Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.

Technology Director Emily Weiss posted:

I will be brief. I have received a request by Liberty that he be permitted to take over training for his wife. Given his wife's generally weak performance thus far, I am inclined to grant his request. Likewise, I am giving the training of Jayne in Security over to Allen. Otherwise, I believe skill development for House members appears to be going well, on balance, even if we've taken hits to our personnel.

Director-General Jane Weiss posted:

Very good, all of you. It sounds as if the military advantage is ours at Atlas- Diplomacy, do we have options to help justify taking Atlas in a military action?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
I have a small teaser for people...

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

nweismuller posted:

Really?! Jane's gonna go down as a wise and just ruler?! Shocking! What other brilliant prophecies does frickin' Nostradamus over here have for us? Maybe she's got some strong intuitions about the upcoming Globetrotters game, think maybe Harlem's got a shot against the Generals? Undertaker fated to rack up some wins in future performances? Perhaps she'll go for something really daring, a dire warning that Taylor Swift tickets are gonna sell out on her next tour.

I joke, but it is a pretty insultingly obvious prediction, gotta love when random events just reinforce what we already know.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

nweismuller posted:

:allears: It’s like throwing a dart at the wall and painting the bullseye around it.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

EclecticTastes posted:

Really?! Jane's gonna go down as a wise and just ruler?! Shocking! What other brilliant prophecies does frickin' Nostradamus over here have for us? Maybe she's got some strong intuitions about the upcoming Globetrotters game, think maybe Harlem's got a shot against the Generals? Undertaker fated to rack up some wins in future performances? Perhaps she'll go for something really daring, a dire warning that Taylor Swift tickets are gonna sell out on her next tour.

I joke, but it is a pretty insultingly obvious prediction, gotta love when random events just reinforce what we already know.

Hey, apparently it was striking enough it actually enhanced Jane's reputation. I'm not sure how many of the feast guests were exactly on the fence about Jane being wise and just, but maybe the idea that it's important enough that a prophetic dream gets sent implies she has a certain higher seal of approval.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

nweismuller posted:

Is there an option in that upcoming event to smack her on the back of the head and tell her that if she's going to do LSD she should at least have the decency to do it in private?

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Dr. Snark posted:

Is there an option in that upcoming event to smack her on the back of the head and tell her that if she's going to do LSD she should at least have the decency to do it in private?

No, that's just a small sub-event for a feast that gives a bit of prestige to Jane with no option to choose a response to it. My hunch is the causation is more 'superstition and a really vivid dream colliding' rather than LSD, personally. Of course people can have prophetic dreams! The Pharaoh had prophetic dreams that Joseph interpreted! And wow, the dream I had was just super clear in my mind!

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

If Croesus makes war on the Persians, he will destroy a mighty empire

If Croesus puts his hand in water, he will find that it is wet

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Capella seems really important.

We'd better make sure every star within three jumps of it is either ours or a cinder. Y'know. For safety. Buffer states. Sending a message. :unsmigghh:

Although to dial the bit back, it really does sound like we may need to take Atlas by force, so as to ensure we have an uninterrupted lane of poo poo We Own that leads to Potential New Earth.

And to ramp the bit back up, in for a penny in for a pound, we got the band together and a full team, let's go dancing. And by "dancing" I mean "carve a trail of conquest across the galaxy." :orks101:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Diplomacy Director posted:

I am sure our diplomacy teams can find cause for it. The council seeks unified in streamlining this project so I see no cause for hesitation here.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
The assault on Atlas by House Weiss in 2536 mustered one of the largest collections of mercenaries seen in the modern era, with thirty frigates supported by squadrons of interceptors and bombers, drawn from multiple different mercenary bands. The commanding officer of one of these bands was Captain Philip Baker, formerly one of the chief officers in the Military department of the ruling House of Sualocin- a colony that, up until this point, House Weiss had been wholly ignorant of. Along with two squadrons of interceptors, a squadron of bombers, and a frigate, Philip Baker brought with him news. Sualocin had once been one of the constituent colonies of the Herring Union, insulated from warfare outside the Union but vulnerable to internal raids by squabbling barons and colonial governors. Following one of these raids, which Sualocin failed to repel, the colony entered a catstrophic collapse spiral, forcing its evacuation by anybody who could flee, and leading to the deaths of those who could not as the colony completely collapsed in 2533. Although a number of the Colonial Governor's House escaped, thereafter to be absorbed into House Werner as they fled the Herring Union entirely, many of the remnants of their fleet instead escaped to become mercenaries, who gradually drifted into the Weiss Guild based on the Weiss Guild's strong reputation amongst mercenaries. Along with Homam, this makes for two known colonial collapses so far in the 26th century. Although more than a hundred colonies yet remain, and the general situation of most is more secure than at the turn of the century, still humanity can very little afford the loss of another of its precious colonies- not to mention the incredible tragedy that the mass deaths of the colony represent.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Another one?? drat. We really need that drat planet.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Humanity is dying, they're just doing it slowly enough for people to fool themselves.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

