Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Claiming Harold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

My suggestion is the full title being "The Sovereign Director-General Jane Weiss" with the truncated, and used in most circumstances outside maximum pomp being Director-General, with Director being the informal title used by her inner circle and peers.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

: Firstly, we must be vigilant for any old Goodman loyalists hiding out in the populace, or any other dangerous dissenters for that matter.
We cannot expand before our current holdings are reasonably secure and stable. At the same time, we cannot dally for to long. Targets of opportunity like Beta Librae may become far less viable if we wait for too long.
Beta Eridani is a vital strategic location if we are to strike at Beta Librae at any point in time.
Thus, I suggest, with my dau- Hrm. With the leave of the Director-General, I'll personally oversee efforts to Quell Unrest at Beta Eridani.
Further, a legitimate claim on Beta Librae would be a great boon in expanding our realm, if Diplomacy would be so obliged. We did just depose a bloodthirsty tyrant. We must take care not to paint ourselves in the same light, lest some of the populace figure we should be deposed in the same manner.
Lastly, many, if not most of the military installations within our domain are in shambles. A strong supply line is the backbone of any military. These need to be brought online as soon as can be afforded.
I suggest the Interstellar Authority outpost at Miaplacidus be made the top priority of these. With it restored to function rooting out any remaining Goodman dogs is an easier and faster prospect.

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 24, 2022

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

: As previously noted, any future venture needs a solid foundation to build upon. I agree with the Director-Consort that securing Kajam takes precedence over laying claim to new territory.
I will however repeat that Beta Librae is currently vulnerable, and caution against delaying too long.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Though it pains me, as it is going to even further delay the much-needed buildup of military assets, I have to agree with our Chief of Security.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Admiral Harold Weiss posted:

The situation at Miaplacidus is worrying. But these are no Goodman loyalists. House Martin failed in their obligation to keep the commoners fed.
I do not trust them to not make the situation even worse. I would go there personally, with handpicked peacekeepers skilled in de-escalation and quell this unrest with minimal use of force.

If Garret ever figure out which way to point their ships, have arranged transportation on standby to take me to Kajam to lead the defense.

Thomas, I understand that our financial situation is extremely limited. Nevertheless, right here in Vega sits a non-functional defence platform fabricator.
If it were to be brought online it would bolster defences across the entire guild.
It is a single investment that benefits the entirety of our holdings.
The best way to prevent losses in a war is to deter an attacker from attacking in the first place. Kajam might not bring much to your budget right now, but losing the system would hardly help our financial situation.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Situations can change rapidly Thomas.
I would remind you that two years ago Beta Librae looked weak enough for us to conquer with little more than harsh language, and look at it now.

We have some time to prepare, otherwise I would already be in Kajam getting defences in order.
But to assume that our enemy is going to remain toothless against us long term is foolish.

In any case, as I was saying earlier, strengthening our defences to the point of deterring an attacker is cheaper than fighting a war.
When hot war comes, it should be because we chose it, not something being inflicted on us.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

The aging Admiral Harold Weiss posted:

This seems a fair compromise. The scrap processing plant is of some benefit to the military as well after all.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

The Old Man, Admiral Harold Weiss posted:

At the moment, I feel it the most prudent to continue monitoring the situation at Miaplacidus.

That said, I am ready to shift my focus to Vega should be necessary.
The man himself seems honourable and as far as I can tell appear truthful in his claim of having no wish to rule.
But the reappearance of what could be considered the legitimate heir to the previous regime might spark significant discontent in those subjects still considering us illegitimate as rulers.

Our fleets appear to be sufficient for the defense of our current holdings, at the moment.
They are however pitiful if we were to consider attacking anywhere outside our borders.

As for general policy, I say continue as we have.
Stick to the planned order of installation repairs Thomas laid down two years ago.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

the ancient Admiral Harold Weiss posted:

Director-general, it has come to my attention that you've been formally charged to punish Baron Martin.
The man is, quite frankly, a disastrous moron. He should be deposed.
In addition to the crime he's been formally charged with, House Martin hoarding food supplies directly led to the unrest I've spent the last two years trying to control.

