Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Crusader Kings in space sounds pretty interesting. The backstory and concept is also a cool way to enable the static landscape you need for this kind of game. Strategy space games nearly always come with colonization, which would be detrimental to the kind of family aristocracy gameplay of a CK clone.

nweismuller LPing this game sounds like a match made in heaven, I've bookmarked the thread :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'd go Merchant and Administrators, followed by Popular Approval. Then we can dip into Loremasters if we still haven't finished the game.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

nweismuller posted:

The main tradeoff is that vassals resent getting punished, even by fines, but assuming you're managing vassal relations decently and can let their resentment fade without them having any actionable crime on your part, collecting the money is indeed pretty simple. The thing is, when you're asked for justice, the person who asked for justice just wants their victimiser punished. Many of the ways you can punish somebody also incidentally have benefits for you (collecting fines, justifying taking territory, whatever), but the 'benefit to you' part isn't relevant to the 'punish the guilty' part.

I can see how a process like this came to be in the honor code culture of Star Dynasties' setting. That the liege profits from punishing their vassals gives them a real incentive to mete out said punishment. If this were like a real court of justice, where the victim gets compensated, then lieges would be much less likely to punish their vassals, especially if the accuser/victim was part of another realm.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

General Revil posted:

That string of marriages and family connections is just insane.

As a long time CK2/CK3 player, this doesn't seem that insane.

There are only two playable ranks if I understand correctly? Duke and whatever goes above it, when you lead a league containing several duchies? It's an interesting decision, because to come back to the Crusader Kings comparison, and the question of whether you can play a minor house/baron, you totally can in CK. Of course what Star Dynasties calls barons are counts in CK, the lowest playable rank. Followed by dukes, kings, and emperors. But the Star Dynasties world looks like it has the scope of a single CK2/3 empire at best, compare to Europe plus significant parts of Africa and Asia, so thr absence of the emperor rank equivalent makes sense.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

MechaCrash posted:

It's just the nature of the genre and political realities that a lot of marriages are going to have some :stare: and :yikes: involved, because "how is this politically advantageous" is pretty much the only consideration.

Yes, very much this. Of course it's more "acceptable" to be able to marry off your 16 year old lesbian daughter to a 52 year old fat guy in a game simulating a medieval setting. At least there are gay marriages in Star Dynasties?

But it overall just once again confirms that hereditary nobility is an awful system of government.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Is there no way to get info about those unexplored systems to the west of our territory/south of the Pruitt system?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Wow. What a find.

I don't know how you can do anything but option 2 or 3 in your narrative LP. The Weiss guild to me looks pretty secure, there are few internal threats, and we seem to be like one of the biggest human realms left. Just scrapping the ship would do little to further the narrative, outclassing our competition even more is not exciting. But if this really is a project that swallows a lot of resources and forces nweismuller to engage in a careful balancing act between funding the terraforming project, but also retain enough money to defend against other realms and to placate the guild's vassals, it would be a cool story to read.

And in-story, I think the sentiment in option 2 is 100% correct. Being forced to live on artificial habitats is a recipe for disaster, a finding a planetary home for mankind is a matter of survival. That said, it would be interesting to see Jane start this project in order to make the Weiss guild the unquestionably dominant power among humanity.

I wonder if this problem has any chance at success. I guess a terraformed planet alone won't be of immediate help, populating it will take time, and building up the infrastructure so that the planet can even start to earn back the investment in it will also cost resources (and time). Still, it would be cool to see such a thing in the LP. If you capture fallen empire planets in Stellaris, you've basically already won, so the overpowered buildings on that system won't be much help. But it's still cool to have them, so I could see something similar happening in Star Dynasties.

I still think it's more likely that the event is impossible to successfully complete, or it will end with "the process has started, it will take a few centuries to complete", which means you won't see results in the time frame of the game. But it would imho still be cool to see the story tied to the event.

Anyway, I haven't claimed a character, so I can't vote for any option. But this is a very exciting time for the LP!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
So the bloodlines upgrades are tied a bit to how many members of your family/dynasty hold titles/are landed. Didn't we miss a big chance to put a member of the Weiss family in power after that one baroness suddenly died without heir?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm also too sleepy to even think about lore requests, Christmas season is just incredibly busy at work. But I'm also too distracted to digest updates, so I wouldn't mind a post delay until after Christmas when I actually have time to read it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I just hope we get our hands on at least one of those planets that perhaps can be terraformed before winning.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Wow, that sucks :(

I hope you can recover, this is an incredible LP. And we were reasonably close to getting a potentially terraformable planet...

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Please continue! It would be such a shame to lose this LP and all the amazing characters you and the readers created.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Would it have been better to upgrade installations at Capella before trying to terraform the planet?