state in preparation for an update shortly.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
In preparation for the coming update, I'd appreciate people who need private departmental reports to remind me what they're expecting so I'm sure not to miss anybody.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

nweismuller posted:

In preparation for the coming update, I'd appreciate people who need private departmental reports to remind me what they're expecting so I'm sure not to miss anybody.

I'm just waiting on the financials, myself.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
I've started work on the new update, but progress has been slowed by massive headache. Still, I'll try to finish up within the week.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Go you nweis! Take your time.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

In galactic news, the mysterious temporal anomaly that has held us all in stasis for months has finally lifted. You are all free once again to raid and pillage as usual.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
So I dithered in writing over the past week, and was planning to work on things this weekend, forgetting that I was on the hook to watch my parents' house and cats over the next couple of weeks. No writing, just obedience to adorable kitty-cat whims, until I return.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Yay cats!

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

I for one welcome our Mrrshan overlords

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
I am still indulging kitty-cat whims and away from my computer, but that doesn't stop me from discussing...

Coriolis Sickness

Long experience with spin gravity in habitats has revealed a hazard of spin gravity unanticipated to the first colonial architects. The low diameter of colonial habitats compared to the speed needed to spin to generate higher G forces results in a significant Coriolis force, often strong enough to notice at any given time. With strong enough Coriolis, nausea is immediate. The effects of heightened Coriolis forces over extended periods of time were slower to be discovered. Even Coriolis forces too subtle to be consciously noticed, if compounded over weeks and months, will eventually lead to failure in the inner ear leading to loss of balance and to chronic nausea as the effects compound over time. Colonial architects adapted by reducing spin for stations reliant on spin gravity and reserving the 'highest'/innermost layers of spin colonies for functions that required minimal extended human occupancy- long-term storage, maintenance spaces, and the like. As such, deep space installations are all under significantly lower G forces than humans have evolved for, requiring a steady regimen of exercise to ensure proper health. Some colonies have populations on larger planetary bodies with gravity close to 1 G, although those colonies, of course, pay for the comfortable gravity for the inhabitants with larger fuel transfer costs for shipping.

New cases of Coriolis sickness continue to crop up in the more overcrowded colonies, and even the most ignorant of serfs are aware the innermost portions of a spin station are 'cursed'. Even fear of a curse, however, will not stop people from living wherever they can manage in a colony whose habitation space has been stressed to the limit. Although the nobility never has to worry about suffering Coriolis sickness themselves, as the nobility reserves prime portions of their holdings for their own habitation, it is nonetheless felt harshly by the serfs when an extended noble House claims a larger portion of a colony to make new living space. House Weiss has largely avoided pushback by virtue of their restorations providing additional colonial living space, and their revenues from the many vassals of House Weiss letting them relocate a small fraction of the less valuable serf populations involved in local subsistence activities to other colonies in more need of labor.

The restoration of a portion of the massive ring station at Miaplacidus promises a safety valve for populations across a wide swath of the Weiss Guild, letting the least productive portions of the serf labor forces from crowded colonies settle in a new colony with the space to accept many extra hands and put them to work- even if the added output from one additional miner in the rich ore fields of Miaplacidus is limited, nonetheless each additional worker is providing a profit to the local nobility, and enough new workers can be settled there to add up to a significant increase in output.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 14, 2024

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
I'm back from catsitting, and have completed Rogue Trader, removing a major source of current distraction. Rogue Trader is a very good game! I'll try to buckle down to write later today.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Side Effects May Include Sweating, Chills, Muscle Aches, and Homicidal Insanity

Before the first half of 2532 was through, Director-General Jane Weiss released the information that Governor-General Gualtier White had been behind the covert spread of dissent on Tseen in the past. With this crime now public, injured parties could begin to take action to pursue justice for it.

Later in the same year, Rebecca Weiss completed her work to restore a shuttle factory to operation at Saiph, helping ensure a solid economic base for a colony only recently added to the Weiss Guild.