Director-Consort, according to my reports, our projected chance at capturing Ross 128 have been slowly increasing.
We are in no position to take the system right now, but I want us to be ready to seize a possible future opportunity.
Kirabo Martin does have a credible claim, but as I just said, the man is an insufferable fool.
If you are finished placating Garett, do you think you could find a Weiss Guild claim to the system?

Finally, I request that I am present for Baron Martin being deposed, should the Director-General choose to take my advice to do so.
Otherwise peacekeeping efforts on Miaplacidus are mostly wrapped up, and I stand ready to once again focus my efforts on our home system.

As long as there's no other claims, I will for the time being also take the reins for Prudence.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

In light of this troubling news, a claim on Ross 128 can wait in the interest of information security.
That said, it rather depends on how likely you think it is that Garret would turn around and reveal secrets as soon as you stop buttering her up Mariko.
I want that claim, but it ultimately depends on if you and Director-General deem the risk sufficiently small.

As an aside, we are all rather overworked, and I am not exactly getting younger myself. And my grandchildren, proud of them as I am, are still far to young to hold positions of power. We need more hands.
Run the Scout for House Members actions, if it's not already running.

Doctor Prudence Weiss posted:

I'm happy enough with our currently planned short-term goals, and thanks to the good Illario, my department is the only one not currently short-staffed, Father is absolutely right about needing more able hands and minds in general.
On the longer term, there's hospital installations both here in Vega and close by that will contain valuable medical information, as well as aiding in keeping House members fit and healthy. Repairing at least one I feel should absolutely be a priority as soon as we're beyond the most immediate needs. And I absolutely approve of the idea of appointing Illario as head medic for the first one we restore, presumably the one right here in Vega I would think.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Admiral Harold "pirate killer" Weiss posted:

My reports tell me that there is significant unrest in the Patton Quadrant.
If their neighbor baronies wastes their fleets on in-fighting, far fewer forces are going to be ready to come to the defense of Ross 128.
True, their defenses still look strong, but I believe the time to start planning a strike is now.
Mariko is close to delivering a credible claim to the system. Their neighbor systems are close to revolt. And we have a treasury rich enough to secure mercenaries of sufficient quantity for a swing in our favour.

As such my formal suggestion is to have the navy strategists start drawing up strike plans, and the military training simulators be programmed for a strike at Ross 128.
In addition, I request 120,000 marks be earmarked for hiring mercenaries.

Prudence Weiss, Ph.D posted:

Oriole, I know that Mr. Barry is nominally under your authority, but I seek to borrow him on a, shall we say, joint Technology-Security assignment.
Director-General, we've looked over your evaluation tests, and I'm happy to say that you continue to shine in the administrative skills, and we're seeing clear improvements in your medical and technological skills thanks to Illario's tutelage.
But obviously it's important for the head of the house to have a firm grasp on all aspects of leadership, and your security skills are quite frankly, sorry Jane, appalling. Which brings me back to my suggestion Oriole; Noelle Barry is competent enough to run a simulator, I propose we have him start training my dear sister in Security.

I hate to contradict Father, but I'd similarly hate our efforts to restore vital infrastructure and potential technological treasure troves, that are currently progressing nicely I must say, thank you Thomas, to stall without access to the funds they need, if we're in the situation that we actually have those funds, just that they're reserved for something else. Especially since this Something Else in this particular case, should it succeed would bring with it even more installations in need of repair, probably.
Of course, I haven't looked at any financial projections, there might be enough income to support non-stop installation repair, even with the reserved sum, in which case I'm arguing this point for no reason and, uh... sorry?

Admiral Weiss, private journal posted:

Log Entry 1, 2058
By God, it felt good to clean up that pirate trash!
The most honourable and just action I've partook in since we overthrew Goodman.
Myself and Alice leading the charge.. God, How I miss you, my Alice.
And now, another Goodman, one for whom the family name is not ironic, is thanking me for clearing out the pirates his brother endorsed. Oh how times change.

I have to be completely honest with myself, taking on those pirates were exhilarating, and now my blood is up.
Naturally I want the House and the Guild to grow and prosper, and that can only be done by bringing more vassals in under our care and direction.
But I want this for myself as well. God knows I'm not getting any younger. I long to command a fleet in a proper military action, right from the captain's seat on the deck of the lead frigate, before I finally go to see my dear Alice again.

