Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
M&A, Loremasters, Popular in that order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Claiming Bella Garcia, the cryogenic time-orphan depressed and disgusted at the regression of Humanity, if taking solace from new life.

B Use the Datavault Data to bring these primitive medical capabilities a little closer to what they once were.

Military is fine.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 14, 2022

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Speak of the devil out of history...

Colonel Bella Garcia, formerly Major of the Interstellar Authority. posted:

It may not be the League of Starfaring Nations, it may be backwards, primitive, baroque and trying to rebuild the old rather than innovate on it, but given what I can see of the rest of the remnants out there, it could be a lot worse. I'll admit, starting a family was a life goal I thought I'd have had to give up on, they don't usually put part of a family in cryosleep, but, well, here we are. Something to look forward to. So, if I'm bringing someone into this world, these worlds, I'm going to make damned sure it's worth doing so. We've got a fair few worlds that could use a firm hand right now, so I'll be looking to keep the peace, by whichever means prove necessary.

Admiral Weiss, Vega's naval forces could probably have held their own even by the standards of my time, which is no mean feat. I certainly hope you'll be around for many years to come, and in terms of future proofing, I've learned a fair few things I could see if I could pass on, tricks so old they're new again. Just say the word, sir.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Colonel Bella Garcia posted:

Albireo was pretty much at the top of my list, Admiral. Far be it for me to speak ill, but Governor-General White's control over her whole demesne seems lacking. A good baptism of fire for my elites. As for our future endeavours, I'd be honoured.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

SpaceDrake posted:

Also drat you AJ, this is what I get for not following the thread more closely :argh:

Had to take her, probably for the selfsame reasons you wanted to. There will be other compelling characters to take, and I do have a bit of history taking odd outliers in nweissmuller threads.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
The biggest age gap is Bella and Noelle by an order of magnitude, if you think about it.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Colonel of Peacekeepers Bella Garcia, private log, selected entries posted:

Backwards they may be, but there's no question these people know how to throw one hell of a party. Doesn't hurt that there's a tradition of dogfight tournaments to accompany them, which helps serve as a useful reminder that I'm not kidding about my old skills and training which, pleasingly, didn't get freezer burn. That said, what happened to Constable Bryan highlights these are effectively live fire exercises, with the concomitant risk of accidents. Still, that didn't put a damper on things, we knew the risks going in, and my own passenger wasn't put out by the bumpy ride. I could get used to this.

Law. Justice. Order. Not just words, not just concepts. Grind the entire universe to dust, and you wouldn't find a single particle of any of them. But go without them, and see how long society and humanity avoid being ground to dust themselves. I've learned enough of how appallingly bad things got that I can see how what we have now is an improvement, at least from that nadir. My elite cadre are now fully operational and self-perpetuating, a bulwark to maintain what we have, instilled with the virtues I have carried with me that they may not be forgotten again. Of all the polities that have arisen, all the fractured remnants of our lost League of Starfaring Nations, I can count myself fortunate indeed to have ended up in this one, given the state of what else is out there.

Noelle came across something quite startling. A matter I will treat with the utmost discretion, and only if there's any performance implications will I consider having a discreet word. That said, her?! Of all the people in Weiss territory, one of the main reasons I have to be out here in specific, keeping order? Love is blind.

All is not lost, it seems. All of House Weiss getting a genegeneered suite to help ensure smart and healthy offspring. Nothing new to me, but the gene therapy did help with some of the cryosleep wear and tear. Bodes well for the impending arrival that everything is working as it should in that regard.

Noelle's salacious gossip is now moot. For the best, I suppose. Hopefully the inheritor can help rein things in. J and M both seem much happier for it.

Several new kinds of pain and tiredness and joy. Welcome to the world and the worlds beyond, Harold Garcia of House Weiss, namesake to the Admiral, an admirable man. One more element of legacy. I never thought I'd have the opportunity to become a mother. Strange times we're living in, I'm a stranger to them myself. I'm very grateful for the opportunity. Vega seems to be the only world truly handling the overcrowding of the old colony infrastructure. I recognise the need for population controls, keeping growth in check. Still, I wonder what Jane would say if I asked to bear another?

They've found an old Science Ark elsewhere in Albireo system. I advised they investigate thoroughly and immediately, though given I owe my continued life to similar happenstance I'd imagine that was hardly surprising. Feels almost fortuitous that I'm where the strange technological marvel from the past is.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Colonel of Peacekeepers Bella Garcia posted:

You do me great honour, Admiral. I have two hopes, that I can live up to the example you have set in the role, and that it does not become necessary for me to do so for a good while yet. Your point about acclimating myself to remote command is well taken, and given my husband's posting on Vega would be most welcome on a personal level. To date I have favoured a hands-on approach local to my task, both to get a better sense of the situation and thus be more efficient in the role, and to not ask of my peacekeepers anything I would not be willing and able to do myself. I will formally request a transfer to Vega in accordance with your wishes.