The Lindsey League, which had long occupied space at the Weiss League's borders, met its final dissolution in the latter half of 2532. The O'Neal Coalition, the last remaining vassal state of the Lindsey League, was bribed with two hundred thousand marks in money and materials to sever ties with the Lindsey League and swear loyalty to the Shannon League, leaving the Lindsey Coalition isolated and leaving Duchess Juliet Lindsey intensely aware of her vulnerable position.

When House Weiss sent emissaries to the Lindsey Coalition following this event to discuss the possibility of the Lindsey Coalition becoming a member state of the Weiss League, Duchess Juliet Lindsey was not unwilling, but held out for the Lindsey Coalition being granted rule of the colony of Alhena as the condition of the Lindsey Coalition joining the league. When these conditions were reported to the Director-General, Jane agreed, with a stroke of the pen bringing a fifth member state into the Weiss League, even if the loss of Alhena from the Weiss Guild proper was a steep price to pay.

Upon joining with the Weiss League, Duchess Juliet Lindsey promptly laid the responsibility of seeking justice for Duchess Nomlanga O'Neal's betrayal upon Director-General Jane Weiss, her new liege. Jane, for her part, submitted a formal petition to Duchess Lilli Shannon, archon of the Shannon League, charging Lilli Shannon with the responsibility of exacting justice upon her own vassal. With this petition, the demands of honor on Jane were satisfied.

During a routine journey within Vega to some of the outlying installations of the colony, the shuttle carrying Jane Weiss, Rebecca Weiss, and Prudence Weiss had a minor engine malfunction. All three worked together to restore the shuttle to functionality, and were able to complete the journey with minimal disruption- along with a newfound respect by Prudence for the House's heir, Rebecca.

Jayne Garcia, the eldest son of Bella Garcia and her husband Noelle, came of age during the latter half of 2532. He was a brave young man prepared by training to follow his father into Security while he waited for Thomas' daughter Anna to come of age, their eventual marriage now considered all but certain.

Vanida Weiss's ongoing efforts to establish spies and informants in the colony at Sigma Draconis began to bear some fruit in late 2532, as she began to identify a network of investigators and Security operatives in place on the colony answering to the local baroness. A program of subversion through cutouts and falsified information soon had the Security department for House Roth tying itself in knots pursuing suspects of involvement in an entirely non-existent pirate band supposedly operating in hiding at Sigma Draconis. When it finally became clear that local Security was chasing phantoms, Constable Lamis Roth was forced to begin a full review of her department and reassess priorities, buying time for Vanida's spy network to continue to nestle deeper into the fabric of Sigma Draconis' society.

Duke Hayden Roach, husband to Jane's sister Jessica, was briefly able to take advantage of the civil war within the Anderson League, releasing a prisoner belonging to House Farrell in exchange for the allegience of the Farrell Federation. It proved that this ambitious step was not to last. The Farrell Federation home colony of Beta was conquered by the Le Colonies in early 2533, bringing the civil war to an end with a victory for the loyalists- although a victory that greatly increased the power of the Le Colonies relative to the ruling state, the Anderson Collective. Duchess Adalia Le's husband, Baron Job Le, who had inherited rule of House Roach's home colony of Atlas from the new baroness installed as its ruler when the Anderson Collective conquered Atlas eight years previously, swiftly broke away from the Roach Colonies to join with the Le Colonies, while the remaining colony of the Farrell Federation, Elmuthalleth, rebelled from the Roach Colonies to found a short-lived single-colony state, the Anderson Sector. The Roach Colonies were reduced to a state of two colonies, inconveniently separated by Atlas.

Following these disastrous setbacks, Duke Hayden Roach swiftly agreed to swear fealty to House Weiss, bringing the Roach Colonies in as a fifth member state of the Weiss League. Although the Roach Colonies and Lindsey Coalition remained at war with one another, they nonetheless were bound by oaths to the League to present a united front against external threats, helping secure both those states.

