Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
Whew, finally caught up! This is a great LP :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

nweismuller posted:

I continue to sit on cats, away from saves and screenshots, but find myself restless to write something lore-related. Anything people are interested to hear about?

I know it’s kind of a silly question, but do they grow tea in the Colonies? I’d wondered if high teas or something along those lines were a custom of the nobility.

Related to that, what sorts of sweets are the nobility or commoners fond of? I know access to sugar/honey/other sweeteners was an important factor in history, and I imagine it’s hard to grow a lot of cane/beets or keep bees in space.

I’m the guy who reads fantasy/science fiction and wonders about what people eat more than anything :P

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

nweismuller posted:

Tea is a specialty product of a few colonies' hydroponics, and is expensive in most colonies, limited by cost to nobility and rare usage by commoners. Sweets are generally fruit- or berry-based, and may contain additional sweetening in the form of synthetic sweeteners, which are not too very difficult to whip up in a lab. As Vega has a few lemon trees it has carefully preserved for luxury food, this means that lemonades, lemon pies, and lemon trifles are a particular local specialty as far as sweets go. Strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries are fairly commonly grown hydroponically, which makes them more available to the commons than lemons and other such exotics that require soil gardens, and fairly widely available across many colonies.

You may or may not have caught this post https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3997288&pagenumber=3#post522507279 which gave an overview of diet in general, with less of a focus on sweets per se. Does that largely answer your questions?

Yep, it does! Thank you!

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

nweismuller posted:

Life, Robert concluded, seemed good, and he hoped to pass down a prosperous ship to his own young son when the time came.

It’s nice to see our realm prosper from the ground, so to speak.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
I’d like to vote for Blood and Gold. Markets sound fun.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

General Revil posted:

Some tragically beautiful writing

drat. That perspective of the memory really makes you feel just how barely even the most prosperous colonies are scraping by.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

nweismuller posted:

Teaser: update title. "Side Effects May Include Sweating, Chills, Muscle Aches, and Homicidal Insanity".

That goes hard :allears:

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

nweismuller posted:

It's not planned to. Unlike us humans, she's not going to die of age, and she remains forever young at heart.

Kinda heartwarming tbh :3:

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
Glad to see this is back :) I’m pretty invested in watching these characters struggle and flourish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

nweismuller posted:

I have a small teaser for people...

:allears: It’s like throwing a dart at the wall and painting the bullseye around it.