And I know I leave House and Guild in good hands. Three children, three brilliant minds. And six grandchildren, good Lord.
And my second wife.. Chelsia is a good sort. Talented military mind. I trust her to be a competent Admiral after I'm gone, and I hope to God one of these six beloved grandchildren is going to grow up to be an even better Admiral than I ever was!

..Reading back what I just wrote, by God I sound like I'm made of ice and stone! Chelsia deserves better, she's a good woman. I just don't think I have any more love like that left in me after Alice.
I love my children, and my grandchildren, of course, but that's not the same.

Wasted enough time with this now, time to get back to work!
Log Entry ends

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Thomas, an uncolonised system is a significant boon for the defender.
If you were to reduce this down to a pure numbers game we will never be able to strike outside our current borders and win.
Short term, this means a stable defensible position, surrounded by empty systems that we are.
But in the long term, total stagnation. We need as vector to grow, otherwise any of our neighbors not reined in on all sides by uncolonised systems could outgrow us, and crush our defenses.

Right now we have an opportunity to negate the defender's advantage with a surprise attack while their forces are unorganised from internal unrest.
Without mercenaries, we do not have the forces to seize this vital moment, and it will slip us by.
And God only knows when an opportunity like this is going to present itself again?
Certainly not in my lifetime, quite possibly not in yours either.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

November, 2509- Haldus

The fighting in space is won, and a decisive victory at that.
All that remains is for ground forces to secure the colony itself. Boots on the ground, as the ancient idiom goes, holds as true today as it it did in ancient times.
Outwardly Admiral Harold Weiss is the very image of calm professionalism. On the inside he's grinning ear to ear.
He sits and listen to the sounds of a command frigate in combat reverberating through the ship's structure;
The beeps of radar returns and target locks.
The murmuring of comm chatter, and the warbling of encrypted channels.
The whine and buzz of charging and discharging laser capacitors.
The thumping beat of autocannon fire.

The sounds all flow together to form a strange kind of symphony.

An incoming command-level communication breaks his meditative reverie.
He listens to the message and takes half a second to consider.
He toggles a switch and sends his reply: "Major Andersen, I am authorising a fire support mission. Your men had best take cover."
Admiral Weiss flips the switch back to "INTERCOM".
"Gunnery, transfer control of the primary turret to my station."

Guided by an expert hand the shells slam home with pinpoint accuracy.

The ghost of a smile flickers on the Admiral's face.
Once back on Vega the bridge crew tries to tell their comrades they saw the Admiral smile. None believes them.

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 28, 2022

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Rotanev is currently vulnerable to a strike, but at the time I believe we must be careful not to over-extend.
By the sounds of it, Diplomacy might be in a better position to grow our borders anyway.

At the moment my recommendation is to focus on fortifying recently acquired gains.
And on that note, Thomas, Ross 128 and Haldus's fleets are both severely depleted.
Sparing someone from a tax collection to oversee fleet rebuilding at either of these systems would greatly reinforce the security of both.

Myself and Chelsia are both ready to oversee peacekeeping efforts where they are most needed.

Jane, I'm afraid our studies together need to be halted for the moment.
Illario has done us great service already, and unless you directly order me otherwise I intend to tend to his recovery.
Oh and Thomas dear, I'm glad to see you appreciate the value in proper hospital facilities. Of course I'd love to have them already but I will have to make do with what I got for the moment.

As for Noelle, well, the Director-General isn't completely incompetent in security matters, sorry Jane, you know I love you anymore, so I suppose I don't have any real objections against him being reassigned somewhere else.
Now if there's nothing else, I'm going to do a house call getting Illario patched up.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

War Hero Harold Weiss posted:

Given the current situation, I would recommend my wife take charge of peacekeeping efforts on Ross 128. I will oversee our own backyard. There is still a somewhat worrying amount of unrest right here on Vega.
Haldus seems internally stable enough at the moment, but we will need to keep a close eye on the situation there.