House Weiss Administration's effort to repair a portion of the ring station at Miaplacidus, restoring the urban centers there to function and allowing the colony there to host a larger population, was finally completed in the early part of 2533. Malachi Weiss, who had been serving as the project manager for the repair effort, returned home to the congratulations of the remainder of Administration for his part in bringing this great work of pre-Collapse humanity back into operation.

Malachi's celebration was tempered by the fact that his parents, Romeo and Prudence Weiss, were departing from Vega to take permanent residence at Ross 128. With the death of Romeo's sister Devon, Romeo had inherited the colonial directorship of Ross 128, and was leaving with his wife to claim his inheritance. On Romeo's arrival at Ross 128, one of his first acts was to proclaim a new order of inheritance for the colony, one in which the ruler's youngest child inherits first. This left his daughter Lucy as his heir-apparent.

In the wake of Prudence's departure, Director-General Jane Weiss appointed her niece Emily Weiss as House Weiss's new Technology Director, taking over Prudence's previous duties. As Emily was, by this point, a person of truly remarkable skill in the sciences, this was accompanied by no negative impact on the efficiency of Technology for the House. As a new member of the House Weiss council, Emily assumed the duties of taking her own son Anthony as a ward, picking up where Prudence left off in assisting Anthony's education.

The early part of the year brought a request by the Lindsey Coalition to take control of Nashira. Director-General Jane Weiss, who had already traded away a colony to Juliet Lindsey, had no intention of surrender further Weiss Guild territory, and turned down the request out of hand.

The older of Malachi and Geraldine's two children, Adam Weiss, reached his majority near the midpoint of 2533. A marriage to Duchess Phyliss Simpson, ruler of the Simpson Alliance and archon of the Simpson League, was swiftly arranged, as Phyliss' last marriage had evidently ended, although details were unclear at this far remove. Still, given Phyliss' reputation as courageous, forthright, honorable, and smoothly adept at social graces, it was hoped that not only would this marriage be an advantageous tie to a ruler of high rank, but a happy one for Adam. Word soon reached Vega after the marriage that Phyliss and Adam had fallen deeply in love with one another, proving the wisdom of this match.

As this marriage was arranged, Leslie Weiss petitioned the Director-General for permission to try for a fourth child with Emily. This petition was refused, as allowing another child to them would smack of favoritism.

Shortly after the midpoint of 2533, the war prosecuted by the McCoy League against the Weiss League, which had seen little action for some time, was generally concluded by the colonies at large to be over. The Weiss Guild settled down with its new gains, secure against the threat of new military action on that front.

Rebecca, meanwhile, completed the restoration of a ship components factory at Algorab, providing another source of parts for the manufacture of new ships or repair of existing ones, and helping stabilise the economic situation in the new colonies recently captured on the borders of the McCoy League.

The Anderson Sector, after only half a year, agreed to dissolve itself as an independent state and join as a constituent colony of the O'Neal Coalition. With this, the final fallout of the civil war within the Anderson League was resolved, with the Anderson League having gained Atlas and lost Elmuthalleth and with the Anderson Collective itself reduced to control of a single colony, the other four colonies of the league now part of the Le Colonies.

By the end of 2533, tensions had escalated within the House Weiss council, with Rebecca setting herself as the first of the council, expecting to be obeyed in the absence of contravening orders from the Director-General. Jane, when the matter was brought to her attention, chose to support her heir, saying that the council would need to have the habit of obedience to Rebecca when Jane was finally gone.

Both Duke Zbigniew Wang of the Cervantes Alliance and Duchess Juliet Lindsey attempted to request control of Saiph from the Weiss Guild, but, predictably, was rebuffed- the Weiss Guild had gone to great effort to make those territorial advances, and Director-General had no interest in surrendering her gains.