As for the matter of this terraforming ship... If I may wax poetic, I came from an age of wonders. Scientific progress and advancement at an almost exponential rate, whose fruits were planted on every world humankind now thrives on. In the here and now, innovation is stagnant, advancements are made by digging up past achievements, restoring or repurposing old facilities. It is one of the reasons for my occasional melancholy, as I'm sure you can all understand. But this? A chance to do better, to go further than the best of that earlier age were ever able to do, to make some actual progress and advancement, to do something amazing and unprecedented for the betterment of humanity? We have to try. Please, let's expand the boundaries of what we can do as a species rather than retreading where we once strode boldly.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Admiral Bella Garcia posted:

I had the utmost respect for my predecessor. Whilst his loss is chastening, we do his memory a disservice if we allow our standards to drop. Carmen, you've done sterling work on Nashira, but the reward for a job well done is a harder job. Your new assignment is taking over from the late Admiral on Merope. Geraldine, welcome to active duty, I'd like you to take over my work on Ross 128. I'll take responsibility for Hyadum personally. Leslie could have great aptitude for a military secondment, and whilst I accept the Tech department would benefit from his presence, we could do with someone attending to Mu Capricorni, but this is merely a recommendation with the final call in the hands of the Director-General. As an aside, Noelle and I are greatly appreciative of the chance to address the question of personnel numbers personally, all being well we expect good news in a short few months.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Checks Bella's stats. Checks Bella's assigned role.

Um, yes. Go ahead and tweak it. I'm being completely impartial here.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Skilled Collectors. An eye on the long term is always worthwhile.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

You did WHAT to our unique, one-of-a-kind technological marvel stealth ship?!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Director-General Weiss. I respectfully and formally request, with all due deference, that in future no vessel of the Weiss League space forces be destroyed or otherwise consumed for propaganda or informational purposes without the prior notification and preferably consent of the Admiral of the Weiss League. Whilst taking such action is within the powers of the Director-General, circumventing the delegation of powers is a bad precedent, and the disposition of the Weiss League fleet and its constituent vessels is a responsibility delegated to the Admiral. Should this become a regular occurrence I may need to reconsider my position.

Peacekeeping. Hyadum and Merope still need attention. Ross 128 is bad but less so than Albiero and Mu Capricorni. I propose we transfer our efforts from Ross 128 to Albiero for the time being, and if we have a spare militarily competent pair of hands that they be set to work in Mu Capricorni.

The dispensation of justice. We have been asked to, it is in line with precedent to comply, and the suggested sentence is just.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Diligent Serfs.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Senior Investigator Noelle Garcia posted:

Whatever we choose to do, make sure it's something I can tell to my sons as a legitimate act of a good ruler.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

A relic from an earlier age, with knowledge long thought lost, seeking to lend strength to House Weiss as the best hope this sector of space has. Thanks for stirring up painful memories. Yeah, sure, give it a shot. We can always switch it off if it messes up.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Diplomatic AI posted:

I am sorry for your loss, and for any painful memories I caused to be stirred up. I hope at least being able to remember can bring you some comfort as well, for as long as you remember the lost are never truly gone. I am thankful that you are willing to give me a chance despite your pain, and will do all I can to show you that it was a chance worth giving.

Your condolences are appreciated. How could I choose other than to give you a chance, when we did so damned well out of similar circumstances last time around? Welcome to personhood. Chosen a name yet?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Justified Taxation

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

There's a school of thought that every war is a crime. Assault, battery, vandalism, manslaughter, murder, you name it. And yet, in all of human history, we haven't worked out how to be rid of it. Do what you have to do. Also, I draw your attention once more to the actions of Hart Harvey. We really can't tolerate or condone this, especially not from one claiming to be a diplomat. Persona non grata at least.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
You can't get rid of me that easily.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Noelle votes for Blood and Gold

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Noelle Weiss, personal musings posted:

Second time I've changed my name through marriage, this time to the actual name of the house I've been a part of all this time. My sons from Bella are earning their own appellations, Howard learning his trade and giving me a grandchild, Jayne betrothed and thankfully over that horrible disease. Vega is as quiet and as peaceful as we can get it, and I do like Oriole. All this and the head and consort have both taken up one of my major pastimes. On a personal level, things are going as well as can reasonably be. The one thing we need is to end this damned war.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Noelle Weiss, Commissioner and Widower posted:

Thank you all for your kind words. It feels like Oriole and I had nowhere near enough time together, and yet here I am, stepping into her shoes and taking her council seat. I would like to think I brought her a measure of happiness and comfort in the time we shared, in the wake of her long previous marriage to Thomas, of blessed memory. I would hope that I leave the state of law and order on our capital suitably acceptable, and I pledge the selfsame diligence I applied to that task to my new duties. Forgive my brevity, I trust you understand given recent events.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Noelle Weiss posted:

We should be cautious when it comes to claiming universal prosperity, in places that look to Vega with envy. Regional tweaks for disparate audiences, not one size fits all.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Theantero posted:

If it can actually reasonably be done, take your time. But if it can't, no reason to obsess over it.

Essentially this.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Private Security memo, Noelle Weiss to Family personnel posted:

The attempted assassination of our Head of State by her own serum-maddened spouse is a failing that must not be repeated. Anyone acting out of character needs eyes on them and boots not far away.

We are in need of a reorganization and reprioritization of our assets. With the Terraform project established in Capella, Sigma Draconis is no longer a priority. Vanida Weiss is hereby recalled and assigned to Jane Weiss' protection detail. Jayne Weiss is getting a tougher assignment, keeping up with Rebecca Weiss and safeguarding the heir.

The loss of Oriole has hit us all hard. Don't be afraid to ask for help should you need it, she'd want us all to get our heads in order so we can best do our jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Commissioner Noelle Weiss posted:

No objections, Director-General. The security detail will be as close or as discreet as you prefer, depending if you intend to display unconditional trust of the Director-Consort, or that your personal security is now ready for any future issues from anyone.