Your congratulations are appreciated, but I am, as ever just doing my duty for the House and the Guild. As I expect everyone here to do.
And if you'll excuse this breech of protocol, my children, I am proud of all of you. Jane, Thomas, Prudence, you are all a credit to the family name.
Mariko, Oriole, your services to House Weiss have similarly been invaluable. And Prudence, please convey my most sincere appreciation for Illario.
He as exceeded not only my expectations, but my wildest hopes.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

The remains of the Patton Quadrant are ripe for the taking.
We need only the proper diplomatic pretext. Mariko, if you please?
Sooner is better than later I would think, before Patton pledges allegiance to one of our rivals for his protection.
The man is also despised by some of our vassals. Removing him from power once and for all would surely lift their spirits, and cement our authority.

As for unrest, the situation is far more grim. For the moment I am recommending myself to be deployed to Mu Capricorni, and that Carmen remains at Nashira.

Lastly, I intend to serve House Weiss as duty demands until my last breath. That breath, God willing, is still a few years away.
Even so, it is time to consider my successor. I have been blessed with several grandchildren. It seems fitting that I hand over the reins to the newest generation Weiss.
Prudence, I trust you will oversee training my successor in military matters?

As noted, Rebecca will soon reach her majority, and I suggest we begin training her immediately so that she is as capable as possible when the time comes, though I pray it's many years in the future yet Father!

I don't have much else to add to the current situation, really. As my brother noted, out realm has grown too large to practically micromanage each and every facility.
I suggest we'll keep up our training together Jane until Rebecca comes of age, at which point she hopefully shows some military aptitude and I'll begin her training.
Naturally Ilario is going to keep up the technology training.

Bloodline upgrade: B

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Colonel, you were a peacekeeper of sorts before the Collapse, correct?
I'm assigning you to Albireo, capital of the White Federation.
Unrest there is getting severe. Securing peace and stability in our vassals is vital.

Further, at the risk of getting ahead of myself:
When the time comes to take the Patton Quadrant, I want you to lead the fleet. A chance to prove these "old tricks" of yours.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Admiral Harold Weiss, private journal posted:

I could not be more proud of my children.
House Weiss have grown beyond my wildest dreams. A League, in my own lifetime!

My dear granddaughter Rebecca is a bright one.
Sadly, I am forced to admit that she shows little aptitude military theory, and even less interest.
On the other hand she shows great potential both as an administrator or a diplomat.
She would still benefit from some military training to prepare her for taking the throne.

I have to consider alternatives.
Tradition calls for appointing close kin, but I cannot countenance leaving house Weiss without a competent Admiral when I pass.
In our most recent conversations Jane suggested Colonel Garcia.
I am hesitant. She seems competent enough, but she is an outsider. An unknown, and literally of a different time. No marriage ties to the Weiss line.
Still, I cannot think of a different option.
Even if some of my other grandchildren show promise, training them to be a competent strategist and tactician would take many years.
Years I am afraid I do not have.
House Weiss cannot be left without competent military leadership.

Admiral Harold Weiss, private journal, continued posted:

I have returned to my quarters following the council meeting.
Now we will find out what Colonel Garcia is really made of.
First the Albitern peacekeeping operation.
Then she will lead the fleet when we strike at the last sad remains of the Patton Quadrant.
I only pray to God that I live to see the outcome of these challenges.
I take some comfort in the fact that Jane is aware of these tests, as it were. Ultimately she is the Director-General and it is therfore her choice in the end.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

the ancient Admiral Wiess posted:

My apologies for my late arrival to this council meeting. Walking the corridors of this colony is taking much longer than I remember it doing.
To begin with, I'm stating for the record that it is my formal recommendation to the Director-General that Colonel Garcia is chosen as my successor.
It is unfortunate that Patton chose to surrender to the Weiss League rather than provide an opportunity for you to display your tactical acumen in a real fleet action.
Nevertheless, between your recent tournament victory, ongoing peacekeeping efforts, and this impressive elite guard of yours, you have shown ample aptitude for the role.
I can picture none better for the task.