Meanwhile, the Director-General addressed her duty to deliver justice by passing on a demand for justice against Baron Shaman Ibarra of Delta Pavonis by Baron Mihaly Ferrell of Beta Eridani to Duke Landon Garrett of the Garrett Confederation. With this, the responsibility was no longer in her hands, and instead was with somebody in a better position to do anything about it.

A crew of smugglers attempting to establish operations on Vega attempted to seize Allen and Vanida's son, George, as negotiating leverage against House Weiss, hoping to establish inroads on a well-governed colony. This proved to be a fatal mistake, as House Weiss Security responded swiftly and ruthlessly to secure George and deal with the smugglers, with little concern for taking any of the hostage-takers alive. George was recovered with no more injury than a few bruises and an empty stomach- unlike his captors, none of whom escaped with their lives after a swift raid by the elite Security agents carrying on the tradition of excellence first instilled in them by Bella Garcia.

A petition by Lucy and Harold Weiss to attempt for another child was granted before 2533 was out, with the Director-General still confident House Weiss could support more members. With God's blessing, perhaps another child would be born to them to brighten their lives and help lay the foundation for House Weiss's future.

Near the end of 2533, House Weiss identified a small science outpost in the uncolonised system of Unukalhai, one jump from Alsciaukat. Director-Consort Mariko Weiss requested permission to join the Technology team sent to investigate this outpost, a request which her wife willingly granted- although Mariko had little expertise in technology, Jane had no doubt of her loyalty, and Jane was confident the Technology team would be able to handle the necessary analysis work. If nothing else, it might prove educational for her wife.

When Mariko returned, her entire manner had changed. Mariko, known for her kindness and gentleness, harshly demanded that Jane join her on a return to the science outpost. 'What we found made me stronger,' Mariko insisted. 'It can do the same for you.' Jane, concerned for this sudden change in her beloved wife, agreed to go with her, if for no other reason than to see what had brought such a change about.

What the Director-General found there was a thing of nightmares. A pre-Collapse NovaCorp research station had apparently been gutted by its own staff, stalking and hunting each other through the corridors of the station, leaving behind graffiti boasting of the superiority of strength or intelligence. Fixtures had been ripped out by main force with strength beyond human limits, used to brutally bludgeon victims now dessicated in vacuum, while other people were found dead from cunningly engineered traps or ruthless ambushes. At the heart of the laboratories, there was a machine, with instructions promising that a single injection a month would lead to augmentation in bravery or intellect. Mariko, in her initial visit, had already taken nearly a dozen injections.

It was clear to Jane that the augmentation injections NovaCorp had developed had driven the staff of this station mad and led to their destruction, and that her own wife had become a victim of this madness. She ordered her protective detail from Security to destroy the machine, not wanting to risk any further victims. This immediately enranged Mariko, who fumed the entire journey back to Vega. Jane, in her view, had spoiled the most precious gift she could have offered.

Mariko continued to be belligerent and argumentative after their return to Vega, with steadily increasing tensions between her and Jane and with servants and officers scurrying to steer clear of Mariko's now explosive wrath. Her innate gentleness was gone, replaced by a violent temper that could be triggered at the slightest provocation and a brash disregard of consequences.

Jane took some refuge in helping Salome, her ward and the next in line to the Directorship-General after Rebecca, gain full access to House Weiss archives to further her studies. Salome had been developing a great interest in military history, and was eagerly devouring any account she could find of fleet actions performed in the colonies.

Although the White Federation had been a member state of the Weiss League for 22 years, the fact that it had joined the Weiss League by breaking faith with the Patton Quadrant after being granted to the Patton Quadrant by the Shannon Collective still left the legality of its membership dubious, with the Shannon League retaining a stronger claim. Lilli Shannon attempted to request that the Weiss League transfer the White Federation to the Shannon League, but was rebuffed- the White Federation was the first vassal state of the Weiss League, and one that Jane was confident would soon be generally recognised as a legitimate member of the Weiss League.