I wonder if we had to break the glass on the "In Case of Unexpectedly Pressing Need for Mercenaries" emergency fund.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Xlorp posted:

I wonder if we had to break the glass on the "In Case of Unexpectedly Pressing Need for Mercenaries" emergency fund.

240 thousand marks worth of them. Would have been 300 thousand, but Blood and Gold served us well.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Who woulda thought that a seemingly useless prerequisite would come in handy just in the nick of time? Sixty-thousand marks, for reference, is the cost of fixing up the simpler modules, so that's some good savings.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

EclecticTastes posted:

Who woulda thought that a seemingly useless prerequisite would come in handy just in the nick of time? Sixty-thousand marks, for reference, is the cost of fixing up the simpler modules, so that's some good savings.

I'm telling you, mercenaries are an important enough element of military operations given that the normal forces available are static based on astrography, that Blood and Gold is very much not useless. It's Justified Taxation which I get minimal use out of and is the 'useless prereq' in Merchants and Administrators, in my book.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

nweismuller posted:

I'm telling you, mercenaries are an important enough element of military operations given that the normal forces available are static based on astrography, that Blood and Gold is very much not useless. It's Justified Taxation which I get minimal use out of and is the 'useless prereq' in Merchants and Administrators, in my book.

I'd say that's more a question of playstyle. Like, we're currently in a pretty unstable situation with the terraforming, but outside of that, running medium taxes for a few turns every now and then can generate a pretty hefty nest egg (as we did once before), and Justified Taxation makes it easier to do that. Getting essentially an entire Vega's worth of additional credits is nothing to sneeze at. And we're also hitting a point where I think we'll have a harder time expanding further at the same speed we've been going, so once we've stabilized our territory enough, we may even be able to run medium taxes for an extended stretch using Justified Taxation, only dropping into low whenever we're integrating new systems, fighting a war, or dealing with random events. Like, unless I'm mistaken, we can change our tax policy whenever we want to adapt to the situation, right?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Broadly speaking as a thread watcher, what is the overall strategic state/general focus? Stabilizing things internally thanks to some of the discontent from the terraforming project? Expanding or targeting specific regions as opportunity presents? Building up infrastructure? Etc

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

wedgekree posted:

Broadly speaking as a thread watcher, what is the overall strategic state/general focus? Stabilizing things internally thanks to some of the discontent from the terraforming project? Expanding or targeting specific regions as opportunity presents? Building up infrastructure? Etc

At the moment, we're aiming to boost stability because the terraforming thing is gonna cause all sorts of issues for us until it's completed. More broadly, the policy that Administration has been advocating for (and that has been largely accepted) is that of breakneck economic development. Most of our money goes into things that make us more money on an ongoing basis, so that our budget continually increases, providing us with more options for pursuing the agendas of other departments. Where our rivals might have invested fully into their military, diplomacy, or technology right away, we've built up enough capital that we can, at this point, be good at everything (limited, of course, by the stats of our nobles, which are quite good for the most part, but Security is currently a bit weak).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

wedgekree posted:

As things stand, operational goals are to continue building up our territories to increase revenue- and, as a side-effect, military strength-, keep the pace of revolts on colonies down to a dull roar by keeping population unrest in check, to stabilise the Capellan frontier in what was up until very recently the Roach Colonies, and to keep on cultivating our House members to preserve our ability to take action into the future. Age continues to serve as a source of attrition, so it's good we get new House members born and children eventually hitting their majorities, and getting new adults up to speed takes some work. There's an ongoing effort to keep the border between the White Federation and Shannon Collective peaceful, because local astrography there means that the Shannon Collective pretty much unavoidably has a large military advantage (barring us throwing enough money at mercenaries in a battle to tip the tide). That said, this ongoing effort pretty much involves keeping a member of Diplomacy tied up in the process of buttering up the Coordinator there and can progress without much top-level attention. Occasionally tossing money at feasts is a way to somewhat accelerate the rate we gain bloodline perks, because of the way gaining points towards your next bloodline perk works- and it doesn't hurt that it generally bolsters our reputation. Opportunistically snapping up new vassals when there's a diplomatic opening to do so is likewise something to do.