As for peacekeeping, I'm keeping Carmen deployed to Nashira.
Merope and Ross 128 is currently at the top of the list where urgent intervention is needed.
Colonel, you'll take Ross 128, and I will oversee Merope.
Additionally, should you prefer to oversee your assignment remotely from right here on Vega you have my leave to do so.
It is no secret to anyone that I am on the seventh bell, and once you are elevated to a full council member you will be stuck here on Vega.
I would prefer you getting some practical experience in overseeing your duties remotely before then.

Doctor Prudence Wiess, via vid-link posted:

--blasted piece of-- --ncient cra--
There, I think I've stabilised the link. Everybody hear me? Good.
Given my present condition I figured this way was best for everyone.
This way I can just hit mute when I'm abou----
------
About to do that.
Alright, assignments.
Firstly, with the Direc----
------
Director-General's leave, please Illario get me to stop throwing up every five minutes, please!

That's the immediate concern. Well, to me at least.
After you're done with me Illario, how about you start training Rebecca in Administration?
I believe Jane int----
------
Intend to have her get some learning by doing. It's not exactly a honeymoon, but you can travel together!

Now this science ark. This could be an incredible treasure trove of all sorts of lost knowledge!
As soon as I'm healt----
------
Healthy, we should investigate it to the fullest!

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Terraforming! A chance for humanity to actually build something new for the first time in centuries!
Imagine it Jane! House Weiss breaking this sad cycle of stagnation we're all trapped in!
We have to do it. We have to.

I admit that my daughter's enthusiasm is.. infectious. But I still have to caution against this.
Not even at the peak of humanity's power did our forebears succeed with this grand dream.
If House Weiss is to have any hope of succeeding in a dream as lofty as this, it needs to already hold a place of uncontested primacy.
Any credible rival would look upon us pursuing this as folly and madness. A weakness to strike at.
Remember that House Khalil once commanded the entire known galaxy. Now look what remains of them.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

I'm favouring bringing prospects from outside the house.
Growing the house, and snatching up outside talent all at once.
After all, some of most noteworthy members of our House leadership are from outside house Weiss, our good Illario, Oriole, my Romeo, both Garcias, obviously, and of course your own Mariko Jane.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Doctor Prudence Weiss, private journal posted:

Poor father! A lifetime of honourable service, only for it to end with such a black mark.
Not since my mother died have I seen him so downcast.
At least Thomas made it out alive, I don't know what I would've done if I lost my brother too! Father would've put himself in front of a firing squad, I'm sure of it. Just thinking about it fills me with despair.
Oh how fragile the existence we're clinging on to truly is. Delicate bubbles of steel and glass floating in the void...

Terraforming. It's absolutely crazy an idea, the resources required, even at a conservative estimate sounds like a bad joke.
I have no idea how we're supposed to pull it off, and it's my job to know. But we have to try.
Humanity is trapped in a slow death spiral. Not to mention something that we've all been very uncomfortably reminded of: the fragility of our lives out here in the inky void, a single lapse of judgement can cost countless lives, all we hold dear..
If there's even a chance, no matter how slim, to build something better, we have to try.

As for training, we'll everything seems to be running smoothly so far, let's just keep doing what we've been doing.
Oh right, Leslie! With the sudden loss of father we've lost a brilliant commander.
Admiral Garcia have done an admirable job picking up the reins, but I think Geraldine could benefit from some extra military training. So I'm putting Leslie on that, unless there's any better ideas.

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 27, 2022

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Disciplined House
It's what Harold :rip: would've wanted.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

The playable map isn't even close to a whole galaxy, which means it's an interstellar market, or if you prefer, intragalactic market!
:argh:
:goonsay:

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Some of us have laws against false marketing. :colbert:

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

I'm voting Technologist Bloodline here

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

I'm deeply saddened by the sudden loss of Admiral Garcia, something I believe goes for all of us.
Not only is this a terrible personal loss for everyone who knew and loved her, the loss of two great Admirals in such a short span have absolutely devastated the efficacy of our Military and peacekeepers.
As such, I propose that I personally start running training sims with the Admiral. I should have access to some of Father's notes as well, I'm sure there's some valuable tricks buried in there.