As the Roach Colonies had been brought into the Weiss League, this brought the colony at Capella ultimately under the control of House Weiss- and Capella had been one of the systems identified with a planet suitable for terraforming. The terraforming ship, restored to a limping functionality, began its long journey to Capella, ready to begin the epic task of reshaping a world for human habitability.

Paulus Weiss, the young second son of Malachi and Geraldine, although too young to have any great understanding of the issues, nonetheless was influenced deeply by rumors circulating amongst officers and minor nobility at Vega. Despite any assurance from his kin, Paulus began to become convinced that Jane was simply a crazy woman to pursue the dream of terraforming.

The terraforming ark managed, somehow, to survive its journey, but the ancient vessel was taxed to its limits and would never again stir from orbit around the planet chosen for terraforming in Capella. To even begin the process, the delivery of massive amounts of supplies from across the Weiss League would be required, with the logistics needed to be coordinated by House Weiss Administration.

As 2534 began, the McCoy Dominion attempted to request control of Beta Eridani- a colony that had been part of the Weiss Guild from the very beginning. Meanwhile, a destructive revolt spearheaded by Lord Kuron Novak on Tseen erupted and was put down, but not without forcing the abandonment of several sections of the colony at Tseen. Once again the hard-won prosperity of Tseen was knocked down, leaving the colony in a precarious position.

Jane and members of her House were invited to a feast early in 2534, held by Duke Tumo Calderon in honor of his sister, Aria McCoy. Oriole participated in the tournament and fought well, accidentally injuring one of her opponents and reaching the final matches of the tournament before her defeat. Jane's party departed in good spirits, but this was not to last.

On the journey back, Oriole's heart gave out at the age of 58, leaving her family in a state of mourning. On Jane's return to Vega, she promoted her widower Noelle Weiss from Senior Investigator at Vega to the new Commissioner in place of his deceased wife. Noelle had now outlived a second wife, following the premature death of Bella Garcia and the natural death of Oriole Weiss. All four of Oriole's daughters were devastated, even Baron-Consort Alice Porter, who had been living at Hyadum for half her life.

As Oriole passed on, her grandson Liberty, Emily's oldest child, reached his majority, being recruited into House Weiss's Technology department as his aptitudes suggested. He quickly had a marriage arranged with Alex Pruitt, a young woman likewise just to her majority from a minor House in Taygeta, on the border between the Lamb Clan and Garrett Confederation. Alex took up her own part as the most junior noble of House Weiss Administration.

With Duke Hayden Roach now under Director-General Jane Weiss's authority, Director-General Jane Weiss was charged with delivering justice for his murder of the head of a minor House and for his attempted unseating of the ruler of Elmuthalleth. The Director-General levied a total of eighty thousand marks in fines against her sister's brother, effectively addressing these charges.

Meanwhile, an attempt by Jane to deliver justice for the secession of the O'Neal Coalition from the Lindsey League proved to have come to nothing, as Lilli Shannon had failed to take any action. Jane, at least, had fulfilled her responsibilities, and did her best to set the matter out of her mind.

In a routine diplomatic visit by Baroness Tatiana Clay of Nusakan, maintaining relations to the Weiss Guild despite its position in the Garrett Confederation, the Baroness found herself caught in a long, friendly conversation with Rebecca Weiss. Although this led to no fundamental shift in House Weiss's diplomacy, it nonetheless helped ensure strong relations to the closest neighboring ruler.

Soon after Tatiana Clay departed for her return to Nusakan, the growing tension between Jane and Mariko came to a head. Mariko battered her way into the throne room, catching Jane with no nearby Security agents and shouting for Jane's death. Jane immediately ducked into cover and cut the lights to the throne room, slipping to evade Mariko until Jane could get the drop on her in the darkness. After several knife thrusts, Mariko was incapacitated and in danger of death, at which point Jane had her hurried to medical treatment.

