Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I would like to take on the role of Mariko, if that's alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Yes, thank you. Sent you a response asking more about the details of our diplomacy agents.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Mariko Weiss's Personal Journal, excerpt:

Jane and her council has led us to a new stage of peace and prosperity and, as much as I am hesitant to admit it, the AI-

...Polly.

Polly has been a small but noticeable boon to our efforts. I am franky unsure still if..she can be trusted or if she is just a particularly clever algorithm. But frankly, I think I recall having an easier time accepting Ilario, and our previous family members actually shot each other.

Fear of the different, of the unknown, is a core part in any diplomatic dealing. This is just another extension of that.

In the meantime, stability and reputation wise we are in a good place. As loathe as I am to admit it, that "good place" is a resource of my beloved wife. Just like diplomatic overtures. Just like the military.

I will council her to plan to prepare a warchest and plan for war. I will trust in her leadership to pilot us in a right and just manner, as I always have.

War is bloody and it is cruel but our current happiness and stability for our people will remain under threat unless we can ensure we have the resources to maintain our own safety. We must act with wisdom and justice to ensure we are correct in our actions, but striking while the iron is hot is reasonable.

McCoy is destabilized and that's never good for neighbors. Better to resolve intergalactic issues through words and treaties but when that isn't possible, and when your counterpart is lead by a dishonorable woman..

Other methods should be leveraged.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Director-Consort Mariko Weiss posted:

Lilli Shannon is a pleasant enough conversation partner but our relationship and interests are stable there for now, especially after that feast.

I agree with your decision for greater stability in preparation for the war. Give my love to Lucy and the others.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Director Consort Mariko Weiss posted:

It seems unnecessarily harsh to refer to the destroyed colonies and their constituents as "toys." Led as they were by the shortsighted and foolish, these unfortunate victims of tragedy were creations of God like you or I.

There is neither political will, nor resource capacity, nor strategic benefit to offering aid to the refugees, even if it was a possibility. It is difficult to sit and watch. I do agree that we must prevent such disasters in our own space though, and I am amenable to diplomatic, or failing that, military intervention in these cases where it would benefit the House and our colonies.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Director-Consort Mariko Weiss posted:

Regarding the council's inquiries about our vassals:

As far as the Diplomacy Team and our contacts can tell, the Director-General's reputation, her abilities, and the fact that we run light taxes means that the loyalty of our vassals are about as unbreakable as is possible in our current era. The leadership of all our vassals, aside from the new Lamb Clan queen, all have extremely favorable opinions of our Director-General.

The new Lamb Clan, for what its worth, still has very VERY positive views on us. It's just that since they are new, our relationship is not quite as solid as our relationship with our other vassals. Our internal stability is at an all time high, which is quite a blessing considering the trials our neighbors have gone through. My thanks to my diplomacy team, my esteemed colleagues on the Council, and of course, Director-General Jane for everyone's hard work. We couldn't have gotten this far without everyone excelling in their roles.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 18, 2023

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Ahh good to know. Thanks!

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Director-Consort Mariko Weiss's Personal Log posted:

Another year, and another devastating tragedy that could have been avoided. all those lives lost..

It's hard to tell if preventing it really was in the cards or not, but a small part of me wonders if taking more colonies under our aegis through diplomacy or other means wouldn't end up being actually more humanitarian. Or maybe that's just our recent military successes getting to my head. I'm sure I'd be less positive about military ventures if Jane had died. That breached bridge was a close thing.

Regardless, I will counsel patience in our next military operation. Diplomacy is close to finishing up a viable claim and I don't need to remind people that our, and Jane's, reputation has been very important to our diplomatic relations and our own internal stability. We have time, and the tragedy of the colony collapse should highlight the dangers of poorly conceived violence.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I'm still here!

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Thank you for the Diplomacy update report.

Diplomacy Director Mariko Weiss posted:

A new member of the diplomacy team, and a new ward too. Life certainly is busy.

The defection is unfortunate and means that the war was, for the most part, pointless. As it often is, but I did concur with the Director-General in having high hopes. Alas, it was out of our hands.

I think we should stay the course on developing our finances further. Money certainly is always a useful tool, even if mercenaries are less reliable. I vote Blood and Gold.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

While money is a useful tool in diplomacy and I am always going to prefer using it to military force, I hesitate demanding more of it from our people and vassals, so soon after a war. Perhaps in the future, but I am unsure if the economics and politics of it would prove beneficial now.

The current assignments of diplomacy team's staff is reasonable.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Apologies I didn't receive the Diplomacy report notification for some reason. Let me go over it.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

nweismuller posted:

Feel free to ask any clarifying questions you want, or ask for reports on specific individuals or the relations between some people- i.e., 'how high is the opinion between the head of the Cervantes Alliance and his master' or the like. There's a lot you might potentially want to check, and I can't necessarily anticipate all questions.

Not a problem! It seemed straightforward enough.

Lucy can be reassigned to the next hotspot or opportunity for diplomatic outreach. I would also welcome Harold to diplomacy team if it is deemed appropriate; there's always work here to do.

Sigma Draconis seems like the next clearest objective for the creation of a claim. There's no need to spend effort and take on unnecessary risk in securing our vassals colonies for our own. Regarding Sigma Draconis itself, I think its reasonable to see what miracles my diplomatic team can work up. No need to spend money and blood if it can be avoided with reason. Especially since....