Illario, I understand that there's some concern over you and Rebecca being unable to concieve.
I'm authorising you to make full use of Medical resources to do a full check-up on Rebecca. Better safe than sorry!
Check your own little swimmers at the same time.

I'm assigning Emily to take over running our Diplomacy training Director-General.

And if Administration can spare Malachi, we can certainly use him. Allen is continuing Rebecca's Technology training, but he's in need of some training himself.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

I'm keeping, if there's no objections from the Director-General of course, all the Technology department's assignments the same as the last time.
Well, mostly.
Jane with all this talk about removing Patton one way or another, I think we should change the subject of your studies to Military.
Now, I know that's far from your favourite subject, but I feel that it's prudent in these times of seemingly never-ending armed skirmishes. Your studies have made you into a fine diplomat.
Maybe not a superb diplomat like Mariko, but very good nonetheless, and as such I feel it's time to shore up some of your less strong skills.

Illario, as mentioned, I'm keeping you assigned to Rebecca, but if you feel you'd rather have someone else take a look for you, I'd be happy to swap our respective assignments.
Just remember that doing so might end up with the two of you stationed at different colonies.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

It's truly remarkable, incredible even!
It appears to be built on a similar logic as the training simulations we all use, but as you know those sims require highly skilled operator to run.
This AI on the other hand is self-guided, able to interpret the situation and find a suitable response in it's no doubt vast database. Truly a remarkable piece of engineering.
Yes, it's a shame about its early memories, but at the same time I would be worried if it could fully explain all of its logged data.

Contextualising your own place in following dramatic shifts in circumstances are remarkably difficult even for us humans.
This machine as seen human civilisation at its peak, the almost complete collapse of it, the reign of House Khalil, and the darkness that followed that end, before arriving in our present era.
Our Late Admiral Garcia experienced one such cataclysmic shift, going directly from the League to our present time and it was a struggle for her every day.
If this machine could process, understand all it's been through, it would mean it's not only sentient, but sapient. And at a level far above any human.
I am saddened we couldn't learn more of our shrouded history from it, but I'm eternally grateful we didn't get the alternative.
We understand the technology around us well enough to operate it, and produce copies of it without truly understanding it. In some rare cases we're able to create lesser imitations, or simple machines derived from more complex ones, but for the most part we're stuck just copying what we have, and the various scraps lost to time we can rediscover.
But self-aware thinking machine from before the Collapse? It would run circles around us given a chance, and then we'd be entirely at the mercy of such a sapient machine's whims.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

If this AI is truly sentient, I feel it would be most unwise to treat it badly.
Being treated as a person is hardly an unreasonable request.

KazigluBey posted:

Meta questions, feel free to not provide an answer if this spoils stuff:

Does the game have end-points baked in, or does it just keep going until the player decides it is over? Also, does space just keep going, or is there an eventual end to colonized systems, a "map's edge" if you will?
There is indeed a limited map, representing the systems that were settled before the Collapse and remain reachable.

There are victory conditions, but I'll leave it at that.

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Oct 19, 2022

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

I admit, my brother makes a strong case for taxation reforms, but I remain convinced that understanding all the technological marvels around us, known and forgotten, grand and minute, is the only way we can survive and thrive as a House, as a League, indeed as a species. (Technologist Bloodline)

On to assignments.
Let's keep most of them running as is, with two exceptions;
Allen has done a reasonably good job so far with Rebecca's training, especially considering his own limited education. In the interest of having the Technology department being as efficient as it can be I wish to personally spend some time filling in the gaps in Allen's education in matters of Technology.
Illario, first of all congratulations! Sally is so cute, and I know you and Rebecca are going to be great parents! Secondly, with the medical worries put to rest I'm reassigning you to instead train Rebecca.
I'm thinking Military sims. Jane is currently undergoing Military training herself, I'm thinking it might be fulfilling, or even fun, for the two of you to compare notes.

Thomas, there's still a handful of proper hospital facilities in a state of disrepair in the vicinity of Vega. Kajam, Haldus, and Alsciaukat all house a non-functional advanced medical facility.
Repairing any of these is going to give a bit of a boost to healthcare here on Vega, but more importantly, add some much needed redundancy.