Despite how close Mariko came to death, she made a full recovery within a matter of weeks, the savage vitality granted her by the ancient NovaCorp serum accelerating her healing. Over the course of the recovery, the last of the serum was finally flushed from her system, and her true personality began to reassert itself. Although her memory of the final attack was fuzzy, nonetheless she began to recall how she had become an entirely different person under the influence of the serum, and was left with the grim knowledge of how close she came to murdering the woman she loved.

Despite this attempted murder, Jane made no effort to punish Mariko, claiming she did not believe Mariko was truly responsible for her actions while under the serum's influence.

The event just removes Brave and Cruel, but doesn't keep track of whether the person affected was previously Kind or Cowardly. I checked with Glen, and that was just for simplicity of implementation. As such, I restored Mariko's Kind trait via dev console.

The Weiss Guild and Weiss League, early 2534

All departments have seen some reduction of efficiency relative to two years ago, between changes in leadership and the generally rattled emotions amongst many of House Weiss of recent times. That said, Administration still remains quite close to its old efficiency, and the performance of every department but Security is outright exceptional by general Colonial standards. The nearly-successful murder of the Director-General has proved something of an embarrassment to Security, although, admittedly, Mariko has long been discounted as a threat in their analyses.

The Director-General is, in large part, simply relieved to be alive and to have Mariko back to normal, although Oriole's death and its impact on other people she cares for has notably dampened her spirits. Rumors have been to spread amongst the nobility of many colonies of Jane's mad ambition to terraform a world at Capella. Although little substantial progress has been made there, it still has helped to discredit her. Her otherwise remarkable reputation, however, has minimised the effect of these rumors- at least thus far.

Executive Director Rebecca Weiss has slowly continued to develop her skills as an administrator, as a military leader, and as a technologist, even as she oversees House Weiss's Administration department as a whole while working to oversee the repair of a major waste processing plant at the Roach Colonies capital of Wei. She has been badly depressed by her mother's death, leaving her listless and unfocused for now.

Admiral Carmen Weiss, despite her long history of frailty and questionable health, is still alive at the old age of 63, remaining a generally disliked and irritating presence at the head of the Military department. She has deployed a heavy peacekeeper presence to Capella under the immediate leadership of a major of peacekeepers, helping to maintain order at the colony that will the base of the terraforming effort to come.

Director-Consort Mariko Weiss continues on as the immensely capable head of House Weiss Diplomacy, although her reputation at large has been badly harmed by her bout of madness and attempted murder of her ruler and wife. Her love for Jane remains uninterrupted, although there are many who might doubt that. She has overseen a diplomatic effort to keep Tumo Calderon, Duke of the McCoy Dominion and archon of the McCoy League, on good terms with House Weiss in order to try and maintain the peace.

Despite everything, Comissioner Noelle Weiss remains a loyal friend to Mariko. Although he was quite saddened by the death of his wife Oriole, he took it better than her daughters, and he took consolation and purpose in his new promotion to the council. Despite the expanded scope of his duties, he has remained quite focused on internal investigation at Vega, tracking down crime and secrets in the interests of order. He has found that Oriole is a very difficult person to match- although he has difficulty running Security as well as his late wife, he nonetheless has done as best as he can manage.

Technology Director Emily Weiss, although quite capable of matching her aunt Prudence in skill since Prudence's departure to Ross 128, nonetheless has suffered from her sorrow at the death of her mother. Her sorrow, at least, has been mitigated by the joy she has felt since learning that she is pregnant with her fourth child. She has been focusing on supplying resources to Rebecca to help develop the heir's abilities in security. Thus far, progress has not been promising.

Ilario Weiss considers himself blessed to have lived long enough to see the terraforming ship make its way to Capella- the beginning of the fruition of the dream he has so committed himself to since the first discovery of the terraforming ark. He has been directly overseeing the scientific and technical education of his wife Rebecca, although their efforts for a child have fallen off given his advanced age. He is a superb technologist, perhaps only second to Emily in the House.