As for the White Federation, I am of mind to release this news. It will cause destabilization and possibly conflict but words and dissention stirring can be as dangerous as any fleet. We shouldn't sit on our hands and let these actions go unremarked upon. Lord knows rebellions can cause colony collapses just fine. I am all for peace when possible, but when violence is already brewing, Commissioner Oriole Weiss's "jetbike" may be unfortunately what is necessary.

Personal log:
While my romance with Jane isn't as smooth and heady as the stories common in children and popular media, sometimes even I am surprised by how dedicated she can be to, well, us. She approaches things with the same steadfastness and reliability in our marriage as she does in her duties. Her joining me in ground effect biking has reminded me of how my pulse would quicken in her presence; whether that was first due to the danger of the sport, or her clear love for me, hardly matters now considering how rejuvenated our marriage feels now.

I hope at least that she is happy. I fear she deserves better than my fluctuating attentions sometimes, especially after poor Thomas died in her arms. Despite all the technology at our disposal, sometimes we are reminded of how fragile our lives and happiness can be.

Nevertheless life goes on, but I hope one day we can stand on solid ground in wide open spaces of nature, safe from the hostility of space. I have seen Keir's new dog and the obvious affection the two share for each other makes me wonder if we are meant to have the space and room to forge similar bonds with the other creatures of God's creation.

If diplomatic efforts toward Sigma Draconis don't bear the fruit that I would like, then we'll have to seek other options.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 16, 2023

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I concur with the Director General and the Executive Director. These seem like reasonable and measured courses of actions.

Even if diplomatic overtures fail, this will lay the political foundations necessary to cushion and support our further actions.

I admit I am personally loathe to sign off on potential military actions down the line. However, looking at the past incidents of colony collapse in our lifetimes and the immense suffering they cause as a part of revolts and other wars, I hold spreading dissent to foment revolt or lay the groundwork for potential military action to merely be another gun at the ready.

This is also why as Diplomacy Director I want to exhaust every option possible before considering military action. However it is still on the table because I consider Sigma Draconis to be of great importance. Terraforming sounds like a dream in the sky. A long shot. But between colony collapses, and sudden accidents due to stray micro asteroids, it feels like humanity's grasp on life is more tenuous than some may want to admit. A planet for us to live on would go such a long way to freeing up the pressures of space and resources that, in part, contribute so much to the horrific deaths from war and colony collapse.

Mariko Personal Log posted:

"Grasp on life." That's politely putting it. Watching the powerful and wealthy escape in a panic as their station's systems fail. Watching the serfs die like bugs. We as a species are scrabbling for existence among the stars, despite the personal comfort and wealth my family and I enjoy. It's hard, I think, for some leaders to view their serfs and citizens as anything other than numbers on a datapad, but I think we deserve more.

I love peace. I abhor violence. But peace through inaction is cowardice and seeing entire families die as their oxygen runs out in just a single case of colony collapse is enough for 1 lifetime.

But I will be consigning more of my people to their deaths as a result of this decision. Pieces on the board sacrified in the hope for victory, but every death a tragedy. I wonder how other members of the family and the council see it? I'll bring it up with Jane next time we are taking a break from our biking.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Diplomacy Director, Mariko Weiss posted:

As much as I applaud our leader's efforts, and see the value in our technology department's tireless efforts in returning us to our past grandeur, I think option 2 is the clear path forward.

Showing the appeal of growth for all offers the most benefits here. The contributions of House Weiss to the quality of life for serfs and freemen is of clear benefit to stability and happiness of the people. The contributions of House Weiss to economic growth and wealth improving the influence and power of nobles, is of course, of clear benefit to the highest class. This angle is the simplest and most straightforward to pursue, without hinging the propaganda on one person and without leaning on highminded technological goal that some may not share.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Yay cats!

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

quote:

Mariko Weiss personal journal:

I think, other than actually being in the grasp of madness, that this is the lowest point of my life. How do I face my wife? My family? How do I face myself?

I will speak to Jane... I can barely believe she holds me in any sort of esteem after that. My God. I wouldn't wish madness of that sort on anyone.

In the meantime, I will direct my team to continue to focus on the Shannon Collective. Ensuring attention and energy maintaining our most vulnerable border is of great value as we embark upon this great project of ours.

Duke Hayden Roach will be the next priority of diplomatic efforts, since the recent fines for his crimes have stung him greatly. How a man like that could be responsible for so many crimes is an uncomfortable question. Perhaps he found some elixirs of his own.. hah hah hah.

We should also reach out to young Baroness Tatiana Clay, and see if inroads could be made there. However, not too many resources should be invested just in case we need to have a safety margin ready as the terraforming project continues.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

nweismuller posted:

Want that we should have one of Mariko and Harold switch to improving relations with Tatiana and the other word on establishing a claim to ease the possibility of bringing her over?

Yes that seems reasonable. Other sectors of diplomatic operations seem stable enough for now. Enough for us to strike while the iron is hot.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Diplomacy Director posted:

I am sure our diplomacy teams can find cause for it. The council seeks unified in streamlining this project so I see no cause for hesitation here.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Another one?? drat. We really need that drat planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Get well soon!