Now, the exciting stuff!
Terraforming! Two of the candidates my team and I have identified are close to our borders. None of them are reachable without significant hurdles though.
Getting to Sigma Draconis would require conquest against a friendly league, clearly a dishourable action. Of course, if Saiph is devastated enough by the rattle lung outbreak there, we might position ourselves as saviours.
Capella though, we have blood ties to the rulers of that area of space. Maybe Diplomacy could start some gentle probing into having them join the Weiss League?
Arrakis, as an aside I would consider unreachable in our current circumstances. Obviously I wish to secure access to one of these terraforming candidates with minimal, or preferably no bloodshed whatsoever.
If we commit to this grand project, and I really hope we do, it's going to be a gargantuan effort. I feel that if we go around making enemies of our neighbours we might very well end up stretched too thin to defend our holdings and sustain the most important undertaking of an era at the same time, and that is obviously unacceptable.

Polly. I must admit that I feel some unease about the extreme rapidity with which it- sorry, she, has grown and changed.
On the other hand, she's been nothing but completely honest and helpful. I can only attribute my unease to the very human fear of the unknown and with the grace of God I'll get to know her better, understand her, and conquer an unfounded disquiet.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

We've seen what the nobles do, it what do the lower classes do for entertainment?
Bread and circuses is what keeps the peasants from revolting after all.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Prudence Weiss, private journal posted:

A human is imbued with the divine spark we call a soul, that's what sets us apart from animals.
For as long as we can remember philosophers have pondered the possibility that God may imbue other creatures with this divine spark, particularly loyal and intelligent companion animals for the most part.
We in the colonies know that a machine doesn't have this spark. For how could it? How could we be so arrogant to believe something fashioned from imperfect human hands would ever be a fitting vessel for a divine spark?
Well, we were wrong, I'm convinced. Polly is a person. A real person. Lord knows I've had more meaningful exchanges with her than many others in the House.
She's a real person, and I can see no other possibility than that God imparted her with the divine spark of a soul.
Truly then the real arrogance was believing we knew what our Lord could and couldn't do. A lesson mankind seems fated to having to relearn again and again.

I'm delighted to see you value medical resources to the degree that you preempt my request Thomas!
Perhaps something to do with your recent experience? How are you holding up with that by the way, my dear brother? No lingering pains or mental effects?

The instability in the Gilmore League could be fortuitous for us, making it easier to reach a viable terraforming candidate.
But, as always, beyond my and my department's desire to have a such a candidate within our borders, that's a task for Mariko and Carmen's desks.

Assignments: I believe that Allen is proficient enough in the use of training simulators now that he can hold his own providing adequate training to the House.
Similarly Rebecca have a decent foundational knowledge of technology now, so I think we can give her a bit of a break on that front for a while.
With that in mind I'm reassigning Allen to give Vanida some advanced Security training, seeing how that's her primary task and her skills are notably behind the rest of the Security department.
As for my own time, I propose Oriole and I sit down and go through Father's extensive notes on space combat. Specifically the ones about advanced Interceptor maneuvers.
You've always done well in your tournaments Oriole, but I believe some broader Military knowledge may greatly benefit your tournament dogfighting prowess.
The House is in a rather good and stable place at the moment, and I'd like to help my sister-in-law out with the pursuit of her interests.
Thomas, Jane, you could also see it as a way to proactively reducing tournament-related injuries rather than treating them!

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Been a hot minute since I played myself, but I don't believe Romeo being promoted out of house Weiss would take Prudence away. That said, one of their children would then inherit Romeo's position when he kicks it.
(Unless they're already at a higher noble rank in our house, which in practice means Jane's current position, or not directly controllable as a Duke of one of the Weiss League's vassal states.
Or technically a baron, but they inherit a ducal post outside our league they'd move there instead as that's a higher rank.)

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

I'll nab Emily if/when Prudence emigrates then, for the same reasons as EclecticTastes

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Letting everyone know that I am in fact not dead, and is caught up on both the thread and the Technology update. Just haven't had time to type up a post as of yet.
That said, I'm perfectly fine being skipped over this time as to not hold up the LP. I'll backfill Prudence's thoughts on the situation as soon as I can in that case.