Malachi Weiss, with the departure of his father Romeo, has been left as the second in command of House Weiss Administration. He has been overseeing taxation and logistics from the Lamb Clan, but the loss of nobles in Administration and the demands of the terraforming project may mean that he shall soon be forced into new duties in the department. The match of his son Adam with the archon of a major league has flattered his pride. The fact that he was passed over by his father when his father changed inheritance laws for Ross 128, however, has been less pleasing to him.

Geraldine Weiss, Malachi's wife, is the finest military leader in the House, and one beginning to grow frustrated at Admiral Carmen Weiss's stubborn refusal to have her frail health finally fail her entirely. Adam's happy and prestigious marriage has left her feeling vindicated as a mother, even as she serves as a colonel of peacekeepers on Algorab to bring the situation there under control.

Emily's oldest child, Liberty, is now the most junior and least skilled noble member of House Weiss Technology. Shy, unambitious, and keenly intelligent, he is perfectly happy to toil long hours in the lab. With recent events as they have been, he has yet to recieve a formal assignment to pursue, leaving him to putter away at side projects until he is put to work.

Alex Weiss, Liberty's young wife, is generally calm and easy to get along with, which has helped her fit in smoothly in her new House. Her actual skills as a noble in Administration are distinctly unimpressive, but she has been set to helping manage logistics and taxation of the White Federation. Given established procedures in House Weiss to assist tax collection, she at least manages reasonably well in that role.

Anna Weiss, the youngest daughter of Thomas and Oriole, has just come of age and celebrated her marriage to Bella and Noelle's son Jayne. Dauntless in the face of danger, quick to pick up on new concepts, a firm adherent to the codes of honor of the colonies, and known for her beauty and witty conversation, she is a truly exceptional young woman, and a better military leader at age 16 than many nobles in military service twice her age. She has been assigned as a colonel of peacekeepers at the Lindsey Coalition capital colony of Edasich, helping drag that colony from the very brink of open revolt, a task she has taken to with enthusiasm and flair.

Leslie Weiss remains an old warhorse, married to Emily and serving to keep the significant unrest at Beta Librae in check- recent famine and rabble-rousing have troubled the colony greatly. He remains deeply devoted to his wife.

Harold Weiss, along with his wife Lucy, is expecting his second child soon. He has been transferred from Military to Diplomacy, where, although he is still not remarkable, he is nonetheless somewhat more capable. His current assignment is to help establish a claim for the Weiss Guild on Sigma Draconis- first set for him when the Weiss Guild was still expecting Sigma Draconis to be where they'd center the terraforming effort.

Keir Weiss and his shaggy brown dog Dalmatian continue to helm the diplomatic mission to Zubenelgenubi, helping secure the Weiss League's most vulnerable border by keeping relations warm with House Shannon. Lilli Shannon has firmly requested that Keir leave Dalmatian in his quarters while dealing with her, so that she does not have to deal with the dog's exuberance.

Lucy Weiss, much to her surprise, is now the heir-apparent to Ross 128, not having realised that her father would change its inheritance laws to indulge his favorite daughter. She has been heading a diplomatic mission to strengthen ties with Duke Hayden Roach, helping to ensure the loyalty of the Weiss League's latest member state. She is at least somewhat pleased to be pregnant with her second child, although her husband has been more eager for more children than she has.

Vanida Weiss's espionage mission to Sigma Draconis has begun to appear obsolete, given that the actual terraforming mission will be taking place at Capella. She is reasonably content, if not exceptionally happy, but wonders what new work will await her when the House sorts out assignments.

Jayne Weiss is a fairly unremarkable member of Security, who has lately been assigned to handle the protection detail for the Director-General. Although he is far from the most skillful Security officer, the risk of assassination of such a popular ruler seems small. It is, however, potentially a vulnerability.

Allen Weiss has seemed somewhat distracted as of late, but is still a capable assistant to Admiral Geraldine Weiss in developing her skills. This, too, seems likely to be an assignment that may shortly end, as Geraldine's formidable abilities admit only a small amount of room for improvement.