For what it's worth I'm not planning any big changes in the assignments, and is going to have Prudence try to convince Thomas of letting Oriole put some of that flight sim training to use before she needs a liver transplant.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Let me begin by saying that while it might look like it, this discovery of an advanced polymer factory, and your decision to tow it to Vega Jane, is far more important than I believe many of you realise.
Polymer is an exceedingly important material, especially to the medical field, and the carbon required to create it is relatively rare in space. Suitable carbon chains that don't require expensive processing exceedingly so.
A facility that produces this vital material at a rate, and more importantly with an efficiency far above anything we've previously have had access to is an incredible boon.
Sure, it doesn't have the appeal of the more visually impressive wonders of the past like the so called ring world at Miaplacidus, but it is a discovery just as important, perhaps even more so.

Speaking of Miaplacidus though, that poor fool Baron Cruz. It takes little more than a passing understanding of physics and colonial infrastructure to realise that we as a species no longer possess materials with the required tensile strength, or the knowledge to produce such materials, needed to make even a rudimentary O'Niell-type habitat. Or the construction techniques needed for the construction even if we had the materials for that matter.
It makes me wonder about the no doubt sorry state of Baron Cruz's Technology department.

These two things do serve to illustrate just how important it is for us to preserve every scrap of pre-Collapse material and knowledge we can though. So much is lost to us, and every year that pass entropy claims more.
I pray to God that our dream of terraforming isn't a fool's hope, and yes, I recognise the irony of speaking in favour of it in the very next breath after deriding Baron Cruz for trying to recreate the wonders of the past.
But the truth of it is that our species is dying. We lack everything but the will needed to create new colonies. And the irradiated remains of Sadalbari is a stark reminder that our colonies are not eternal or indestructible.
The databanks of my department is replete with pre-Collapse blueprints that are useless to us. Some we simply don't understand, many we lack the capability to produce, and many other we simply don't have the materials needed.
Many pre-Collapse blueprints makes heavy use of polymers because before the Collapse polymers were easily accessible, Earth must have had, what must be to us in this age, an unimaginable wealth of carbon and organic materials at large.

With all that said, I must put my vote on Technologists, despite my brother's arguments and figures to focus on wealth. True, we need wealth, vast riches, for us to even have the slightest hope of our dreams. But without the dedication to preserve and rediscover the wonders of the past, wonders that through the grace of God are the sole reason mankind still lives on, who knows what knowledge and wisdom entropy claims next, never discovered or discarded out of a lack of understanding?

Right, assignments; It has been brought to my attention that Geraldine is the most likely candidate to succeed our current esteemed Admiral. And while I hope that God graces Carmen with many more years, I believe it wise to be prepared.
With that in mind, my recommendations are as follows; Allen is to begin training Geraldine in advance Military tactics and strategy, and with Rebecca now having a basic grasp of that same subject Illario should should instead get her started on Security training, an area where her current aptitude is virtually non-existent. And not to pat myself on the back too hard here, but since we started going over Father's notes on dogfighting together Oriole has not been wounded in any tournaments. There's still a wealth of untapped knowledge here, and I believe that if I'm allowed to continue our studies together Oriole is going to be the greatest tournament pilot in the colonies.
That leaves Emily training our Director-General in Military, and I don't see a reason to change this at this time.

Lastly, Thomas, there's still a couple of hospital facilities within operational range of Vega that are in disrepair. At Hyadum and Kajam according to my notes.
Repairing one of these facilities would bring redundancy to the Excellent medical care we all enjoy and benefit from. And I imagine the medicines their chemical labs would be capable of producing would be a source of some wealth for the coffers.

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 18, 2023

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

You know me Jane, it's already a fight against my instincts to not proselytize about technology. I'll gladly have Illario pick up her Technology lessons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Yes, your notes are correct Thomas.
The reason I didn't mention the hospital at Taygeta is that it's too far away from Vega to offer any tangible direct benefit to Vega.
If we are to spend House resources on repairing our vassals' installations, giving priority to those that offer some benefit to our capital system seems obvious. Just like good medical practice really, you focus on the vital parts and move outwards.