With intensifying efforts in House Weiss to provide protections for independent travellers and mercenaries, the Weiss Guild has slowly begun to become something of a haven for mercenaries between contracts. Alongside House Weiss's good reputation amongst independent contractors, this promises to soon make it cheaper and easier for House Weiss to muster mercenaries at need.

We're getting our next bloodline upgrade within the next two years.

Capella is a relatively underdeveloped colony on the far fringes of the Weiss League, separated from easy access to the remainder of the league by Atlas. Even worse, the initial preparations for terraforming are straining the local supply situation, which is both costly to the nobility and difficult for serfs and freemen at the colony. The mission to reinforce local peacekeepers is vital to the continued order of Capella.

The space once dominated by the Lindsey League has been divided between the Weiss League and the Shannon League, the Shannon League now beyond question one of the great leagues of the colonies. The Simpson League, for its part, has seen the Todd Planets break away after a failed attempt to depose its duchess by Phyliss Simpson- an action which has squandered some of the power her father assembled at great effort. That said, it seems likely that the Simpson League enjoys a military advantage, so perhaps the reconquest of the Todd Planets shall go relatively smoothly. The Werner and Calderon Leagues continue to dominate space beyond the McCoy League, although the Weiss League is still the largest and most powerful league by a wide margin.

The new territories of the Weiss League are generally underdeveloped compared to the colonies they have held longer, unrest is a pressing problem in many colonies, and the Director-General's reputation has suffered as her ambition to terraform a new Earth has become more public. Even despite this, the Weiss League is strong- but hopefully it shall maintain this strength into the future.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 20, 2024

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
I will forego the usual vote on our next bloodline upgrade to go straight for Renowned Markets. We've slogged through all the prerequisites, and there's no reason not to reap the benefits when we finally earn the next update after the coming one. Reports should be out to everybody with claimed characters- if you haven't gotten a report you expect, tell me.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

I'm extremely hype about finally getting the admin tree finished, especially with so many more potential colonies for Markets to pop up in on those first few turns after we get it. That said, hopefully the McCoy Dominion starts having issues soon, because it would be good to get some space above Vega, as well as below, to ensure maximum coverage. However, for now, let's focus on building tall instead of wide, to weather the storm of negative events this terraforming thing is sure to proc. If possible, we should find a way to acquire Atlas, to fix our supply lines, but otherwise we should minimize expansion efforts in favor of shoring up our existing colonies.

Audio Diary of Malachi Weiss posted:

Ah, it's good to be home again after all that time fixing up the ring world. I left a few of my best people to keep an eye on the place. Last I saw, they were arguing over what they should call their jeep. Personally, I think it looked like more of a "Timberwolf", but I digress.

It seems good news is always followed by bad around here. The good news, of course, was that of my aunt's passing at Ross 128. Father was good enough to change the succession rules the moment he got there. I love Lucy like a sister, but there's no way in Hell I'd let myself be shackled to the stewardship of a mediocre backwater like Ross 128. Naturally, I had to make a big show of being upset, but this leaves me free to become the power behind the throne the minute Aunt Jane kicks it. Though, in truth, I am a touch worried about how her loss might affect the stability of the guild, especially with the whole Capella situation. Rebecca's become a bit of a bossy-britches of late, and all my plans will be for naught if the Guild disintegrates over it.

The bad news, of course, is what Aunt Jane did with that serum I heard about! Unbelievable! I don't know what was in it, but Aunt Mariko was a lot more fun, talking about crushing the galaxy beneath our boots, bringing the ignorant masses to heel, real music to my ears.

Hm, probably shouldn't leave that last bit in, uh... huh. D... didn't I find someone to help me with erasing parts of my logs? Why does it feel like I'm forgetting something important? Wh-who is... Yeardley? Why is my nose bleeding...?

<thudding sound can be heard, recording ends>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
I'd hope he loves his sister like a sister, hah. So what was the passing out about, exactly?